Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Tip.It Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

fastortoise

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fastortoise

  1. Reminds me of viewtopic.php?f=10&t=779216&start=0
  2. So with that reasoning, 0.9999... < 0.9999...9 < 1 The three dots represent the infinite number of nines, and the extra 9 'after' the infinite number of nines represented by "..." is the extra 9 you claim to have added. But you do realize, those two first numbers on the left are the same number, right? If you finally figured it out, you'd find 0.9999... < 1 is not possible because there is simply no number that separates them. They are equal.
  3. [hide=] You messed up going from step 1 to step 2. If you go backwards from 2 to 1, you cancelled out an a. That's a big NO NO. You essentially got rid of an entire solution. a^2 = aa, so just rewriting step 2 in another manner, aa-ab = 0 a(a-B)=0 therefore, a = 0 OR a = b In the case of your proof, a = 0 would indeed work, and that is the only solution (which is trivial)! ? That step is perfectly legitimate. Notice how I said "assume a=b" before my 'proof'. so lets say a=b=4 4=4 4^2 = 4x4 16 = 16 "going backwards" just involves dividing by 4 on each side. You didn't find the correct incorrect step mr. electrical engineer :-$ The problem is going from steps 4 to 5, in step 4 you have (a-B)(a+B) = b(a-B) you simplify this by dividing each side by (a-B) which according to the proof you wrote gives us 5 which is a+b = b. For 5 to be right (a-B)/(a-B) = 1 would have to be true. In step 1 you say a=b so (a-B) = 0. When you divide each side by (a-B) obtaining (a-B)(a+B)/(a-B) = b(a-B)/(a-B) your essentially dividing 0 by 0 which stated by the OP cannot be done. I'm a mechanical engineering student btw :P. [/hide] I'm definitely glad at least mechanical engineers know you can't divide by zero. My cal2 teacher once told us a story of a plane crashing because someone divided 0 in some sort of landing sequence calculation, but he was a nutjob and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
  4. Infinity doesn't end, it is not a tangible answer. Therefore, I say you can just keep on throwing on another 9. Well, you can't add another 9 to the end of a decimal number going to infinity...That's why it's infinity #-o
  5. Just thought of something.. can anyone here think of a number between 0.999..(repeating) and 1? :)
  6. You messed up going from step 1 to step 2. If you go backwards from 2 to 1, you cancelled out an a. That's a big NO NO. You essentially got rid of an entire solution. a^2 = aa, so just rewriting step 2 in another manner, aa-ab = 0 a(a-B)=0 therefore, a = 0 OR a = b In the case of your proof, a = 0 would indeed work, and that is the only solution (which is trivial)! ? That step is perfectly legitimate. Notice how I said "assume a=b" before my 'proof'. so lets say a=b=4 4=4 4^2 = 4x4 16 = 16 "going backwards" just involves dividing by 4 on each side. You didn't find the correct incorrect step mr. electrical engineer :-$
  7. hai guyz watch me beat math! Let a and b be any non-zero number 1. a = b 2. a^2 = ab 3. a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2 4. (a-B)(a+B) = b(a-B) 5. a+b = b 6. b+b = b 7. 2b = b 8. 2 = 1 =D>
  8. When friends of mine refuse to try engaging with girls they like at parties because they have boyfriends. It wouldn't annoy me much if they would stop asking me how to get girls, especially when there's a good dozen in the same freaking room just sitting alone. Just because there's a goalie doesn't mean you can't score :roll:
  9. Life is everywhere, so no matter where you pump what waste you're inevitably killing something. I think it's a bad idea since we have not yet fully studied the ecosystems on the ocean floor, and for some companies that lack of information is good enough on their conscience to start harming unknown species. Not knowing the consequences of these actions could be very harmful to oceanic life.
  10. I'm glad to announce that i'm finally enjoying healthy foods, especially big salads. A year ago my mouth would water when my dad would bbq some steaks, now I drool over a big bowl of salad & cabbage topped with hard boiled eggs and some ham. However, I still can't handle broccoli.. even when I smother it in peanut butter and chocolate. I also enjoy Indian cuisine more than normal, especially curry chicken =P~
  11. Evolution is the keyword here. If the offsprings of nerds or geeks manage better than other, evolution will eventually favour those who get attracted to nerds. That's not how evolution works though. I don't understand.. nerds have offspring? I thought they just decayed alone in their studio apartments. Also, the evolution principle does not take into account if your children are better off - all that matters is how much you procreate/how many children you have. If I have 5 kids and my friend has 0, I am considered more fit than him. So, since nerds don't have kids, I don't see how they will ever have an evolutionary advantage. I can't believe i'm typing this
  12. fastortoise replied to SwordKing's topic in Off-Topic
    Schoolwork isn't that important dude
  13. The week when both my paternal grandparents died, right after we had my first/favourite dog put down. :cry:
  14. Are you referring to elementary school, when teachers told you to stop fidgeting around the front of the classroom? Because otherwise, public speaking is mostly body language. Nobody is going to pay attention to a droning pole :thumbdown:
  15. SPRINGFEST WOOOOOOOOOO Campus-large party at my college tomorrow, time to get hammered before the finals!
  16. Let's just say you wouldn't be sitting behind a computer without the logic behind 0.999... = 1
  17. I'm more worried about the swine flu when it comes back in 6 months :?
  18. Gettin in early on a Friday night -.-
  19. Has anyone here done the Beep Test? At the beginning of the semester I got halfway through level 5, and now I am at level 7. I remember having a really high level in highschool, so now I'm just working on getting my endurance back. Level 7 is around 7 minutes of sprinting non-stop, around 1.1k cumulative distance (wiki beep-test).
  20. fastortoise replied to AndyPandy's topic in Off-Topic
    As genetics is probably going to be my field of research, I'm currently reading The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. Depressing but good.
  21. fastortoise replied to Leoo's topic in Off-Topic
    Dentist appointment then a Bio2 lab exam. -.-
  22. Or they could pay me to read some of my poetry *straps on leather mask*
  23. No, size your photos down alot!! Well, what size would you prefer them at? (give me the largest width you want for any image, and I will scale down the images appropriate to that). I'd say 2000 pixels in width MAX. Your first pic honestly stalled my laptop for a full 5 minutes, and since I only have a 1024x768 screen I couldn't even enjoy it.
  24. Views in this post range from people who believe that all laws are perfect and would never change, even hypothetically, to those who took a lesson from history (Nick's example). If the government changes a law it was because it was immoral or unjust, therefore keeping certain prisoners in jail would be unjust. Sure, they broke the law during their time, but if the government really wants to show the public that they acknowledge the unjust crime they need to release everyone that was bagged for it. In a perfect world, of course.
  25. The day my parents hack into my computer and read everything I wrote during my Internet lifetime is the day I don't come back home.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.