Why do kebabs look so weird in RuneScape?

dudeguy409

Over four full years of playing RuneScape, I have seen and eaten many pixelated kebabs. It wasn't till random events were released in Runescape 2 that kebabs got their infamous reputation. But one thing always bugged me. Why do the kebabs look so weird? Kebabs are meat and vegetables placed on skewers, then marinated and grilled to perfection! Why then, do they look like tacos or hamburgers? Well this question finally bugged me so much I decided to consult WikiPedia!

This same question has probably been pondered by many of the American RuneScape players, But not so much by the European players. The reason for this is that two different types of kebabs have become popular in different regions of the globe!

~~~ Shish Kebabs ~~~

shishkebab2el2.jpgshishkebab1dp7.jpg

The kebabs Americans like me have come to know and love are called 'Shish Kebabs' or 'Shish Kabobs". They have taken a place in American culture with the use of the phrase "Holy Shish Kebabs!" as a replacement for more boring/cliche phrases like " Holy Cow!" or "Gee Wizz!", so many Americans have come to associate kebabs and shish kebabs as being the same thing. However, this is not the case! There are dozens of different styles of kebabs that have roots in Persia, Northern Iran, Turkey, India, and Pakistan!

~~~ D̮̦̉̉ner kebabs ~~~

donerkebabcp6.pngdonerkebab2vi0.jpg

The other style of kebab that has hit mainstream commercial success is the D̮̦̉̉ner kebab. These are a rare sight in America, but they have become quite popular in Europe. The difference between the two is that D̮̦̉̉ner kebabs are taken a step further. Whereas shish kebabs are served on the skewers they were grilled on, D̮̦̉̉ner kebabs are made by removing the grilled meat from the skewers and placing it in a thin arabian sandwhich bread called pita. This also allows for things to be stuffed into the kebab sandwhich that normally could not be added to a shish kebab. This includes herbs, rice, salads, and sauces. In Germany, D̮̦̉̉ner kebabs became popular after World War 2. Since the Germans had a shortage of manpower and needed help in the reconstruction process after the war, they invited turks to migrate to Germany as guest workers. They brought along with them their culture. Kebabs became a hit, and spread like wildfire across Europe. Kebabs have since become a poluar fast food, as they are a very portable food. In addition, they have become popular not only for their taste, but as a healthier alternative fast foods like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, and KFC. D̮̦̉̉ner kebabs have hit it big in Australia as well, but still remain a rare sight in America.

As someone who has lived in the middle east(Dubai) his entire life i can easily say that there is a MASSIVE amount of kebab/bob to be found,the most common(the shawarma) is,oddly enough,not mentioned in this thread.

~~~ shawarma kebabs ~~~

The shawarma is basically meat and vegetables wrapped around in bread,often served with tahini,the shawara is quite similar to the doner kebab except that it most doners ive seen use pitta bread while the shawarmas use laffa bread.Theres also falafels(which are awesome,chances are that you live in the u.s/u.k and therefore have had crappy ones)but those are a completely different post.Anyways ive been to the U.S/U.K and i can honestly say that most of the kebabs there are bland and have very little flavour compared to the ones found in the middle east.

I don't know about you, but after hearing about these 'D̮̦̉̉ner kebabs', I really want to try one of them! Perhaps the next time I eat out at a Persian restaurant, I will be able to find one!

feel free to add comments and correct me if any of my information was wrong. tidbits of information were obtained from wikipedia.com. Pictures were obtained from:

pic 1: http://www.bbqs.com/uploads/78/50704.jpg

pic 2: http://www.worth1000.com/entries/232000 ... CiKH_w.jpg

pic 3: http://www.eidolons.net/wp-content/_200 ... _kebab.jpg

pic 4: http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,1985737_4,00.jpg

Aww, I always used to buy one weekly near my old school. There's also the kind where the filling is wrapped in a wider, thinner and softer pita called kebab rolls:

kebab_roll.jpg

=P~

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Aww, I always used to buy one weekly near my old school. There's also the kind where the filling is wrapped in a wider, thinner and softer pita called kebab rolls:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~kanimiso/singapore/other/kebab_roll.jpg

=P~

Thats the kebab I know and love. I dunno about Americans but here in Australia you barbecue shish kebabs at home (don't buy them) and you buy kebabs rolled in the longer and thinner bread described above. The latter are very popular and there are kebab shops around that sell just them and are quite popular.

RS kebabs look like neither :lol:.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

The kebab is RS is Andrew's personal, homemade Kebab :)

ofcourse they are :D

Runescape Kebabs look fine to me, though, I don't really eat kebab very often :P

296kver.png

Credits to Skully Sc for the signature.24picns.png

well it makes sense that they look like they do, because the D̮̦̉̉ner kebabs style is majorly popular over here in the UK. its one of the main food items purchased after a heavy night drinking.

IRC.RSCRIPT.ORG #STATS

join us. we dont bite too hard.

Shish kebabs seem massively impractical to me. Of course, i've had them on a BBQ at home but i can't imagine them ever been sold at a fast food place - too many people whould put their eye out after a night on the tiles.

As people above have said, the Donner Kebab is probably the #2 food to buy at the end of a night out, after a box of chips. It's a lot more fun to eat than a burger.

Btw, you missed off one vital part in your explanation of donner kebabs. Given that so many are sold, it'd be impractical to make shish kebabs every time and stick them in the bread, so large scewers of meat rotate constantly in the kitchen, the meat being shaved off when required. This is part of the strange appeal, as the meat invariably looks a bit dodgy and i for one would never get a kebab with less than 5 pints in me. It's an adventure ;)

kebabs1b.jpg

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

=P~

Thats the kebab I know and love. I dunno about Americans but here in Australia you barbecue shish kebabs at home (don't buy them) and you buy kebabs rolled in the longer and thinner bread described above. The latter are very popular and there are kebab shops around that sell just them and are quite popular.

RS kebabs look like neither :lol:.

In england with barbeque shish kebabs too! I love them. One of my favourite barbeque food.

Runescape's kebab looks pretty accurate to me.

sig5235ro7.jpg

Shish kebabs seem massively impractical to me. Of course, i've had them on a BBQ at home but i can't imagine them ever been sold at a fast food place - too many people whould put their eye out after a night on the tiles.

As people above have said, the Donner Kebab is probably the #2 food to buy at the end of a night out, after a box of chips. It's a lot more fun to eat than a burger.

Btw, you missed off one vital part in your explanation of donner kebabs. Given that so many are sold, it'd be impractical to make shish kebabs every time and stick them in the bread, so large scewers of meat rotate constantly in the kitchen, the meat being shaved off when required. This is part of the strange appeal, as the meat invariably looks a bit dodgy and i for one would never get a kebab with less than 5 pints in me. It's an adventure ;)

http://www.mhannah50.freeserve.co.uk/pics/kebabs1b.jpg

United, the picture you posted is of chicken and meat shawarmas. Trust me, I live in Kuwait :) I eat kebab every other week.

waeldwade4jph.jpg

Runescape Status = RETIRED AS OF 15/08/2006

Combat 105, 1488 Total (I Beat the addiction :D)

Yea but what do i have to show for my time? Nothing but pixels
This is why Runescape is a WASTE OF TIME - smart man

Triq, sorry to say this, but don't post crap like that. :wink:

Those Kebabs look good, but coming from America, I guess I won't be eating every many soon. Guess i'll just have to stick to hamburgers, lol. :XD:

IrreIephant.png

|Msg me me in-game | IrreIephant|

^ capital i

IMO every British male drinks a lot of alchohol, on there way back from the pubs/clubs they go into a fish and chip shop, and buy a kebab, just like the kebabs that the drunken dwarf gives, he's quite obviously a british person wandering the streets with a pint of beer and a kebab and because he's drunk he's give's them out quite willingly...

maxsig28nv.gif

=P~

thats a falafel or something :P

in belgium kebabs or PITTA are kinda famous :D

Necrossigv3.jpg

As someone who has lived in the middle east(Dubai) his entire life i can easily say that there is a MASSIVE amount of kebab/bob to be found,the most common(the shawarma) is,oddly enough,not mentioned in this thread.

The shawarma is basically meat and vegetables wrapped around in bread,often served with tahini,the shawara is quite similar to the doner kebab except that it most doners ive seen use pitta bread while the shawarmas use laffa bread.Theres also falafels(which are awesome,chances are that you live in the u.s/u.k and therefore have had crappy ones)but those are a completely different post.Anyways ive been to the U.S/U.K and i can honestly say that most of the kebabs there are bland and have very little flavour compared to the ones found in the middle east.

rssig4copy.gif