Immortality

Faux

No way. Imagine out living your children, your grandchildren, everyone around you family, friends all dying around you. No thanks!

You've got all eternity to get over it. I don't think you'd stilll be mourning them after a few thousand years.

And after reading more posts on here, I must say that I've got another condition. If I end whenever the world ends (or universe as we will probably colonize space eventually), then I also end. I don't want to live post-apocalyptically. Unless I like get transported to some alien planet. That might be kinda cool.

I wouldn't want to get over outliving every generation that you have helped create.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite possibly.

It'd be nice to see how the future gets on, what new things will be invented, where we will populate...

But assuming that the Sun were to supernova and wipe out the entire solar system, would we be forever drifting through space?

We'll be dead before that. The sun could stretch out to Mars or further when it becomes a red giant or a super red giant.

The sun becoming a super nova wipes out the whole solar system? :notalk:

Hmm... That would happen in millions of years...

Imagine if a black hole sucked up earth, you'd come out the size of a pea if you lived through it. :XD:

I would take it in a heartbeat. Ever see the movie "Queen of the Damned"? Well, one of the ancient vampires, the one that is related to the chick that Lestat eventually ends up with, is happy that she is immortal. She uses that time to look over her family and make sure that they are all safe. I would see myself doing the same.

Meridithila.png

Meridithila.png

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

First Dragon Drop 5/6/2006 -Dragon Med from Bronze Dragon :D

First Barrows Item From Chest 2/20/2007 - Verac's Brassard :D

Quite possibly.

It'd be nice to see how the future gets on, what new things will be invented, where we will populate...

But assuming that the Sun were to supernova and wipe out the entire solar system, would we be forever drifting through space?

We'll be dead before that. The sun could stretch out to Mars or further when it becomes a red giant or a super red giant.

The sun becoming a super nova wipes out the whole solar system? :notalk:

Hmm... That would happen in millions of years...

Imagine if a black hole sucked up earth, you'd come out the size of a pea if you lived through it. :XD:

You can live in a black hole, it's just the supernova prior to the black hole would kill you.

If you were in a black hole, the world around you and what you see would get slower and slower. Not until a point it just stops, just veeery slowly.

knkcopy.jpg

If i had no way of ending it, my answer would be definetly no. but if I had the opiton of ending it anytime I want, I would think about it, or maybe also consider the ability of having the opiton of immortality come around again later in life.

People have been saying that they wouldn't take it because the reasons they like life would die. Other have been saying on other threads that there isn't "the one" (or rather, there aren't "the ones") -- and in this case there could be many reasons for eternal life.

Seriously -- there would be so many new people to meet. Doubtless there are people in the world today that I'd really get on with but just haven't met; similarly, in the future I would expect there to be people I'd get on with, even if a past generation of friends had died.

What's more, there's the idea that one would get to see the future unfolding: a (perhaps) never ending, completely original story. Some people might get bored of that, of course, but not necessarily. The universe is just too big to exhaust, even if one had an eternity. Without dragging this down into a horrible pseudo-science debate about the universe, some people say it's getting bigger (and I shall leave it at that) all the time; if so, there's always going to be more than enough of it to see (even if it is beige). Hypothetically, if one couldn't die or be harmed, one could simply blast one's body off out into space and see where one went.

Another thing: there would be the immense capacity to do good (if you like the idea of good or bad). It might be nasty to have to live for ever, but one could have that warm fuzzy feeling of having done the right thing (some of us call it a conscience) for having performed an eternity of good deeds. If one were invulnerable and immortal, then, if one's ego were big enough to take on the job, one could become a super hero, ÃÆÃâÃâà la Captain Scarlet.

I don't know if I'd take it, though.

There's the whole "it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" thing, which would imply that a possibly infinite number of loves gained from an eternity might outweigh the loss of a finite number of loves in a normal lifespan. (This isn't necessarily what I think, but still).

It depends. If you were immortal, the world would end before you. Then (if it were completely eliminated) you would be floating around in space for all eternity. If I could live somewhere that would never be destroyed or always had the ability to live as I do now and function and communicate with others, probably.

If its 'total' immortatility, i.e. I stay fit and healthy forever, then count me in. I want to see what mankind can do. The one thing that kisses me off about the fact that I'm gonna die in 30-40 years, is that I won't get to see mankind travel to the stars and take up our place as a galactic race, with the others that are undoubtedly out there.

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

One thing i'd much prefer over immortality would be a pause button. Namely to read this massive stack of books runescape has delayed. For two years.

What could is immortality if the world moves faster then you? Take a look at god, it screwed him over ;) [Not really my point to bother people, but what i mean to say is immortality isn't too useful if you can't keep up with the time that goes by]

Pause button would be much better. Living till the sun blows up the earth and continually floating in space isn't my idea of fun.

You'd eventually land on a planet.

As for me, no thank you. Life is already boring enough, and I don't feel like spending eternity living it.

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

Imagine every time you love someone. Having to see them grow older and die while you constantly stay the same would be unbearable for me.

I'd rather live twenty years in happiness than mourn for eternity.

If there is a God, then no.

If there is not a God, then yes.

Even if there is no god, I want to feel what it's like to be dead.

(waiting for someone to state the obvious).

This is my reasoning. If there is a higher being I would not mind because then I know there is life after death. If there is not, I can be immortal and live throughout the ages.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!