Let's Talk About Player-Mods

Elphinstone

There are a lot of people, who, in general, either think that P-mods are gods, or absolutely hate their guts. I think the correct response is somewhere in between. There are a lot of threads pointing out the deficiences in P-Mods, but we must not kill these people each time they point these things out, as it is human nature to criticize people in power, but sometimes these people go too far. We must realize that P-Mods are people that have been awarded extra powers for being good members of the community, and should be treated just like you would treat any other player. (Unless you are some lowlife that swears at everyone.)

I'm not saying all P-Mods are nice and responsible people, some aren't, and abuse their powers horribly. Jagex Customer Support are also people, so don't forget that they have to sleep. The issue should be dealt with, and, the least you can do i speak out against the Mod in public if you believe they have been doing something wrong. You can also appeal mutes and have something to show for it.

Now, there is the opposite to that... The people who think P-Mods are stuck up pigs who always abuse their power. Those people are probably the worst kind of people, as they take every chance to yell: "The Player mod is a n00b!!! He's lying to us!!11". I saw that exact thing happen during the first TET event. Everyone blamed the mod for not knowing where Zidanect was, and at worst, doing it on purpose to mess us all up. In fact, the Mod was telling the truth, but only the people who teleported got there intime before Zidanect moved on.

In short, i believe that while there are a few bad P-Mods, most are just like you and me, people that have been playing for a while, got used to the game, and are now expected to help moderate it. It can be a big task. I, while not exactly happy about a lot of things that some Mods do, believe that Mods do not need and increase or decrease in power, nor do they need slander or heralding as gods.

They need Respect.

~ Elphinstone

vivi.jpg

Which FF Character Are You?

"The only tyrant i accept in this world is the still voice within." - Mahatma Gandhi

newscapere4.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i help them out when they are a lower lvl then me and a thousand people question them. higher lvl p-mods i tend to talk with...only cause they think i'm funny for some reason

Yes, thats generally what i do, i don't think they find me funny though... :-$

Anyhow, i really don't think they need all the slander we sometimes throw at them.

vivi.jpg

"The only tyrant i accept in this world is the still voice within." - Mahatma Gandhi

newscapere4.gif

If I meet a Play Mod I'll treat him nicely.

If I meet a player I'll treat him nicely.

If I meet an idiot Play Mod, I'll treat him like crap.

If I meet an idiot I'll treat him like crap.

If I meet a good friend Player Mod, I'll treat him with respect.

If I meet a good freind I'll treat him with respect.

I treat Player-Mods the same as any other player, you should do the same. :wink:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I treat Player-Mods the same as any other player, you should do the same. :wink:

thats exactly how you should treat pmods. we are normal players, and certainly are not gods (even though alot of people seem to use "sir" when talking to me...). pmods are normal players, with a few extra powers to aid jagex in moderating the game. treat us as you would any other player (which i hope would be very well).

elphinstone, thankyou for a discussion that takes into account both sides of the pmod argument. this is the first pmod-related thread that ive seen that hasnt been aimed at beating the crap out of pmods.

Stallion4589.png

Yea, when there is more people around them, and they are acting like the p-mod is a j-mod or something, I just act as I normally do.

And when you get to know one, like kalphite, you pretty much forget

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

I think you guys pretty much got the idea. :D

This thread was directed at all the people who post saying that P-Mods should know better... Stop scamming people... etc.

Really, there are p-mods like that, but not all of them are like that. Take Stallion for instance ::'

As for the both sides of the argument... well, you get to look at all the bad stuff that player mods do, but does anyone ever post on the good things that P-Mods do? I have seen a mod quickly respond to people using racial epithets, and at the same time answering a level 13's questions. It takes a lot to do that, especially when i was that level 13.

vivi.jpg

newscapere4.gif

Okay...I agree.

Ummm...what is there to discuss? Everyone is just going to agree with you and say they treat pmods nicely etc. No one is actually going to come out and say they hate player mods or think they are gods. If they do, they'll get flamed until this thread gets locked.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

My brother is a p mod, but he doesn't abuse his "powers" acually, he ADDS random people who ask him questions and actually replys instead of saying "NO noob your dumb" or stuff like that. But I still dont like him very much :-$

Isn't that kinda being Stereotypical (Think i spelled it right) sure 90% of the time when a "Random" "Noob" adds you, you will tend to reject them immidiatly and some times call them a noob. but trust me when your a high level and it happens 99% of the time you are on rs it gets annoying and it becomes hard to resist..

----Retired Runescape Player 1/13/07-----

P mods are so annoying. Some act like "Oh yes, I must follow ze jagex rules. " Their humor sucks, also.

Ok, that was a stereotypical statement...

Did you bother to read the thread? I'll summarize some parts you should read:

Now, there is the opposite to that... The people who think P-Mods are stuck up pigs who always abuse their power. Those people are probably the worst kind of people, as they take every chance to yell: "The Player mod is a n00b!!!

In short, i believe that while there are a few bad P-Mods, most are just like you and me, people that have been playing for a while, got used to the game, and are now expected to help moderate it. It can be a big task. I, while not exactly happy about a lot of things that some Mods do, believe that Mods do not need and increase or decrease in power, nor do they need slander or heralding as gods.

They need Respect.

And like Nick said:

I treat Player-Mods the same as any other player, you should do the same.

P-mods are regular people, just with the little crown by the side. Some P-mods do bad stuff- but just like in a government- there are a few corrupt people that exploit their powers *cough* india's government *cough*.

Most P-mods are great and really nice. You should take back that statement- not all p-mods are that way.

Okay...I agree.

Ummm...what is there to discuss? Everyone is just going to agree with you and say they treat pmods nicely etc. No one is actually going to come out and say they hate player mods or think they are gods. If they do, they'll get flamed until this thread gets locked.

Well, not much i can say, because that is actually true. This was more of a protest in the first place to say: Wake up, see what is really going on. No matter what you think these people did, they are just players. Sometimes they are abusive and horrible players, but you have to live with that.

And my thread did NOT say that P-Mods are nice people (Which i'm fairly sure that most of them are) But that they deserve respect unless they do something to lose that from people.

They should be able to be like other players, not have this cover of a godlike presence or an evil aura.

I too started by treating P-Mods like that when i started playing. Then i realized... HEY! i would never automatically treat someone like that in real life, so why should i treat them like that in a game. I automatically defer to a Mods decision in most matters, because i don't bother to argue with them, but when something rubs me the wrong way, then there is no way i'm going to take orders from anyone, except maybe a Jagex mod.

And if anyone has complaints, then by all means, say them. I don't mind having people voice critiscism on mods, after all, it's their opinion, and it's a generally free world folks!

~Elphinstone

EDIT: Thanks Gryphon. You pretty much just summed up my post in two quotes. Also, I don't mind the comment about the humour sucking, because sometimes that is true. (I said SOMETIMES!)

vivi.jpg

newscapere4.gif

I don't understand what people have against p-mods.. Any time I'm mining, i always answer people's questions, even if it is like "how do I get my ax fixed." If p-mods act like that too, they should get reverance, not animosity.. (sorry if that made no sense.. it's what i do). And no p-mod is mean to me.. whenever i merchant on hide and see a p-mod, i politely ask "wanna buy" and they politely decline, not say "n00bz0rz!! you ar3 t3h bre4k rules j4g3x!!!!"

ahh... the good old days, when 30 attack got you on the high-scores.......

An orthodox Jew and proud of it!

thankyou for the compliment elphinstone.

Okay...I agree.

why do you say that? there have been many, many threads bashing pmods. numerous ones in the rants forum, and there is another in this very forum. getting more posts than this thread. go figure...

Stallion4589.png

Anytime Stallion :XD:

Anyway, if i were offered a position as a Player Moderator, I would probably accept it, just because I would feel so pumped up to be chosen to be one. But anyway, when I look over it for a bit, i realize how much the P-Mods have to go through and go hmm... is that worth it?

To me it would be. Getting respect, especially in a game like RS, is hard enough already. If i can prove that i'm a good P-Mod, then i would be able to have that respect!

Then i look once more and go... wait a sec... i'm relying on a position to get authority! That won't do, and i go back to my old mining and question answering ways. It's how life is. Once the novelty wears off, you have to deal with the problems. It seems to me that being a Mod may actually be harder than it looks, unless, of course, you abuse your power. But that's another dimension entirely.

~Elphinstone

vivi.jpg

newscapere4.gif

Whenever I see a P-mod I just let him/her be, thinking he/she has (had) enough attention directed at him/her already. Same goes for 'famous' players.

I feel sorry sometimes for a P-mod I know on the world I play. He's in a bank for instance, minding his business. The second he says hi back to me, he gets bombarded with questions about his mod-status, questions about the game, scammers/jerks.

I've talked to him about it, if he minds that. He says he doesn't, but still I feel guilty of making him draw that much attention to himself.

DutchDreams.png

Naturally, you want to become a moderator because you are decieved into thinking they have more.

THEY HAVE A CROWN WITH THEIR NAME, we have a name too. THEY HAVE 48 HOUR MUTE, we have an ignore list too. THEY HAVE PRIORITY REPORT, we can report abuse or send in queries (and the important thing is that they will eventually see your report) too. THEY HAVE FORUMS, we have tip.it too.

As you can see, people that are moderators do not have this great power.

I'd post some things to prove it, but it's confidential :-w, and no, I am not a moderator.

skirtsigog1.jpg

Common sense isn't common.

drugtestlokisv5.png

Naturally, you want to become a moderator because you are decieved into thinking they have more.

THEY HAVE A CROWN WITH THEIR NAME, we have a name too. THEY HAVE 48 HOUR MUTE, we have an ignore list too. THEY HAVE PRIORITY REPORT, we can report abuse or send in queries (and the important thing is that they will eventually see your report) too. THEY HAVE FORUMS, we have tip.it too.

As you can see, people that are moderators do not have this great power.

I'd post some things to prove it, but it's confidential :-w, and no, I am not a moderator.

Well, I have to question whether you read the whole post, because I certainly did not say that I wanted to become a Player Moderator. (It would be nice, but i didn't actually say it.) And yes, back to the same old debate about whether P-Mods need more powers. They essentially have 'enhanced gameplay' as you might call it. They are really players chosen to have to moderate a game, and when people think that they abuse there powers...

Well, i suppose that they can say what you just said.

~Elphinstone

vivi.jpg

newscapere4.gif