Lvls = Individual worth? >:O

highlanders

Here's an attitude vastly generalized in the Rs population; that people with higher lvls/possessions of superior to other people.

That attitude in real life is typical in people who have low self-confidence/too high self-confidence; valueing people on certain criterials such as possesions/job/physique.

Mmorpgs have been proven to especially attract people who lack self-confidence; the more you lack it, the more you play the game. Gaining items/lvls makes one believe he is superior, therefore temporarely relieving that person from his feeling of inferiority.

Personally I'm sick of this attitude, it is to be seen everywhere, including on this forum.

Also, lvls seem to be the only way to 'classify' people in Rs. Perhaps if lvls were hidden in Rs when it is not needed, this kind of attitude would be a lot less generalized and lead ppl to simply talk to ppl to know them instead of simply classifying them.

Btw, this is not a rant, just a discussion. Not sure if this is the good forum, move if needed.

Edit: N'other btw, don't turn it into a discussion of I don't have low self-confidence cuz of blah blah. It doesn't matter, most ppl with low self-confidence don't even know it, no one is doing a witchhunt at ppl with low self-confidence, no shame at having low self-confidence, etc. Just don't mention it, it doesn't matter.

2480+ total

meh well my ego is in the place i want it so this doesn't apply to me... As for these forums aside from a few people most are willing to help out lower levels and such... I don't think i am better than lower levels just because i've seen so many of them with higher non-combat stats...

combat stats are 5 skills in a game of 23...

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

Mmorpgs have been proven to especially attract people who lack self-confidence; the more you lack it, the more you play the game.

Lol. i absolutely love that sentence! :lol:

Anyways, i agree with your point. To often it is forgotten that behind every character is a real person. With the exception of autoers that is :wink:

phata_elise.png

combat stats are what 5 skills in a game of like 30...

24 skills... :P

OMG OMG YOU PL3y m0r3 th@n m3 u mst b3 a low self asteam person...

jk... Actually truth be told i've never counted em before ::'

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

I have to agree. I remember way back when in RSC that combat level did not show unless you went into the wilderness. But then new people complained about how they were really high leveled, and it wasn't until someone asked them to go into the wilderness that they were proved wrong.

I dunno, I'd love not seeing combat levels. It would make things easier in game, because people would not have to deal with other people who are all "I'm better than you"

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

combat stats are what 5 skills in a game of like 30...

24 skills... :P

OMG OMG YOU PL3y m0r3 th@n m3 u mst b3 a low self asteam person...

jk... Actually truth be told i've never counted em before ::'

actually it's 23, but i count IQ as a skill... :P

tipitsignature134jg0.jpg

uhm... let me count...

1. atk,

2. str,

3. def,

4. hp,

5. prayer,

6. range,

7. mage,

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

Kids who hit puberty have low self-esteem and self-confidence in general - I think you'll find the reason there, rather then in the fact of people playing these online games.

Besides, you're generalizing just as bad that people who play this game much have low self-confidence. And why do you care about people who solely judge you on your items / levels / post count anyway - it's just an easy confirmation that you don't want to be friends with that person.

Edit: I may even say that people who are lower leveled / poor have an easier time to find real friends who really care about them then those who are higher leveled / rich, because once you get higher leveled / rich it generally gets tougher to figure out whether someone added you for who you are or whether he added you just because you are higher leveled / rich.

In my opinion, a character's "worth" is usually classified in one of two ways: their skills and the items that they own. The skills are all the in-game skills plus the "unofficial" skills of the player such as merchanting, dueling, player-killing, monster hunting, and the forbidden skill of scamming. Since scamming is against the rules, we'll have to disregard that as a player skill. Items are inclusive of the various objects that one can obtain by monster drops, purchasing from other players, creating for themselves and obviously, cash.

A character's "worth" or rather their potential worth should be measuring the synergetic relation between skills and items. Players with higher skills have a greater potention to get more items. For example, a player that has trained their Runecrafting to a medium-high level can make their own Nature and Law runes to use for themselves or sell to other players for an item-profit. This is also true if the player relies on unorthodox skills such as merchanting to amass a huge item-worth to increase their purchasing power. With an increased purchasing power, the player can purchase skill training items to further their character's in-game skills. Although this is a very brief analysis -- more like an opinion -- this shows that skills and items are synergetic.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

uhm... let me count...

1. atk,

2. str,

3. def,

4. hp,

5. prayer,

6. range,

7. mage,

I don't count prayer and hps as combat skills because you can't attack with them (yeah i know about retrobution but thats just a technicality)

EDIT-

just to let some people know who say why not defence...

As odd as it sounds there is an option to attack defencively... check any weapon out there

I see no options that say attack with prayer

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

It all depends on the person behind the character. Levels just give them a specific argument as to say exactly why they are "better" then someone else, but regardless, take the levels away and the problem still exists.

I played back before and when the wilderness was released and combats were and weren't shown at points. It made no difference with levels being hidden. People would base there "I'm better then you" argument on things like how fast they kill an NPC or that they could catch the NPC before someone else or max hit...etc. If anything, you might even say it was somewhat worse. Level 10's would go around acting like they were a god and claiming stats much higher. Or if someone asked you your combat level and you said 113 (put it into relevant times) then they would start calling you a liar and pathetic and this and that. Similar to all of RSC's existence was melee stats. Someone could be a pure level 85 with 95 strength, but no one would believe them unless they saw a hit in the high 20s.

I personally don't really play RS anymore, and if I ever do, alot of the time I play with chat off because the overall community seems to be getting worse ever time I decide to log in. People seem to have nothing better to do then to try to put down others. It doesn't matter who you are in RS, someone else will always think they are better then you. At level 3 you are a "noob" with pathetic stats and not worthy of walking streets outside of lumbridge. Yet at level 126 you are a "noob" because you must have no life and must play at least 23 hours a day.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

Mmorpgs have been proven to especially attract people who lack self-confidence; the more you lack it, the more you play the game.

Anyways, i agree with your point. To often it is forgotten that behind every character is a real person. With the exception of autoers that is :wink:

There is real people behind autoers. How do you think the autoers got there? Autoers arent some other race out there that has been created.

The autoers were made by people

Autoers accounts belong to people

There are people behind them, just not playing them all the time ::'

Yet at level 126 you are a "noob" because you must have no life and must play at least 23 hours a day.

Not since pest control was released! Now you can be 126 and only have to play 22.5 hours!

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

uhm... let me count...

1. atk,

2. str,

3. def,

4. hp,

5. prayer,

6. range,

7. mage,

I don't count prayer and hps as combat skills because you can't attack with them (yeah i know about retrobution but thats just a technicality)

You count defence though? :?

Hitpoints and prayer are combat related, you can use prayer to increase the effectiveness of any other combat skill and without hitpoints you'd be dead.

well..since my hs football is done with i have to find some way to get violence out..my parents are already thinking about counseling for the last time i let my anger build up.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png

Um, I guess that could be a good generalization. But I'd be a little more specific, since a lot of high level people have been playing the game a long time. I'd say ignorant/power-hungry/arrogant/greedy people in the game have low self-confidence. Angry at the world, vent at everyone behind pixels, that sort of thing.

But I do agree with low self-confidence = more gameplay. They won't be able to try new things so they come here and can be masked by the game, so if they suck, no worries.

61784167.jpg

Game.

Of.

False.

Egos.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

So ur saying that because I play the game a-lot, I lack self-confidence??

Even though i have friends, a job.. etc....??

Wow, you missed the whole point. Read the post for Christ's sake.

2480+ total

There is real people behind autoers. How do you think the autoers got there? Autoers arent some other race out there that has been created.

The autoers were made by people

Autoers accounts belong to people

There are people behind them, just not playing them all the time ::'

Yet at level 126 you are a "noob" because you must have no life and must play at least 23 hours a day.

Not since pest control was released! Now you can be 126 and only have to play 22.5 hours!

Was that sarcasm or did you seriously calculate that?