Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

It's going to be a random number anyway, and in that case, I'll have the 'max combat level = max combat stats' variant rather than the current system.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It's going to be a random number anyway, and in that case, I'll have the 'max combat level = max combat stats' variant rather than the current system.

Combat levels actually do a really good job at assessing win probability right now. Except in extreme cases, if someone's combat level is lower than yours, it means you have a higher chance of winning. The old formula isn't even remotely like that.

200 is a nice, even number. That's really the only reason I like it better... However it seems like they're going to have to rework A LOT of monster combat levels as well, or else this will just screw up even more than it supposedly fixes.

The concept of 200 is one I agree with: That someone with equal levels in the line of combat skills, swapping out Ranged, Magic, and Strength/Attack, are considered equal in potential. There's a plus side to not including Prayer or Summoning in that only raw combat skills are measured, ones that are in effect at the present time, rather than some that may or may not be in use.

I'd say the game will be ruined by nostalgia, but it seems more like it's just running on nostalgic fumes. It's possible if the 07 servers had allowed people to import their levels/items, things like legacy combat and overrides wouldn't have even been considered. More than the year of "Power to the Player", it's "[bleep] progress, scramble to reclaim long-lost memories!"

2dgucz6.png

Combat levels actually do a really good job at assessing win probability right now. Except in extreme cases, if someone's combat level is lower than yours, it means you have a higher chance of winning. The old formula isn't even remotely like that.

It doesn't work for monsters (as they don't have abilities) at all, and it doesn't work in PvP for levels ~170 and over, because equipment doesn't go to 99, and people rarely use t90 equipment in dangerous pvp anyway (dl with darts is the best right now, I think, in terms of gp/performance balance), and there is a huge difference in level 200s as well - it's like using a 1m (static) ruler to measure a person. In that sense, the current formula is just as broken as the old one. It's not like 138 beats 120 wasn't obvious under the old system.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It doesn't work for monsters (as they don't have abilities) at all, and it doesn't work in PvP for levels ~170 and over, because equipment doesn't go to 99, and people rarely use t90 equipment in dangerous pvp anyway (dl with darts is the best right now, I think, in terms of gp/performance balance), and there is a huge difference in level 200s as well - it's like using a 1m (static) ruler to measure a person. In that sense, the current formula is just as broken as the old one. It's not like 138 beats 120 wasn't obvious under the old system.

The current formula is about as good as you'll get once the tiers are filled out. As far as pvm goes, combat levels actually reflect stats outside of bosses now. As long as they don't have any special attacks, you can assume that you're fighting a monster with (combat - 2)/2 defense. Like, that's the most amazing thing ever. Before eoc, combat levels were literally picked randomly by the developers.

Also obviously max combat beats unmaxed combat. A bigger issue is if 120 beats 110, which was only the case with like 60% of builds.

So I assume that the quest isn't coming out until next week?

Yeah they were somewhat sure of themselves that it will be the last update of the month. Also they suspect ROP will be at the end of the month for march.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

at the end of the day this is still a waste of polling when there are actual issues that should be asked about and discussing this is pointless

Yeah haha, they should just have went and fixed the combat calculation instead of wasting a Dragonstone poll on "Should the final number be 138 or 200." The difference is merely cosmetic, they should have added an Opal poll option just for that kind of pointless poll.

Why can't they just have it so your combat level changes based on what style of attack you're using (magic, ranged, melee)? Obviously I'm not an expert in the little details of how it'd be done, but still.

• Like 1

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Why can't they just have it so your combat level changes based on what style of attack you're using (magic, ranged, melee)? Obviously I'm not an expert in the little details of how it'd be done, but still.

That doesn't fix hybridding. How would I know if he's going to bust out Magic beforehand?

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

First of all, you could have 40 ranged and 99 magic, attack someone with ranged, and then switch to magic.

Also, you want to avoid generating combat levels on the fly. It's better to just read it from a database and store it until the session ends.

Yeah, but do weapons in your yak count?

And if they do, is it fair that a yak can be killed and you'll be without a weapon?

And how fair is it that you can pick up a dropped weapon and suddenly gain 30 combat levels?

Perhaps a solution for pvp areas would be to display 3 combat levels side by side - melee, ranged and mage - could do it with little icons or the colours (orange/yellow, green and blue)

You might not be using all three but people would be able to see at a glance the kind of threat you could pose.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah, but do weapons in your yak count?

And if they do, is it fair that a yak can be killed and you'll be without a weapon?

And how fair is it that you can pick up a dropped weapon and suddenly gain 30 combat levels?

That's a design oversight. They could code it to calc your combat level similar to how your current/base level is calced. Instead it would be highest usable weapon/level. So say you are carrying an abyssal wand and only have 75 magic. You obtain a virtus wand somehow. Then your base would remain the same potential of 75.

It would operate under the same concept that players shouldn't have misleading stats. That was the whole reason of 200 combat.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Or people should just use the highscores.

Sure, lemme just pull up the highscores and type in illilililil real fast...

Oh I died. Nevermind, don't need to know anymore.

• Like 3

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Or you could have a combat level of 200, then have another number next to it or something

so

200 - 495

The 495 counts att, str, def, magic and ranged. 99*5.

Lots of loop holes here, but an idea.

Becomes impossible to tell for non-maxed which is the majority of where the concern lies.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Combat formula will never fix that. Who would stay in the wild while searching anyway. They could easiely add an highscore tab. Click play to search.

Combat formula will never fix that. Who would stay in the wild while searching anyway. They could easiely add an highscore tab. Click play to search.

I could guestimate most levels from anyone I ran into in the wildy. I knew instantly who was maxed and was going to wreck my face back when I was a level 90~ trying to train agility and I also knew instantly who was a non-threat.

Now I see a level 200 and I just log instantly. Even if they're some 45hp 99 magic/99 defence account with 1 prayer. Because now I have no idea if my enemy likely has turmoil, what their melee stats are, what their HP level is, what quests they likely have done. Nothing. Zilch. No information. They can either be a huge threat or an annoying fly I can swat away myself. I don't know.

About searching in the wildy:

Lemme just ask them kindly to stay where they are while I leave the wilderness, search them up, decide if I want to fight them or not, and return to where they were.

And then Stat Spy is suddenly a very useful spell. Too bad it effectively prevents you from maging.

Ever since they introduced the spell and showed that they had the ability to show other players' levels in game I always thought we should be able to right click "inspect" players for their skills without having to use a magic spell to do so.

• Like 1

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

I could guestimate most levels from anyone I ran into in the wildy. I knew instantly who was maxed and was going to wreck my face back when I was a level 90~ trying to train agility and I also knew instantly who was a non-threat.

Now I see a level 200 and I just log instantly. Even if they're some 45hp 99 magic/99 defence account with 1 prayer. Because now I have no idea if my enemy likely has turmoil, what their melee stats are, what their HP level is, what quests they likely have done. Nothing. Zilch. No information. They can either be a huge threat or an annoying fly I can swat away myself. I don't know.

About searching in the wildy:

Lemme just ask them kindly to stay where they are while I leave the wilderness, search them up, decide if I want to fight them or not, and return to where they were.

And then Stat Spy is suddenly a very useful spell. Too bad it effectively prevents you from maging.

Ever since they introduced the spell and showed that they had the ability to show other players' levels in game I always thought we should be able to right click "inspect" players for their skills without having to use a magic spell to do so.

The should just have an examine thats active in the wild.