Tip.It Times Presents: Pixels

Kiara_Kat

I thought this was a great article. I like the stuff about how you act in game is how you really are. That makes me feel better. :D

To bad a majority of the kids playing this game will never finish reading the article. Even if they do I think it would be safe to say they'd just blow the article off as sappy dribble from an adult and continue their "noob bashing" and scamming.

Hm, I'd just like to say I FINISHED THE ARTICLE. I'm a 14 year-old kid. I do agree with this comment though. Most of my friends cheats in one way or the other, and they all "noob bash" all the time. one scams, the other account shares, another macros, and they all swear ALL THE TIME. The only problem is, I can't figure out how to report them... When I asked Jagex, they gave me a lame computer generated response. I normally get handwritten ones for less important stuff. :wall:

Oh well.

Anyways, great article

p.s. sry about the rant, if anyone could help me though, that'd be great. (message in tipit please. ::'

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice article.

I really can't see myself scamming/cheating, either IRL or ingame. The fact that I'm anonymous won't protect me from my conscience.

---

I think this is a quite good article all together, but I think that it sort of touched on something that either shouldn't have been touched on, or, had it been touched on, it should have been elaborated. Perhaps it deserves it's own article...

I'm speaking of roleplaying: you mentioned how someone could be a master thief, or a master craftsman, or a player killer, but you didn't show how that could be done with consideration to true roleplayers. Of course, I'm one of those who doesn't play Runescape anymore because I've found a game that requires roleplaying and find it infinitely more enjoyable to put myself in the place of the character and not have that experience broken by someone following me going "fr33 st00f pl0x" or someone asking "who's better, metallica or soad?", etc.

Just my thoughts on the matter: If you're going to touch on something, go into more depth or don't touch on it at all.

woah that was excellent, one of the best/THE BEST articles yet, certainly one of the most meaningfull. thanks swampjedi! lol alot of words in that have lots of tricky syllables, terrific..ahh.. ellecution?..in that one.

and ya know anyone who has a problem with this is part of the problem, sorry but everything in this is very reasonable and it's not like you ask everyone to act like one of the 12 deciples or something, what you ask is the least people could do to make the game better to play, especially in the free world aswell, those worlds are shockers the way people behave in them.

btw i'd just like to point out this ;everyone must have noticed the amount of "sexual harrasment" (it sounds pretty serious but thats what it is) in the game ,in the free world especially, towards the girls that play, i have alot of friends in the game who are girls but it's a wonder that any girls play at all the way some guys treat them and follow them around saying random stuff especially asking to be their "gf"..come on guys, i know it's a pretty serious accusation but it is true. i know not many tip.iters would be one of those lowlifes but if anyone sees a girl getting followed around and harrased by these creeps help her out please.

-tyrant...lol i guess me post doesnt go with my rs name , oh well

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

orly8pv6jt4vmui1.gif

Excellent article!

Since myself, my partner, and the 5 boys we have between us started playing runescape over 18 months ago, there have been many occasions we have needed to discuss the repercussions of online misbehaviour. Sometimes the boys were the recipients of abuse, scamming and name calling. Sometimes, they were caught red-handed, typing the same things which upset them, to other players.

The messages we constantly try to instill in their minds are:

First - There are real people, just like them, sitting at computers somewhere in the world reading what is typed.

Second - Those people have feelings, opinions and emotions, just like they do. And the other peoples opinions, game play methods etc, might be different to theirs, but they are not wrong because they are different.

Third - (Based on the old Golden Rule) Treat the other players, as you expect them to treat you.

And for those who wonder, anyone caught misbehaving, is banned from using computer for time appropriate to the crime!

It's too easy for people, young and old, to forget it is real life people who make the game successful.

Thankyou again, for a well-written article addressing this important topic.

this is so true, on my acc s1r 0wnage all i do it pk which is player vs player, when i die i congratulate them sure im mad in real life. but they earned it they defeated me big deal. im not that rich so i do treasure the stuff in the game, and when im bored at home i play rs or xbox360, i koed some pure in the game and got his whip, he came back and said he lagged out, you kn0 wut i did? i gave it back to him, cuz if sme1 lagso ut its not fair, he thanks me big deal hes happy im 1.9mil poorer but still the fact is, act like you would in real life, if some1 dropped a wallet with 190 bucks in it. i dunno if i giv it back, but im 80% sure i will cuz its the right thing to do.

Excellent article, though, about people dying and giving back their stuff, i dont agree.

Some people die because they do something stupid, like venturing into a highcombat zone while unprepaired. I once died in karamja jungle from poison, and lost my full steel ( i had just become member and it was all i had :( ), but I dealt with it. It was my own fault. So when people come to the blue drags when im ranging there and die, i dont pity them.

High level guys should KNOW they should wear a dragnfire shield, lower lvl peeps shouldnt come there because blue drags are way too high for their combat level. So then I keep their drops :).

But to the rest of your article I totally agree :)

halloaap0.png

The first Times article I actually could go through the bother of making a post about (lazy as I normally am). You really touched the essence of in-game behaviour. I do hope that a lot of people read this and that this article might even influence how some people act in-game. A really nice read and I couldn't agree with all you wrote more. Really nice job writing this.

Spectacular! Simply one of the best Tip.It Times Articles ever publsihed!

This has earned:

~Dragon_lord's official seal of approval~

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

Ofcouse it is all true but I get sick of all the morality that seems to be in the tip.it times lately. It is not interesting to read, and it won't change many scammers. It would be nice to have more stuff like the interview with Gregechidna6 which realy shows a part of runescape most people (including me) knew nothing about. I also find the analizings of the economy from Duke Freedom very good.

Well that's just my oppinion on the subject. I don't say the article is bad, I just don't like all the morality...

Ofcouse it is all true but I get sick of all the morality that seems to be in the tip.it times lately. It is not interesting to read, and it won't change many scammers.

It's not the scammers that makes the community so awful, in my experience. The random acts of unkindness hurt us far worse.

It's like we know that the bad guys like Saddam are (were) out there, but it's the guy who cuts you off on the freeway who has the most effect on your daily life.

this is so true, on my acc s1r 0wnage all i do it pk which is player vs player, when i die i congratulate them sure im mad in real life. but they earned it they defeated me big deal. im not that rich so i do treasure the stuff in the game, and when im bored at home i play rs or xbox360, i koed some pure in the game and got his whip, he came back and said he lagged out, you kn0 wut i did? i gave it back to him, cuz if sme1 lagso ut its not fair, he thanks me big deal hes happy im 1.9mil poorer but still the fact is, act like you would in real life, if some1 dropped a wallet with 190 bucks in it. i dunno if i giv it back, but im 80% sure i will cuz its the right thing to do.

-------------------

he lied, if a 1 itemer loses his whip and says he lagged out then he's lying. It might be a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that he's telling the truth though.

Darn it, still can't figure out this quote thing

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

I loved this article, it was very well written and was definitely a good read. I agree with almost everything the author said. Many people I met called me a "pixel hugger" because my two blue masks mean a lot to me. I have spent i dont know how much of my time getting them. Sure they dont mean as much to you but they mean a lot to me. I wish more people would understand this concept.

well, other than that bit of confusion, i thought this was a great article. People often insult me for how i act over my stuff in the game, like if i refuse a good offer for an item important to me. These pixels may be just that, pixels, but theres sentimental value to everything, a first car means a lot to some people, a first whip may mean a lot to an rs player. Personally, id probably be in a bad mood for a month if something happen to my full dharoks, and yeah, iots pixels, but hell, its still important!!!

and the thing about rs showing who we really are, i completely agree. Im not gonna go rob a cake stall in rl or anything like that in rl, but still, im free to act like the real me without fear of being made fun of or anything worse by anyone whose really gonna have a reall afect on my life.

btw, in my eyes, the people who do the insulting are hypocrits. they may make fun of you for not staking your santa, but if they woked hard to get something and someone told them to risk losing it, i doubt theyd just stake it without a second thought.

poke97531.png