Question: Least-Admirable Skill Cape

Lunar_Drifter

Imo, these are the top 5 most respected capes:

1) Runecrafting... You get piss poor experience even at high levels. What is funny is that anybody who gets 99 runecrafting can buy a party hat if they saved all the money from selling the natures they crafted.

2) Slayer... You get 1 experience per HP that each monster has. In essence, you need to deal over 13,032 damage.. At its best, you can get 50k experience per hour.

3) Agility... It's mind numbingly boring to repeatedly cycle through obstacle courses.

4) Farming... It takes forever to wait for your crops to grow to cycle them.

5) Construction... It is extremely expensive.

I think Herblore is more respected than Construction. Construction, to me, is just a skill you buy, and to be honest I dont have much respect for merchanters. So I dont really see why someone deserves respect for having a high construction level unless they raised the money from one of skill listed 1-4 above.

I think (and also believe) the skill capes that are least respected are Cooking and Fletching. They dont require much skill (i.e Slayer) or patience (Farming, Runecrafting). All they require you to do is bank and click 4-5 times per inventory to gain experience. The Cook/Fletch X options are very easy ways to level and hence why I believe they deserve the least respect.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cooking, firemaking, and fletching are too common, but technically constructiona dn herblore are both buyable but respected

fletching you gain money, cooking cost a couple mil loss, firemaking from level 81 to 99 is 12mil not that much really

i would really like to see you buy herblore and cons

cons easily breaks 50m

and herblore is very diffcult to get the herbs and selling them

*Cough* ~120m *cough* :lol:

Hehehe. Don't you have herby as well, Tripsis? And wasn't herby 100m? Seems kinda like a buyable skill to me..... (I've read your blog. :D )

I calculated (and this was all in my head) that Construction would cost somewhere around 90m. That includes payments for the butler, but not money spent on making your house nice. It is technically possible to have 99 construction with only 2 rooms (garden and kitchen), and it'd be just as fast to get, with Oak Larders. However, if you want to make your house nice, it seems to me it would cost 20m+. So overall, that equals ~110m.

I think Herblore is more respected than Construction. Construction, to me, is just a skill you buy, and to be honest I dont have much respect for merchanters. So I dont really see why someone deserves respect for having a high construction level unless they raised the money from one of skill listed 1-4 above.

I think (and also believe) the skill capes that are least respected are Cooking and Fletching. They dont require much skill (i.e Slayer) or patience (Farming, Runecrafting). All they require you to do is bank and click 4-5 times per inventory to gain experience. The Cook/Fletch X options are very easy ways to level and hence why I believe they deserve the least respect.

Then, in my mind, constructers would be some of the most respected, because all of them have to have made the money that they bought the skill with in some way, and most of them do it through runecrafting (which is, IMO, the fastest moneymaker in RS.... But that's a different topic.) Anyone who can make the ~110m required to get 99 construction, and also has the patience to get the 13m experience (which admittedly is easily as fast as any, with a max exp rate [quoting Tripsis again] of 100k per hour., definitely deserves the respect of having one of the most respectable skillcapes. Herblore can be very fast, and while it does rival construction, I believe that construction is more deserving of the title than herblore.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

Obviously you can't really get all the resources you need for a 99 yourself... Fishing all the sharks you need for 99 cooking would drive men to tears, and cutting every log to get 99 fletching (54k magic longs away from 85 fletching) is practically out of the question, so I have no problem at all with a player buying a 99 or two (like crafting!), however, when they have SOLELY bought-99's, I begin to lose respect for them.

For example, I was in the rogues den, and there was a player there showing off his fletching cape and cooking cape. I asked what their woodcutting and fishing levels were, and they were very low (lower than 70 for both of them), I pmed my friend who was there with me and said "I bet he has a fm cape too... =\" (not the kind of thing you wanna say out loud! :-w ). She asked him if he had a firemaking cape as well, and he put it on to show her. Clearly this guy is the gestalt 99-buyer this thread is all about!

Obviously you can't really get all the resources you need for a 99 yourself... Fishing all the sharks you need for 99 cooking would drive men to tears, and cutting every log to get 99 fletching (54k magic longs away from 85 fletching) is practically out of the question, so I have no problem at all with a player buying a 99 or two (like crafting!), however, when they have SOLELY bought-99's, I begin to lose respect for them.

For example, I was in the rogues den, and there was a player there showing off his fletching cape and cooking cape. I asked what their woodcutting and fishing levels were, and they were very low (lower than 70 for both of them), I pmed my friend who was there with me and said "I bet he has a fm cape too... =" (not the kind of thing you wanna say out loud! :-w ). She asked him if he had a firemaking cape as well, and he put it on to show her. Clearly this guy is the gestalt 99-buyer this thread is all about!

Well, you're absolutely right. Fletching and cooking, however - does anyone really respect these? And firemaking, while harder is not so hard as some. However, one does need to consider the fact that buyable skills do still take work. Cooking and fletching, admittedly, are the most prominent buyable skills, but they are also among the fastest EXP per hour in the game. Construction, while buyable, doesn't train as fast, and though herblore is considered to be a buyable skill, it still takes many loooong hours of repetitive clicking of vials, herbs and seconds. Buyable 99's are as respectable as others, because they are simply skills that take money to get, not ones where you buy extremely fast EXP (with the exceptions of fletching and cooking). Herblore does still take work, and while not much can compare to the long hours of work required in, say, mining or fishing, herblore or construction can easily be equated to something like thieving or firemaking (which, IMO, can't be considered a buyable skill, as it only really requires ~3m to buy, and takes many hours of grueling clicking [however, the cape looks awesome :) ]). So, buyable skills should not be considered to be 'less' than non-buyable skills - they should be considered only in terms of the time taken to get them, and the sheer amount of effort the player puts forth in attaining the cape.

lSEHB.gif

I have been playing for 2 months and am yet to see a herblore. farming, prayer or slayer. The two capes i would respect most would have to be prayer(if done the hard way instead of buying it) and herblore. I also think woodcutting is quite admirable if it is done legit with no autos. im going for woodcutting 99 and i will be proud when i get it knowing i got it legit

The two capes i would respect most would have to be prayer(if done the hard way instead of buying it) and herblore.

How do you not buy prayer? You have to buy the bones, and there is no easy way of doing prayer. The only thing you could possibly buy would be the construction level for a gilded altar, and the dragon bones (as compared to buying big bones or killing for bones). Herblore, however, is very respectable.

lSEHB.gif

to get prayer the hard way you work your [wagon] off killing animals who drop high xp bones and then you should get the construction lvl needed for guilded altar. Then using the bones you got by killing animals you use them at the guilded altar and thats the hard way of getting lvl 99 in prayer

to get prayer the hard way you work your [wagon] off killing animals who drop high xp bones and then you should get the construction lvl needed for guilded altar. Then using the bones you got by killing animals you use them at the guilded altar and thats the hard way of getting lvl 99 in prayer

Nobody in their right minds would take the time to kill all the monsters (dragons/giants) and bank every bone for 99 prayer. If someone would tell me how many dragon bones you need for 99 prayer (I'm sure it's some inordinately huge number, into the hundreds of thousands), I can calculate how long that would probably take (most likely some thousands of hours) and then tell you how long it would take to get that money through runecrafting (or various other methods, as your preference runs). The second number will be the smaller, most likely somewhere around 2% of the other. I can see, however, getting the construction level for a gilded altar. That, though, doesn't necessarily constitute "hard", as 75 construction is not an amazingly tough level to get. If you can find me one person who has gained 99 prayer "the hard way", as you call it, I will be amazingly impressed.

lSEHB.gif

^

i did that to my current level, it's a lot easier. no pressure and combat exp simultaneously.

it can be done, it's just that people these days are lazy.

Yes, but what's your current level? While killing for your bones may be better in the short term, you will die of boredom in the long run, and likely quit. This debate isn't about lower levels, it's about skillcapes. There isn't any reasonable way to get 99 prayer other than buying your bones.

I hardly think that you can call anyone who gets 99 prayer lazy. Even with a gilded altar, it's still going to be probably near to a month of non-stop praying, playing lots. If you don't buy your bones, it's going to be literally years. You need 51,000 dragon bones to get 99 prayer. If you can kill 51,000 dragons, you're an extremely fast dragon killer - and you've still spent half a year. This number might be off - I have no idea how long it takes to kill a dragon. But it will probably take you at least 6 months, and then another month or two to altar your bones. You're probably going to burn out if you do this. However, 51k dragon bones costs ~75m.... and you can make this money in 400k natures, which will only take you a month or two (not doubling). You've just shortened your 99 prayer by four or five months! Why bother killing dragons? You can also get faster combat EXP elsewhere, and possibly even slayer, depending on your method. If you want combat EXP as well, do this and spend your remaining four months at pest control. You can probably 99 (or at least 90+) you combat stats, including mage and ranged, in that time. So, good luck getting your own bones - but keep in mind there are better methods.

lSEHB.gif

^

i did that to my current level, it's a lot easier. no pressure and combat exp simultaneously.

Yes, but what's your current level? While killing for your bones may be better in the short term, you will die of boredom in the long run, and likely quit. This debate isn't about lower levels, it's about skillcapes. There isn't any reasonable way to get 99 prayer other than buying your bones.

I hardly think that you can call anyone who gets 99 prayer lazy. Even with a gilded altar, it's still going to be probably near to a month of non-stop praying, playing lots. If you don't buy your bones, it's going to be literally years. You need 51,000 dragon bones to get 99 prayer.

it takes more than 53,000 magic longbows to reach 99 fletching, shouldn't that make it more respectable since you need more bows AND a higher level? even more if you take the time to cut your own logs and pick your own flax. sure, fletching may be faster, but you need a higher level to make mage longs than to bury dragon bones, you also need more bows. you could also go out and just bury the 181k dragon bones, amount-wise, that could be compared to fletching 200k unstrung willows...

even looking at slayer, an argument against it would be that it is just combat with less freedom. people often say that combats are easy to level, so why not slayer?

even looking at slayer, an argument against it would be that it is just combat with less freedom. people often say that combats are easy to level, so why not slayer?

For the simple matter of fact that for every 4 xp you get in combat (1 damage) you get 1 xp in slayer. You'd have to kill 4 times the monsters to get a 99 in slayer than to get a 99 in any combat. And since you need to keep making trips to slayer masters and getting new assignments, it takes even longer.

For the simple matter of fact that for every 4 xp you get in combat (1 damage) you get 1 xp in slayer. You'd have to kill 4 times the monsters to get a 99 in slayer than to get a 99 in any combat. And since you need to keep making trips to slayer masters and getting new assignments, it takes even longer.

if you take a look at the runescape official poll for april 2nd, you'll see that the most popular skill among members is slayer(13% of the community enjoys it most, with 1000 votes more than the second favorite). if they enjoy it that much, they probably don't mind killing 4x the monsters and taking breaks to bank and change tasks.

^

I hardly think that you can call anyone who gets 99 prayer lazy. Even with a gilded altar, it's still going to be probably near to a month of non-stop praying, playing lots. If you don't buy your bones, it's going to be literally years. You need 51,000 dragon bones to get 99 prayer.

it takes more than 53,000 magic longbows to reach 99 fletching, shouldn't that make it more respectable since you need more bows AND a higher level? even more if you take the time to cut your own logs and pick your own flax. sure, fletching may be faster, but you need a higher level to make mage longs than to bury dragon bones, you also need more bows. you could also go out and just bury the 181k dragon bones, amount-wise, that could be compared to fletching 200k unstrung willows...

Yes, but magic longbows are much faster than dragon bones, as you have to go to and from your gilded altar for every load of dragon bones, while with fletching you can just sit in the bank. And, as per the previous posts in the debate, collecting your own supplies for 99 fletching would be unimaginably boring. I suppose you could do woodcutting, but the crafting as well would likely kill you. And just the fact that you need a higher level to level up Fletching faster doesn't mean that it's more respectable. You still need the 70 construction for a gilded altar, which can be compared to 85 fletching simply in terms of adding the time required to make the money for it onto the time required to actually level it. Also, with 99 prayer, you have to be actively clicking the whole time, as compared to simply leaving your character and reading forums (my preferred method). Prayers are more likely to burn out than fletchers. So, IMO, prayer is MUCH more respecdtable.

lSEHB.gif

if you take a look at the runescape official poll for april 2nd, you'll see that the most popular skill among members is slayer(13% of the community enjoys it most, with 1000 votes more than the second favorite). if they enjoy it that much, they probably don't mind killing 4x the monsters and taking breaks to bank and change tasks.

I'm not saying no one does it, but I'm saying its not easy and is quite a respectable cape. Even from level 1 slayer, attack, strength, and defense, you could get 99 attack, strength, defense, and hitpoints, and you'd still have an additional 3ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý million slayer xp to go. That's gotta be demoralizing! :ohnoes:

And because a skill is enjoyable, getting 99 in it is not admirable?

Okay wise guy, before talking nonsense like that, just try and get 85 slayer, which is only 1/4 of the total xp needed for 99 slayer and then we'll talk again. Where 85 in any skill isn't altogether that daunting, in slayer, it's massive. The xp/hour rate is the 2nd slowest in the game (only RC is slower). Slayer experience is slow, unpredictable and going to 99 is one of the biggest -if not the biggest- achievements in the game. It's probably also the most respectable way to train combat.

And because a skill is enjoyable, getting 99 in it is not admirable?

to some it isn't. if someone who enjoys fletching gets 99, there will be people that blast them for getting the 'easy 99', even though they did it for fun.

my point was that if you enjoy the skill, it is easier for you to train it. many people enjoy slayer, and 99 in it is one of the most respected things you can do. a person that gets one of the three 'buyable' 99s will face mostly abuse at not getting another skill maxed.

maxing any skill takes a large amount of time that could be spent doing something productive, so is it right to call a 99 the least-admirable? in doing so, the players are saying that the long hours they put into the skill were a waste, for the most part.

There is a limit to how much you can stand a boring skill.

To me mining is the worst. I can't ever see myself getting 99 in it.

But I do love fletching and I got 99 before bots started mass cutting. And firemaking is still a hard skill to raise. No matter the log, you can only burn 1100 logs an hour which is a pain to level even if you go with magics. There is still a lot of work put into any 99, but there is less work in others.

The cape is more revered if it takes longer to get. Slayer takes awhile to get. Runecrafting takes awhile to get. Herblore is hard because you can't find mass ammounts of herbs to use.

On the other hand, with the right amount of money, you can level your skills... (assuming that you are filthy rich)

Range: cannon, rune arrows, 3rd age range

Prayer: dragon bones, best alter, hiring bone runners

Magic: Ancient masses of people in your house

Runecrafting: overpay runners, get masses of them

construction: buy the best planks

herblore: buy masses of materials

crafting: buy the best supplies

fletching: buy the best supplies

Smithing: use the best ores

Cooking: use the best fish

Firemaking: use the best logs

farming: the best seeds, constant runs

Of thoes 12 buyable skills, the ones that take the shortest time and cost the least are fletching, cooking and firemaking.

blackmfmcape,owen13000.gif

owen13000.gif