Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

Or you could have a combat level of 200, then have another number next to it or something

so

200 - 495

The 495 counts att, str, def, magic and ranged. 99*5.

Lots of loop holes here, but an idea.

Becomes impossible to tell for non-maxed which is the majority of where the concern lies.

Have it change colors with a higher level stat? Hover over their name to get that total number as well as HP/magic/ranged/att/str/def ?

Or people should just use the highscores.

Sure, lemme just pull up the highscores and type in illilililil real fast...

Oh I died. Nevermind, don't need to know anymore.

Combat formula will never fix that. Who would stay in the wild while searching anyway. They could easiely add an highscore tab. Click play to search.

I could guestimate most levels from anyone I ran into in the wildy. I knew instantly who was maxed and was going to wreck my face back when I was a level 90~ trying to train agility and I also knew instantly who was a non-threat.

Now I see a level 200 and I just log instantly. Even if they're some 45hp 99 magic/99 defence account with 1 prayer. Because now I have no idea if my enemy likely has turmoil, what their melee stats are, what their HP level is, what quests they likely have done. Nothing. Zilch. No information. They can either be a huge threat or an annoying fly I can swat away myself. I don't know.

About searching in the wildy:

Lemme just ask them kindly to stay where they are while I leave the wilderness, search them up, decide if I want to fight them or not, and return to where they were.

And then Stat Spy is suddenly a very useful spell. Too bad it effectively prevents you from maging.

Ever since they introduced the spell and showed that they had the ability to show other players' levels in game I always thought we should be able to right click "inspect" players for their skills without having to use a magic spell to do so.

The should just have an examine thats active in the wild.

that's gonna be a big feat to do I think; something instanced to each player that updates as their stats go up etc?

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

[qfc]16-17-629-65301752[/qfc]

One of a Kind has been delayed by two weeks and will now be out in March.

In it's place next week we are getting revolution, ability queuing and upgraded momentum in the live game.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think it is an even trade regardless.

No one should complain really with revolution coming right after bxpw I think. That just sweet bliss...

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think its much more acceptable by the fact they've been open honest and announced it an advance rather than the usual the week comes and goes with no sign of the update and we're lucky if a jmod in passing mentions on twitter to a direct question it got delayed.

• Like 5

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Until of course we find out that Fate of the Gods is delayed till April, of course. I was fully expecting to learn in Fate of the Gods to be delayed (they had sort of hinted that it would be early March, then it was announced it might be late March, and possibly early April), but I guess they have really excelled themselves in delaying this time. A shame, I was really anticipating this ever since they announced in the BTS.

Until of course we find out that Fate of the Gods is delayed till April, of course. I was fully expecting to learn in Fate of the Gods to be delayed (they had sort of hinted that it would be early March, then it was announced it might be late March, and possibly early April), but I guess they have really excelled themselves in delaying this time.

I don't think it really qualifies as a delay when they have not announced it will be coming at a specific time.

Any hints they do give of when they expect it to be ready before officially saying it will be X are merely development cycle estimates - a measure that is likely to shift quite dramatically as development progresses.

It is simply the nature of development, especially in a behemoth like Runescape, that when you sit down and start you might be able to say we hope this will be out this year. But then a bit further down the line you'll find stumbling blocks and have to say well this probably wont be done til March next year and so on and so forth. It is a fools errand to judge them over shifting development scopes on projects we have no official release date for - even the biggest game devs in the world have to shift their estimated releases frequently sometimes by several years.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Except that Jagex does this on a consistent basis, particularly with their quests. It suggests to me that they just don't manage their time well at all. Here and there it's understandable, but with them, it's like a pattern. Especially when we are down to effectively two-update months -- how can they still be consistently struggling? They have consistently been putting out very underwhelming quests for the past year (fewer quests than any other year in RS history, several delayed, and one that was a major disappointment [botD - the lackluster quest which in addition to being completely disappointing, it turned out that they forgot to put any post-quest dialogue, and actually had to make a thread about it afterwards asking people what they would like to see after people had already accepted a delay and done it!]). They really needed to make up for that this year and they just haven't. Their whole act doesn't scream "we were trying really hard and at the last moment this thing came up that was totally out of our control, and now we have to delay the thing", it's more like "we left this till the last moment, we rushed it and it became apparent that it probably can't just be done so quickly, so delay it is". It reminds of me school really (I was sort of a procastinator as well); most of my professors had pretty strict late penalties. A few were understanding, but if the same people continually kept up coming to them every single time, suddenly they wouldn't be so understanding anymore. It's not the best analogy in the world (as, again game development is different and there is more uncertainty there), but it holds, and it seems to be a pattern for Jagex. 

I would of course prefer that they do a proper job and not release it now if it isn't finished, but again, to me it seems that they are only at this stage because they mismanaged their time. They are super behind on quests (at least two quests slated for last year or early 2014 were not released). Not impressed at all, and completely find their work ethic to be suspect.

• Like 4

I wouldn't say they delay consistently with quests. We've had 2 that I can think of that have actually been delayed from BTS release.

All the rest have simply been estimates of when things might be ready, or 'we hope to statements'

Has it been quiet on quests lately?

Certainly.

Have they actually delayed any that we had 100% solid release windows for?

Other than this GM being delayed, no they haven't. The only ones 'missing' are ones they mentioned they hoped to have out or estimated might be ready.

We all know 2013 had scheduling issues, the html 5 engine hit stumbling blocks and they pushed back the launch which in turn saw other projects pushed back and dev budgets quickly re-evaluated.

I don't think its fair to judge them ongoing from that though really, it was a mess and they dealt with it as they could. Its infeasible for them to 'make up for it' in the sense of filling in the 'missing' updates as extra to the normal schedule - all they can do is try to not have the same sort of issues again. And frankly they are doing well with that so far, first delay issue of the year and not only have they given us forewarning and apology (opposed to ignoring it or releasing subpar) they have also found a means to fill in the week with something at least (the revolution etc update.)

Would it be nice if they pulled through and made it up to us on the quest front?

Absolutely, but lets not judge an egg as bad before its even been cracked.

We haven't had any quests this year yet so we can't exactly judge them for not making it up at this point.

Sure February's got nudged to March, but that now means March should have 2 and we have no reason to assume that won't happen at this point.

And as for April onwards, well we simply don't know. Yes we know of a few that are in the works, but we have no idea when and where these will land or what their quality will be like.

And no last moment issues do not equate to leaving things til the last minute in the slightest.

The nature of game dev in an industry like mmorpgs is that turn over is tight - things are being bug tested right before they go live and that is perfectly normal.

It is an ever present possibility an issue can come up at the last moments mere days or hours before launch even that can require a rethink of the release window; unless you want to rewrite the entire convention of operating a commercial mmorpg in a capitalist world and redefine the parameters of profitability to allow them to sit on updates for weeks on end just incase it needed extra bug fix time there is nothing that can be done about it. 

Dev schedules change, bugs crop up that is life. Unless its in black and white in the BTS saying it will come this month is a fools errand to consider it set in stone or judge for the dev timeframe altering.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

As an avid quester, i can say that i would personally prefer them to get it right, rather than rush it. As for them releasing momentum and revolution into the live game, I'm honestly salivating. I can't wait for those features and think that is both a fair and equal replacement of the quest.

As for complaining about late updates, i honestly see the point that yes updates should be released when they give definitive dates. However i don't think it's fair to hold them to their word so far in the past. If one thing gets pushed back, then they arent going to proceed as planned. So if they say one update should happen this year i take it with a grain of salt because a year is a long time and subject to change. Honestly im suprised they rolled out the quest as quickly as they did with the poll only having finished a short while ago. Realistically thinking though, it makes sense that if they can't get one thing out on time that the rest would be affected by that and delayed as well.

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

I am absolutely thrilled we're getting Revolution next week, instead of that quest. Revolution will be a life saver.

• Like 1

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

We can no longer spend WE2 renoun after the next update, so if you still have some, spendspendspend.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

One of a Kind will require: A Tale of Two Cats, The World Wakes, Missing Presumed Death, and Kings Ransom 

and seems like something extra if ROTM is also finished.

Source: https://twitter.com/JagexRaven/status/436135446402187264

• Like 2

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Robert the Strong tie-in? WANT

Hmm, considering the quest description says we have to venture into his library, not really a surprise. :p

Also: it seems having done ROTM and having all the cupboard stuff from Kethsi seems to give extra dialogue options, so it might be a good idea to carry them around when doing the quest in the near future. :)

King's Ransom makes perfect sense.

The BTS said Hannibus was locked in stone. During King's Ransom you have to free King Arthur, who was also trapped in stone. It sounds like the animate rock scroll will make another appearance for One of a Kind.

200000000.png

The BTS said Hannibus was locked in stone. During King's Ransom you have to free King Arthur, who was also trapped in stone. It sounds like the animate rock scroll will make another appearance for One of a Kind.

This is what I thought when I saw that req.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Some legacy mode discussion happening at http://runezone.com/radio/ now, Mod Ryan/Chris L/Jane/Pi all discussing. Few Q&A things.

It's over now.

Some stuff from it:

Zuriel's weapons will have miasmic spell as a spec.

Armadyl battlestaff will get a spec much like rapid fire "Armadyl's Tempest"

Drygores are unlikley to get a spec, most likley to be a utility rather than straight out damage.

All abilities will be looked over, more focus on PvP, Chris L in charge of PvE balancing, Pi in charge of PvP balancing - Changes being looked out.

Most bosses will be limited in Legacy mode, will NOT be locked out of them.

Overloads could boost to 125 again, but unlikely to happen- Overloads actually give a massive boost currently, but it's not really visible.

Armour classifications (Tank Power etc) might be removed.

Chris L forgot what a fighter torso was.

Idea is to remove the complexity of EoC.

(Pi?): Dual Wield will be equal DPS to 2h

Old style stance graphics won't be coming back.

Combat based jewellery might be changed in some way.

HTML5 is still being worked on - Focus has been shifted towards a client, which is being worked on using HTML5 tech, more details to come in the future.

Rollbacks will be case-by-case basic most likley, Skillers/Low defence pures will have priority.

Poll relating to a soloable boss coming very soon.

They have an idea for the new hardmode rotation, they "have plans"

Ryan has quit Vorago because he hasn't had drops, Chris L then got b2b orbs the same day. :>

t90 2h weps will be coming eventually.

Chris L has odd socks on.

Chris L has another lunchtime project he's working on, that might be picked up soon, not ready to be told about yet.

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Overloads boosting to 125 again would definitely be nice.

Animate rock scroll made its initial appearance in One Small Favour.