Behind the Scenes - August 2014

Saradomin_Mage

Behind the Scenes - August 2014

Our longest-running quest series concludes this month with Plague's End - a massive Grandmaster quest that's also the lead-up to the opening of Prifddinas - the Elf City - later this year.

There's also a month-load of clan updates and events, a boss-bashing Slayer update and a player-pitched overhaul to Barbarian Assault. It's looking like an awesome August for RuneScape!

Plague's End

There’s a massive milestone for questers this month as we bring you Plague's End: the exciting conclusion to RuneScape’s longest running quest series, which began with Plague City back in 2002.

It's a sprawling, two-hour+ Grandmaster quest that'll see you start a revolution, complete light puzzles, seek out the lost leaders of the fabled elf clans, and finally come face-to-face with the legendary Dark Lord himself.

bts_news_images-01162538.png

Earn huge rewards like 800k XP over a range of skills and a special outfit to help you with all your Thieving needs.

This quest's also the prelude to the opening of the awe-inspiring Elf City when it starts to open next month - and you'll need to complete it if you want to get in.

Get working on the requirements, listed below. You definitely don't want to miss this epic quest.

Requirements:

• 75 Agility
  • 75 Crafting
  • 75 Construction
  • 75 Dungeoneering
  • 75 Herblore
  • 75 Mining
  • 75 Prayer
  • 75 Ranged
  • 75 Summoning
  • 75 Woodcutting
  • Catapult Construction
  • Making History
  • Within The Light
Clan Month

The elves aren’t the only ones to breathe life into their clans this month. You’ll also benefit from a batch of improvements to player-run clans, as discussed with you on the forums over the last year.

• Reworked Clan Camp
  • New vexillum stands and teleport flag in Burthorpe
We're also bringing in a bunch of temporary benefits for the Clan Month:
  • XP return from skill plots in citadels increased to 140%
  • Increased XP buffs, heals and damage protection from your clan avatar
  • Increased bonus XP from your quartermaster and right-click fealty reward from your clan cloak
We're also making some more functional improvements to clan systems like links to the clan homepage on the vexillum interface - and more.

There are plenty of podcasts and competitions coming up too, as we get ready for the Clan Cup. Get practicing - registration will open mid-August, ready for the Clan Cup to start at the beginning of September!

There’s never been a better reason to start recruiting for your clan or join a clan if you’re not already in one. Perhaps you’ve got a citadel that you’ve been neglecting - go and give it some TLC!

Soul Reaper

The ninjas have been busy too, bringing you a Slayer update we're calling Soul Reaper.

You see, Death is getting a little frustrated with the amount of life these boss monsters have, so he wants you to kill them. All of them. Lots and lots of times.

As a reward for completing his special assignments, he’s happy to offer fat chunks of Slayer XP, plus access to a brand new gem - which can be crafted into some tasty, top-tier jewellery. These are far more powerful than the onyx gear you have available right now, although they still require onyx to craft.

You’ll also be able to earn larger bonuses to your health in PvM battles via the bonfires and get access to some new stats showing you your best times for killing each boss - plus a record of how many times you've killed them.

Barbarian Assault Rework

After an amazing pitch last year from PrimalMoose during RuneFest’s Dragons'-Den-style competition, we’ve taken Barbarian Assault and shoved it down the gullet of a Penance runner. It’s been slashed viciously by a Penance fighter, gnawed on by a healer, eyeballed by a spawn and revived by a Penance Queen - more deadly and rewarding than ever before.

bts_news_images-01162636.jpg

Take on the new hard mode to fight the Penance King, using all the teamwork you can muster! Experience a shiny new environment, improved Penance creature graphics, and updated rewards! Plus, dual-wield flamethrowers!

The whole minigame is really quite fantastic, and the feel and vibe of the original game is still there - just even more MEGA.

There are brand new rewards too but you’ll have to try it out to learn more about them.

With absolutely no level requirements, there's no excuse not to go try Barbarian Assault! Access to the minigame can be found by the Barbarian Assault course - just a click of a games necklace away.

In Other News

You’ll be able to find some brand new wings and tails to play about with in Solomon's Store this month, and we're releasing our 1000th music track: a real labour of love from our cracking Audio Team.

Hopefully you’ll be able to recognise some of our inspiration and even hear quite a few Jagex voices involved in the track. Don’t forget the awesome new emote for it too!

We've listened to your feedback and are making some tweaks to the world map icons - bringing them back in line with what you're used to.

Don’t forget that we're also releasing a huge number of dormant account names for you to use and making some significant changes to the Adventurer's Log - like being able to see your skill history.

Have fun!

Mod Mark and the RuneScape Team

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan - not a promise - that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Lmfao @ the bloopers at the very end of the video

Now we know what he spends all that MS money on  ;)

Sounds like a great month!

Couldn't imagine the elf finale not being incredibly awesome after all the BSing and time spent on it haha

Inb4 the "Dark Lord" is some random new character though >.<

Lots of great rewards for Boss Slayer, not sure about the prices but we'll see! [buy onyx]

Really hoping that they finally make Clan C*l*oaks into overrides, damn shame if they went through all those other improvements but forgot about that, lol

Also, looks like they're letting us finally wear wings + capes/tails (they've been talking about it forever on the SGS forums)

2dgucz6.png

Sounds like a solid month and sounds like elf finale is only 2 weeks away as well!

The new 'top tier' jewellery I'm unsure on; they already usurped onyx with the sara stuff (among others) and further with the dg ones.

Is this new gem going to be better than the dg necks or just better than onyx?

Also very pleased that it appears wings and tails are being separated from capes in overrides.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I wonder if the new jewelry will have a level requirement. Ordinary gem-based jewelry like the fury doesn't but newer things like sara and dg ammys do have level requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if these are level 90 pieces of jewelry. They seem to be filling out that tier quickly, and will hopefully get to lvl 95 equipment

Helical.png

I better finish the remaining elf quest I have this week. I doubt Plagues End will be this coming week but I midaswell prepare. Clan xp buffs are exciting, more reason to cap is going to spark a lot of activity in clans. 

Low_C.png

If the cosmetic overrides fall under the trimmed completionist cape requirement, then this looks to be one of the most brutal reqs we've ever seen:

aAo6H.png

dat white knight armour placeholder graphic though

other perm unlocks. looks like 6000 slayer points for the bonfire boost one. pretty heavy stuff.

aAout.png

6Ij0n.jpg

If the cosmetic overrides fall under the trimmed completionist cape requirement, then this looks to be one of the most brutal reqs we've ever seen:

aAo6H.png

dat white knight armour placeholder graphic though

other perm unlocks. looks like 6000 slayer points for the bonfire boost one. pretty heavy stuff.

aAout.png

=(  I might actually have to learn to rots

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

http://[Use Quick Find Code]/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?309,310,673,65280004,goto,1

Just for reference

Says Aug 18

It's wings + tail or wings + cape, but not cape + tail or all 3 lol

Tbf keeping tail and cape mutually exclusive kinda makes sense cause there is no way in heck they wouldn't clip and if it was irl the cape would just hide the tail anyway.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Nvm Helring, disaster averted :P

aAoa7.png

Thank you =)  was considering asking but the risk of an affirmative answer was too scary

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Mod Ryan has also mentioned that you can purchase the unlocks for either boss slayer points or regular slayer points, for the ones that show both.

6Ij0n.jpg

Really looking forward to the quest and boss slayer. The rewards sound great, though I'm kind of torn because I haven't killed Araxxor yet... Just made it to the last phase before being combo'd. I do want to go for the overrides too (they look better in game than the concept art) but ~25-30 kills of every boss sounds a little much for me right now. Guess I'll be spending what I can of my weekend working on it. And if that includes /all/, meaning no toggle for group bosses, I'm either going to have to put up with horrible masses (rago) or try to get my own team together...

For the Boss Slayer Points I wouldn't need to kill each boss right, just whatever I'm assigned and I could skip ones I have trouble with or have never done? Or do we not know this yet?

Also the month is looking AWESOME!!!

90.png

---------------------------- ';..;' ----------------------------

max.png

After all these years we're getting the final quest in the elf series. This is going to be more than awesome. I don't even have words.

/ 10 month.
  • Like 1

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Boss slayer dev updated:

- Update 01/08/2014

We're coming to the end of the project now. Our work should be complete as of the end of next week and will be with you shortly after that. I hope you're all getting excited for the release! Although we're getting close to finishing, there's still plenty to discuss and a few bits and pieces to show off.

So the new spider boss went out and has no doubt caused you some upset if you've gone to see it, it's pretty tough. The kill tracking and timer for this boss have also gone out which we're recording. It's nice to see people comparing their fastest kill times for a variety of bosses on the forums and various other social media sites. Hopefully we'll be able to incorporate some hiscores for this at some point, the more the community get involved with Boss Slayer the more likely it is to happen sooner.

Stu and Labl have been working on a four tiered rainbow lootbeam which can be unlocked through the new points system, giving the option to toggle between the standard lootbeam and this new one. Death in his office will now become the NPC to adjust your lootbeam preferences, instead of the current Major Mary Rancour in Burthorpe.

Labl has taken Ana's concept from last week’s update and has created the character model, which looks really nice. I can definitely see a lot of hardcore PvMers going for this. What do you think of it?

Boss_Slayer_-_Outfit_male-01114105-800px

Boss_Slayer_-_Outfit_female-01114223-800

Labl has also given me these two pictures of Death’s Office to show you. Again, I’m really impressed with how this has turned out.

Boss_Slayer_-_Deaths_Office_1-01114337-8

Boss_Slayer_-_Deaths_Office_2-01114423-8

Whilst Ana and Asherz polish off the remaining development work, Ryan and Oliver have been testing alongside them to ensure that it’s ready for release. No major bugs have been found during the project but here’s a few pictures of some of the graphical ones we’ve discovered, which we thought you might like to see.

Boss_Slayer_-_Bug_1-01114610.PNG

Boss_Slayer_-_Bug_2-01114639.PNG

-

The information above is subject to change during development.

Mods Ana, Asherz, Ryan, Oliver, Stu O and Labl

And wings and capes topic for those interested... With a picture to judge by:

Wings and Capes

*UPDATE* - We have decided to allow wings and capes to be worn together and are now looking into how best to do so.

Hey everyone!

Ever since we released wings onto Solomon's Store we have received feedback regarding being unable to wear capes and wings at the same time. The reason behind this decision is that when you wear a set of wings with a cape, it causes graphical clipping where the cape passes through the wings.

As this year is all about Power to the Players we wanted to get your opinions on the issue. We are prepared to allow capes to be worn with wings if that is what you really want.

Here is an image to help give you all an idea of what it would look like if you wore both wings and a cape:

mtx_wings_cape_test-28084739.jpg

As you can see there is clipping between the cape and the wings, but the key question is would you rather have the clipping and be able to wear your capes with your wings, or would you rather keep the wings as they are?

Please post in this thread with your preference and we will take it into consideration. We will then get back to you with a decision as to whether we should allow capes and wings to be worn together.

If we do decide to allow wings and capes to be worn together you will not be forced to do so, just have the option to. You will still be able to wear wings without capes.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

very excited for the boss slayer outift.  trying to decide now if i woudl rather farm the 4000 likely necessary kills at bandos or tryhard and do it at rots.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

very excited for the boss slayer outift.  trying to decide now if i woudl rather farm the 4000 likely necessary kills at bandos or tryhard and do it at rots.

KBD

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

maybe the best balance of speed and money would be ascension legios which are around 60-80 kills/hr

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

MAKE ANYONE ABLE TO USE THE AVATAR NOW WITH A ROLE RATHER THAN A RANK

Or else.

Yeah, we've been asking for that for a while...not sure if the whole clan permission overwrite that is required for this update is coming this month, but it could be.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.