In-Game World Map (120+ Supporters! Pictures! Support Sigs!)

RPGoof

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome! I don't usually need the world map, but when I'm in the wildy or in an unfamiliar place, it's a pain to open the Tip.It world map or the one provided on the RS home page. I support.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

ICE SPORT !!!!

... I mean ... I SUPPORT !!!

heh, welcome to the world of noobscape, its made up of purescape, autoscape, and sadscape, it makes up 60% of all of runescape :(

umervakil_24.png

• 4 weeks later...

This would be great for the newer players to find there way round. And also a quick and easy way to check places for more experienced players.

I support.

I fear there is a good reason why the worldmap is provided as a separate applet. Each applet usually gets only 64mb of ram. Now the runescape client has to do be doing already some very nice memory management to run with not using more than 64mb and not accessing any hd space either (in unsigned mode). Usually the applet uses about 42mb ram.

The worldmap applet itself uses about 28mb. The complete map is quite large, so it is not easy to store it compactly and at the same time still draw it fast. With the current worldmap applet it looks like there has been made some tradeoff already.

Now by combining both into one applet it would use already 70mb. Maybe this could be reduced, but only at the cost of making it even slower than it already is.

I don't want to say, that it can't be done. But it is not so easy if Jagex still wants to support the very old java 1.1 applet standard.

Btw. I have worked on an "improved" version of an world map applet. Currently there is only a german version online. You can find it on http://www.rscommunity.de -> "Weltkarte" (which means worldmap in German). Main features: Fast loading (even without local cache on hd), global dungeon map, continous zoom, resizeable, coordinate locater, teleport map, ...

.: Systemless :.

systemless.png

This is a very good idea, especially for people with Macs. I have a mac, and I cannot open the popup world map or the one you access by clicking on the link under the link for the RSOF. The only way I can access the world map is by going to downloads and clicking on the link there. However, that map is not interactive, so it is fairly pointless.

Add me as well, though what I think is if you go to the map view you can see where your friends are (That are on your world. That is if they have their chat on and appear online at the time.) cause that'd be fun :D

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D