[16-2-15] Ninja Update – Return of the Wildywyrm

Leik

You can't expect to not get pked in the wildy.

That's the reason right there. Personally, I don't like pking. Runescape pvp is frustrating, not fun, and I don't want to have to worry about it when doing a non-pvp activity (slayer).

I also don't like how Jagex has always pushed these updates as something to "increase activity" in the wilderness. Turning one ditch into a pvp ground zero doesn't restore the wilderness to its former glory; it removes all of the fun from the primary users of the content. The wilderness should be populated with people who want to pvp, and there are hundreds of games that prove people will compete with each other with the only reward being the fight. The fact that the wilderness is a ghost town isn't due to there not being enough skillers running around, it's due to pvp not being inherently fun enough to keep a stable pool of players around. Forcing players into a pvp zone by sacrificing potentially good content is not, and historically has never been the answer.

Personally, I don't like getting griefed at bosses and skill resources. I'll gladly fight over them in Wilderness though. Green drags all over ^-^

You mean runite being the endgame gear and only to be found in Wilderness?

Go rago, stay out of wild

problem solved, dw the weapons aren't 2b for years on end and you don't have to be in a special clique to go kill them.

Self-sufficient PK gear ftw

Now I can barrow, do ports, kill revs, hunt wirms, PK crashers and feed on their rage  :)

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Y'know, it'd be cool if we could treat "I don't want to play this content because I don't find PvP fun" as a reasonable answer that had a response other than "NO SHUT UP GET IN THE WILDERNESS AND LET ME PK YOU". I mean... Are people allowed to not want to have to risk their gear and learn an entirely new metagame that they don't enjoy just so that they can keep doing something that they do like?

But apparently Jagex is the one making the latter comment, so what do I know

• Like 4

I was really surprised the Wildywyrm was not a toggle task. It's how I would have personally implemented it and I don't identify myself as someone who hates the wilderness. Boss-like monsters are toggleable, so monsters that are going to feature player versus player combat should be toggleable as well. Even in the Old School Runescape Wilderness rejuvenaton, you don't have to kill the bosses, fish the fish, etc. But if you get a wildywyrm task and have no slayer points, you're out of luck. Makes no sense.

At the same time there's a bit of me saying that you should just go into the wilderness. You risk nothing now with the three item thing protect thing and from what I've heard people aren't too aggressive over there. I'm looking forward to more wilderness centered updates.

• Like 4

-Sobend

Proud to be free from the tyranny of pants. Hurrah!

I went to wildy wyrms... surprisingly good money (for now) - searing ashes were selling for 8.5-9k. And because it's so close to 30 wilderness, if someone comes you don't like just stay in combat, surge to the south and hope you can get to lvl 29 wildy before combat ends.

Or you can just pay Jerambo for protection, like I did.

g3k1f.jpg

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I was really surprised the Wildywyrm was not a toggle task. It's how I would have personally implemented it and I don't identify myself as someone who hates the wilderness. Boss-like monsters are toggleable, so monsters that are going to feature player versus player combat should be toggleable as well. Even in the Old School Runescape Wilderness rejuvenaton, you don't have to kill the bosses, fish the fish, etc. But if you get a wildywyrm task and have no slayer points, you're out of luck. Makes no sense.

At the same time there's a bit of me saying that you should just go into the wilderness. You risk nothing now with the three item thing protect thing and from what I've heard people aren't too aggressive over there. I'm looking forward to more wilderness centered updates.

That's dumb... (toggle)

✿ ♥‿♥)

That's dumb... (toggle)

From a pker's standpoint, that's dumb. However, if you look at the tasks that are toggleable, they are either far stronger than regular tasks (TDs), or they are of a special nature that Jagex is aware the majority may not find appealing.

• Like 1

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

No i'm saying it's dumb that it can't be toggled.

I posted earlier that nobody is being forced,

now they are.

I'm against seperating PvE/PvP but i'm tired of all the hate ahahah...

Then again same could be said about Warbands which is only half truth because you can get any rate outside of the wilderness + you can get brawlers everywhere now too. I've dubbed it safe by now lol

• Like 2

✿ ♥‿♥)

From a pker's standpoint, that's dumb. However, if you look at the tasks that are toggleable, they are either far stronger than regular tasks (TDs), or they are of a special nature that Jagex is aware the majority may not find appealing.

I mean, as far as consistency goes... You can toggle Glacors. I'd like to think PKers are a tiny bit more dangerous than Glacors.

• Like 1

I was saying they should be toggle-able, I thought Vork was saying they shouldn't be.

Y'know, it'd be cool if we could treat "I don't want to play this content because I don't find PvP fun" as a reasonable answer that had a response other than "NO SHUT UP GET IN THE WILDERNESS AND LET ME PK YOU". I mean... Are people allowed to not want to have to risk their gear and learn an entirely new metagame that they don't enjoy just so that they can keep doing something that they do like?

This. So much this. I don't like PKing; I don't like risk-based PvP. I don't especially like safe PvP either (like, castle wars and soul wars), but it can be okay. I suspect that, even if I invested the time and energy into learning how to be good at it, I still wouldn't like it. I definitely don't want to invest that much more energy just to be able to continue slaying (a normally non-PvP activity) without penalty. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to have.

• Like 4

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Y'know, it'd be cool if we could treat "I don't want to play this content because I don't find PvP fun" as a reasonable answer that had a response other than "NO SHUT UP GET IN THE WILDERNESS AND LET ME PK YOU". I mean... Are people allowed to not want to have to risk their gear and learn an entirely new metagame that they don't enjoy just so that they can keep doing something that they do like?But apparently Jagex is the one making the latter comment, so what do I know

This. So much this. I don't like PKing; I don't like risk-based PvP. I don't especially like safe PvP either (like, castle wars and soul wars), but it can be okay. I suspect that, even if I invested the time and energy into learning how to be good at it, I still wouldn't like it. I definitely don't want to invest that much more energy just to be able to continue slaying (a normally non-PvP activity) without penalty. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to have.

It's not. It really should be togglable.

In all honesty though, blocking them is a pretty reasonable expectation. You don't have to do them but you lose a block space in order to do so. People who are willing to do them should have a benefit over someone who doesn't. Soul Reaper's system is a solid example that works well.

I think I understand why some of them are toggled but these aren't if you look at it from a different angle. What do muspah, nihil, tormented demons and glacors all have in common. You could say the difficulty, but I think the more important thing in the J Mods' minds may be that they're all unlocked from quests. They don't want to encourage players to avoid quests just to keep a monster from showing up as a slayer task. So, they made these quest monsters toggle tasks so that players can do the quests even if they hate those monsters (or think they would). Lava strykes only have a slayer level req, so they treated them like regular slayer tasks.

I still think it should be toggle, but after thinking it through I understand why they didn't do it automatically.

• Like 5

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I think I understand why some of them are toggled but these aren't if you look at it from a different angle. What do muspah, nihil, tormented demons and glacors all have in common. You could say the difficulty, but I think the more important thing in the J Mods' minds may be that they're all unlocked from quests. They don't want to encourage players to avoid quests just to keep a monster from showing up as a slayer task. So, they made these quest monsters toggle tasks so that players can do the quests even if they hate those monsters (or think they would). Lava strykes only have a slayer level req, so they treated them like regular slayer tasks.

I still think it should be toggle, but after thinking it through I understand why they didn't do it automatically.

You are right, I think I even remember people not playing those quests because of getting those tasks before the block system was in place.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Ehh I don't think it's fair to say you dislike something without actually putting in a decent effort to learn it first. Everybody has a tendency to dislike things that they're bad at, after all.

77yLQy8.png

Ehh I don't think it's fair to say you dislike something without actually putting in a decent effort to learn it first. Everybody has a tendency to dislike things that they're bad at, after all.

I think it's perfectly fair. I'm well aware that I don't like certain sexual activities, despite never having tried them. I also know that I could be quite good at PvP, if I were so inclined. I'm just not.

If I want to test my skill against other players, or make tactical decisions in a head-to-head contest, I go play League. Not Runescape.

• Like 3

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

If I want to test my skill against other players, or make tactical decisions in a head-to-head contest, I go play League. Not Runescape.

Kind of where I'm coming from as well. Even before getting into the fact that people are generally good about deciding whether or not they actually like certain kinds of gameplay once they get the basics down... You're basically weighing the time and resources it takes to (re)learn PvP, when there's a sizable chance that you might never actually start to like it or that the parts you mastered would be removed in a random combat patch, against just playing another competitive game with more stable or enjoyable mechanics.

Generally speaking, wilderness content asks a hell of a lot more from non-PvP'ers than it does PvP'ers.

• Like 1

Y'know, it'd be cool if we could treat "I don't want to play this content because I don't find PvP fun" as a reasonable answer that had a response other than "NO SHUT UP GET IN THE WILDERNESS AND LET ME PK YOU". I mean... Are people allowed to not want to have to risk their gear and learn an entirely new metagame that they don't enjoy just so that they can keep doing something that they do like?But apparently Jagex is the one making the latter comment, so what do I know

It's not. It really should be togglable.

In all honesty though, blocking them is a pretty reasonable expectation. You don't have to do them but you lose a block space in order to do so. People who are willing to do them should have a benefit over someone who doesn't. Soul Reaper's system is a solid example that works well.

The benefits they gain are the unique drops. This isn't rewarding those that choose to do the task as much as it is penalizing those who don't.

• Like 2

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Mogres, killerwarrs, cave horrors, rum pumped crabs, night spiders, phoenix, warped terrorbird, tortoise and automatons are all unlocked via quests, and there is not a toggle for them.

• Like 1

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Mogres, killerwarrs, cave horrors, rum pumped crabs, night spiders, phoenix, warped terrorbird, tortoise and automatons are all unlocked via quests, and there is not a toggle for them.

Those are all relatively older tasks. Jagex is anything but consistent and when they come up with a new way they unfortunately tend to go "we'll do this from now on" instead of retroactively trying to fix the problems that are still there.

• Like 1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

You won't unlock automatons anyway w/o having access to the area.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.