Day 1: Ten Days, Ten Threads

trapical

June 7th, 2007 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Ten Days, Ten Threads.

Day 1

Ten threads in ten days. An interesting concept. Most people browse a forum, reply to an interesting thread or two, and on occasion start a thread of their own. My plan? For 10 days in a row I will make a thread at exactly midnight Central Standard Time, ending at the dawn of the day of June 16th.

I hesitated to do this at first. I hardly want a bunch of people trying to do the same thing, but doing so by posting random, hastily made threads with no real context just so they could post every day. Let it be noted that the threads I am posting for the next 9 days are not made on the whim. Over Christmas break six months ago I got this idea, and ever since then I have been on the lookout for creative thread ideas. In April I started to write these posts, and I saved them all in a Word file. At the time of this posting all of my 10 threads will have already been written except for some minor last minute adjustments.

Why am I doing this? Perhaps the easiest way to explain is this is my one thousandths post on tip.it, and I figure I might as well celebrate a little ;). But in truth it more complicated than that. I am spending less and less time on the internet and when I do feel like posting on a forums I find myself posting more often on sites that are composed of my peers, such as the student doctor forums which is comprised of fellow Pre-Med majors of my age. Nothing against tip.it but I feel alone among high schoolers and computer science majors here :| ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s not a bad thing, but the fact is there are many debates and discussions that I simply canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t bring up here.

However tip.it is my home and I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t ever plan on leaving forever. Perhaps the other reason I will be spending less time here is due to the MCAT that I am taking in August. Many of you know the name MCAT, and to those who donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t, imagine the ACT/SAT on steroids. This is the one test that prevents 90% of Pre-Med majors from getting into Med Schools (the average Med School is more selective than trying to get into undergrad at MIT or Harvard) The MCAT is a brutal test that tests all the basic sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Calc-based Physics, and Organic Chemistry) and no one has gotten a perfect score for more than a decade. The test is graded out a possible 45, but the average is a mere 26. A 31 is essentially required for admission to any Med School, thus for many the path to becoming a doctor ends with the MCAT. I have been studying for it since the third week in April and now that summer vacation is upon me I have been putting in 8 hours a day for it, and plan to do so for the next 75 days (the test is August 20th). So yea, fun test. :D

You will see this series unfold before you each day, and I hope this will be something some of you will enjoy, and dare I say, something that some of you will consciously think about checking when you first arrive on the forums each day? Lol, regardless, these next 9 days will contain a total myriad of thread subjects; some will deal with interesting technological breakthroughs while others might deal with more thought provoking subjects. Whatever the case, I beseech you all, if you get the chance, try and catch the final post of this series. The thread posted on June 16th, Day 10, will be a colossal read with personal insight and implications that I want to share with others. But I digress, and we need not dwell on that subject now. I thank you for you time in reading this long post, and I hope you all enjoy the next 9 days ;)

Day 1: Ten Days, Ten Threads

Day 2: Feelings Are Unexplainable

Day 3: Asia's Slaves

Day 4: The Future of Computing

Day 5: A Toast to Seven Great Companies

Day 6: Malaria, Killer of Men

Day 7: About Love

Day 8: Trapical Does Tarot!

Day 9: Stand Back and Look at it All

Day 10: Revelation

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Excellent idea! ^_^ I look forward to reading all of your threads!

Off-topic: I'll be a senior in high school in August, and I plan on going into the health field. I'm actually doing a bit of an internship at my local hospital for the next week and a half. So, I might come to you with questions. :P

3898000bYVcx.png

Yes, great idea! I'm looking forward to everyone of the topics. I mean, when I see a thread with trapical as the author, I know it'll be a good read no matter what.

Good luck on the MCAT...you're a smart guy from what i've seen here, and studying for 4 months will only help you more. :P

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

Ah, to be honest, I've never had the patience to study science or medicine, anatomy or the like. It was always far too rigid for me. Instead of knowing how the body works, I've been more interested in knowing what it does.

I'm more fascinated by the idea that the future of your entire life might be decided by the flip of a coin (heads I go to the movies tails I go to the game), who you meet, what you say, what you do, where you live, event chains, coincedences, big things...

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

Cool, looking forward the threads... And goodluck on being a doctor.

I could never be one, seeing everything that is wrong with people, who are putting their lives in my hands, I would get worried about myself even getting the smallest of colds, because I will of seen what some people had gone through because they thought all they had was a small cold. *shudder*

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

Normally this is the sort of 'gimmicky' idea that I hate but it seems that you've put alot/ or are putting a lot of thought into the idea behind the topics. Therefore I think it might be a good idea, I'm looking forward to seeing some decent and interesting topics in here.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

This sounds great, and it really makes me regret that I'll be out of town for the last 8 threads. :(

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Hm, you mentioned MIT and Harvard out of all the colleges/unis out there, any chance you live in Massachusetts?

And gratz on 1K posts. And good luck on your test. I'm looking forward to your other threads.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

This sounds great, and it really makes me regret that I'll be out of town for the last 8 threads. :(

They're not going anywhere, you can read them when you get back :P

Hmm, you mentioned MIT and Harvard out of all the colleges/unis out there, any chance you live in Massachusetts?

Nope, I'm a Wisconsinite. I just figured they are the most well known of the highly selective schools for undergrad.

Oh, and thanks for all the compliments guys, really, you're too kind :wink:

Could you add links to the previous ones in each topic? I am also going to be out of town from Sunday to Thursday next week, and I am a very lazy person, so if someone else can do the work for me I always try for that :P .

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I know, but I won't be able to get in on the discussions early on. :P

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Could you add links to the previous ones in each topic? I am also going to be out of town from Sunday to Thursday next week, and I am a very lazy person, so if someone else can do the work for me I always try for that :P .

It's all planned for already, you'll see \'