Should F2P get skill capes?

hybrid2hell

I don't often agree with you, but on this one I do (except the idea behind the underlined part; no offense, it just seems kind of dumb and highly unfair to those of F2P in my opinion). But without any new arguments this debate will get nowhere. And Jagex is the only group that can officially decide what to do.

It's been a while since I last posted but I wanted to reply to this seeing as you are one of the most reasonable F2Pers on this board, meaning you acknowledge what's necesseary and what's icing on the cake. First to respond to the statement I wrote last december, you have to get to know me...

I'm very anti-social in this game and view chatting while playing as an annoyance most of the time. I regularly erase people on my friendlist solely based on their ability to annoy me (or fail to entertain me).

Seeing as most of the players on my friendlist were met while playing members, you can understand I rarely have the opportunity to speak to F2Pers. So this was not something of a vendetta I had against F2Pers, but since I don't relate with them a lot since we are playing two different games, I find no interest in having F2P friends to talk to. As you can see, I'm also very brutal on potential P2P friends.

I sincerely have nothing against F2Pers.... I just wish they were P2Pers in the end, so we could all enjoy the same game. It's really worth the 5ish$ and I wish all the players of this thread had the opportunity to at least try it.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Due to troubles with my credit card i recently became f2p and I didn't realize quite how bad it SUCKED to be frank. I think f2p definitely deserve skill capes, because they are something to be proud of and probably 5X harder to get. And for those of you who think i'm just a disgruntled ex-member, i don't have any 99 skills so I'm not really biased in that way.

Also just thought of this, even if you give f2p skill capes they can't get them all including quest cape. This includes many of what I think are the coolest, slayer,hunter,thieving,summoning

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I think it's not a bad idea.. I mean, it's far better for someone to show off their achievements with a cape than them spamming "My level in Cooking is 99." a hundred times a minute.

207pd9y.jpgHubs55.png

~Fire cape achieved at combat lvl 80~

BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~

• 1 month later...

I would be ok with it. For all the people who complain about free members getting p2p assets and then bring up the $6 a mo., why complain? Lets compare members and free for a moment...

Members have many more quests

Much better items

Pretty much 60% more game area

More skills

and much more...

Who cares if f2p can have skill capes? Honestly, if a f2p player can get a 99 in completely f2p then they deserve one stupid cape.

There are so many nearly worthless items in the game, most of which would benefit by giving them also to f2p. Although I agree that Jagex doesn't "owe" f2p anything, allowing f2pers more items would ultimately benefit members. Items like the dmed, for example, are crap drops (thanks to all the much better gear) but if we let f2p have them then the value would increase and we'd have some place to sell them. At the same time, the extra content teasers might help entice f2pers to go p2p.

Letting skill capes go f2p would benefit both f2pers and visiting p2pers who, although able to wear/use their cape emote, can't switch capes to show off their other 99s (and honestly, skill capes are more hype than substance...). Plus the benefits from said capes are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, so it's not like they're really being given a lot. The only major change would needing some central NPC that sells the things which, again, would benefit members from having the same convenience.

• 3 weeks later...

No, its one of the paid advantages of being a member.

This.

The other argument I could see is that they need a good cape with less mediocre defenses.

Skills capes are nice and all, but there's one huge issue with bringing this item to FTP...the item gives stats and bonuses that are currently unachievable in FTP. Something would have to be looked into about the stats skill capes have on FTP worlds.

smackyw9.gifBrucejuice.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think anyone who works hard to get a 99 in any skill deserves a cape. However, I would not give F2P "Skill" capes - let them have a generic "99" cape with no emote. They can proudly display the fact that they have a 99 skill, but if they want the cape for that particular skill and the emote that comes with it they can pay for the privelage.

dg7a7m.png

No I believe that the capes should stay members only. Runescape free version is basically a trial version. If Jagex receives more members the game gets better because they are making more money, so why should we offer a trial version capes for having a level at 99? Pointless...

r_a_u_m.png

As far I see it, if a free to player gets 99 in a skill, they deserve a skillcape. However, skillcapes are part of the benefit of being a member, an incentive if you will to become one. Now I know people say they wouldn't become a member just to get a skillcape, but its not like that's your only incentive, it's just one thing in a very long list. Each little thing can weigh on the scale of pros and cons of becoming a member, and skillcapes may just tip the scale for some people.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

Guest jrhairychest

Still this debate goes on. Anyone in F2P long enough to get a 99 by that time has no realistic intention of becoming a member, so why give them a cape in recognition of getting a game for free? Why do they deserve it when they don't pay fees? And please..spare me the bull of 'F2P contributes'. It doesn't, its a platform to encourage players to members whether people like the idea or not.

As far as ex-members still wanting to wear the capes they had in P2P they relinquished that right they day they stopped paying their fees (if they removed them that is!).

Yes, F2P'ers should get Skillcapes becuase if anything, it's harder to earn a 99 skill in F2P than in P2P. Whoever has a 99 skill should be able to earn one, it's only fair to the F2P'ers for working much harder to get that 99.

Proud Warlord of Ancient Legion

IRC: #Ancientlegion

No.

Here's why: Skillcape killed part of the game for members. Don't wish it upon yourselves as well.

I actually think that there shouldn't even be capes for individual skills. As someone stated earlier, it should be a cape with a "99" printed on it, and getting a 2nd one "trims" the cape.

And with Dungeoneering out, probably a "gold trim" on the cape, along with the "99" replaced by "120"?

I guess this solves the whole "noob cook/fletch" cape in members. :unsure:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

absolutely i myself am a F2P right now but i have been a member

and i think it is easier for P2P to get them

lets say that a person who has always been a F2P

got a skill to 99 they deserve it they worked for it

Guest jrhairychest

Sorry but can anyone clarify with a decent point why F2P 'deserves' them? I see the same old 'its quicker in P2P so they deserve them' chestnut but that's no justification. In most cases you make a conscious decision not to pay for membership or to cancel it and go F2P ($5 is nothing these days!). If you parents won't pay for P2P then that doesn't mean you deserve anything more. The F2P game is given to you for nothing so there's no time trial basis so you effectively get a lot for zilch. Just because you played a free game for a long time doesn't entitle you to anything other than that what you are given (you know, for free).

So why so deserving?

Time for some to get real and understand that if you want anything in life you normally have to pay for it, not by whinging for it. Don't expect Jagex to be the same as your parents where you'll get what you want if you pull enough tantrums out of the bag.

To be honest, nobody "deserves" them. Members have them, F2P does not. It is a fact. My only reason for thinking F2P should have them is their misleading news posts which never used the term "Members", such as:

Experts across RuneScape are now selling these stylish new additions to your wardrobe... but watch out! Only players who have reached level 99 of a specific skill or completed all of the quests will have the right to wear the latest in-game fashion and gain access to a funky new emote to show off their new cape!

and

As well as all of your funky costumes, the POH addition will also be able to store one of our other releases this month... the awe inspiring “Capes of Achievement”. Yes, players who have reached the awesome status of having level 99 in a skill or completing all of the released quests will soon earn the right to wear a special cape. Each cape - one for each skill plus one for the quests - will be available in mono-colour or with a trim. Each cape also comes with its own special (and unique) animation, as well as a slight boost to its associated stat. The capes themselves look stunning, and will complement the outfits of even the flashiest adventurers.

However, as I have stated before, I also believe it is too late to release them to F2P now.

My oppinion, as a long time p2p player, is that yes f2p should be able to get capes of achievement

however, i believe p2p should get special bonuses for wearing the cape, which f2p dont get.

eg. runecrafting cape gives a 10% chance of not using a essence (this is not a suggestion just an example of bonuses they could give)

this would make f2pers able to show off their capes while p2pers wont feel there getting less for their money

just my oppinion :D

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png