Tip.It Times Presents: Pixels

Kiara_Kat

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with this. I really don't understand why people have to be so insulting in the game...

Always give people a chance to get items back, even if its something I want "aka d-chain" etc..

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

good article i must say. it says a lot about the game.

but i must say something about the suicide by hanging part. i had a friend who commited suicide by hanging, not sure if it was over his account. but perhaps it could've contributed, he had other problems in life, as do many other RS players.

so i dont think you should say that there is something wrong with someone who commits suicide. especially if you "heard" a "rumor" that it was all because of this game.

ttdskann.png

I'd just like to say... this is the greatest article i've ever read on tip.it. Thank you swampjedi for making this point public for everyone to read. I just hope that the point of the article makes it into the hearts of all who read it. It doesn't get any more real than this!

very nice ouch on the article =D>

i personally help others in need when im standing like a goofball as thats the kind of person i am, and at the age of 16, you go through adolecence learning these sterotypical people, *especialy school wise* personally, i compleatly craked back in 2002 when i lost my red party hat (like realy lost my mind that week), it was a cherised item in runescape which reminded me of the fun times back then, but now i cant even get close to making money for 1 as i just give up to easy, i mean do you realy want to make so much for it to rise again in your face that you find it so annoying to spend years to get 1 again? to simplicity, no. thats y i attened every big F2P event hoping i might just get that chance...doubt it. but very good article swampjedi

:thumbsup:

Popoto.~<3

This article is so good I think it should be posted on RS forums!! It makes so many good points! But as someone pointed out, a bit about macroing is needed to finish it off. Hopefully everyone that looks at tip.it has read this fully!

bflinty1.png

Drops: Barrows: 60+ DK: 4... Dragon: 60+ Whips: 2... GWD: 0...ouch!

Main Goal: 2000 total with no 99's

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

amen 2 that.....

i h8 people who call me ''def noob/prayer noob''

and its the main reason i dont pk no more.

people who say that r idiots and think they're cool and stuff, and are just as annoying as macroers :lol:

proud owner of a wc cape since 24/02/2007 :D

rofl.jpg

addymwccape,p-b0b.gif

image,pb0b,white,black.png

RS can be such a fun uplifting experience when you play it with nice people ... in my opinion that's what really makes it worth while playing.

Hear Hear !

Swamp - good article, from this point onward I agree with you 100% -

Now, I haven't seen this next one as much recently,

The way we interact with others in game is crucial to how we perceive ourselves and are perceived by others. Deliberate scamming, hacking, - no sod it, lets call it by its right name - stealing is NOT part of the structure of Runescape however you carve up; those who claim to be role playing by so doing are talking just so much bull.

I do however have a different take on the comments made prior this. I have and will continue to use the phrase 'its only pixels' or 'its only a game' which amounts to the same thing. I do not use it as an insult; usually it is aimed at myself or to those I know well in real life who also play the game. Why use such a phrase you may well ask ?

To me it is about perspective. Yes, this game can be fairly addictive, and yes, it can take over if you are not very careful. By reminding myself that that Mage Book I took weeks to get is only a bunch of pixels I retain my hold (tenuous as that may be) on reality.

I constantly remind myself that it is not the item itself (i.e. the pixels) but the achievement of getting that item that counts. Yes, the item is proof of the achievement, but then so is a screen shot.

One must remember at all times that this is a game, and the reason we play the game is for enjoyment and relaxation and this is why we 'invest time (and for those who are members, money) in the game. Let us equate the time spent in game with a 'satisfaction ' or 'happiness' quotient rather than with the pixel based riches we have amassed.

As skillers, we both put more store on goals to be achieved and ranked than on the items we possess in game. others I know will think differently but that is the beauty that is Runescape.

Just my tuppence worth.

Helios

Helios_Gamos.png

Quod liet ingratum est; Quod non licet acrius urit.

VERY good article. definitely words to play by. though i don't claim to be the perfect player (i admit i've gotten really ticked off at other players for various reasons), i can say that i've already been plaing by a few of the rules stated there. maybe this will finally help towards a better RS community? we can only hope.

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

Well Swampjedi, I was in on this rant when it first started back in '06. I agreed with it then, and I agree with it even more now. When I saw that you were writing the Times article this time round, I knew it would be good, I just didn't know THIS good. It is much more thought out than the rant (IMHO) that you had posted. As others have voiced, those reading don't really need the slap in the face that this delivers, as most of them are already living by these words. I just hope that one of the people you are talking about reads this and tells one of their 'in game' friends to read it and so forth and so on.

Party Hats off to you sir.

Lion+O+1.png

I really enjoyed this article. The author certainly makes a wonderful point, and it's true; We should in turn show kindness to those who are rude to us as it really gets them steamed. In most cases, it's the quickest way to avoid an incident.

Awesome article! I give it a gold star! \'

I do have to add one thing. I agree with everything that Swampjedi said in his article, but I have to disagree with one thing from this thread. And that is Pixels = Money.

Yes, if you pay for the game, you have invested money into said pixels, but if you are not a member (as I am not) I can not agree with this statement. Sure I have put time into the game, and therefore Time = Pixels, but it is my choice to play the game. I could instead take on a different project and renovate my house, which would turn Time = Nicer House, which, when I sell it, would then be House = Money, or Time Invested in House = Money.

Sure Time = Money, but what are you doing with that time. Something constructive, or something fun? In my eyes it stands to reason that having fun, or leisure time, does not equal money... unless you get paid to have fun. I know that I don't...

Just my 2 cents.

Lion+O+1.png

Time is one of the few non-renewable resources in life.

All one needs to do is to take a look at party hats to see the value of a non-renewable resource.

Time is valuable and has by default value, whether or not one spends it wisely is up to that person, but any denial on anyone's part to it's value will not negate its worth.

Stoney+Brook.png