Your parents & Computers. Can they handle them?

woopidoo2

My mum used to be good at them, stoped using for about 8 years and now is back to being rather hopeless; although getting better.

Still asks a lot of strange questions though :-?

My Dad could definitely manage, but my Mom? no, she can do basic things but not much else, but oh well at least she can turn on the thing, lol

If I told my mom to "Google it", she'd have no idea what I was saying.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

They're both good. My dad's job, after all, is a computer programmer (he prefers Python, he taught me C/C++ a while ago and may teach me about Python soon) and though my mom is not good at technical stuff, she can type, make Word documents, send emails, play games, and do all of the basic stuff your average person would require from a computer.

Most of what I know about computers I learned from the "heyyyy, what does this button do? *click* " method. :)

sig2.jpg

They're both good. My dad's job, after all, is a computer programmer (he prefers Python, he taught me C/C++ a while ago and may teach me about Python soon) and though my mom is not good at technical stuff, she can type, make Word documents, send emails, play games, and do all of the basic stuff your average person would require from a computer.

Most of what I know about computers I learned from the "heyyyy, what does this button do? *click* " method. :)

With me it's from modding computer games and what you said above.

I usually only mod RTW and it's a pain if you screw up or forget to backup and have to reinstall (it takes hours on this comp). And CA (Creative Assembly) encourages modifying of Rome Total War, as long as you don't sell it!

My dad can manage his way around. He's literate enough to be able to work with a computer (he uses Excel like every day at his job, so he pretty much knows the ins and outs of that program).

Mom-Ugh. Impatient, can't type, can't remember how to do simple tasks (her: how do I make this go away? me:alt-tab [every day for months]). She somehow doesn't even know how to browse websites effectively. If she goes online in search of something, even if she already has the website and just needs to find information off it, she takes forever.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

My mom has her own 2300$ laptop computer, which is plugged in on a desk, that she uses to type mile-long emails. Seems like a waste, then i considered her using the desktop, and kicking me off forever.

My dad has a laptop on the dame desk as the desktop, which is the one I use mainly. He absolutely refuses to unplug it and take it with him, under the beleif that t wasnt mad for that. He installs software on the main one, though, so he has to be at least basically literate.

Me: I disable blocks and clear the history. Technically, there is no proof that I know how to use a computer. :twisted:

Still alive, still alive.

I changed the homepage to hotmail on my computer and my mum went: Where is the internet!! Andrew you're so into email, the rest of us can't use the internet!!!

She has no clue!

My dad works with computers, so he is good with them.

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

My father likes to think he knows his way around a computer. He can sign into MSN, but has to ask me what to do once he's signed in.

My mum has no idea. She doesn't know how to turn a computer on. She's quite content with a Playstation2 anyway.

I get by more on luck than judgement.

suzironniesigwx2.jpg

The Poison Fairy

My dad uses a laptop a lot for typing up notes and summaries and stuff, he's pretty good with word and can find his way around the internet.

My mum's fairly hopeless though, when my sister went travelling I had to spend a good hour telling her how to turn it on, open up hotmail and send and receive emails. She'll of forgotten all of it now though.

I think one of the main problems with older people and computers is that they're unwilling to experiment and persevere. They see an error message and don't dare click on next.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

My dad knows a bit about Computers. He done so many transfers of hardrives and other stuff between computers is amazing...(From home comps, to our old Video store comps)

My Mom used to be hopeless, but know shes getting better. She knows how to open e-mail and use MSN.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

No, and they're not interested in it either. My mom sometimes checks her e-mail for work. And only uses the one he has at work, to do his work on. But why should they be. Wish I wasn't interested in it.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I think one of the main problems with older people and computers is that they're unwilling to experiment and persevere. They see an error message and don't dare click on next.

Very true. Also, they don't even know how (or dare) to even follow instructions, wether from speech or from text. They seem to just not be bothered, and when I become impatient with them for not listening with what I am saying (perhaps they just can't get into the understanding that they are being told what to do by their own son), they just tell me off! It's soo fustrating! :x

Also, is it just me, or are mothers as a trend worse at computers than fathers? I'm not trying to be sexist, just trying to outline some facts from the previous posts (and my experience) :?

My dad is quite literate with computers, he is an ebayer, an e-mailer, a surfer, and types his own invoices for work, but I type twice as fast as him so I often do his invoices for him for the sake of time.

My mum is the epitomy of computer illeteracy. Ill leave it as that. :oops:

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Dad~Works with computers, knows basic and a little bit more difficult things. Although his typing is: *hit key*..........*3-6seconds later, hits key*...*Repeats*.

Mom-whoa, impatient, swear one day she'll break the whole computer cause a page didn't load...

Talking about patience. That's the only thing my mother does on the computer besides checking her work's e-mail. :P

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!