Woodcutting Analysis: Dragon Axe vs. Rune Axe

PhelimReagh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a nice effort, keep up the work! Hmm, im still wondering if i will get a d axe

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

This suggests that D Axe is indeed worth the money to spend. If you dont feel like keeping the axe, there is nothing stopping you (and in fact it is rather easy to) resell the axe once you have finished with it. Any loss you incur (if any) would be paid by the logs you cut anyway, so its all good.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

you also have to wonder tho, does different times at which you woodcut effect the times? In other words, for a more accurate study, you'd have to cut with a rune ax for 1 load, then next load cut with a dragon ax...maybe that's what you're doing...i dunno.

w4M8t.png

you also have to wonder tho, does different times at which you woodcut effect the times? In other words, for a more accurate study, you'd have to cut with a rune ax for 1 load, then next load cut with a dragon ax...maybe that's what you're doing...i dunno.

N64jive, for your particular question, I go at it like this:

2 Rune loads

4 Dragon loads

4 Rune loads

4 Dragon loads

4 Rune loads

2 Dragon loads

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I get some meaningful analysis out of this at the end.

I'm actually quite surprised at the Dragon Axe's performance so far.

If you can cut 100 logs an hour w/ rune, you can cut 108 logs an hour w/ dragon axe. Thats 8 more logs, at 240 each, 1,920gp more PER HOUR. You'll have to cut for 1,562 hours to make up the money it took to buy a dragon axe. For the bonus it gives, I just don't think it's worth it.

Cowmasta13.png

So far i have not regretted buying d axe. I seem to cut yews MUCH faster than a rune wc axe so i don't really think it's only better by a mere 8%...

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

If you can cut 100 logs an hour w/ rune, you can cut 108 logs an hour w/ dragon axe. Thats 8 more logs, at 240 each, 1,920gp more PER HOUR. You'll have to cut for 1,562 hours to make up the money it took to buy a dragon axe. For the bonus it gives, I just don't think it's worth it.

There are a few flaws in that analysis.

First of all, in my experiment I'm getting 215 Yews/hour with the Dragon, and 199 with the Rune.

I'm getting 16 more Yews/hour (4.8K gp/hour ... Yews are 300-320 nowadays).

And I don't need to make up the whole 3.1 million gp cost of the Dragon Axe. I can still re-sell it at some point. What one needs to worry about is possible depreciation in value of the Dragon Axe (as the price of said axe is known to fluctuate at at times).

Every 21 hours spent woodcutting (~4.5K yew logs) you get an extra 100K for having used the Dragon Axe.

So if you bought the Dragon Axe for 3.2 Million, cut 10K Yews, and then sold for 3.0 Million, you'd be slightly ahead of the game.

really... the dragon axe is 15% better than the rune one... it's what was said when it wasa upgraded to be better...

if you get higher/lower percents than this, then it would be because there is still a random factor in here... but anyway, the dragon axe is really worth it =) no doubt!

Scherzo.png

really... the dragon axe is 15% better than the rune one... it's what was said when it wasa upgraded to be better...

if you get higher/lower percents than this, then it would be because there is still a random factor in here... but anyway, the dragon axe is really worth it =) no doubt!

Where exactly did you see this 15% figure? I went to the Game Update release to make sure, and...

Dragon Axe improved

Until today the dragon axe was only as good at cutting trees as a rune axe. We've now made it slightly better! However we have raised the woodcutting level requirement for chopping trees with this axe to 61.

I searched high and low for some kind of official word on how much better the Dragon Axe was, and could not find any.

Hence, why I started my own analysis. "Slightly better" doesn't sound like much at all. And considering that Jagex's description of Gloves of Silence was "Your chances of being successful at pickpocketing are greatly increased", yet the analyses I saw on RSOF were all somewhere between a 1-4% increase, well, I wanted to find out what "slightly better" really means in hard, concrete terms.

So if you bought the Dragon Axe for 3.2 Million, cut 10K Yews, and then sold for 3.0 Million, you'd be slightly ahead of the game.

If you cut 8% faster, then cutting 10k yews is equivilent to ~9.25k with rune. Time wise. Which is ~ 4 hours? In those extra 4 hours spare you could for example craft natures and make ~ 400k an hour which is an extra 1.6M gp. So for 20k logs cut with dragon, using the spare time to craft natures you'll have earned enough to get your axe back.

If you cut 8% faster, then cutting 10k yews is equivilent to ~9.25k with rune. Time wise. Which is ~ 4 hours? In those extra 4 hours spare you could for example craft natures and make ~ 400k an hour which is an extra 1.6M gp. So for 20k logs cut with dragon, using the spare time to craft natures you'll have earned enough to get your axe back.

wait, maybe im misunderstanding something, are you saying it takes you 4 hours to cut 750 yew logs?

wait, maybe im misunderstanding something, are you saying it takes you 4 hours to cut 750 yew logs?

According to the stats in this topic it's 199 yews per hour with rune, and 216 with dragon. So yeah, about 4 hours for 750 yew logs (with rune)

According to the stats in this topic it's 199 yews per hour with rune, and 216 with dragon. So yeah, about 4 hours for 750 yew logs (with rune)

ah, got ya, i just was thinking ive cut alot of logs before in a day and really that seemed like a long time for that many. but i see the mathematics is your basis.

Of course dragon axe is better. There is just that thing, I would be too afraid to lose it, by getting distracted cause these forums (go afk and random event..). :uhh:

u5zhkTY.gif

iv wondered how much better the d axe

off topic: oh god 666 post count :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

wendigo66.jpeg

click my sig for my blog!!!

Thanks everyone for the sigs they pwn!

No. Why should i give presents for someone in rs?

Most selfish thing I've ever heard