Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Tip.It Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

fastortoise

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fastortoise

  1. I'm not posting this as as angry Canadian - I'm just stating my personal experience with our health care system (which, apparently, has too much delays) 1- I broke my arm in the 8th grade. I was rushed to the hospital, but had to wait 20 minutes until someone actually cared for me. If I was a complete jerk-off like so many Canadians, I'd go on a campaign for better health care - yet I got exceptional service by 2 expert doctors and it cost my family nothing. 2- My mom, an athlete for most of her life, needed both hips replaced. It was for a better lifestyle, not even life threatening. She saw a specialist within a month and had her operation 6 months later, also free. 3- My uncle, with a special immune-system attacking cancer, was treated by specialized Canadian doctors. It took awhile, he almost died, but he's healthy now and now in dept of several hundreds of thousands of dollars. The only people who whine about the Canadian health system are those that are too impatient to wait in a waiting room for over half an hour. That's what really picks my nerve, close to being violent. Those types of people claim they have lost their rights, wasting their time waiting for a doctor that will treat them for free. This add really pissed me off, not because I'm Canadian but because they're feeding the public wrong information in order to gain their own personal benefit.
  2. fastortoise replied to Leoo's topic in Off-Topic
    Played a drinking version of Monopoly last night until 3AM and completely moved every single (heavy as hell) item from a warehouse to a deposit housing since the owners (my friends' family) are moving. This was at 7AM to 4PM the very same morning - when I got there I had 2 hours sleep and was still a little drunk from the Monopoly. I was put in charge of lifting things that honestly required 2 people to lift properly. For 9 hours. When I came home my forearms were black from dust (hands clean thanks to gloves) and smelled like a wet dog. Took a cold shower, quick nap, now I'm just browsing the intertubes before I go out and do it all again :
  3. Cut your hair super short (shaved but with no visible skin) but keep your emo fringe, so the only long hair you'll have will be in front of your face. Then, with a handsome amount of gel, slick it back. :thumbsup: Take pics, which we then judge if it looks cool or not. If it doesn't just cut off the fringe and you'll still have a really nice cut.
  4. Ugh, tables :shame: Learn to code in divs, man.
  5. ...racism. You can't just judge an entire skin colour based on what others (mostly of higher power) of that same skin colour does. Just because the President invaded Irak, doesn't mean all Americans agreed with him or even had the same morals as him. Not all Native Americans have casinos and not all white people readily steal land. If you start classifying people based on skin colour, you come up with prejudice and excuses to enforce things like slavery. If those individuals who had slaves didn't have prejudices towards black people, slavery would never had happened. Yes, I wanted to show how annoying and unfair it sounds to those of the same skin colour. Once you completely understand and empathize with someone you hate, it's easy to be indifferent towards them. That's my strategy for not going insane with some people I'm forced to live around.
  6. Thanks again for the motivating comments. I am aware I don't currently have near enough band names to complete this, but I should have told you guys that these are all either my or my friends' personal favourites. I promised them printed copies of the poster for those who contributed, which is how I got all these names. Once this barrel runs dry, I'm planning on consulting an online band name database. I do appreciate the offers for giving me some extra names, but sadly there's no way for me to repay anybody on these forums. Also, getting the names is not the hard part - it's sorting them alphabetically with all the ones I already have that gives me a headache. As for the request to print my sample - sure. I uploaded it with a paranoid mind which is why the quality is sketchy. I did so because even though most of the fonts are from 1001 free fonts, some artists want credit and permission ect ect which is why I won't be selling this for profit - just giving away copies to my friends. If I find somebody on the Internet printing it and making profit, I can get in some serious copyright problems.
  7. I think teenagers shouldn't get tattoos because they usually have poor taste. Some of the ink my friends have permanently infected themselves with looks terrible, and the ones they placed on exposed skin are a real eyesore. For example of bad ideas, I've wanted to tattoo a squished spider on the sole of my foot for the LONGEST time. I still think it's an awesome idea, but I can see myself regretting it since I would probably need to walk in crutches for a few weeks and it would definitely get infected easily. WTF is this :wall: I think what Adrenal meant was that you can look cool without permanently damaging your body. Example, you can buy a new sporty hat or jacket to make yourself look cooler, the same way you can buy condoms and stay healthy while still getting some action.
  8. The second you separate two groups based on their skin colour and start bashing one of them, it's considered racism. If I learned anything from going to a "ghetto" multicultural highschool, it's that all the white people who have the same mentality as you end up having careers at the local McDonalds. If you can't put yourself in someone shoes even after 185 of headbashing and facepalming... #-o
  9. The only thing I haven't thrown out since my childhood are my Legos. I normally laugh at my friends' collections, and mention how many crates I have more than them, but this is the Internet so I'm sure I have at least one Lego rival in this forum. The only sentimental items I sorta collect are the pictures of my highschool friends with their goodbye letters to me at the back. I collect them in the sense that they have their own special shoebox that I keep well hidden
  10. -Are you using Photoshop for this? If yes, then change your text's anti-aliasing to None (it appears to be set on Sharp, which only looks good for bigger fonts). It's to the right of the font size drop-down at the top of the screen (the aa's drop-down box). That's my biggest issue (well, the only one really) with this design. -Other than that, you're on the right track by adding depth to the general layout. It's probably obvious, but now you need to add depth to your content box. The progress you've made is really great :thumbsup:
  11. For some reason, I'd like to die that way. I know for one that being cut wouldn't hurt thaaat much, and I'd have time to have final thoughts right being resting forever. The only downside, I wouldn't be able to say any final words. Strange, the more I think about it the more I want to die that way. Perhaps I've watched too many Gladiator-type movies :wall:
  12. You live in montreal? or were you just in montreal? The metro really isn't all that bad except for later on at night, that's when it's worth worrying. especially since late at night a lot of the thingies that the people go in are empty. I [bleep] love the metro. Yeah the metro itself is fine. I think there's only been 1 real attack in there and it got caught on tape or something. It's Parc de Maisonneuve that's rough, which was from where this dude was following me.
  13. -The couple of minutes before I went on stage in front of a ~500 people crowd, including my mom and brother, my friends and pretty much everybody I knew at the time. -Being followed by a giant with huge arms to a metro station in East Montreal. I honestly would not be surprised if I would have been beaten to hell/mugged since girls are raped there all the time and the occasional murders are never prevented. Luckily my timing was impeccable - as soon as he was swiping his card at the booth I heard the metro stop, ran as fast as I could to catch it and thankfully made it. I've had even scarier moments that happened to me when I was alone, but I never share them with anyone because they are also my most vulnerable moments in my life (and they aren't impressive or anything, so I wouldn't gain street cred).
  14. Photoshop isn't hard to learn at all. It took me a couple of days when I was fourteen to get used to (with the help of the intertubes). Don't miss out on such a powerful program just because it seems like a big leap from Paint Shop... anyone with basic computer knowledge can breeze through it. A tip: the pen tool is the most difficult but most rewarding tool to master. Get used to that and you'll be pro in no-time :D
  15. After unsuccessfully looking for it for a good 5 minutes, I've convinced their lawyers to just change the name to The Muse instead : I had a blonde moment when I read that. Can't believe I forgot metal face... :oops: Thanks for pointing that out dude I grew up on it. That first sample is just zoomed out badly.. the full res version is 85cmx65cm, and I think I can resize it around 3x the max res without losing too much quality =D> The only downside is it takes 5 full minutes to open and another 1-2 for ever save. Anyways, after a solid 3-4 hours of working on it, I barely completed half of the "u". I wasn't exaggerating when I said I went insane #-o
  16. I spent yesterday re-organizing my band name list file, it was worse than playing Runescape :( Here is the updated plan: The new poster will look like just with alternative colours (easily changeable). The updated band list is [hide=]# >311 36 Crazyfists 30 Seconds to Mars A >ACDC Aaliyah Aerosmith Against Me Akcent All American Rejects, The Amy Winehouse Anti-Flag A Tribe Called Quest >The Arcade Fire >Arctic Monkeys Armand Van Helden As I Lay Dying >At the Drive-In Ataris, The >Atmosphere Atreyu August Burns Red B Backstreet Boys Bad Brains Bad Religion Basshunter >The Beastie Boys >The Beatles >Beck >Beethoven Belinda Ben E. King Benny Benassi >Billy Talent Big L >Black Eyed Peas The Black Kids Black Sabbath Bleeding Through Blind Guardian >Blink 182 >Bloc Party Blood Brothers Blur >Bob Dylan >Bob Marley Bob Sinclair >Bone Thugs-N-Harmony Brand New Bring Me the Horizon >Broken Social Scene >Bravery >Built to Spill Busta Rhymes C Caesers, The Carl Henry >Cash, Johnny Cassidy >Cee-Lo Chemical Brothers Chriss Isaak >Chromeo >City and Colour >The Clash The Cool Kids Collie Buds >Coldplay Courteeners, The Cosmic Gate Crazy Town Creed >CSS Cult, The >Cunning Linguists >Cure, The >Curtis Mayfield >Cut Chemist >Cypress Hill D >Daft Punk >Danger Doom >Danger Mouse >The Darkness David Bowie David Guetta David Gilmour >De La Soul >Dead Kennedys Dears, The >Death cab for cutie >Death from above 1979 >The Decemberists Deep Dish Deep Purple Def Leppard >Deftones >Del Tha Funkee Homosapien >Deltron 3000 Devil Wears Prada, The >Dipset >Dirty Pretty Things Distillers, The DJ Khaled >DJ Q-Bert >DJ Shadow DMX Doors, The Dream Eater >The Dresden Dolls >Dropkick Murphys >Dr. Dre Dumas >Dungeon Family Duran Duran E >Eagles of Death Metal >Earth, Wind & Fire Easy-E Electric Light Orchestra >Elliott Smith >Elton John >Elvis Costello >Eminem Emma Shaplin En Vogue Enter Shikari Eric B & Rakim >Eric Clapton Eurythmics Everlast Everclear Extreme Explosions In the Sky F Faithless >The Faint >Fall Out Boy >Feist Felix DaHouseCat Fergie Fifth Hour Hero Fightstar >Flaming Lips Flatliners, The Foals, The Focus >Foo Fighters Foreigner Fort Minor Frames, The >Franz Ferdinand Fray, The >French Kicks >Fugazi G Garbage Genesis >Gnarls Barkley Gob Goo Goo Dolls >Gorillaz >Green Day >Guns N' Roses >Gym Class Heroes H Harmonium Hate Breed Hawthorne Heights >Hedley >Herbie Hancock Hives, The >Hot Hot Heat Horrordrops I >IAM Ice Cube Ill Scarlett >Immortal Technique >Incubus Infected Mushroom Iron Maiden J >Jack Johnson Jack's Mannequin James Blunt >Jay Z >Jedi Mind Tricks Jem Jet >Jimi Hendrix Jim Jones Job for a Cowboy >John Lennon John Mayer Journey Juanes >Jurassic 5 >Justice >Justin Timberlake K Kanye West Katy Perry Kate Nash Keane >Kid Koala >The Killers King Crimson >The Kinks Kiss Kooks, The >K-Os KT Tunstall L Lady Sovereign >Land of Talk >Le Tigre >Led Zeppelin Lexy & Paul Lil Wayne Lilly Allen >The Liberties >Linkin Park Llyod Lost Prophets Ludacris >Lupe Fiasco Lynyrd Skynyrd M Magnetic North Malajube >Maroon 5 >Mars Volta Massive Attack Megadeth Men At Work >Method Man >Metallica >Metric >Metro Station Mighty Mighty Bosstones Missey Elliot >MGMT >Michael Jackson >Miles Davis Mims Mindless Self Indulgence Miss Jane Missy Elliot Mobile >Moby Modest Mouse >Moneybrother >Morcheeba >Motion City Soundtrack >The Muse >My Chemical Romance N >NAS >NAtional, The >N.E.R.D. Nelly Nickleback Nightwish >Nirvana No Doubt >Notorious BIG O >Oasis Offspring, The >Of Montreal Orson >Our Lady Peace >Outkast P Pantera Papa Roach Papoose >Paul Simon Peaches Pennywise >Pharrell >Pink Floyd Pink Spiders, The Pitbull Planet Smashers Plan B Plies >The Police >Portishead Preistess Presidents of the United States of America Prodigy Protest The Hero >Public Enemy Puddle of Mudd [kitty]cat Dolls Q >Queen >Queens Of The Stone Age R >Radiohead >Rage Agaisnt The Machine >The Ramones Rammstein >Rancid >Red Hot Chili Peppers >Redman >Reel Big Fish Rick Ross Rihanna Rinocerose >Rise Against >RJD2 >The Roots >The Rolling Stones Roy Orbinson Royksopp >Ruff Ryders >Run DMC Rupee Rush S Say Anything >Scissor Sisters >Sex Pistols September >Shins, The >Silversun Pickups Simple Plan Simon and Garfunkel Slipknot >The Smashing Pumpkins >Snow Patrol >Snoop Dogg Spice Girls >Spoon >The Stooges Sonata Arctica Sounds, The Souls of Mischeif Staind Stars Steppenwolf Stills, The >Streets, The >Strokes, The Subb >Sublime Supertramp Supremes, the >Swollen Members >System of a Down T Taking Back Sunday >Talib Kweli Tego Calderon Terror Squad The Acadamy Is Three Days Grace Throwdown Timbaland Tiesto Three Six Mafia Toto Tool >Tupac Triumph Turtles, The T.I. U >U2 >The Used V Van Halen Verve, The W >Weezer >The White Stripes Who, The >Wolfmother >Wu-Tang Clan Wyclef Jean X >Xzibit YZ Yelle Youngbloods Yves Larock[/hide] In total there are 365 names, I'm not sure how many I used for the M (names with >suffix). I'm not working today and I'm only meeting with my friends in around 5 hours, so I'm going to go hardcore on this thing : Here's to hoping I won't kill myself in the process
  17. fastortoise replied to AndyPandy's topic in Off-Topic
    I just read Animal Farm, which was annotated by my dad in the 1960s. I'm fairly certain he was a communist :lol: Now i'm trying to find other Orson books in his library.
  18. I didn't understand why my house would make loud cracks at night. My brother led me to believe that houses shrink at night (well, they do), but that they shrunk into mini tiny houses that we could walk on. It wasn't until I stayed up late for Y2K and noticed my house didn't change size.
  19. fastortoise replied to Faux's topic in Off-Topic
    Ugh, this looks like a E&Turtle-oriented season... I much prefer when the spotlight is mostly on Vince and Drama
  20. Fill his backyard with hundreds of soccer balls so he won't notice the difference when you take yours back.
  21. fastortoise replied to Faux's topic in Off-Topic
    bump Season 6 tonight at 10:30 EST HBO! :thumbsup: I completely forgot to read The Great Gatsby for this season... oh well \
  22. This was fun. Can't wait to see what you come up with after reading all this garbage : [hide=] Forum Username: Fastortoise Age: 19 State (US only, do not give a city): NA Nation (do not give a city): Canada, QC Educational level: -If at a university/college, what level and what is your major/minor course of study? I'm one semester away from completing a Natural Science college course. I will be majoring in Biology at university in winter. 1. Have you ever attended a worship of any religion? -by choice? Yes -What kind of worship? Midnight Mass on X-mas eve mostly -Did you regularly attend this worship, by choice or parental guidance? Not since I was around 10, when my grandmother stopped visiting and forcing us to go. 2. Do you consider yourself religious? No -Please explain in two or three sentences. The most time I've spent in a church was 1 hour, and everything related to religion bores the death out of me. Whenever a family member wants to engage me in a religion talk I cringe, and I don't preach to any superior being. I made it clear to myself that I would detach myself from religion ever since I was little, since to me, it is just another way for controlling masses. 3. Is there a god, gods, or a supreme deity? No -Did said god, gods, or supreme being create the Universe, according to your belief? Even though physicists annoy me, I have come to terms with the Big Bang theory. 4. Is there an afterlife? No, just nothingness. 5. How do you believe that existence came about? (in a nutshell) Abiogenesis, RNA/DNA creating life by coding for proteins/cell members ect ect. We are essentially machines built by our genes that provide them with protection and continuous propagation and interaction with other genes (or gene machines) and the environment. 6. Have you ever attended a worship of any religion that you do not consider yourself a part of? -What? : Since I do not consider myself a Christian anymore, I guess church sorta counts. -Your thoughts on the experience : I always feel detached from worships. I don't feel anything other than complete awe over how much time and resources people waste on preaching a god. 7. What are your thoughts on non Judeo-Christian Western religions? Remember that religion is a broad term so please be specific. All religions are the same in my books, so I will answer questions 7-13 here. Although they have different beliefs, practices, ethic codes, lifestyles, ect., they are all fundamentally the same. As I said before, I decided not to get lost in the details that separate one religion from the other because, fundamentally, I think the idea is bogus. The fact that so many religions control how so many different cultures live is against my moral code - that of which every individual should have their own set of morals and ethic codes. 14. What are your thoughts on atheism, the belief that there is no supreme being(s)? Please remember that there are degrees to this belief, and that not all share the same thoughts. It's the proper way of thinking. I mean, you can't explain the complexity of life by believing in an even more complex deity that created it all. There may be different degrees in Atheism but to me, all that matters is not believing in a deity, whether or not you sympathize or 'understand' religion. Some are atheist but still associate themselves with certain religions because they can draw parallels with them - I'd rather completely dissociate myself with any belief of a deity. 15. What are your thoughts on agnosticism, the belief that a supreme being(s) exists, but the individual chooses not to worship it/them (or if one is unsure if a supreme being exists, but does not outright deny its existence)? Many people choose not to have an opinion about politics or economic standpoints, but even more people do not want to have an opinion about religion because it is considered sacred in our society - and that is a bit spineless. (unsure) agnostics are just atheists that do not want to offend faithfuls. Agnostics that believe in a higher being but do not worship them just need a little education on the matter. 16. Have you ever publicly chastised someone who believes in a religion/school of thought different than yours? No -elaborate : I like when people like me. I'm not going to start annoying them by imposing my beliefs on them. Although I'm one of those people who'd like to see religion eradicated from our planet, I understand how I'd lose many friends if I started lecturing them about my beliefs. -what group were they? what group were you? NA 17. If you belong to a religion or non-religion, please identify. Atheism -Did you consciously choose to follow this belief? Yes -Did you belong to another belief, by choice or force, before following this belief? Christianity or more precisely, Anglican (by force) -Did you personally research (as in personally in the first person) options before coming to this belief? Atheism? Yes. 18. Is intelligence (not IQ, but actual intelligence) correlated to one's belief in a religion or non-religion? Keep in mind that intelligence can not be measured by any science, this is simply your judgment call. Not really - it's more about how people are raised. If I was homeschooled by my parents with many visits from my grandmother, I would probably believe in god. However, my parents raised me with the option of choosing a faith, strongly imposing open-mindedness, so now I'm atheist. I would have been just as intelligent in either case. 19. Does religion, in your observation, do good in the world? Please cite specific groups or denominations. No. It's a complete waste of time and resources, and is used as a scapegoat by pretty much every powerful person in the world. It COULD be used for good, but mostly it's abused by powerful people who understand how society works. If people built hospitals or schools instead of cathedrals, our world would be a better place. 20. Does non-religion, in your observation, do good in the world? Please cite specific groups or denominations. No. Sadly, religion is something held up high by society and is considered sacred by the majority. People preaching non-religion are just pissing off religious folk, which is equally just a waste of time. The really important advancements in the world had nothing to do with religion. 21. Does religion, in your observation, do bad in the world? Please cite specific groups or denominations. Religion itself - no. People controlling masses with a religious vector - yes. 22. Does non-religion, in your observation, do bad in the world? Please cite specific groups or denominations. Other than a few groans, no. 23. Please list your experience with sexual education, including but not limited to: lectures by parents, schools, religion, or non-education. Please do not list your sexual experiences. I had a sex-ed course back in high school, but the only information I retained from it was the traumatizing video about people with STDs (with plenty of pictures and puss). My father and I never really had 'the talk' because when he finally decided to come around to it, I knew everything that needed to be known from first hand experience. I faintly recall a religious person holding a seminar back in high school telling us to save ourselves for marriage (or was that my English teacher?). It was laughable. 24. Have you engaged in sexual intercourse of any kind? Please do not list your sexual experiences. A yes or no will suffice. Yes 25. What, in your opinion, defines "love?" A fun word that has the potential to mess things up really badly. 26. Have you ever been in, or are now in, a relationship? A few fun flings here and there, never anything serious. I wish I could find somebody I can be serious with. -Is sex involved? Was, yes. 27. Are you single/committed relationship/married? Single, but the future is looking bright! 28. What, in your opinion, is sex's place in a relationship (or lack of relationship)? It's what proves both individuals have complete trust in each other in order to completely let go of all their inhibitions. It keeps relationships alive, not because of the pleasure (it's a definite bonus) but because it is the final step in complete connectedness between both partners. You don't have to be religious to put sex up on a pedestal - it's pretty much all I live for, and I'm far from religious. My friend has sex with his girlfriend to pass the time - I don't think I'd want to live anymore if that was my case. 29. Have you ever partaken in an illicit substance (excluding alcohol or marijuana)? -if so, what? LSD, acid and mushrooms -Have you ever lost control of your actions while under the influence of an illicit substance? Yes, acid is not fun. Seriously. 30. Have you ever partaken in marijuana? -Do you habitually use this substance? No, but it's very tempting to smoke up occasionally. I do these things socially. -Have you ever been "stoned?" Out of my freaking mind, yes. -Have you ever lost control of your actions while under the influence of marijuana? No, I control my actions, they're just more stupid than average. 31. Have you ever partaken in the consumption of alcohol? Yes -Do you drink socially or alone? Or both? socially, never alone. -Have you ever been drunk? Last night actually. -Have you ever lost control of your actions while under the influence of alcohol? No, I enjoy being in control come to think of it. Whenever I feel myself losing it I just sit down with my sitting friends and come up with crackpot theories that are always appreciated. 32. Have you ever regretted a sexual encounter? Hahahah yes, I'm just glad I can laugh about it now. Everyone's first time is always regretted, though. 33. Have you ever regretted using an illicit substance? (excluding hangovers) No, they may not have all had fun consenquences, but they were memorable experiences nonetheless. 34. Have you ever regretted using alcohol? (excluding hangovers) I manage to stay out of trouble when drinking, so nothing is ever regretted. I'm a nice drunk, I don't let my tongue loose either. 35. Have you ever given serious thought (longer than 30 minutes in a year) to the existence of a supreme being(s)? Definitely. [/hide]
  23. Wow thanks for all the nice replies everyone (and i'm glad the M didn't turn out to be floppy :lol: ). I think Pirate Felix has saved my life by suggesting I should spell Music instead of MUSIC, which will definitely cut this project time atleast in half. At first I assumed this topic would die before I completed the poster, but now I think I could get this thing done pretty quickly now that I have motivation : . As for aesthetics... I never really considered any since I started this, I'll see what I can do when it's done. Maybe I could add some music symbols or instruments here and there... you guys suggest something :)
  24. The Saw movies pretty much cover every worst way of dying I believe. Drowning in a tub of slowly accumulating pig guts would be the very worst in my books.
  25. fastortoise replied to Leoo's topic in Off-Topic
    Today my friends invited me to the pub, but the Drinking thread convinced me I've been drinking too much lately so I turned them down. 'Obviously this was a bad move' I thought to myself at 8PM alone on a Friday night. Out of sheer boredom, I started up my huge poster project again (as seen in The Gallery) and I've been working on it for 7 hours straight. My [wagon] and back hurt, my eyes are watering and my ears are ringing from my loud music, but I am so impressed by this giant M I created that I feel like crying. Tomorrow night I'm going to a house party, so my social life won't be too damaged from tonight :

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.