Tip.It Times Presents: Growing Pains

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Growing Pains

The_Editor

Starting a company is a whole lot of fun. It's also a whole lot of hard work. There usually aren't many people involved though, so it's easy to make decisions. You don't have all that many customers, so it's easy to provide good personalised customer service. Running a large company isn't all that difficult either ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ although there are a lot of important decisions to make, large companies have policies that take a lot of the work out...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy... All I ever hear is, "Jagex is going under!", "Runescape is becoming a toddler's game!", or "You're a noob!" Well to be honest, the noob comment is irrelevant to this, so I guess I have no right to complain. As for the fall of RS, I doubt (or at least seriously hope) it's not going to happen. I've been playing over 2 years, starting out sneaking around in libraries. I have about 10 membership receipts in my e-mail and I'm currently taking a break from p2p in order to focus more on reality. (Working great, huh? :roll:) Over the years, I've seen just as many annoying noobs each time I logged on. Maybe it was just bad timing, but I've only noticed a few things that have an immature tilt to them. The main one that comes to mind is, "BAR-REL-CHEST AN-CHOR." Aside from a few completely idiotic updates such as these, it seems we're on a pretty gradual tilt, and I'll be out of college by the time this hits the level of Club Penguin. *Checks memory... remembers the Parent's Guide...* Forget everything I just said! We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :ohnoes:

mr_moron72.png

Look at my evidence of geekdom... MWAHAHAHA!

yada yada yada. Business mumbo jumbo. Maybe next week you should make an article about how quest storylines aren't being finished. *cough* Fairy Tale Part 1 GROWING PAINS *cough*. That article didn't make much sense, except the younger targetting part.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

Yeah, it went over my head. I'm not a child but I know nothing about business.

Then don't post that garbage like you did a few posts up. I don't understand much of business either, but this article was well written and easy to understand, and it makes a darn good point. It explains the current situation quite well and it gave me some new insights about Jagex and the corporation that they are.

An article of outstanding quality.

I understood the article and it really did make me think more. You ARE right that Andrew and Paul could just get up and leave to start a new game. It had never crossed my mind before and know that I think about it, I wouldn't be suprised either :o . However, you can't really blame Andrew for the company going down hill. Just Andrew and maybe a few friends probably started the game up for fun; do you think it ever crossed Andrews mind that it would become a huge multi-million dollar game :ohnoes: ?! So I'm just assuming they were rushed into running a huge company without ever having experience or intending to in the first place. And feel free to reply to this if I'm wrong on anything because I'm really interested in this article . Well done.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

I understood the article and it really did make me think more. You ARE right that Andrew and Paul could just get up and leave to start a new game. It had never crossed my mind before and know that I think about it, I wouldn't be suprised either . However, you can't really blame Andrew for the company going down hill. Just Andrew and maybe a few friends probably started the game up for fun; do you think it ever crossed Andrews mind that it would become a huge multi-million dollar game ?! So I'm just assuming they were rushed into running a huge company without ever having experience or intending to in the first place. And feel free to reply to this if I'm wrong on anything because I'm really interested in this article . Well done.

true, there probaly going to end up selling runescape, its just a matter of time before jagex hits the level of club pinguin, as LordoftheSquishies said. i'm seriously thinking about quitting, because of the lame updates, and jagex being aimed at younger players, FROM MINICLIP thats the reason, miniclip advertises about runescape, attracting all the little kids who play club pinguin.

like LordoftheSquishies said:

We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

While a 15 or 16 year old might still be playing the game at 18 when they can get their first credit card and pay for the game themselves

That's me.. lol.

Really good article! Probably the best i've seen EVER! Enjoyable and factual and we can all relate to it because well.. we've seen these changes ourselves.

Nice work!

Jaskkes.png

Good article, and to everyone saying the 12 and 13 year olds dont stay, i started at 12 and im still here at 14, and i have no intention of leaving. And to the people who dont get this, how dont you get this article?

Again, kudos to sir/miss editor on a great article this week. =D>

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

awesome possum=)much bter than last weeks :mrgreen: well....its kinda sad that what you said is true..however as a 14year old i do feel a tad bit insulted :roll: yes,we can be inmature...but we can find ways to pay..i pay with a gift card i give myself =) lolz....well i sure hope jagex can find a way to balance the target audience age...between 13 and 20 would be nice....not that i want to leave any1 outside those ranges out...just saying it should focus on every1s interest

Will get a new Siggy, if I get around to it[/size]

I greatly enjoyed reading this topic. It may be something to do with the fact that my major is going to be business and that I love learning about management, but that's besides the point.

I feel your correct, Andrew and Paul will eventually leave Jagex, for all we know, they already did. What I beleive will happen when Andrew leaves is he won't announce it, and someone will still post for him as "Andrew". Doing this will not cause a panic, but eventually, the news will get out.

I also beleive that Andrew and Paul have the right mind-set for how runescape should be. All of Jagex's recent decisions have been more about the company, rather the gamer. Sure, they've made decisions in the past that help bennefit in money making, and maybe not so much gamers(miniclip), but not as major as recent decisions.

I beleive that once Andrew and Paul leave, they will in-fact start a new project...maybe not a game, but some sort of project. But when the Gowers do leave, I beleive the game will eventually fall. The corporation's have Business Majors...they know how to run a business...and also this is fine for classical business's such as Stores and Bars, this is quite a different case.

A year of updates will go by, with nothing appealing to the gamer. Customer support will be people who do not understand the game, and have very basic knowledge of the game. People will realize that the game was no longer fun, many will quit, and the business will bust.

Now, this is not the hope for any business, and not all business's have to take this route, but this is the route that I beleive is in the future for Jagex.

w4M8t.png

Very nice...however, I think that Andrew has become rather happy with it in most respects. After all, he even said himself that he's "just a programmer" who still enjoys working semi-behind the scenes on the game code itself.

Oh yeah, and that plateau you were talking about seems to have been about 200,000 players. I remember when runescape was constantly adding new servers... it went from 10,000 and grew very quickly to its current number! Obviously it's more stable now.

Nice points though. I would really like Jagex's feedback on that article. :)

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

The did you know... We've used it before. :?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Hi, kinda just joined, but this article was one of the main reasons. I think the editor hit it about spot on. In the last 3 years or so it seems that runescape has changed more from a bit more serious, mature MMO to a game more geared at a younger audience. Personally i don't mind, as long as the main skills don't change much. I haven't really cared for any skill released past slayer and doubt i will train them for more then levels.

Anyways, the main problem i see happening is that they take it too far in any direction. If they push for more of a younger audience then they will lose a lot of the old members and more mature audience that are going to be consistent members, but if they try for a more serious type of game and focus on the older players they will lose there new player base.

They only thing i disagree with on the editor is that new players in the 12-14 age range will move on. While this is true for a good amount of younger players, i know a lot of people like that in my age range (17-18) that quit or just play free now, and honestly i know that the game has gotten labeled as more of a kids game or childish because of the new bright graphics and the less serious quests.

Its really up to Jagex where the game heads from here, but they are in danger of upsetting a very fine balance that keeps new players joining and old players staying.

dudy80sigy.jpg

Thanks for the sig Rose!

My blog to 99 slayer: Here