Everything posted by fastortoise
-
Do You Support Capital Punishment?
Like my grandmother says, cut their balls off. No need for death penalties. I know it sounds sick and controversial, but if you think about it for awhile, it could solve a lot of our problems.
-
If you could make one thing illegal...
Books. I always wanted to witness an apocalyptic age, with gasmasks and all that jazz
-
Sticky Situations
I was stuck with the entire - art or science choice for college. Luckily my friends made me take a "spirit trip", the answer came easily during the trip.
-
Why is sex* bad?
Last summer my friends went to check out a nudist beach on a camping trip, and let's just say I'd rather have people clothed whether it's because of religion or not. Please, put some clothes on.
-
Wine and alchohol discussion
I don't understand people who drink not to get drunk. 1. Every alcoholic form it's an aquired taste, so you don't even enjoy what you're drinking until years later. 2. ITS FREAKING POISON. You don't sip on rat poison and discuss it's taste, you chug it down and embrace the effects. : I can distinguish between cheap and expensive wines, but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. That's why if the only option for drinks at a restaurant is wine, I always order the cheapest bottle. I prefer exploring mixes of beer and hard alcohol, sorta like jaggerbombs or irish car bombs. Way more exciting \
-
Happy new year!
Hmmm.. do some members from tip.it own time machines? I wish I could live 5 hours before everyone, I could prevent bad mistakes and all that jazz. Anyways, I'm just waiting for my friend to show up at my front door. Tonight's gonna be crazy, I saw pics of all the booze and roman candles we have :ohnoes: Hopefully I won't have too many burn marks by 2009. I'll definitely be ringing in the new year, very loudly and out of rhythm in the cold streets of Montreal, with all the other drunks and bums \ I was planning on typing til he arrived but he's obviously late and this post is getting really long, so peace out and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
-
What are you listening to right now!?
Queens of the Stone Age - Make it with chu we're like 1 song away 8-)
-
What funny craze have you been through?
Ugh... pretty much. I preferred "slammers" though, made of either plastic or metal. I remember once we didn't go to class after the bell rang because two 6th graders were playing with 5 metal slammers each. Then they got some with [bleep]es.. ugh..
-
Good Covers
Memphis Minnie, I thought you knew your blues? n00b \
-
The best science?
I noticed lots of people prefer chemistry because of the cool experiments, which brings up a point i've completely forgotten: labs. In my college we have 2 hours labs per week, in math, bio, physics and chem. Math labs are just lectures so i'll exclude them from this post. If I was to consider labs at my education level, chemistry is definitely the most interesting. Physics is just following instructions, calculating earth's gravitational pull ect (boring). Bio is alright, but I've grown tired of classifying animals in a system that's going to be changed in the next few years. Chemistry, on the other hand, were the only challenging lab periods where you actually have to do a pre-lab exercise to understand what's going on. Time was a major factor, and you had to rush a lot and have good communication with your lab partner. I remember once my partner emptied a elynmyers flask filled with a solution that i'd been making for a good hour into the sink. :wall: Also, the same partner handed me a vial without looking at me, let go before my hand was even close. Luckily I "dove" for it, saving us from failing. The pressure was quite a lot of fun looking back on it.
-
Good Covers
afaik he even started doing it "the jimi way" when he performed it live. Really? I read that he hated every cover made for one of his songs. Hendrix must have been an exception, but i'm still no so sure Dylan liked the cover #-o ANyways, my favourite cover is "When the levee breaks" by Led Zeppelin
-
The Jonas Brothers & Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana
wait. Miley Cyrus = Hannah Montana? ???
-
Do you like to read?
I'm currently reading Douglas Adams' 5-book trilogy, the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and all those. I enjoy witty English books \
-
The best science?
I've noticed the majority of off-topic'ers have either studied or atleast have had a taste of a variety of different sciences, so I'd like to know: which is the best? Obviously there's many things to consider in each field of study, so let me rephrase my question to a more objective one in order to prevent eye-gouging flame wars based on technicalities: what is your favourite field of study? good enough : At first I wanted this discussion to be as broad as possible, let people choose their favourite science with no debating. However, I'm going to force you to choose between the big four, hopefully we will get some disagreements. Here's the list: Physics Chemistry Mathematics or Biology I choose bio, and I personally think that all mathematicians are wasting their time on a excruciatingly painful science. Chemistry is also one of my least favourite, and physics is way up there with biology. You?
-
What's your New Year's Resolution?
Start working on an architecture portfolio, actually get some sk1llz in 3d designing and moar woodworking
-
Christmas trouble! Need help fast! [Thanks]
1. Cut a hole in the box 2. ---------- 3. Make her open the box
-
Worst thing you got caught doing at school!
I remember another one of my moments of glory: It was during my last year in highschool, in my advanced math class. I was hyper-bored, and the person assigned to sit next to me for half the semester wasn't helping. So I took out my bologna sandwich and started eating it, daydreaming. I then noticed my friend concentrating extremely hard on what the teacher was explaining, so I took out one of the slices of bologna and tossed it at him. The quiet room was disturbed by the loud *splat* as it perfectly hits AND STICKS to his cheek, halfway across the room. My friend just sat there, didn't even move, because he knew that this moment was too epic to disturb. I was so shocked that it stuck that I just sat there with my mouth open. He then tried convincing our teacher not to kick me out of class, because he knew that the only reason why I ever do things to get kicked out is because it lets me get out of school early. I have other stories which involve epic throwing, like when we were 20 students pelting snowballs inside our school as our friend held open the main doors, nobody able to stop us. I wish I don't take college so seriously, no funny memorable stories ever ensue :(
-
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all off-topic'ers!! Hope you got what you wished for :) For my dad, I got some Neil Young CDs. For my brother, I got the 11th season DVD of the Simpsons, and Mama-Mia for my mom. :D I'm just glad there's going to be millions of people at my house come tomorrow morning, I love family get-togethers.
-
thoughts about vegatarianism
Developed countries wouldn't have to import products from 3rd world countries, pretty much every country would be able to live off their own land.
-
thoughts about vegatarianism
I almost became vegetarian, but not because I have sympathy towards animal slaughter. I was going to be vegetarian because it's extremely beneficial for both myself and the planet. If everyone was vegetarian, we would be able to feed the ENTIRE planet, over and over again. Yet we still persist on eating our steaks and porkchops while millions starve to death every day *points are third world countries*. If you're wondering why being vegetarian is much more efficient, it's because only 10% of all biological mass/energy is transfered during each food chain step. That means, when you eat a salad, you get 10% of it's 'energy'. However, when you're eating a cow, you only get 10% of that cow's 10%, which is 1%. So, for every meat eater, you can feed 10 vegetarians. That's huge. And don't get me started about how 'weak' and 'brittle' vegetarians are: they just aren't doing it right. Anyone can live without meat and thrive even more than meat eaters, and I know a couple who do. Of course, I still eat my steak as well, but I've learned to hate myself so it's not that bad. I blame my parents for not introducing vegetarianism to me as a child, hopefully I can do the favor for my kids because I strongly believe that it's the 'right' way of eating. To all the tip.iters who say vegetarianism isn't natural, and that eating meat is the way to go: have you taken a look at your teeth, lately? Which do they resemble more, sharp pointy teeth of carnivorous predators such as sharks or lions, or do they look like deer teeth, ones that can grind and mulch up leaves? Yep, the human species is evolving into a herbivorous kind, you'll also notice the increase in smaller jaws in our generation. Obviously the majority of vegetarians converted their lifestyles based on their emotions towards animal slaughter, but I respect those who change their eating habits once they 'get' the whole picture even more. This post was filled with hypocrisy, and I hate myself even more because of that... it was a struggle for me to make my point of view.
-
Bad Habits
When i'm in shorts I make a little ball out of my leg hair and rip it out. Sometimes I manage to yank out 10 at once. I only do it when i'm extremely stressed, but i'm starting to lose leg hairs :oops: I guess the pain inflicted has the same effect as emo'ing it up, but this way is much less hardcore \
-
Teenage school hacker might face 38 years in jail.
I don't see how a punishment other than being expelled from the school would make sense. Jail isn't a place for a 17 year old hacker.
-
Snow & Snow Days
I just got home from a 15 minute walk from my friends house. There's snow stuck behind my ears, my pants are frozen in place, my shoes were filled with snow, my hands are ghost white and there's freaking icicles on the sides of my eyebrows. #-o
- Today...
-
Today...
Wrote my last final this morning (Biology). Piece of cake, revised twice. Then celebrated my break with a couple of friends from my class at a bar, had fun with a girl, came home. Called up work, asked them if I was working during the winter holidays (more like groveled). Went over to my friends house to watch the hockey game, had fun with the same girl, came back home. Going to bed soon, starting work again early in the morning \ Can't wait to see all my work buddies again! Apparently they hired a really good looking girl while I was gone :thumbsup: