Question: Least-Admirable Skill Cape

Lunar_Drifter

im gona say firemaking is the least honorable because it is not only easy to buy, but the skill itself is 100% pointless

You don't get 99s for utility. 99 smithing has a use. You can smith full rune. How many 99 smithers do you think actually take advantage of this ability often? If you are rich enough for 99 smithing, you almost certainly have armor better than rune.

I'd say cooking and fletching are the least admirable, as they are certainly the most common (thanks to cook/fletch x). 99 firemaking requires constant concentration, and has a cooler emote. True, it doesn't help you much, but how much does 99 cooking/fletching help you? That said, 99 firemaking definitely comes in third for easiest 99. 99 strength capes are rather common too, but I don't disrespect them. Ultimately, any 99 requires considerable dedication to achieve, and I would never say "99 cooking PMG NOOB!"

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people agree that either Fletching or Cooking are the least admirable. And they are but Cooking is by far the easiest. Cook All, rouges den, and buying every single piece fo food is so easy.I have no respect at all for people with only these capes.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

it makes me feel all warm inside when people say Farming is one of the most admirable skill capes :D

farming is probably the most admirable for a few reasons:

- even after buying it can take months to get unlike other 99s

- you have to keep paying p2p to do it!

- a majority of players do not have the patience to get it on the highscores

- farming can actually cost more than most 99s (even prayer or construction)

I'd say cooking is the least admirable skill cape mainly because people see it as an "Easy 99" that you can just buy and then basically afk to get while losing very little money as the products can be sold afterwards.

Fletching is more profitable than cooking but anyone who strings over 40,000 yew longbows deserves my respect. I can't do over 200 without getting bored.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Farming is arguably the most admirable. There are reasons for and against

Not all, runecrafting is like that too but the point remains that you need both the cash and the time

Furthermore this is also the arguement against farming: does the time spent waiting around for things to grow count? Time is passing, but little effort is required as opposed to say runecrafting or slayer where time is passing and constant effort is required. You can even get cash during the growing time and arguably negate the costs, but I'm not sure that qualifies

- you have to keep paying p2p to do it!

this doesn't really distinguish farming from other skills

- a majority of players do not have the patience to get it on the highscores

Really doesn't prove much in terms of difficulty, that's more like popularity although it might be considered a plus because we're looking for the most admirable and not the most difficult. Besides, construction has fewer high scores anyways

- farming can actually cost more than most 99s (even prayer or construction)

IMO, this would be reason why farming is the hardest.

Farming is a very special skill, difficult to compare it to others since farming, alone, requires you to schedule yourself in order to gain the maximum exp. This kind of planning is very hard to do, some would consider those who have done so to be quite admirable

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Not all, runecrafting is like that too but the point remains that you need both the cash and the time

Runecrafting is seen as a non-buyable skill unlike farming (other 99s meaning other buyable 99s, sorry)

Also unlike farming, runecrafting can produce some serious profit at nearly any level while the money gained from herb farming is not very significant (at least compared to the money from nature crafting).

It is true about runecrafting being a very long skill to get to 99 and i do rank it up in the top 3 of most admirable capes :wink:

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Runecrafting is seen as a non-buyable skill unlike farming (other 99s meaning other buyable 99s, sorry)

Also unlike farming, runecrafting can produce some serious profit at nearly any level while the money gained from herb farming is not very significant (at least compared to the money from nature crafting).

It is true about runecrafting being a very long skill to get to 99 and i do rank it up in the top 3 of most admirable capes :wink:

I was specifically referring to that point. I don't want to compare farming to runecrafting or farming to any other skill for that matter because it's so special

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Fletching is more profitable than cooking but anyone who strings over 40,000 yew longbows deserves my respect. I can't do over 200 without getting bored.

LOL!!!!!!!I did yew longbows all the way \' . Wasn't too hard, just got into a rythym and before long, I was stringing faster than anyone else has ever said :thumbsup: .

(I remember it being 4830 (had a timer and everything set(yes I did try to test my limit on that one occasion))). But I stll have never gotten to 5,000 :wall: .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

I've got to say strength.

Why?

Its the most common cape with 18,238 people having it exactly. At time of this post.

Thats more than fletching and cooking as both the people ranked that have level 96

thats more a popularity issue lots of people do str first but..........fletching and cooking alot of people get but don't really enjoy it while most of the people that get a str cape enjoy it or enjoy cb in general so want more efficiency. i'd say cooking still cause doesn't take alot of effort.
StarViv.png

I believe fiemaking is the least admirable skill cape. Why? It doesn't actually take any skill whatsoever. You just light logs. The emote may be good. but getting it is not that hard.

I know many would just go. "firemaking costs a lot." But compare it to the other skills and it doesn't cost that much. Smithing, Construction and crafting. Those cost MUCH more.

Firemaking is, what I believe, a pointless skill. Some chop thier own logs. making it less expensive. Besides. Due to the amount of autoers chopping higher leveled trees. The supply for these logs are rising. With more logs every day. Go to Lumbridge general in any f2p world. I guarantee that there will be masses of different types of logs in the store. these logs will be cheap, as there is so much more of it.

Actually, i think you guys have it wrong. I'm always hearing, "Oh, cooking skillcape? Noob! You can just buy that!" Well, I have two reasons why I think that that's ignorant:

1.Even if you bought the 99, you earned the money, right? Not everyone can "buy" 99 firemaking.

2.What if you actually fished what you cooked for 99 cooking? Fishing isn't one of my favorite stats, time consuming and repetitive. Would it be considered "nooby" to spend time on a goal?

Also let me say that I have no respect for macroers, that is one instance when I would disregard the achievement of these achievement capes.

Join Epiphany!

Actually, i think you guys have it wrong. I'm always hearing, "Oh, cooking skillcape? Noob! You can just buy that!" Well, I have two reasons why I think that that's ignorant:

1.Even if you bought the 99, you earned the money, right? Not everyone can "buy" 99 firemaking.

2.What if you actually fished what you cooked for 99 cooking? Fishing isn't one of my favorite stats, time consuming and repetitive. Would it be considered "nooby" to spend time on a goal?

Also let me say that I have no respect for macroers, that is one instance when I would disregard the achievement of these achievement capes.

That's a good argument, but that's not a reason why the cooking skillcape is not admirable. That's more of a statement for buy-able skills in general.

Cooking, on the other hand, is the easiest to buy and has over 10k pwoepl with it (and probably many more).

So basically, you're right, you can't say cooking is the worst for that reason, but you can say it's the worst for other reasons.

I know many would just go. "firemaking costs a lot." But compare it to the other skills and it doesn't cost that much. Smithing, Construction and crafting. Those cost MUCH more.

well that doesn't prove that fm is the least expensive does it? That just proves that it's not the most expensive, thus proving firemaking cape is not the most admirable which is pretty obvious.

fletching and cooking both cost less and there's also something special about firemaking: there is no return. This means that of all the money you spend you don't get anything back. There is a return on fletching/cooking and a considerably large one on crafting. This makes firemaking a bit harder.

BlueSig6.jpg

well that doesn't prove that fm is the least expensive does it? That just proves that it's not the most expensive, thus proving firemaking cape is not the most admirable which is pretty obvious.

fletching and cooking both cost less and there's also something special about firemaking: there is no return. This means that of all the money you spend you don't get anything back. There is a return on fletching/cooking and a considerably large one on crafting. This makes firemaking a bit harder.

Thanks for quoting half the post and missing the point :roll:.

Firemaking being a low-costing skill compared to some other skills was just 1 factor for why Firemaking, in my opinion, is the least admirable skill.

I said that it requires very little skill and very little time.

That's why it is the least admirable skill cape. (in my opinion).

Fletching costs much mroe, lets say that you want to fletch some yew short bows. They give you 135 exp each. You will need 93223 Yew short bows to get from level 65 to level 99. a yew is err.... 500 each? (is that right? I'm no good with prices) 93223 * 500 = 46611500 -> 46 million, 611k and 500 gp. This does not include the money gathered from flax or the money lost earlier on in fletching.

Firemaking being a low-costing skill compared to some other skills was just 1 factor for why Firemaking, in my opinion, is the least admirable skill.

Fletching costs much mroe, lets say that you want to fletch some yew short bows. They give you 135 exp each. You will need 93223 Yew short bows to get from level 65 to level 99. a yew is err.... 500 each? (is that right? I'm no good with prices) 93223 * 500 = 46611500 -> 46 million, 611k and 500 gp. This does not include the money gathered from flax or the money lost earlier on in fletching.

Fletching costs much less. Your numbers are way off. First, you get 70 and make Yew Longs. Second, yews are 250-300 ea. Thirdly, you SELL or alch the bows that you make. Either way, you make a profit off yew longs. It costs less for Fletching then FM.

I must say, I respect all skill capes. I look at Cooking and like it, same with fletching. I like them all. 10k out of millions of RS players is still quite a good achievement and shows your dedication. 60 hours of cooking is dedicated and a good achievement in my eyes.

Who cares what others think. If YOU like your skill cape, albeit common, as long as you like it, isn't that what counts, that YOU like what you've worked on?

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

Thankyou Mamong for answering. Now darkforester, for someone who criticizes me for "missing the point" of your post, I would expect you to read mine. Apparently not. I explained that there is a very high return on fletching that doesn't exist on firemaking, which is why firemaking is hard.

Also, if you don't know how much something costs, it's ok to guess except when you rely on that guess as proof. Don't conclude that fletching is expensive because you think yews are 500, and also you didn't include the return, which is all the money that you get back. The alchemy price pretty much breaks even with the price of gathering the materials, and if not, then the price of the yew longs (I believe you even get a bit of extra cash in this situation) meaning the cost for 99 fletching is small.

Furthermore, you claim it's incredibly easy and incredibly fast. Both of these are incorrect when comparing to fletching and cooking

First, about firemaking being easy. Look at the exp rates given per log, quite generous, about as much as fletching, but there's a big difference. You have to click twice for EVERY fire you make, so there is no make x which there is for fletching therefore it's much easier to do fletching (and even easier to do cooking, where there is a cook x)

Then, about firemaking being fast. Again, you can notice that the exp rates per log are quite fast, but building a fire takes more time than fletching an inventory (Stringing bows, as annoying as it may be, is remarkably fast and you would get 99 fletching faster if you only strung bows, only problem is that it requires effort)

Conclusion: Firemaking isn't one of the hardest skills, but it's by no means the easiest. It's a harder skill than fletching (and of course cooking) that takes a lot more money and/or time depending on your method. I find a lot of people turn to firemaking as the least admirable skillcape simply because they don't see a use in firemaking beyond the simple "it's a buyable skill so it's easy" argument.

One's skillcape symbolizes the weeks of hard work and dedication that the person put into it before being a token of pride to show people your mastery of a certain skill.

BlueSig6.jpg

am i the only one who thinks an untrimmed strength cape isn't as admirable? more people have it than fletching, and most just spent a month or two at pc to get it.

as for buyables...

it takes quite a bit of money to get those AND it takes time.

-off of lobsters alone, cooking costs at least 25m

-firemaking costs 4-5m for willows alone, not too expensive, except that it will take quite a while to burn 143k logs, and it's all lost money

-fletching takes time, and though you profit, so you might be able to get another buyable

any combat 99 can be achieved by whoever plays pest control a lot

calling a skillcape 'easy' isn't the brightest thing you could do, even the easy ones take determination.

for a 99 with 10k people, there are possibly 10 million+ runescape players

am i the only one who thinks an untrimmed strength cape isn't as admirable? more people have it than fletching, and most just spent a month or two at pc to get it.

god I absolutely hate everyone who constantly exaggerate things all the time!

[/hypocrisy]

just spend 2 months to get the least admirable skillcape? Do you realize how long that is? It doesn't take a summer vacation for someone to get strength skillcape, that's for some of the harder skills. Skillcape achievements are (for the most part) measured in weeks, not months.

Now for the serious part: I believe the reason people think more highly of strength is that it's actually useful and the effects are more noticeable (people most often compare max hits). It's no harder to raise than attack and only slightly harder to raise defence which doesn't make any difference. The point being that popularity isn't the decisive factor, since the three skillcape pretty much take equal time to obtain but one is more demanded than others, but hey, I guess this is where your opinion kicks in, if you don't admire something just because it's more popular then I guess this works but in that case the reason is not "strength is the easiest to train"

I did like your justification of the difficulty of buyable skills, good job there. :wink: and you even mentioned the no-return idea of firemaking.

That statement holds just as much value as "anyone who uses the abyss can get 99 rc", or "anyone who trains skills can get all 99s" get the point? It's redundant and doesn't prove that such accomplishment is easy. Oh and it's pretty important to be in a pc clan or have a friend willing to betray his clan if you plan on getting 99 in a skill quickly using pc.

calling a skillcape 'easy' isn't the brightest thing you could do, even the easy ones take determination.

You just called a skillcape easy after stating that "calling a skillcape 'easy' isn't the brightest thing you could do". What do you make of that?

BlueSig6.jpg

as for buyables...

it takes quite a bit of money to get those AND it takes time.

-off of lobsters alone, cooking costs at least 25m

-firemaking costs 4-5m for willows alone, not too expensive, except that it will take quite a while to burn 143k logs, and it's all lost money

-fletching takes time, and though you profit, so you might be able to get another buyable

Why I say WHY, do people keep forgetting you sell your cooked produce/fletched bows. At the current market prices, Raw lobster is 210-230ea and Cooked Lobster is 190-220ea. So lets say you lose 20gp a lobster. You need roughly 104k lobsters from lvl 65 (I think thats the stop-burning level with Cooking Gauntlets). 104,000 @ 20ea (loss between raw and cooked) = 2.1M cost.

Cooking is way off your number of 25M. It costs 10x less than what you stated.

If it costed 25M, many, many less people would have 99 Cooking.

Having re read your post through, it may seem as though your trying to say that buying ALL lobsters needed at once for 99 Cooking is a bit exy. But not many people go out and buy all their lobsters at once. Unless they have cash to blow, they might buy 10k for example and cook them, then sell them.

Either way, cooking is one of the easier buyables, because whether you spend all your cash on all your lobsters or buy them in blocks, you still only lose 2.1M.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

just spend 2 months to get the least admirable skillcape? Do you realize how long that is? It doesn't take a summer vacation for someone to get strength skillcape, that's for some of the harder skills. Skillcape achievements are (for the most part) measured in weeks, not months.

if it took that long, i'd have several...

You just called a skillcape easy after stating that "calling a skillcape 'easy' isn't the brightest thing you could do". What do you make of that?

calling it 'easy' as an insult is what i meant for the first part, and without thought to the time involved (ex. cooking is easy because you can buy it), as for the second part, skills that people agree are actually easy. (ex: cooking is easy because you can buy it and read the forums while waiting)

if it took that long, i'd have several...

What the hell, do you seriously think it takes 2 months to get strengh to 99 or fletching to 99 or cooking to 99. These things take about 2 weeks for the most part. If you seriously think they take 2 months, I suggest you find a better method for leveling it.

calling it 'easy' as an insult is what i meant for the first part, and without thought to the time involved (ex. cooking is easy because you can buy it), as for the second part, skills that people agree are actually easy. (ex: cooking is easy because you can buy it and read the forums while waiting)

Well if the skill is easy, then getting the skillcape is easier than others. Wouldn't it be simply and said "least hard", or "least admirable" which is what the title of this thread is.

BlueSig6.jpg

Well if the skill is easy, then getting the skillcape is easier than others. Wouldn't it be simply and said "least hard", or "least admirable" which is what the title of this thread is.

the common opinion is that those capes are not as admirable as others because they're easier, many seem to forget that it's still quite an achievement to get 13m experience in a single skill, and very few people have a 99.

it really all depends on what you call an achievement, or what you admire over what others do

Granted youve got the cash, firemaking is easy to lvl up but the cape looks nice (especially trimmed)

Also if you have the money you can buy bones for 99 prayer (cape has cool emote and it looks good)

Pasty.png