Everything posted by fastortoise
-
What diseases run in your family?
I made a very complete pedigree for my genetics class this semester, from physical traits to mental imbalances. The most frequent problems are osteoarthritis, high blood pressure and left handedness (which was fun to follow down the tree), and cancer. There are also a lot of mental disorders, but i'm convinced that it is "normal". I put normal in quotation marks because I believe that everyone is a bit mentally ill, and not everyone even recognizes the symptoms. Personally, I think the average normal human is a pretty dark horse, so people in my family with schizophrenia and depression cases don't worry me. To continue this topic, imagine you're in this situation. A genetic counselor builds a detailed pedigree and tells you and your husband/wife that your planned children will have a 50% (1 in 2) chance of developing a weak bone structure which will cause him to be less active than average. Would you agree to test the embryos (fertilized in a petri dish) for this disorder before implanting it in the wife or would you let nature take it's course? What if the likelihood of your child being albino was 50% as well? :arrow: (Note that both these situations are very possible and are being practiced in a billion dollar industry as we speak)
-
Post pictures of your pets here
[hide=] [/hide] i'm not one to say "awwww" much but... AWWWWW!!!
-
Homework
Yup. Chances are you won't understand the subject at hand the second the teacher shows you it, and you'll have to work it out by yourself at home because lectures only last so long. In higher education, however, homework is completely different in the sense that it's almost never obligatory. That's why highschool preps you to work independently, or else you'll be lost in college/uni.
-
What interesting words do you use in everyday conversation?
Live Swish Mint Whatever
-
Where are you from?
Montreal, Quebec, Canada its okay
-
5 Random Facts About Yourself
1) I check under the bed every night 2) I always save my money in big stacks then blow it all on something big and useless 3) The only time I read is before going to bed (after step 1) otherwise I fall asleep from habit of always reading right before falling asleep 4) I play pokemon when I drop the kids off at the pool 5) My favourite pokemon is Diglet/Dugtrio
-
Today...
Did an easy bio lab this morning, but decided not to go out drinking as planned because I have a terrible sore throat and wasn't in the mood. However, when my dad came back from drinking with all his friends, they invited me to chat with them over some drinks. I spent a nice 2 hours talking with all the retired biology professors from Concordia university, which was pretty cool. I guess old people aren't so useless after all :)
-
Best RSC friend?
Chesster3909 pretty much went through the entire game together
-
Let me see your shoes!
I put my white converse in the washing machine + dryer. they came out perfect \ you should seriously not put your shoes or trainers in a dryer! The heat damages the glue of the shoe and can cause them to break. best to just put them in a warm place, like an airing cupboard that is not too hot. Low-heat option 8-) Those shoes are still fine to this day, peoples. My summer shoes which I will be busting out sometime soon:
-
thoughts on Parthenogenesis (yung kidz dun look got sex)
Genomic imprinting pretty much makes parthenogenesis in humans impossible. It's basically how the genes in eggs are stamped as "motherly", and sperm as "fatherly". This is backed up by the fact that, depending on whether there is a deletion from the mother or the fathers chromosome in the chromosome pair 15, there are 2 different disorders. Angelman's and prae-der-wili syndrome i believe are the disorders. TLDR: a zygote will not develop even if two perfectly healthy eggs fertilize one another. In humans, anyways.
-
What non-physical characteristics do you find attractive?
Sense of humour is #1 that and feisty chicks are just.. =P~
-
Battlefield Heroes
I got my key last.. sunday i think. It's like crack for me now, no homework is being done in my room. My account name is "commander" and my heroes name (I only have 1 atm) is "RobinHood" whichever one you have to add to play with me \
-
The Petaminx
:? I find all these new rubiks cube knock offs are getting old. There are so many other puzzles out there, people are hammering in the fad way too hard. EDIT: it's already going for 2,600$ USD on eBay, holy moly. I wish I could sneak into his house and mix it up for an hour, just so people get turned off buying it
-
Thoughts on cockfighting?
That's also how I based my opinion of cockfighting.. I mean, people have been being extremely cruel to chickens in the food industry for ages, people don't care though because it's behind closed doors out in the country. Then all of a sudden they see people from different cultures doing arguably at the same cruelty level (cockfighting) and they start whining and imposing their own believes onto those people and AT THE SAME TIME continue being cruel to chickens. But of course they just go on with their lives, preferably away from chicken factories.
-
A few health/fitness questions
Whoa, that's scary similar to what I do. I figure that since Canadians only get 5-6 months per year of sunshine, I take fish oil capsules to make up for the vitamine D i'm missing. It also has 2 bonuses - omega-3 eicosanoids (not found in north-American diets) and some vitamin A. Ever since I've been taking them, I feel so much healthier since those were all missing in my diet. Even if you aren't exercising, you should really take fish oil capsules because I guarantee (unless you're vegetarian) that your diet is also lacking. And I also drink a cup of hot water every night. My mom's uncle did that as well and lived.. very long. I <3 water It is very strange indeed. I think it's the lack of motivation of the thread starter to just throw out an idea for improving their body and leave it up to a community to work for them. This is why every body building thread here has failed, not a single thread starter actually followed through. I suggest a health sticky, and lock all these cul-de-sacs
-
Reality...
Reality hit me this morning during my genetics class lecture. Even though I already knew you can choose what sex your child will be, their eye colour, ect., I never really linked it to reality until today. Before, it just seemed like a useless perk for insane parents until I learned that people really want to do these things, that it's being done right now, and that it will be a huge part of society future very soon. Sitting there, I imagined the infinite possibilities of genetic engineering, and now that I understand the mechanism behind all of it makes it even more real for me.
-
Things that annoy the hell out of you
This was pretty much my entire high school year class. People would marvel how great at understanding physics I was, when all it took at proper lecture of the question and a formula sheet (which is also given). For some reason, my classmates couldn't do the simple a+b=c when a and b are both provided. I wasn't annoyed at classmates because i'm extremely smart (i'm not), I was annoyed because they put no effort into using their brains. Sadly, more than half the people I know hate using their brains. This also makes me rage hard :ohnoes:
-
What Social Class are you?
If you based my class by the looks of our house, you'd think we were upper-middle. Although it may be located in a lower-middle class (which is what I think we are) section of the city, my house is full of computers and digital cameras and printers, all bought from my dad's grant money. We also do a major renovation every summer (ourselves), so our house and backyard are beautiful. I'm sure that if we sold our house, we could use the money to buy two more on the same block.
-
On a Mission
My friend's friend was on a mission just like yours, and some pirates tried robbing them. Apparently the navy took them all out easily and tossed them in cells where they had their fun with them. So I wouldn't worry too much about your own safety, seeing as you're surrounded by trained navy men :thumbsup:
-
Do you like to read?
My brother handed me the book "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell last summer, and it blew my mind. Earlier today, at Chapters (a book store), my dad and I found out he wrote another TWO books \ So i'm currently reading Blink (his 2nd) and my dad the third, which I forget the title. They're amazing books, explaining social epidemics and all sorts of good stuff everyone loves reading about.
-
Worst thing you got caught doing at school!
She was unbelievably nice to me, and gave me 80's when I didn't do any work. To be honest, I didn't even know teachers could get a job at a Public school if they we're blind (is this a public school)? Oh well. Free 80's and throwing [cabbage] out of windows. Sounds good to me. I think you've confuzzled two people together. And to explain, she wasn't blind when they hired her apparently.
-
Getting a Job at 14 [Lock Please]
Paperboy :thumbup:
-
College. Jagerbombs, parties, all that.
Wow, when do you have to apply to college in the US? I only started worrying about college choices three months before graduation.
-
Worst thing you got caught doing at school!
It was more of a competition. My friend who had history the period before us had hurled a garbage can then a chair outside, so we decided to top him.
-
Worst thing you got caught doing at school!
Talking about dictionaries reminded me of more highschool follies: 1- My teacher tells us to take out an exam and correct our papers, because she is tired of correcting our idiotic mistakes, so I ask my friend across the room to get me a dictionary, and he just takes one from the shelf and hurls it at me. So many people shat their pants, and it landed four desks in front of me so he says "sorry, man", takes another one out and tries again which was when the teacher stopped him. 2- My old history teacher was clinically blind, and students used to mess with her so hard. I usually just kept to myself during that class and played pokemon or tony hawk on my GBA, but one day my friend asked me to help him with something. So I pick up a side of his desk when he tells me he's going to chuck it out the window. I remember being shocked at the idea, but when I checked that the teacher didn't even notice we had stood up and picked up my friends desk I was all for the plan. We both sat right next to the windows, so he had already tore up the mosquito netting. I remember we had wedged it in the window, and all the students were shocked/laughing hysterically and the teacher didn't even do anything. That's also when my friend on the 3rd floor stuck his head out to talk to us (2nd floor) and noticed 2 desk legs sticking out the window. Even three of us couldn't push it out, so we just left class with a desk in the window. 3- I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned this, but one day we all got together and hurled snowballs into the school from outside. Our friends who were holding the doors open were covered in snow by the time we decided to scram.