Nintendo anounces DSi

Nadril

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/02/nint ... s-the-dsi/

dsi.jpg

As expected, Nintendo just announced the DSi at its fall presentation -- and it's got dual touchscreens. The company is calling it a "third platform," which means it's complementing the existing DS Lite, not necessarily replacing it. Lookswise there's not much different, but it's some 12 percent thinner, partly because it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot. The touchscreens are also slightly larger, at 3.25 inches, and there's an external three megapixel camera, and a front-facing camera located on the hinge. There's an SD slot and internal storage -- we're not sure how much at the moment, but photos can be taken directly to the Wii Photo Channel on the card. Nintendo's also launching an online DSi Shop, which will sell content directly over WiFi, including a free browser app and "DS Ware" game -- and you'll be able to get on for free at "Nintendo Zone" hotspots, which will be located in Japanese McDonalds. The store will take the newly-renamed Nintendo Points, 1000 of which will come free with the DSi until March 2010 and content will be priced in 0 / 200 / 500 / 800 point brackets. ¥18,900 ($178), launching in Japan on November 1st in black and white -- the rest of us will have to wait until next year.

Offical (Japan) DSi site

Two touch screens, a camera, and no GBA slot. It will be interesting to see how people go about using two of them.

I'm currently tempted to buy one, as by the looks of it you can play your own music on it, which was a major feature that it currently lacks. The 3 Megapixel Cameras are a nice bonus too ::' Oh god, I feel like a could compliment and drool over it all day! =P~

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Not having a GBA cartrige is a real turn off for me... other then that it looks like its going to be a really good game system. Its going to blow the PSP out of the water.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa :shame:

*hides from the inevitable flame war*

faiyaz101.png

Unfairly Banned-Appeal In Process, Its been slow due to the sheer number of them

Bad Nadril, I already had this posted two days ago. :P

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=763837

No GBA slot: Was about time, you won't hear me complaining.

3 mp camera: Wow, I expected worse quality. Awesome, I don't own a digital camera, this will come in handy.

SD card: Pirating just got easier.

Bigger screens: YAY! But why the same resolution?

I also heard that it will have a built it browser and the system's WiFi will be faster...that's awesome.

It looks like the power switch has been relocated...wow looks weird.

it's a downgrade. the camera is 0.3.. Wow..

That's only the interior camera. The exterior one is 3 megapixels. Given, that's not exactly overwhelming.

What do you expect? You most likely will not be using it for art or anything hardcore, and 3 mp sounds plenty useful for everyday needs.

The internal camera I imagine is used for videochat, most webcams have 0.3 mp, I see no reason for bigger resolution, as you will only be viewing the 0.3 mp capture on the screen of your ds.

Some DSi pics: http://www.dsfanboy.com/photos/nintendo ... 9073/full/

Jostiq compares the DSi to the Psp and the iTouch: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/ninte ... ouch-v1-0/

All in all:

- No GBA Slot

- SD Slot

- Internal storage space

- Two built-in cameras (3MP & 0.3MP)

- Music player (seems like a built-in Play-Yan)

- Bigger screens

- Slightly thinner than the DS Lite

- Just ONE Touch Screen (Same as DS/Lite)

- Built in web browser

- "DS Ware" to be available for purchase (including free apps/games like the Apple App store) 1000 Nintendo points come with each DSi (games will be priced Free, 200, 400, and 800 points.)

- Will be available in Japan on November 1st for $179.99

- A new firmware and DS Channel/App interface

- Mii support on DS

Get saving, it'll come out sometime in early 2009 for Europe and America. :)

rickastleywh7.png

it's a downgrade. the camera is 0.3.. Wow..

That's only the interior camera. The exterior one is 3 megapixels. Given, that's not exactly overwhelming.

What do you expect? You most likely will not be using it for art or anything hardcore, and 3 mp sounds plenty useful for everyday needs.

Hey, there's only one thing I expect on a Nintendo console - good games. The DS has them by the bucket-full.

My DS never actually leaves the house, unless I'm going on holiday or something like that. Thus, having a camera on it would be pointless for me, when I've already got another digi camera with a higher resolution which also doubles as a webcam.

I think I'll be sticking to the Lite. I can't really see any use for the second touch screen, or the camera, or the music playback. Sounds a bit too gimmicky, without ever delivering on substance.

I wonder if jintendo still has the funds for another printer, that thing was awesome...actually it was a horrible waste of time, never worked

I knew they would ditch the GBA slot, i dont know anyone who uses it

tifsdac6mc.gif

I'm currently tempted to buy one, as by the looks of it you can play your own music on it, which was a major feature that it currently lacks. The 3 Megapixel Cameras are a nice bonus too ::' Oh god, I feel like a could compliment and drool over it all day! =P~

I've been using my DS Lite as a music player for 4 months or so...

It's more that Nintendo are now money grabbing .

No different from the other companies in the games industry, and why censor dodge, it doesn't make you cool.

Tip.it has a censor?

But if that's what you think swordhand, they're sure making a helluva lotta money =P

I've been using my DS Lite as a music player for 4 months or so...

I know you can buy those things off eBay, and the like, but my parents are skeptical about them, so they will not let me buy one.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I might buy this just because I don't have one and it supports SD without a Flashcart. Other than that, the camera is just a gimmick, the browser is a joke ("You'll be able to get on for free at "Nintendo Zone" hotspots, which will be located in Japanese McDonalds," Does that mean that you pay for it anywhere else?).

Yeah, the only improvement is that there is now no need for a flashcart. Like Ginger said, the only thing I expect from Nintendo is good games. This new version makes it a bit easier to access Homebrew, but probably won't do anything worth re-buying.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

It's more that Nintendo are now money grabbing .

No different from the other companies in the games industry, and why censor dodge, it doesn't make you cool.

Maybe, but they didn't use to be like that, or at least less like it, now they give the seal of quality to any old crap.

I woudn't censor dodge if it wasnt so constricting.

mgssteelwarol7.png

Hmm, I wonder.. it will probably support MicroSHD cards won't it? That would be pretty damn useful for homebrew. The biggest problem really though is that the missing GBA slot means you can't use the "EZ Flash 3-in-1" cart. I really wish they would add a bit more ram in the DSi.

The DSi Sound program will only support AAC, those looking for MP3 support are out of luck... that sucks.

So far what we know:[hide=]DSi Specs Revealed

Battery life and more.

by John Tanaka

October 1, 2008 - Following up on our flash report earlier today, Nintendo Japan has opened up a full website for the DSi revision.

Of particular note at the site is a spec list. Here's how the new system compares to the current DS Lite.

Screen Size

DSi: 3.25 inch

DS Lite: 3.0 inch

Screen

Both TFT LCD with 260,000 colors

System Size

DSi: 137 x 74.9 x 18.9mm

DS Lite: 133 x 73.9 x 21.5mm

Touch pen

DSi: 92mm length

DS Lite: 87.5mm length

Power source

DSi: DSi AC adapter and special battery pack

DS Lite: DS Lite AC adapter and special battery pack

Weight

DSi: 214g (battery pack and touch pen included)

DS Lite: 218g (battery pack, touch pen, GBA connector cover included)

Charge time

DSi: 2 hours 30 minutes

DS Lite: 3 hours

Battery life

** listed by screen brightness, lowest to highest

DSi: 9-14 hours, 8-12, 6-9, 4-6, 3-4

DS Lite: 15-19 hours, 10-15, 7-11, 5-8

Compatible software

DSi: DS software, DSi software

DS Lite: Game Boy Advance software, DS software

Input method

DSi: DS card slot, SD memory card slot, AC adapter connector, stereo head phone/mic connector

DSLite: DS card slot, GBA card slot, AC adapter connector, stereo head phone/mic connector

The spec page also confirms something that we speculated in our original article -- the DSi will not be able to accept peripherals that attach to the Game Boy Advance slot.

In addition to housing a bunch of pics of the new hardware, the special site Nintendo set up offers a few extra details that were missing from our original report.

As reported earlier, the DSi will ship to Japan in white and black varieties on November 1. It will carry a 18,900 yen price point, making it 900 yen less than the PSP (both the current model and the 3000 series revision) and 2,100 yen above the current DS Lite.

The 18,900 yen will get you the DSi system, an AC adapter, two touch pens (extra length, as you can see in the spec sheet), a "simple start guide" of some form, an instruction manual, and a support book. That's right, three booklets!

In addition to the physical changes, Nintendo has updated the system's interface menu to reflect some newly included software. You'll initially be able to access the following programs from the main menu: DSi Camera, DSi Sound, DSi Shop, Picto Chat, and download play. The menu also has icons for starting up a game off cartridge and accessing system settings.

The DSi's menu is akin to the Wii Channel interface in that new programs can be downloaded and added to the interface. It's unclear how many programs can be downloaded, but the interface does provide an "all view" button allowing you to view all included software at a glance.

Select DSi Camera from the menu, and you'll quickly transform your system into a digital camera. Pics that you've taken can be transferred via SD card to your PC and cell phone. You can also send snaps between two DSi systems wirelessly.

In typical Nintendo fashion, the camera will include some game elements. Among the fun features are a facial blending tool, a method for changing facial expressions, and a means of measuring similarity between two faces. The camera itself can be set to take pics in a variety of modes, including normal mode, "trick" mode, and frame mode.

Select the DSi Sound option from the menu, and you'll have yourself a mini music player, complete with a variety of visualizers and audio tools. The system can remove vocals, allowing you to sing along for yourself. Nintendo also appears to have included a built in Band Bros. of sorts, as you can tap buttons along with the rhythm in order to overlay sounds. You can also record 10 second audio samples through the system's microphone for use in your music sessions.

Unfortunately, those looking for MP3 support here are out of luck. The DSi Sound program will only support AAC format.

Finally, there's the DSi Shop, a program that serves as the DS version of the Wii Shopping Channel. You'll be able to download free and paid programs from this under the "Nintendo DSiWare" label. Two free programs have been mentioned by Nintendo, an internet browser and a digital notebook that lets you create moving comics.[/hide]

http://ds.ign.com/articles/915/915510p1.html

rickastleywh7.png

The DSi Sound program will only support AAC, those looking for MP3 support are out of luck... that sucks.

:| That sucks. It's still going to be better to buy home brew instead after all... :?

ojdv.jpg

I knew they would ditch the GBA slot, i dont know anyone who uses it

I play the old pokemon games on it and of course....Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. :thumbsup:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!