Tip.It Times Presents: Different Strokes for Different Folks

Kiara_Kat

If you happened to be around either set of forums in 2001, you are probably aware it was not all that uncommon to read about such things on them. I'm not saying that there was not any critics, of course there were critics then as there is now. However, it did seem more widely accepted. Infact, I often found it somewhat entertaining and amusing to read about whos in an relationship with who this week, who backstabbed their friend or lover, who was feuding with who for whatever reason, hearing about new bugs found was in the game, who helped out who, arguments, rumors, players placing "hits" on other players, controversial happenings, and other stories. It was like a non-stop Jerry Springer episode, RuneScape edition. :lol:

Of course every single one of those things is now considered illegal on the Official Runescape Forums... :(

I get the feeling that by 2008 or so, the Runescape forums will have been entirely replaced by a giant "Censored" sign. :roll:

If you dont take steps to ensure that you're protected, you void all right to complain when stuff goes wrong.
Join the petition for a new bank page layout!

grammar2gr8dx.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pratty sure I read this last week in a self-made topic, lol. I remember stating that it was better than the Tip.It times that week. I suppose that is why it is in the times this week?

As I said before, better read than last week. :thumbsup:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

how original.........er, not!

sorry just didnt seem like a very good article to me didnt raise any interesting points or anything to me sorry.

by the way in wrighting this you are promoting the "do as you like" group of people who can also fit into a "generic mold"

Lol so what? He's not saying that people aren't allowed to follow certain paths or, "social norms", but rather, he believes in the fact that everyone should have rights without being insulted or abused. Think of it as promoting a way of gaming which isn't forced or one-sided :D

Dragn, good article, it's nice to have someone point these things out. =D>

Head Coach of the G!X Black Scrim Team 2007

---Wolfenstein Enemy Territory Internationals---

I agreed to most oarts except merchanting. He somewhat ignored the buyers aspect to it. In which making us pay more so that should have gone further in depth.

If only he would've posted something like...

As for the merchanting, I believe for the most part I summed up my thoughts on it in the article. You can merchant disposables and refinables, steady items such as weaponry and armors, and "rare" (no longer in production) items.

A example is I had merchanted rune essence, before the pure/regular essence divide, and when essence was still selling between 40-50gp each. I would typically buy it at 40-45 each, then once i had a large supply post it on the forum and sell them in bulk for 50gp each.

I made money off of it, and the purchasers got their supplies quickly and were able to waste less time in a bank and more time runecrafting. Both sides were mutually happy with the transactions. Infact, I think it was after about 5 days or so once I paid off the price I spent on my whip, meaning I essentually got a free whip.

Oh wait, he did.

Borei.png

Borei.png

Borei.png

I completely agree

Merchanting isn't scamming in my opinion.

And people who use the friends list as a way to receive personal gain

isn't worth the time.

Good article :mrgreen:

-Forgotten Faces!

The artical was ok, still ain't down with the merchers tho :P Most of the people you buy supplies\items from are merching, and making you pay more then you have to. Trying to get anything for a resonable price in world is is nearly impossible.

Itsme7.gif

"IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m reminded of something many of us heard growing upÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæand thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". "

I totally agree with the article but...

Well I'm afraid that, if Runescape was to follow this rule... then Jagex might aswell just disable chat permantely!

But a very good article nonetheless!

:D

I wish it could be this easy for people to have fun i this game instead of insulting others!

Oh well...

sick_sk8er_1.png

99 Slayer, I don't have it yet. But it'll come.

You wouldn't believe how much I agree with every word of it :P

Its too bad runescape isnt as nice now as it once was :cry:

First D-Drop on 7/2/07! (skirt)

Trading herb seeds for herbs with INSANELY GREAT ratios to earn you millions!

One of the few players of Runescape who knows PHP, Java, Javascript, HTML, and Advanced Image Editing while being under 18! \:D/

well...its an ok article ill giv u that but i dont think it has any real point in it. Anyway...thats the only criticism i got for this one...otherwise its good.

Lol the ppl after ur money and stuff or kinda funny when u talk to them and wats their time while u nicely fletch in the bank then neva give em any stuff. summit to do while fletching rofl.. :twisted:

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

I Strongly Back You In This My Friend. Over The Period Of Time From The Start Of The Adventerous Game To The Present Date Things Has Changed Alot. We Have Had To Grow Into The Game And Some Have Grown Into A Fix That The Game Is Not For Fun. Games Are For Fun And If You Can't See That Then I Beleive You Need To Ask The Question "What Is The Point?". From The Change From Rsc To Rsb People Have Gone From Fun To Takeing It To Serious.

//-+//Star Wrong\\+-\\

Star+Wrong.png

couple of things, I still don't think saying "its only 10k" is scamming, as its all a matter of opinion.

I have had lower levels and even higher levels try to say "Lol kurt your phat is only 155m", not in an attempt to try to get it cheaper, but most just dont know the price.

The market value is whatever the players make it, so really that is not scamming.

runescapesig7gw.png

Current Goal: Fire Cape, 0-6 at the caves 0-3 agianst the Jad, Lag done me in.

disagree 100%

I dont have time to type out a full response, so i'll say this.

Merchanting is lame. It doesn't take much skill to buy small amounts cheap and sell for more. My 8 year old cousin even knows that if you buy lemonade mix, and sell the cups for 50 cents each, you'll make a profit.

What's the point of standing around all day buying and selling? You dont train any skills, you dont do anything. A lvl 3 can do it. What's the point of playing runescape if you dont ACTUALLY play it?

If you want to merchant, invest in the stockmarket. There's no rare items there.

I'd have to say, I agree 101%. No doubt about it.

I love the line, "The point of a game is, in my opinion, to enjoy yourself and relax while having fun, so long as it does not disrupt the fun and enjoyment of others who are playing."

Yes, that is definately the best part of the article. Great article over all.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

lol. I love how you incorporated the Golden Rule. I very much agree with this thread, but I must admit, getting married in-game is kind of, er..., strange. I think that people should get in relationships with people that they actually know. I'm sorry, that's just my view.

EDIT: Actually, I'm glad you protect the merchanters. I'm a Master White Knight and I merchant White Armor and weapons. What I hate, thought, is that people will say to me, "You can buy it for xx coins from Sir Vyvin! Stop ripping people off when they can go buy from him for way less!" I hate having to explain to people that most people would rather not kill 1,600 black knights. :roll:

apexwind.png

I think the main point of the article is saying that anything, aside from scamming, should be an acceptable way to play the game. Whether people agree that you're playing the game or not (merchanting or just messing around for instance) is irrelevant as it's what that person enjoys doing.

I have to disagree with this though: "Do unto others as you would have them do to you". I much prefer: "Do unto others as they have done to you". Only because the first line implies you should be nice to everyone whereas my revised line means that people get treated as they deserve to be treated.

"Act like a n00b and you shall be treated like a n00b"

Your "revised line" also promotes a potentially endless cycle of generally abusive attitudes/behavior. That's the kind of thing we're trying to get away from, remember?

Borei.png

Borei.png

Borei.png

I'm sorry, I disagree with you there, velox.

"Do unto others as you would have them do to you" means if you want to be treated fairly and nicely, then treat others fairly and nicely.

"Do unto others as they have done to you" means, in one word, revenge. Someone gets you, you get them back.

Not quite what the author had in mind, is it?

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

I totally have been thinking the same thing since I started playing. The generic mould thing is so true. A lot of my friends focus on getting strong and trying to do stuff before me. And you know what, thats fine. I would rather enjoy the game.

A game should be like a chocolate bar. You want to savor it. Not finish it as fast as you can as if you were being forced to eat crap. :-k

Well thats wasnt the best way of putting it, but it gets the point across. People try fitting every1 into a certain type of player. Basically, you are a single type of player. Well, I say forget them. I do whatever I freakin' please people! You want me to be a certain type of person I am not? =; Dont go any further and leave. I don't want to be moulded or judged by the players for what I do in a game. I'd rather just have a "world existance" toggle and turn it off. Leave me alone if what you have to say is completely unrelated to what I'm doing, and it will all be fine.

disagree 100%

I dont have time to type out a full response, so i'll say this.

Merchanting is lame. It doesn't take much skill to buy small amounts cheap and sell for more. My 8 year old cousin even knows that if you buy lemonade mix, and sell the cups for 50 cents each, you'll make a profit.

What's the point of standing around all day buying and selling? You dont train any skills, you dont do anything. A lvl 3 can do it. What's the point of playing runescape if you dont ACTUALLY play it?

If you want to merchant, invest in the stockmarket. There's no rare items there.

Read the article. Runescape is a game, and a game is what YOU want it to be. What "playing Runescape" is to you may be a completely different thing for another person.

jzk1lx2dy.gif

Did I see this on the fourms a while back? Probably. Anyway, great work their Dragonfly, and congrats for writing the best Tip.it times in a long while.

yes but everyone said to put it in the tipit times so it was added that is why i was like -.- readding it for a second time but the first time it was.

=D> =D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: =D> =D> =D> :!:

Yeah, I thought I did. Still a great read the second time :).

th_borningfourmsig-1.png

Currently going for 76 fishing

Excellent article, I wholeheartedly agree with the merchant stereotypical views seeing as I used to have that view myself ::' . But I try not to place such stereotypical thoughts with any class of players now just to be fair. I enjoyed the article, and I hope to see more.

Good work Dragonfly! :thumbsup: =D>

Domovoi123-Level 80 f2p

Noxious 0ne-Level 46 f2p