Oreo9870's Statement on Skills

oreocookie987

I would like to begin by saying that the idea to write this was inspired by Dork Vader 0's post on my Skilling Blog. He gave me the idea to write this thread presenting my thoughts on the skills we choose to work on, and I want to thank him. If you read all of this, please leave a post telling me what you think.

There are 22 Skills in Runescape, soon to be 23 with the release of Hunting. An F2P player can currently gain a maximum Total Lvl of 1485, and a P2P player can currently gain a maximum Total Lvl of 2178. The P2P Total Lvl Maximum will soon be 2277 however, with the release of Hunting. With so many skills, its hard to decide what you want to train. I am aiming this thread to discuss the skills that many players believe must be high levels.

In my three months as a member, I begun to notice how important a basis many members place on Fletching. I could not walk into a bank without seeing a person going at it with a log and a knife. Other skills I have noticed that many people expect to be high are Fishing and Cooking. I do not think that the purpose of Runescape is to raise certain skills that have been deemed important by the mass majority of players. I do understand that these are an easy source of Total levels, but this brings me to my next point.

It is my personal belief that we should raise skills we enjoy to work on. I will use myself as an example. I am Combat lvl 90, with a Mining lvl of 80. Many people I see on these forums and in-game will rarely have a Mining level above 65. Do you want to know why? I enjoy Mining, I always have. Ever since my first days of playing, it has been my favorite skill, and appropriately, it passes all my other skills by at least 6 levels. This is how I can will myself to spend 250+ hours mining Coal out of the Mining Guild while my brother trains and puts 10 combat levels between himself and me. This brings me to the opposite of loving a skill, hating a skill. I mean no offence to those of you who enjoy the following two skills, but I absolutely hate Herblore and Fletching with a burning passion. I have never made a single potion or a single arrow shaft in my near 2 year Runescape experience. My Herblore is 15 and my Fletching is 17 purely from quest rewards.

I feel as if though I am beginning to rant, so I'll return to the topic. If you have low Fishing, theres nothing wrong with that. Personally, my Fishing lvl was actually at 1 until I had been playing for about 4 months. If it is low, it is most likely because you do not enjoy the skill, and you are under no obligation to raise it. Work on skills that you like to work on, and play for the sake of playing. I am lvl 90 with a Total lvl of 1194, while there are lvl 80's out there with Total lvls of 1400 or 1500+. Perhaps these people enjoy skilling much more than I do. Whatever it may be, I at least hope they like what they are doing.

I will conclude by leaving you with this message. Dork Vader 0 used a term in his post, the "Common 'Scaper". I believe that he is referring to the players who work to raise every stat, just so that they can't be called a noob. Do not be the Common 'Scaper. Play this game because you enjoy playing it, not because you need to make yourself look good to others. Don't be like "My Fishing is so low, I should raise it or else I'll look like a noob!". So wether you're like Jesselitton staying in the Rogues Den to get 99 Cooking, or like Mr S Scope alching his way to 99 Magic, or like Tripsis doing Runecrafting to get money for 99 Construction, or even Dork Punker and his goal of 99 Slayer, be who you want to be, work on what you want to work on, and play how you want to play (as long as you follow the rules). Nobody can criticize you for doing that. Now discuss.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

~Henry David Thoreau

This means that every person should go as they want, and follow what they think they want to do instead of doing as the mass majority says must be done. Remember, play for the experience of this game, not to glorify yourself to others.

~Oreo9870, Runescape's Favorite Cookie

Expecting a good life because you're a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge because you're a vegetarian.

Well written.

As a f2p, i don't have many skills to train, but i strive for a higher total level.

I really love Runecrafting and I'm working on that.

And for the record, I hate training prayer

Should I say first post?

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Personally, I dont see anyones skills as being low for 'their' level. The problem that I find with this community (and the game for that matter) is that it is mainly based on being the richest, or having high levels, or killing other players. If they find this fun, then by all means I won't stop you. But when it turns into ranting and flaming towards a player because they have a low strenght level for their 'combat' level, then it gets out of hand.

Personally, I dont think many people would be playing if their was such thing as the 'hiscores', the only people that would play would be the ones that enjoy playing the game for what its worth, not trying to show off and be better then the other players.

I do actually hate herblore, but when money and herbs come into my bank, im more then happy to get some experience.

In my eyes.. friends + communites + experience = fun.

A beautiful formulae in my eyes :)

Jaskkes.png

Woot!! Nice peice. I agree, most people should turn away from being a "common scaper". I love most or all skills, and yes, i was a common scaper and my skills were very low at the time, so i thought "well, i dont wanna be called or look like a newb". I got my stats up and in the long run it did turn out to be okay. I feel that this common scaper thing is like, a victim of bullying: don't meet the stantards? Well, i guess we'll just have to call you names and take your stuff from you.

Peers check your stats just to see, "Ooh a lvl 3 woodcutter you're such a noob stop playing rs, your a disgrace". All about the e-bullys -.-

icedearth06.png

More Tip.it Friends Needed! Feel Free To Add Me\m/ Tip.it's Biggest Metalhead.

In my eyes.. friends + communites + experience = fun.

A beautiful formulae in my eyes :)

My entire statement summed up in 2 lines. This could have saved me 20 minutes of my time. Thanks for the nice replies so far \'

Expecting a good life because you're a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge because you're a vegetarian.

Very nicely written. Good Work.

First of all its upto the players what they want to do with their skills. Some would like to train some of their skills, some would like to train all of them.

Also, if I don't like a skill, i won't train it. And nobody can force me to do it. Its as simple as that.

I agree, most people should turn away from being a "common scaper".

I totally disagree with you, If you people call a person who trains all his skills a Common Scaper then the people in the top hundred or thousands for that matter would be deemed in that category. These guys should be applauded for their effort and loyalty towards the game. But people go around calling them names. Thats plain stupid.

You talk about standards, its the people who set them and its upto the people to follow them.

Thats it i guess.

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

I completely agree with you here. I hate fletching as well, although I prefer to get up my fishing than waste a fortune on food (stupid dragons <.<). To discuss something you didn't mention, I'm often laughed at for having a low strength level. So what? I prefer hitting more often than hitting more powerfully. I think we should be free to do what we like. After all, why else do we play RuneScape if not to have fun?

P.S. I still love your costume :3>

I totally disagree with you, If you people call a person who trains all his skills a Common Scaper then the people in the top hundred or thousands for that matter would be deemed in that category. These guys should be applauded for their effort and loyalty towards the game. But people go around calling them names. Thats plain stupid.

I don't think this thread is saying that people shouldn't train all their skills high, but should only do so if that's what they enjoy doing. I have noticed it myself, especially on the release of new skills, I see way too many people saying, "oh great, another new skill that I have to train". But they don't have to train it, they don't have to do anything, it's a game. If someone'se training a skill because they feel they're forced too, for whatever reason, they should reconsider why they play this game. A game shouldn't be work, it should be fun, I think too many people are forgetting that. :?

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

I kind of agree with you. You do not have to raise those skills because they are low. But seeing a level 87 in blue d hide was just truly embarrising to me. :oops: So I went and got 60. The reason you hate those skills is becuase you have never tried to hard on them. Fletching gets really fun after 70, and herblore gets interesting when you can start making some cool potions. I hate quests, yet i have not even tried most of them, I just assume most will be boring, but I'm sure im quite wrong.

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

I don't think this thread is saying that people shouldn't train all their skills high, but should only do so if that's what they enjoy doing. I have noticed it myself, especially on the release of new skills, I see way too many people saying, "oh great, another new skill that I have to train". But they don't have to train it, they don't have to do anything, it's a game. If someone'se training a skill because they feel they're forced too, for whatever reason, they should reconsider why they play this game. A game shouldn't be work, it should be fun, I think too many people are forgetting that. :?

That's exactly what i meant to say.

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

Everyone's gonna love or hate certain skills. If everyone trained the same skill, it'd be dull, noone would get anywhere in the high scores and there'd be no variety. I, like you, hate herblore. I really don't like it, yet its level 22. My lowest. Why? Because I didn't want it to embarass my other skills. Does that make me a 'Common Scaper'? We're sometimes judged too much on levels. I admire people with low combat and high skills. From first glance, you can only judge someone by their combat level. Maybe it should be their overall?

017mistymaple0112textis2.png

Thanks Choas for the Avatar and Petry for the sig (You know who you are) :)

Optimistic Elder in Runescape's only cult, The Order of Cabbage.

i m looking at my skills atm

and i dont see any skill i hate...

i want a high total so i train al my skills high

when i get bored in training i go pking...

when u play a very long time u wont hate a skill u just say "its harder to train"

im f2p and i know prayer and smithing are hard to train, that is why they are still so low.

But i do know i want al my lvls above 70. So soon i will train those 2 skills to.

It s just an achievemt i really want to get.

And getting achievements makes me happy.

rsname: lord rex.
december 2011: ranked 107th best f2p player
march 2012 became member.

Lord_Rex.png

Yes, very right... Yet some people also decide to raise their skills, as a goal, no? I don't know if you mentioned it, I read a bit too quickly :oops:

This topic slightly reminds me of the OoC, we pick cabbage like mindless drones because its fun, the friends, the activities, afterall, enjoyment is the essence of Runescape, is it not?

Live, love, eat!

Very nicely written oreo :)

For me, the skills I most like raising, I would say, is crafting, magic, and more recently, range. Although my crafting isn't as high as the other two mentioned here, it's only because a shortage of gee pee.

I hate agility, herblore, and farming, hence the highest out of those skills is agility at 40.

I would much rather play this game to have fun and enjoy what im doing then labour away at a skill so that my total level doesn't look so "nooby".

:3>

I think you're absolutly right! All people should do what they think is fun on RS, and don't train just to not be a noob. All people don't need to have super high combat level, or mining!

Myself, my favourite skill is actually RuneCrafting. That's pretty strange and unnormal, I know. But I enjoy it, so let me enjoy it.

So keep on training or doing whatever you think is fun in RS!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I completely agree. I've never touched the skills which i dun like, say woodcutting and firemaking, which are lvl 26 and lvl 29 respectively. it just irks me how some people would invest time in their those skills when all their intention is just to raise their total lvls so that they would have a good rank. They raise it even though they dun like the skill. I mean what do they play Runescape for? Runescape will eventually die down(inevitably) and when they think back about their time spent playing runescape, it will be "Man, it was so frustrating wasting my time raising those skills, was i actually enjoying my game i spent so much time in?".

I would rather myself say in a few years "During those years, it was so memorable playing runescape, not a single time do i regret playing it and it's so relaxing and enjoyable." Afterall, the present is transcient, enjoy life while we can, and dun let the views of others decide how we enjoy life.

I aspire to remain in the top 20 among those in my total skill lvl, though it's only a modest 936 considering i played for 4 yrs 3 months. My fav skills are Mining(80) and combat.

My rs is hilterchan.

------------------------------------------

Ima a chinese conspiracy theorist.

People are always shocked at my total compared to my combat level, but I always tell everyone the same thing. I train what I enjoy, and that happens to be quite a few non-combat skills. I used to train combat as when I started I felt inadequate to all these players I perceived to be better than myself. I never enjoyed training but felt obliged to. That soon changed and as I began to work up skills I truly enjoyed, my combat has remained at the same level for almost 2 years.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

Although i do not follow the teachings of Confucius, i enjoy his sayings. Some that apply to this would be:

"Life is really simple, but men insist on making it complicated."

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."

When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves.

The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions

What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others

Just a few words about respect, modesty, and simplicity

If at first you dont suceed, then you fail.

Very well written, the discussion is getting somewhat philosophical, but anyway. I raise my mining the most, because it allows me to do something mindless and is relaxing. I will raise my other skills when i get bored to achieve a personal goal, but I have never had reason to raise them because people say i should raise them, a fair number of my skills are 10-15 levels behind my top ones just because they don't interest me

picture.php?albumid=328&pictureid=1551

I have been made fun of by countless people for having 33 smithing, but i don't care, because when i ask them their mining level, it rarely is ever over 20! (almost 71 mining here) And oreo, dont feel bad about your brother being 10 combat levels beter then you, because my bro is a p mod and is friends with some well known tip.iters. 33 smithing ftw!

gesmf9.jpg

Te be honest, I have to disagree with you. You say I should train the skills I like to train. Then I shouldn't train any skill at all, cuz they all become boring. Ok for some I have more patient then other, but still every time I complete a goal, I feel like I did something very boring.

And here is the point why I'm playing rs now for almost 2 years: It's the feeling accomplishing something and I feel satesfied having a good total lvl and training all skills. Yep, I train the skills I think are boring too. Maybe way less. But still, I only have 2 skills under 50; 1 construction (starting now) and 38 herb and I think of doing that soon too, just cuz I don't even know if it's boring or not, I've never really tried it :oops: .

What if I only did what I enjoy, hmm what would I do then?? Probably some melee slayer and mini games. But those get boring too after a week, so I need something else. Something I really enjoy. That would definitly be something else then rs. But I like this game very much. So can you please tell me what I have to do then??

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif