16 January 2008 - Summoning balancing

kemikalkadet

16 January 2008 - Summoning balancing Next

We've noticed that a few players are worried that the summoning skill costs a lot of gp to level. However after carefully double-checking the figures, we really don't believe this is the case!

A lot of people are looking at the skill and calculating how many shards they are going to need to level it up, multiplying that by the cost per shard, and coming to the conclusion that it's going to be very expensive.

However the key point that is easy to miss is the fact that the completed pouches themselves are extremely powerful. They aren't just junk to throw away! In fact, you can make at least as much money from using the completed pouch as it costs to make in the first place. For example, if you summon a creature to fight alongside you, the increased rate at which you can collect monster drops as a result balances out against the initial cost of the pouch. Or if you summon a creature to carry items for you, the increased rate at which you can runecraft, or collect items gives you back as much money as the pouch cost. These are just two examples of the countless ways the summoning skill can help you make money more effectively. We had to make the cost high, because the rewards are so high!

At the moment all our calculations show that if you use the pouches effectively, (with the possible exception of the very early pouches), you can make back the cost of the pouch by the increased productivity it gives. Therefore the actual net cost of levelling this skill works out at zero! ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s significantly cheaper than, say, construction.

That's pretty good anyway, but we've decided we want to make this a really rewarding skill, and it's time we had another good money making skill in the game. Therefore later this week we are planning on halving the cost of shards. After this the amount you can make from using a pouch will be far more than it costs to make, and you will be able to make a tidy profit. In fact we calculate this will then make summoning one of the best ways of making money in the game, but only if you actually use the pouches! Finally, to make sure that reducing the cost of shards isn't unfair on early levelling, we will make sure that people who have already purchased shards will automatically either get some gold back, or receive extra shards so they have effectively paid the new price.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg, this makes me sooo happy. I love summoning all over again.

-Reck

ps. WHEEE!

Recksash.png

Politics,n. Strife of interests masquerading as a conflict of principles. -Ambrose Bierce

Barrow drops:

Verac's Helm

:P

Beat you by about 2 seconds XD

And about right about...NOW.

I think I made your thread be the one that wont be locked :wink:

Was quite close though muggi, definately second place where you :XD: (still better then all those who will post now and for the next few hours.) :lol:

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

This is great! :D

Now the only problem left is the time it takes to get the charms, but I guess it might have been meant to be like that. Let's hope they increase the drop rate, otherwise we still need 600K charms for 99 :ohnoes:

Edit: I mean, we still need to kill 600K+ monsters to get 600K charms :P

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Yay, which Is why I was finishing 99 slayer, so I could have some charms stocked up as well.

<_< good thing I haven't been able to play so I haven't bought any shards yet.

Not that it will really matter, becuase jagex is appealing to all the whiners that there would have been, and they are giving everyone their gold back or buying more shards for them.

JUst wonder which they will usually do or whatever. I mean how do they know if the people want more shards to level, or if they are done with this skill due to its level of difficulty?

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

Finally, to make sure that reducing the cost of shards isn't unfair on early levelling, we will make sure that people who have already purchased shards will automatically either get some gold back, or receive extra shards so they have effectively paid the new price.

I think that bit's interesting. Hopefully it'll work ok.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

But we'll get money back or shards :D

Finally, to make sure that reducing the cost of shards isn't unfair on early levelling, we will make sure that people who have already purchased shards will automatically either get some gold back, or receive extra shards so they have effectively paid the new price.

Private Chat always on!

deletenoobsev1.png

sirkidey.png

I think the fact that Jagex have needed to clarify the whole concept of Summoning shows that Wolf Whistle & the Knowledge Base failed to achieve their goals.

I'm really interested in knowing how this will actually be done. Does anyone know if Jagex have ever done something like this before?

I reckon anyone who has bought shards before this price update will be able to go to any of the Summoning Shops and the NPC will then ask you which option you'd like, but I guess we'll just have to wait to see how it's done. :P

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

I think the fact that Jagex have needed to clarify the whole concept of Summoning shows that Wolf Whistle & the Knowledge Base failed to achieve their goals.

Erm, clarify how, exactly? The whole 'make loads of pouches' idea was a player made myth. Nobody can accurately predict thought processes for people they don't know much about.

It's nice that they decided to make this even more profitable, so be happy!

~ W ~

sigzi.png

30 seconds after I loaded the first Summoning KB page for the first time I said to myself, "hoo boy, they are going to have a LOT of confused kiddies with this."

BTW, if the pouches are so valuable, why did some idiot assign them giveaway prices on the GE?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

This is great! :D

Now the only problem left is the time it takes to get the charms, but I guess it might have been meant to be like that. Let's hope they increase the drop rate, otherwise we still need 600K charms for 99 :ohnoes:

Edit: I mean, we still need to kill 600K+ monsters to get 600K charms :P

600k Charm is enough to get over 55M xp :-s

Stephleref.png

Yay, which Is why I was finishing 99 slayer, so I could have some charms stocked up as well.

Not that it will really matter, becuase jagex is appealing to all the whiners that there would have been, and they are giving everyone their gold back or buying more shards for them.

JUst wonder which they will usually do or whatever. I mean how do they know if the people want more shards to level, or if they are done with this skill due to its level of difficulty?

Yeah, honestly didn't really read it because I don't know much about summoning anyways :oops: . That's good.

icecube7.jpeg