Super Smash Brothers terminology guide! (Updated)

Inuashakent

For now, this will be just a guide about explaining a few terms.

Yes, I actually made this guide. Still has a few missing terms, but it will be udpated. I just wanted to start this guide out with a few terms. :lol: If you see any errors, please tell me because I'm human. :lol:

If anybody wants me to add something, just post wht you want me to define.

Aerials, or airs When you attack in the air, that is considered an Aerial attack. By putting a letter before it, you determine which attack it is. Bair, fair, uair, and dair which means Back aerial, forward aerial, up aerial, down aerial. Zair is also considered an aerial, and is used by pressing the Z button while in the air. Only certain characters who can use the tether recovery using the Z button has this type of attack.

Airdodge Pressing guard in the air lets you evade all attacks.

Arrow canceling - For Link and his toon version, if you shoot the arrow as you land you can cancel out most of the lag.

AT - Advanced techniques.

Autocancelling, auto canceled, ect By doing an attack fast enough in the air, you can make it so that by the time you land youre completely done with the move, which means no lag. For example, if you pick Gannandorf and immediately dair while a shorthop, there will be no lag if timed perfectly.

B-stick, or B-sticking To make is so that using the C-stick on the Gamecube controller does a smash attack. Commonly used to use special attacks to recovery without fastfalling in the process.

Camping - By standing in one spot to make the opponent come towards you. Done mostly by spamming a projectile.

Cooking - By holding on to Snake's bomb, you "cook" or let the time limit run off on the bomb so by the time it hits the opponent, it explodes.

Counter An attack that only a few characters possess. When attacked, they automatically do a counter-attack and ignore the previous attack that connected. For example, Marth and Ikes Down B attack.

C-stick, or C-sticking To make it so that using the C-stick on the Gamecube controller does an uncharged smash attack. (Can be charged by holding the Z button)

DI or Directional Influence Holding a direction can change the angle in which you fly off when you get hit by an attack.

Disjointed hitbox Attacks that are not connected to a player, but still is not a projectile. For example, Pikman and his Smash attacks.

Edgeguard Trying to not make the opponent.

Edgehog Grabbing on the edge so the other player recover. When you grab the edge, you get invincibility frames. Also, in SSBM you used to be able to roll and your opponent could not grab the edge. In SSBB, however, they can grab the edge if you roll off.

Frames - Super smash bros melee and brawl is 60 FPS.

Gimp Hitting an opponent that is already off the ledge, making is so that they wont recover.

Hitbox The amount of pixels an attack covers.

Hyphen Smash - While running, hold the C stick down and press up z immediately. You should slide, and it works with a few characters like Link, Snake, and Shiek.

IA, or Invinciblity frames - Certain frames where you cannot be attacked, such as when you grab an edge, or use the star item.

John - Excuses for losing.

Ken Ken Hoang was known to be the best player in SSBB, earning over $50,000 just from player SSBB! He mains Marth, and his alternative character is Fox.

Ken theory The Ken theory states that all peach mainers are effeminate, metrosexual, homosexual, or are fat white people.

Laser lock If an opponent lands on the floor because he was hit, blast him with a laser with Falco! This will trap him with an infinite. A jab lock is also possible, by pressing a when an opponent lands, and then walking to him and pressing a again, ect.

Lip - Edges on certain stages where you can gimp yourself, like Final destination.

Main The character you use the most, and most commonly you are the best with.

Mindgames - Being unpredictable, predicting your opponents and punishing, ect.

Priority When two attacks collide, the one with the higher priority will cancel the other attack out. Damage or knockback does not determine priority.

:arrow: Pro - Kent.

Projectile Exactly what it says.

Punish To attack an opponent that missed an attack with a large lag time.

Quick dash attack - For dash attack, if you press the c stick instead of the a button for dash attacks, you can start up without running too much. If you press a during the startup frames for running, you do a smash attack.

RAR, or Reverse aireal rush - While running, if you tap the other direction, shorthop, and bair you can do a bair is the direction you were running.

Recover, or recovery To try to get back on the stage when knocked off.

SA, or Super armour - You can get damaged, but you do not flinch. Only happens on a few frames of certain attacks, such as Olimars down b or Ikes up b.

Shield grab When you are attacked while guarding, press A to grab the opponent.

Shine Wolf, Fox, and Fox reflector used for offence.

SHFF - Short hop fast fall, and there are add ons such as SHFFL, or short hop fast fall laser, ect.

Smash DI Holding down the C-stick makes it so that you fly less.

Spacing By putting distance between you and your opponent so you wont be punished from your attacks.

Spam Using the same move over and over.

[bleep]e An attack that sends an opponent vertically down, used as a gimp.

SSBB Super smash bros brawl

SSBM Super smash bros melee

SSB64 Super smash bros 64

Sweetspot - Certain hitboxes on certain attacks does extra damage and has more knockback. For example, the tip of Marth's sword.

Tap jump An option for your controller. By pressing up, you have the optional ability to jump. This can be turned off to be able to do utilts and uairs without jumping, but you wont be able to upb from a shield.

Teching - When you land, you press shield and a direction and you should roll.

Tech chase - You predict where your opponent is going to roll and punish him for it.

Tiers - A ranking of how strong each character is, and a new list is usually made around once a year. This is decided by the "Smash back room."

WOP, or Wall of pain Doing an aerial with Jigglypuff so you can continuely gimp the opponent taking full advantage of Jigglys aerials and multiple jumps.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Hmmm the Ken theory seems to insult me.......

Good guide though. Now I won't have to ask you about your abbrieviations.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I do not apply to the supposed Ken Theory, so no, it is not true. I am a beast with Peach without being effeminate, metrosexual, homosexual, or an obese caucasian.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Nice, I learned some stuff. A few mistakes I found...

Edgeguard - Trying to not make the opponent.

Incomplete?

Edgehog Grabbing on the edge so the other player recover.

You mean..."so the other player CAN'T recover"?

The Ken theory is awesome by the way.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Nice, I learned some stuff. A few mistakes I found...

Edgeguard - Trying to not make the opponent.

Incomplete?

Edgehog Grabbing on the edge so the other player recover.

You mean..."so the other player CAN'T recover"?

The Ken theory is awesome by the way.

Eh, Edgeguarding is the general act of trying to keep th e opponent from recovery. For example, WOP, edgehogging, gimping, tether hogging, ect.

And thanks for finding that error.

inuyashakent-2.png

Ken theory The Ken theory states that all peach mainers are effeminate, metrosexual, homosexual, or are fat white people.

I lol'd. Hard.

50 grand off brawl? damn. and people tell video game addicts to get a job ::'

Is there a term for players who say their best character is a certain noob character (i.e. Game and watch) just because its controversial? there should be. I see all the time on discussion boards people ask best character? "game and watch". Now I'm sure there are game and watch masters out there (I personally am a ROB mainer and I take a lot of crap for that) but there can't be so many people who think they're ownage with game and watch. I also love hustling my friends at SSBB. I pick ROB as my best character. People ask why, I say "he looks cool". They think I'm a noob. Then I WTFPWN them. They're lucky I'm not a gambler or I might be on my way to being a new Ken (well maybe not. I'm not THAT good at brawl, but i pwn my friends).

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I lol'd. Hard.

50 grand off brawl? damn. and people tell video game addicts to get a job ::'

Is there a term for players who say their best character is a certain noob character (i.e. Game and watch) just because its controversial? there should be. I see all the time on discussion boards people ask best character? "game and watch". Now I'm sure there are game and watch masters out there (I personally am a ROB mainer and I take a lot of crap for that) but there can't be so many people who think they're ownage with game and watch. I also love hustling my friends at SSBB. I pick ROB as my best character. People ask why, I say "he looks cool". They think I'm a noob. Then I WTFPWN them. They're lucky I'm not a gambler or I might be on my way to being a new Ken (well maybe not. I'm not THAT good at brawl, but i pwn my friends).

I hate Rob mainers because Rob is strong... and he's one of 2 weak points to Snake... :evil:

inuyashakent-2.png

I guess I'm a Game and Watch mainer, but why is he noob? T_T

And yeah, you can make quite a bit of money from competitive gaming. I mean, look at South Korea...

I never said he was a noob. Anyway, I'll add a few more terms here before I leave.

inuyashakent-2.png

Kirby's final cutter when the opponent is hanging on the edge = they are dead.

^ Mentioning this because somewhere in the guide it went on about edges and death...? I don't know, I don't remember.

But fun guide, learned some new words...=P

Disjointed hitbox Attacks that are not connected to a player, but still is not a projectile. For example, Pikman and his Smash attacks.

Isn't it Olimar and his Smash attacks? (i don't have SSBB, but I have Pikmin 2)

Shine Wolf, Fox, and Fox reflector used for offence.

Forget someone there?

Oh, and we've renamed Wolf's Shine. It's now the Super Kung-Fu Action Jesusaurus Power Aaaaactivaaattee!!! So you might want to put that in there.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

• 2 months later...

You still haven't fixed your shine typo. And I expect that SKFAJPAAA to be put in there as its own term.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif