Tip.It Times Presents: Different Strokes for Different Folks

Kiara_Kat

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I see this on the fourms a while back? Probably. Anyway, great work their Dragonfly, and congrats for writing the best Tip.it times in a long while.

yes but everyone said to put it in the tipit times so it was added that is why i was like -.- readding it for a second time but the first time it was.

=D> =D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: =D> =D> =D> :!:

StarViv.png

Great article, I agree all the way, it seems though, that when you try to act nice to someone and tell them that they have done something wrong, or strange in this case, then you yourself get flamed for trying to act big and tough or like a moderator. Jagex even sent out that message that suggested not to act that way because it will cause flaming and will lower your chace of becoming a moderator anyways. So what are we supposed to do, either say for example " wow that was total spam stop it you noob," or do nothing at all and let moderators do it all, because there seems to be quite a lot of posts that can go this way nowadays... :?

Byaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

newbankofrsyq0.gif

I was waiting for an article like this for quite a while.

Thank you for finally putting this tip.it, hopefully it will reduce the ammount of immature flamers...but im probably getting my hopes up too high..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Great article, I agree all the way, it seems though, that when you try to act nice to someone and tell them that they have done something wrong, or strange in this case, then you yourself get flamed for trying to act big and tough or like a moderator. Jagex even sent out that message that suggested not to act that way because it will cause flaming and will lower your chace of becoming a moderator anyways. So what are we supposed to do, either say for example " wow that was total spam stop it you noob," or do nothing at all and let moderators do it all, because there seems to be quite a lot of posts that can go this way nowadays... :?

Havent you ever heard of a medium? :|

Left: Stop it you nooob

Middle: Thats really not a good idea you know.

Right: I wouldnt do that if i were you! Reported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The author forgot about a kind of rs relationship when he mentioned the romantic ones. The players who try to have "romantic" relationships in rs, even though they have never met the person in real life and never will. That is pathetic and anoying, I'm especially anoyed by it when people ask me to be their "boyfirend". That's why most players respond negativeley to rs 'romances"

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

So what are we supposed to do, either say for example " wow that was total spam stop it you noob," or do nothing at all and let moderators do it all, because there seems to be quite a lot of posts that can go this way nowadays... :?

Havent you ever heard of a medium? :|

Left: Stop it you nooob

Middle: Thats really not a good idea you know.

Right: I wouldnt do that if i were you! Reported.

I'd have to agree there. In addition, I'm willing to bet excessive use of "n0000b!!!" isn't exactly helping anything. I mean seriously, people, it's not like beginning players can start out as a level 126 Player Mod that knows everything about the game, and magically alter their join date to be some point in 2002. Just chill out.

Anyways, I agree with the article, though I doubt a large enough portion of the RS community is going to read it for it to do any good. Oh well, one can still hope, right?

Borei.png

Borei.png

Borei.png

Great Article. It reminds me of the time someone reported me for offering to buy their obsidian maul for 70k....

He was trying to sell it for 200k, and he said that i had scammed him out of 130k. But he got it for free as a monster drop, so how could i scam him out of money that he didn't even have yet?

Read it again, you missed the secret message.

A really wonderful article. It's nice to see some good old-fashioned liberalism regarding Runescape, as any politics at all having to do with a virtual world is rare.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

Great article, and I agree with the relationships at the end. Some of my friends are obsessive over RS like I am, and we all compete to level up (I'm losing right now...) but we spend time together. Two of them are boys (I'm a girl) so a lot of people ask if we're bf/gf in the game. I always say "no," but people don't understand. :wall:

shadowedkittenbuddyrn0.png

Image by Drek and Buddies

It was an alright article, not the best though.

I agreed with most of the article, and I see good thought has been put into most of it.

Though Concerning DragnFly's thoughts on Relationships which he wrote in the article...

Whether you think itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s an good idea or an bad idea shouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t really matter, should it? Does it stop you from enjoying your own game in any way? I think not.

It matter's enough to me, for me to make this point about relationships. Relationships in game are just plain wrong. There's so many points I could give to show this but it's not worth the effort. For goodness sake, unless you know the person in rl who you have a online relationship with, who knows who that other person is controlling their character half way across the world.

And, no it doesn't stop me from enjoying and playing the game, (besides the countless lvl 3-10 female charaters coming up to me, and asking to be my bf) no it generally doesn't. But that doesn't stop it from being childish and immature, at the best of times.: roll: And it assuredly wont stop me from voicing my opinion on the matter. :wink:

But overall it was quite a good article.

A great peice of writing.

Interesting and points out major things.

I have personally been flamed may times cos I mercahnt - so I got bored of merchenting. Now I just play pc.

But that was interesting - even though long it was good.

Great work in my veiw =D>

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Wake me up in fally...

I like this article, especially the point on "fair" merchanting. This, I believe, totally goes against The Editor's "The Greed Factor" Tip.It Times (Mar 4, 2006), which claimed:

Buying low and selling high is the whole heart of merchanting, but these merchants feed off the desperate and inexperienced in order to make their profits, getting items for often as little as half what they are worth, and turning around to sell them for well over the standard prices.

These are two interesting :-k points of view, but I think DragnFly is correct, some people just sell lower and are happy with what they get.

tradesupport1qn6.gif

untitled6kv7.gif

I enjoyed the arcticle like most i agree that marketers without them there would be less bulk, same goes with macros in a way because the ess thing did mess up the economy think of what would happen without merchants lol.

Relationships i saw was ranted a few posts up i think they are good to a point but in a game where alot of players ages is around 10 - 12 and with soo many sexual preditors. Ppl got to be careful. But the internet is a new way to meet ppl and create relationships and you have to accept changes in the world with technology.

I do agree how lvl 3's that are girls just want items from you and are men that are very weird...

black_firexp.png

I guess a lot of players consider merchanting to be a source of ill-gotten gains, especially if they buy lower than is reasonable, taking advantage of players who don't know the value, or buying out store stock and selling higher.

The opposite side, is that if you do have an item to sell, you'd better find a price guide and do not rely on general store price check, as the player value of items which do not have a ready supply is normally considerably higher - unless you're happy to take any offer, for something you don't want to waste bank space on.

great read, but i wanna get some info out.

sorry if someone already mentioned this, but a good majority of the content of this article (about merchants, skillers, etc.) has already been covered by our friend Paw_Claw. sure hope he can get some credit for that.

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words.

wat is the "Sled" you mentiond in it?

Its an item you will acquire through the Troll Romance quest.

Did I see this on the fourms a while back? Probably. Anyway, great work their Dragonfly, and congrats for writing the best Tip.it times in a long while.

Yes, I posted it on the forums about 2 weeks ago. After the recommendations of other posters, I submitted it to the times.

nice article. especially about productiveness. but some people's fun is being productive on the game like i try to find training spots tat give maximum exp and such. But yea your article was good

Thats indeed true, and I fully embrace that. Infact, at the time of this post my skill total is 1656. While I do not always train as much as I used to, I have also put quite abit of training in over the last 5 years.

I like this article, especially the point on "fair" merchanting. This, I believe, totally goes against The Editor's "The Greed Factor" Tip.It Times (Mar 4, 2006), which claimed:

Buying low and selling high is the whole heart of merchanting, but these merchants feed off the desperate and inexperienced in order to make their profits, getting items for often as little as half what they are worth, and turning around to sell them for well over the standard prices.

These are two interesting :-k points of view, but I think DragnFly is correct, some people just sell lower and are happy with what they get.

I guess a lot of players consider merchanting to be a source of ill-gotten gains, especially if they buy lower than is reasonable, taking advantage of players who don't know the value, or buying out store stock and selling higher.

The opposite side, is that if you do have an item to sell, you'd better find a price guide and do not rely on general store price check, as the player value of items which do not have a ready supply is normally considerably higher - unless you're happy to take any offer, for something you don't want to waste bank space on.

As for the merchanting, I believe for the most part I summed up my thoughts on it in the article. You can merchant disposables and refinables, steady items such as weaponry and armors, and "rare" (no longer in production) items.

A example is I had merchanted rune essence, before the pure/regular essence divide, and when essence was still selling between 40-50gp each. I would typically buy it at 40-45 each, then once i had a large supply post it on the forum and sell them in bulk for 50gp each.

I made money off of it, and the purchasers got their supplies quickly and were able to waste less time in a bank and more time runecrafting. Both sides were mutually happy with the transactions. Infact, I think it was after about 5 days or so once I paid off the price I spent on my whip, meaning I essentually got a free whip.

The author forgot about a kind of rs relationship when he mentioned the romantic ones. The players who try to have "romantic" relationships in rs, even though they have never met the person in real life and never will. That is pathetic and anoying, I'm especially anoyed by it when people ask me to be their "boyfirend". That's why most players respond negativeley to rs 'romances"

I did not forget, they are friends in game whom either for role play purposes or actually developing feelings, end up getting together with another friend. Does not mean they have met, or necessary that they will meet offline, nor does it exclude against the possibility of meeting.

I do not see what is annoying about these people playing the way they wish to. Over the time I have played, some of the people I've knew through the game have been in relationships in runescape. I touched upon some of the reasons people in general do it in the article. Likewise, I read about many more on these forums, as well as the official ones.

Now people whom approach you, whom you have never met or barely even know wanting a relationship, which sounds like the type that you were referring to there, are a completely different matter. They, like people whom randomly approach you wanting to be your friend, are most likely out to use you. Thats completely different than the first types I was referring to though, and typically the type I advise ignoring.

If you happened to be around either set of forums in 2001, you are probably aware it was not all that uncommon to read about such things on them. I'm not saying that there was not any critics, of course there were critics then as there is now. However, it did seem more widely accepted. Infact, I often found it somewhat entertaining and amusing to read about whos in an relationship with who this week, who backstabbed their friend or lover, who was feuding with who for whatever reason, hearing about new bugs found was in the game, who helped out who, arguments, rumors, players placing "hits" on other players, controversial happenings, and other stories. It was like a non-stop Jerry Springer episode, RuneScape edition. :lol:

Relationships i saw was ranted a few posts up i think they are good to a point but in a game where alot of players ages is around 10 - 12 and with soo many sexual preditors. Ppl got to be careful. But the internet is a new way to meet ppl and create relationships and you have to accept changes in the world with technology.

There is an very valid concern. You really have to be careful. Parents should monitor their kids online, especially the younger ones as there really is no telling what can happen to them otherwise. Also, be sure to educate your kids about the dangers online, discussing it with them and showing them how to stay safe on the internet.

Now there is mixed feelings amongst people regarding online dating, not just in runescape but in general. Seeing as the internet is becoming more and more common in everyday life, its likely that online dating will become even more common. I see no reason, regardless of anyones personal thoughts on it, to grief other fully grown and consenting adults about their decisions.

I would only partially agree. I firmly believe in the area of merchanting that one should not attempt to get a yew seed for 10k despite the seller willing to sell it for that unless the seller is aware of the actual value and is still willing to sell for 10k. In other words, a persons ignorance is no excuse to rip them off. Such things are unethical, and in real life such things can also be potentially illegal. As far as selling for a bit more (or less) than normal accepted value is fine and is done on a regular basis in real life. (the difference between 10k and approx. 60k is a bit much and i would consider that a rip off, but then again i chased someone down to repay them the difference on an object i purchased unknowingly for well under value, so maybe its just me) so my opinion is this, it should be all players responsibility to help educate other players. (exception being when other players want you to take them to the gnome stronghold when you are in Varrock, thats just annoying)

~Greetings from across the River Styx~