Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

Some figures got released:

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Devblog:Data_to_the_Players

Since the Power to the Players polling system launched we’ve seen just shy of ¾ a million votes cast, coming from over 215,000 players, ranging from level 4 skillers to completionist cape owners. In order to have truly community-driven content, we want to ensure that development is tailored to you: your skills, combat levels, playing habits and more.

That’s where I come in. As a game analyst (and long-time maxed player) I look into player behaviour and provide reports on how you engage with our content releases, enabling developers to make post-release tweaks or plan future content accordingly.

What does this mean for PttP? Well, for ease of reading, I’ll break this into 6 sections, one for each of the currently finished polls:

Decide on Maps for a New Minigame

The winning vote for this poll was Canifis with 27.76% of votes.

map_poll-06094030.jpg

If there are level requirements in a piece of content I’d now want to know the average levels of players who voted for Canifis:

As you can see here, the average voter on this poll had a a skill total of 1865, a combat level of 169 and 5 level 99 skills. To add another twist on things, when looking at votes from just very high 2200+ skill totals, Isafdar actually came out on top with 25% to Canifis’s 22.8%. Isafdar - being the elven forest - likely had an increase of votes due to the Elf City vs. Invention poll running alongside it.

map_poll_heated-06094113.jpg

With elven content primarily aimed at high-levelled players, it’s no surprise that Isafdar had votes to match. The Wilderness had the lowest skill totalled players, which suggests that those voters are PvP and combat-focussed - perhaps with pure accounts.

Drop Table Improvements

This one was more decisive than the map vote. Demons sped ahead and remained there for the entirety of the poll, winning with 57.5% of the votes.

We can see that there's an even spread of levels represented in each category. You don’t see only low levels voting for ghosts, for example, or the average levels would have been much lower. That said, elementals did have the highest levelled players voting for them on average, although this is more due to the sheer volume of demons voters, meaning more lower-levelled voters present in that category. Higher-levelled players still voted for demons more than they did any other option.

drop_poll_heated-06094146.jpg

New Dragon

On average, the highest-levelled players fell into the I don’t want any of the above category and we did see the number of voters nearly halve from the previous two polls. It could be that you simply aren’t as invested in the outcome of this poll as the others, or that some of you weren’t aware that a new poll was taking place. 62,000 players who had voted in a previous poll didn’t vote in this one - perhaps we need to raise awareness when a new poll starts.

dragon_poll-06094237.jpg

An interesting fact to come out of this was when looking at just the lower levelled (0 – 1000 skill total) and those with less in-game wealth, the gold dragon trumped the celestial dragon with 36% to 33% of votes. This is likely due to the description of the gold dragon dropping large sums of gold coins. It's good to know that voters are taking the descriptions into account and not just voting for the coolest name!

Spring Holiday Event

Brassica Prime and Marimbo came out on top with 65% of the votes. I had a hunch that longer-standing players who had experienced more of the traditional events might have had a higher percentage of Traditional Easter Event votes. I was proven wrong - how long you'd played RuneScape had no effect on your voting preference.

spring_poll-06094336.jpg

No one group had significantly more votes for Traditional Easter Event, be it combat, skill total, account age or any other breakdown.

World Reductions

The winning option was to keep them as they are, which got 37,500 (64%) of the votes. Generally, the higher-levelled (both skill total and combat) the player, the more likely they were to vote keep them as they are. My feeling is that there’s a competitive aspect, in which reducing the number of worlds means less training spots for gathering and combat skills.

world_poll-06094400.jpg

Another topic that arose was that Wilderness Warbands players would only vote to keep them as they are, as more worlds means more events. I looked into this, and found that throughout the duration of the world reduction poll 7656 unique players had played Warbands. Of those, 4681 (61.14%) voted in the poll. 3335 (71.25%) voted to keep the number of worlds as they are, 1346 (28.25%) voted to reduce the number. It became evident that even if we only look at voters who've never played Warbands, the outcome remains unchanged, with a 63% majority vote to keep the number of worlds as they are.

Invention Skill vs. The Elf City

Last - but by no means least - our first Dragonstone poll has ended. Over 156,000 of you voted, which resulted in the Elf City beating the Invention skill. As you can see, the voting was a lot closer in this poll than in the others.

invention_elf_poll-06094447.jpg

What really pushed the Elf City into the lead was the number of higher skill totalled players voting for it. Among 0 – 2000 skill total voters, the Invention skill was most popular with 54% of the votes. On the other hand, among everyone above 2000 skill total, the Elf City dominated with 64% of the votes.

Clearly, The Elf City has a lot of higher-levelled players backing it and needs appropriately high-levelled content, some of which we’ll be polling this month.

invention_elf_skill-06094526.jpg

Players with only a handful of skills left to max also heavily voted in favour of The Elf City (not wanting to lose those max capes again so soon, are we?)

invention_elf_99s-06094544.jpg

I think I'll wrap it up there. I know that reading up on data analysis isn’t at the forefront of your minds when you come to play RuneScape, but I hope this was an interesting insight for you - both on what the community wants from the game, and on some of the methods we use to make that happen.

Mod Porky

• Like 2

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Definetly interesting :3

I already thought you would find so =3

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

With elven content primarily aimed at high-levelled players, it’s no surprise that Isafdar had votes to match. The Wilderness had the lowest skill totalled players, which suggests that those voters are PvP and combat-focussed - perhaps with pure accounts.

I voted for the Wilderness on this one. Really, it is one of the most interesting areas in the game and is so under utilized ... 

nyuseg.png

I voted for the Wilderness on this one. Really, it is one of the most interesting areas in the game and is so under utilized ...

I completely agree... even though for the type of minigame we are getting canifis is a good candidate.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yeah, I'm not really sure what I'd be stealing from Wilderness people that can't already be accomplished by murdering the whole lot and just taking it.

also, if wanting to hold onto the max cape was the primary motivator for voting for elf city, it's like, pffffffff

whatever guys

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

Safe minigame and Wilderness ewewew:'(

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

6MaFt.png6MaGB.png

Account Help

I have to say, assuming they pan out well,

Dragonriders, Zaros return and Armadyl origins aren't bad to get 2014 quests going.

I mean I know arma origins was last talked of as being may iirc, but eh still first half.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I think the community here was collectively silent and waiting for this one particular post.

I'm not sure if I should bow or shake your hand :p.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yelps should not ever have been a part of the game, hence I voted to never see him again.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Yelps should not ever have been a part of the game, hence I voted to never see him again.

By the fact two options mention the quest I some how think he's getting a staring role in a quest no matter what and the poll just shapes how he finishes the quest.

This makes me a little sad, but if a quest he must have to die then let it be!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

By the fact two options mention the quest I some how think he's getting a staring role in a quest no matter what and the poll just shapes how he finishes the quest.

And we get 2 free spins I mean, 2 free keys with a quest.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

I'm sure he'll only get a passing mention.

So when does that big ass genie get his comeuppance? And subsequent replacement by rack...

2dgucz6.png

who the heck is voting for mining? mining's one of the easier exp streams in the game once you hit concentrated coal (or lava mine, your choice), and yet fishing's top exp ended at barbarian/fly fishing, which is equally as boring as mining, but with even less exp gain, much less any sort of help at all from citadel bonuses or enhanced gear

since there's zero indication at all that the area is meant for profit, i think people looking for some sort of other reward will be disappointed

8f14270694.jpg

I'm sure he'll only get a passing mention.

So when does that big ass genie get his comeuppance? And subsequent replacement by rack...

Seriousy? At least the genie plays up to a larger portion of the game environment.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png