Flag holding in cw, Cheating or not?

Danqazmlp

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any time I play Castle Wars with friends we gang up on the people stealing our flag, and ancient the living daylights out of him. Then of course one of us gets the flag. There's nothing wrong with it, it's how you play, and how you win. And honestly, most of the time it's a level 20-40(though I have killed 100+'s for the flag) who thinks they are awesome and gets the flag, then loses it and gives the other team the flag. Maybe if we had a certain level barrier or something so you had to be like 50+ to play then the game would be fair.

wingy77.png

To get in her you need a lockpick...

Wait for it, wait for it..Bow chicka bow wow!

Any time I play Castle Wars with friends we gang up on the people stealing our flag, and ancient the living daylights out of him. Then of course one of us gets the flag. There's nothing wrong with it, it's how you play, and how you win. And honestly, most of the time it's a level 20-40(though I have killed 100+'s for the flag) who thinks they are awesome and gets the flag, then loses it and gives the other team the flag. Maybe if we had a certain level barrier or something so you had to be like 50+ to play then the game would be fair.

Is there any difference between letting a level 20 try to score and let a level 50 try? Either case, they're dead. That doesn't change anything.

well wat is usully do is run to da base asap get da flag and den i usully die and i go 2 teh other team :D :lol: works bout 89% of time :thumbsup:

som1 famos once said: if u aint cheatin u aint tryin.

Thats just my 2 cents

Personally, I don't feel that flag-holding is cheating - but it has its problems that need to be ironed out to make CW games a bit more exciting. I think there's two problems that incur from flag-holding:

1) Flag-holding makes for repetitive boring games of CW, especially with a clan with an ancient.

2) The issue of spies. Although not big enough to have a full rant about, there are some people who infiltrate the other team, take their "enemy's" flag, and don't bring it back home, so no-one on that team can score unless they use the "Take-From" option.

However, I believe that both of these issues can be dealt with in one easy solution:

The flag should be returned to its owner's castle, and a point rewarded to the enemy's team if the flag is kept outside of the owner's castle for 5 minutes.

This solves problem 1) because it forces to game to be more offensive and less of a case of 'who has more defensive ancients'. Problem 2) is also obviously solved because the spy would achieved nothing - a point has been rewarded, so their purpose has been defeated.

Furthermore, I think this can be justified. For a while now, I've noticed CW turning into a game that can be won in 2 mins because a team of ancients waits outside the door for a guy to come out with their flag, and this is turning CW into a previously exciting, strategical game into a very linear, monotonous game. This rule would allow for much more offensive games by taking away the power an ancient has on the outcome in a game, and forcing them to use their powers in a much more creative and exciting way, as opposed to just ice blasting the flag holder. Many would see this as an attack against ancients - well in a way, yes it is, but it's more of a case of taking away this boring defensive style of play everyone seems to have adhered to, and putting more passion and excitement into the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Jagex said once that it wasn't in the spirit of the game to do that, I'll try to look through the archives and find it.

But it does make the game extremely boring. Do you really need to win by 10 points? It's not like you get a bigger reward. All it leads to is the loosing team just leaving.

I was going to suggest something, but while typing I realized a really big, really obvious flaw. Besides, I liked the idea about the 5 minutes thing better.

Look, if your mom still drops you off at school, you ain't gangsta, pull up your damn pants!

142qvyv.jpg

3 down, 7 to go

No, you are wrong. It's perfectly legitimate, that's why it exists in the game. It's not a bug, if it was then this would be bug abuse and that is cheating. However flagholding is a perfectly legal strategy and it can only happen if you screw up. You screw up and get a dissadvantage, that's fair in every way.

I used to think like that. But the disadvantage wrecks the game. Which is NOT legitimate. This is probably another step jagex will take to make runescape better. Not everyone plays for tickets. Yopu previously said someone was thinking selfishly by thinking "I didn't do that, he did!" NOw your being selfish. By saying "I don't care if they don't have fun, as long as i win, I'm happy." and by saying "if my methods of winning are banned, then I won't win." Now THAT'S selfish.

You shouldn't be annoyed at your own mistake. You keep insisting that flagholding is something illegal like macroing, it's not. You can win in castle wars, but does that mean you should?

yes because the point of a game is to win and to lose. Many understand that. It's illegal. But it should be.

How is killing a player dishonest? You claim it's cheating when you sound like a sorry loser who can't stand flagholding to the point where he has convinced himself that it must be cheating.

Killing a player is not dishonest, but THEN you cheat. You take the flag, round up half your team to defend you, then wait. castlewars is for fun. Your taking away the otehr teams fun. Surely that is not what you want? But unfortunately, that's what your doing. sure, if our team loses because of it's own incompetence then noone will complain. But if they were too weak to get the flag, it's no fun + they don't win. I play for fun. And trust me it is boring just to watch some guy holding the flag being chased everywhere.

Sorry if this discussion ended ages ago. this is for future tip.it posters to agrue and agree with. Not neccessarily just against soldus_77. But for the whole 'keep it' side.

1) Flag-holding makes for repetitive boring games of CW, especially with a clan with an ancient.

2) The issue of spies. Although not big enough to have a full rant about, there are some people who infiltrate the other team, take their "enemy's" flag, and don't bring it back home, so no-one on that team can score unless they use the "Take-From" option.

However, I believe that both of these issues can be dealt with in one easy solution:

The flag should be returned to its owner's castle, and a point rewarded to the enemy's team if the flag is kept outside of the owner's castle for 5 minutes.

This solves problem 1) because it forces to game to be more offensive and less of a case of 'who has more defensive ancients'. Problem 2) is also obviously solved because the spy would achieved nothing - a point has been rewarded, so their purpose has been defeated.

1) i agree with, but 2) they could just put the flag back on the stand.

I hate flag holders with the burning passion of a thousand suns. I think that it is a very dirty way of playing the game. It is part of the reason I don't have any form of cwars armor in my house. I loathe that game now thanks to all of the people that hold the flag.

I seriously think that there should be a rule introduced that if any member of a particular cwars team touches their flag at any point in the game than it would immediately be sent back to the top of their castles. Would prevent a team with a lot of high levels from tanking the flag so that the other team cannot score and would make for a much more exciting game imo.

Meridithila.png

Meridithila.png

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

First Dragon Drop 5/6/2006 -Dragon Med from Bronze Dragon :D

First Barrows Item From Chest 2/20/2007 - Verac's Brassard :D

It's strategy. And half the time, the holder is weak enough to k0 with a small group, and have someone get away with it. Of course, there wouldn't even BE a problem if someone on your team hadn't thought that they were good enough to get it, but they died halfway to the first bridge. If you want to blame someone, blame the person...MORON!...That lost it in the first place. If the enemy castle is too well guarded, I don't even try, because I don't want to lose it. It's as simple as self-control. Or, likeI said, just get a group together and go own the holder. Either way works fine. It's just kinda a shame that you can't take banners in anymore...

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Well i've seen pretty much all of the arguments about if it is cheating or not so far, but this is one i think you should think about it the next few posts.

If there was NO flag holding, and the flag was immediately safed whenever you touched the flag of your team, how would defenders feel?

If you regularly play castle wars, you will know defenders have the toughest time when the flag is safed.

how hectic would games be when the flag is always safed. Some people like me play cw to relax and have fun, but maybe no flag holding would make the game too frantic and take the fun out of it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

We have been receiving reports that players are getting their own teams flag and then running up and down stairs in their own castle so people can't follow them. This makes them virtually impossible to kill and protects the flag till the end of the game. This wasn't in the spirit of the game and could lead to some very unbalanced results. To fix this, when going up and down stairs, you can no longer take your own teams flag AWAY from its starting area.

It is still what people are doing. They use the ladders in the center of the map to avoid attackers.

Look, if your mom still drops you off at school, you ain't gangsta, pull up your damn pants!

142qvyv.jpg

3 down, 7 to go

It's part of the game, it's fun(that is btw the whole point of cw) so no point in taking it away.

Fun for the team who holds it. What about the opposing team. Chasing some level 110+ in sheer hope that he drops the flag as he is too powerful to kill. That's not fun.

It's part of the game, it's fun(that is btw the whole point of cw) so no point in taking it away.

Fun for the team who holds it. What about the opposing team. Chasing some level 110+ in sheer hope that he drops the flag as he is too powerful to kill. That's not fun.

Fun is relative. :?

It is a legitimate strajety. Rather than use the built in stronghold, they decide to be slightly wittier than the average player and hold the flag. They prefure less obstacles for people getting it to escape from, so they can defend it better. It is the same as assulting a tower, only more ground and a slightly harder objective.

It allows you to strive to train up your character or that of your castle war clan to be able to compete and utilize this new threat. That is, after all, the spirit of the game. Utilize strajeties that work, and rid yourselves of those that don't, so you might stretejically be more likely to win.

No, it is not cheating, it is simply strategic investments.

Two men were walking through the forest. When they got out, they saw a war. One said cool, and ran forward, the other turned back. Later, both envied the other's decision. Who was right?

~It's not done till you're done with it~

Fun is relative. :?

It is a legitimate strajety. Rather than use the built in stronghold, they decide to be slightly wittier than the average player and hold the flag.

Witty? Witty? How is using the same strategy ad nasuem witty?

fathertime89.png

Smithing-48 strength-66 Ranged-47 Magic-55

Humor is reason gone mad- Groucho Marx

I am a nobody and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.

It allows you to strive to train up your character or that of your castle war clan to be able to compete and utilize this new threat. That is, after all, the spirit of the game. Utilize strajeties that work, and rid yourselves of those that don't, so you might stretejically be more likely to win.

No, it is not cheating, it is simply strategic investments.

If you can name a way of defeating this strategy then I'll agree with you. At the moment I can't see how we can defeatt he person holding the flag. Why?

1) Various other 110+ are helping guard the flag.

2) our team does not group together and LEAVE OUR FLAG UNGUARDED.

3) the other teams to strong for our team to do the same strategy (usually).

plus it takes away the fun of the game. becuase chasing someone is not what we call fun.

besides it strayes from the game's strategy, in CW you are suppose to capture the opponent's standard and take the flag. but if the flag's not there then you can't capture it.

Although not given a fighting change to get the flag has irritated me many times, I do not consider it cheating. If the other players are able to use their skills to obtain this flag, then I applaud to their good effort and nice job. Even though it can be frustrating even make the person drop the flag, I do not consider this cheating in any way shape or form.

its not cheating at and its always fun if your the one holding the flag keeping it from the other team. :thumbsup:

can you read what i posted just above you? I said that it is not fun for the OTHER team. Why spoil one team's fun for the pure fun of yourself?