The Doomsday Massacre

Hobgoblin11

The 6th Day of the 6th Month of the 6th year of the new millennium. 06/06/06. The day of the devil. Apocolypse Now. The day that Heaven rains fire, and Lucifer reigns supreme. And rain fire, it most certainly did.

They say Good and Bad always come together âââ‰â¬Å Yin and Yang. Well, this was definitely the case on Tuesday. After the long awaited update of Player-Owned Houses, the race was on to be the first to reach Level 99. It was a close run competition, with several names in the running âââ‰â¬Å Xn00bxfrei, Monkey Moejo, and our very own Cursed You. Well, after surely spending millions, Cursed You won the race, and threw the customary party! The party was grand, the place was packed, and spirits were high. Untilâââ¬Ã¦

At some point, Cursed You ejected everybody from his house. Due to a previously undiscovered bug, a small group of people found themselves with the ability to attack any player, without retaliation, outside of the wilderness. This has not been seen since RSC, and for most was certainly an unwelcome flashback. The devil living amongst us surfaced, and released the modern apocalypse.

Durial321 unleashed hell on earth, when he, along with a handful of others, attacked and killed scores of people. In the beginning, these brutal killings lost people items worth millions âââ‰â¬Å Party hats, Santa hats, expensive armour and other objects. Fortunately, as people began to realise what was going on, they began to bank their items, and get themselves killed for fun, however, the damage was already done. Millions were lost to Durial321 and his co-murderers, millions, which those people cannot get back.

Rampaging through Falador for almost an hour, chaos reigned, with people being massacred left, right and centre. The scene was one of utter madness, people were crying out to be killed, others were unaware of what was going on, P-Mods were doing their best to restore order and to warn people to leave and place items into their banks. Peace was finally brought about when Mod Murdoch entered the ring, and proceeded to kick Durial321 and certain others from the game, locking their accounts.

Some are praising Durial321 as a legend, saying that this day will go down in Runescape history. While there is no doubt that this Doomsday Massacre will be remembered, in the same league as the Great Party Hat Dupe, to label a player a âââ¬ÃÅLegendâââ‰â¢ for discovering and abusing a bug, is in my opinion, worshipping false idols. They are nowhere near as worthy of âââ¬ÃÅLegend Statusâââ‰â¢ as players such as Lilyuffie88, The Old Nite (R.I.P.), N0valyfe, or the unforgettable, Zezima. Such players have cemented their place in Runescape history by working their way to the top, not by discovering a bug by chance, and then slaughtering masses of innocent people.

The only true heroes in this story are the P-Mods, who tried their hardest to do the decent thing, and to stop the mayhem. Unfortunately for many, it was too late. Was this tragedy the result of a rushed release? Probably not. Considering how long POHâââ‰â¢s have been anticipated for, Jagex will certainly have done everything they can to make them as bug-free as possible. However, with the number of graphics glitches that exist in the houses and in the Construction skill, it is a possibility that the houses were not thoroughly tested before release.

What I know for sure though, is that the day of the devil will most definitely be a defining moment in Runescape History, and a flashback to the past from the Runescapeâââ‰â¢s roots, The Doomsday Massacre.

Hope this is the correct forum, please move it if not

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good read, all tho i can see the fun in killing people, what is the point when you definatly know that your account is gona be perm locked and no chance of getting it back?

alltho the video a couple of threads up or down looks mad and wicked

Please click below to help with my ICT A Level, for which I have to monitor my website for 8 weeks, hits and feedback welcome.

http://www.chauncystweb.co.uk/sm

Feedback page now up and working.

runescape is a game not ur life so the devil have nothing to do with runescape =)

I realise this, however that bit would fall under the category 'Creative writing' :wink:

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

very very much ppl thinks that Durial321 is The Chosen One

i think he'll be legend.. The Doomsday Massacre on 6 âââ¬Ã  6 âââ¬Ã  6 by him.

Also the vid what was came out was great with that song

(NightWish - Planet Hell)

I'll remember this day.

Well that certainly helped the value of rares go up yay :roll:. I hope JagEx do something to compensate those who lost all their valuables, although it is probably impossible.

-Bloodangel

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Lol, thanks

Yes, it will have a slight effect on the rares market, however, this effect will be more due to the hype surrounding this event than the actualy physical economic repercussions. The number of rares lost due to this is very substantial to the players that it directly affects, i.e. those who lost a rare, but in the grand scheme of things, it will not put much of a dent in the prices.

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

he pked pixels... pixels that people would sell on ebay for high amount of cash. Pixel that won't save your life in real life. Pixels that are made from drawing and technology. Bugs aren't only found in Rs, they're found in websites, programs etc...

i bet if party hats, santas weren't high value... people wouldn't have cared...

Now what happen yesterday, will go down in Rs history. But Durial321, he'l only be a "Legend" to noobs that sided with him. For others, they wouldn't care. Btw, Nova4lyfe...i dun see him as a legend. He wasn't born in RsC like zezima, The Old Nite, Lilyuffie88, gearshifter, S A X etc... He's #1 right now, that doesn't matter. Sooner or later, he'll become #2 when zezima maxes out because he's got higher overall xp. Zezima probably is a "Legend" seeing how he was #1 for over a year.

It was all just a dumb bug because of the new skill. Theres always a bug in every new skill or item or even when you're pking or training.

I agree that it's a fairly well-written story, but the point of the thread continues to elude me. Do you wish for a discussion to take place about it, or merely to inform people?

Pertaining to the contents: this seems to becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy rather quickly. It isn't nearly as "legendary" as the p hat dupe back in RSC in fall 2003, but it's getting hoaxed up just because everyone is saying it is :roll: . I doubt most people who are claiming something like that were even around when the p hat duping occured...

~Mardvk

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

I love how you go on about pretty much nothing, as well :?

It's a gift :)

To anyone who has, or is intending on posting something to the effect of 'OMG dude, like, it aint in real life' - don't bother. I know it isn't in real life, and believe it or not, I can determine the difference between reality and online gaming. As I said above, it is creative writing, based on fact.

And Om_S, I don't have a clue what relevance your first paragraph has to my article.

Thanks for the other compliments

EDIT:

I agree that it's a fairly well-written story, but the point of the thread continues to elude me. Do you wish for a discussion to take place about it, or merely to inform people?

Pertaining to the contents: this seems to becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy rather quickly. It isn't nearly as legendary as the "grand" p hat dupe back in RSC in fall 2003, but it's getting hoaxed up just because everyone is saying it is :roll: . I doubt most people who are claiming something like that were even around when the p hat duping occured...

~Mardvk

As explained above, the purpose of this post is an entertaining read, and to give my take on todays events. While I agree that the effects of this will be nowhere near the effects of the P hat dupe, which are still being felt today, however, because of the size of this glitch, it will be remembered. Also, it is assosciated with one of the biggest and most anticipated updates RS2 has seen, making it particularly memorable.

And no, I wasn't around for the P hat dupe, I missed it by about 6 months. However, there is enough material around to read, and get a pretty good idea what happened.

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

Hmm, loved the story :P

But, from what I've heared, only 1 green party hat and 1 santa hat got 'stolen'. Offcourse, with the prices of rares these days, that only isn't so only for the owners...

It was 06/06/2006 here, and I found it funny that this masacre happened on this day, it's just so ironic really, that it happened on 'Devils Day' :lol:

Nice read, and yet another story that we can remember to proof how oldskool we will be in 3 years :P

Due to a previously undiscovered bug, a small group of people found themselves with the ability to attack any player, without retaliation, outside of the wilderness. This has not been seen since RSC, and for most was certainly an unwelcome flashback.

Don't forget the bug that allowed players to attack others with magic when the abyss came out. I remember some people died and lost full dragon because of that.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

wow yeah i just read this in my runescape group for myspace. there is another link for you to watch the grotest pixelated version of it. im to lazy to get it.

mad props to the p-mods that tryed to help

*rip* all lost items...im pretty sure this has nothing to do with 6-6-06 i think thats dumb.

rarest tradble item in game is bds - a super poisoned bronze dagger. i have never seen one. ever.