Why Macros are HELPING the RS economy...

I firmly belive that bots are not only eating away at the

runescape economy but they also prevent it from regenerating

mainly beacause when macroes chop wood gather bones or fish,

they can either sell

1 it for runescape cash or

2 trade it for real world money

If number 2 happens items which could have been potaentially been

runescape gold is lost therefore,no gold is made therefore the player has less runescape gold to spend. So less people will be able to sell beacause 1

person hasn't sold goods for gold.He sold it for real world money!

Think of this on a massive scale!!!!!! :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is inflation bad for the economy?

Why? Because it widens the gap between the rich and the poor, aka the old and the new (yeah i know huge sterotype but mostly true) and might deter new players when a rune scimmy is suddenly 9678k beacuse money is not worth as much.

And btw, as history has told us, inflation leads to nasty revoltions, in our case ppl leaving and new ppl not coming in because of the huge financial gao between them and the people who have been here forever.

Now if you actually tried thinking before posting you would notice it's exactly the opposite. :lol:

Inflation means there keeps going more and more money into the economy. Because of that, money becomes less valueable (extreme example: in the past you could buy a nature rune for 300 gp, now you would pay 1500 gp, thus the money is worth less. ) Some rich guy has 100M gp in his bank. Suddenly inflation kicks in hard. In the past he could buy 333333 nature runes (300 each) for his 100M, but now he can only buy 66666 nature runes (1500 each) for his 100M, so he has become less rich.

Now if there was deflation, that would be bad for the new players, since the 100M of the extreme example guy is worth more and the newbs will have a harder time getting such an amount of money.

Sorry, but you just said the same thing he said, as far as what happens when inflation occurs. With inflation, everyone just becomes less rich, because you can get less for the same amount of money.

All he said was it will be harder for new players to start off, because everything will be more expensive.

If deflation occurs, (like now, because of macros,) newbs will have it easier because everything is so cheap.

AKA think before posting =D>

Halo%202%204%20u.gif

The construction emote should be a person burning a bag of money.

Add me on Xfire! User = loopydood

jumping-smiley-012.gif

^Click the smiley. You know you want to.^

The topic is How Macroers Help the Economy, yet you fail to mention the economy once in the article.

Most of it is rather obvious, that everybody knows and nobody bothers to post.

:-k

redbullsigortiz.jpg

Macros = good for ressources buyers

Macros = bad for ressources gatherers

Most low levels do ressource gathering. So I'm guessing, good for high lvls, bad for lower lvls?

Maybe, but even there, they don't make the prices fluctuate that much, the sharks was the only flashy event imo.

2480+ total

Macros = good for ressources buyers

Macros = bad for ressources gatherers

Most low levels do ressource gathering. So I'm guessing, good for high lvls, bad for lower lvls?

Maybe, but even there, they don't make the prices fluctuate that much, the sharks was the only flashy event imo.

I'd hardly classify all skillers as lower levels. 91 rc for example is, believe it or not, a high level achievement and it's being screwed around by the autoers problem. Not every high level player uses combat for cash.

Then there's more than sharks, there's green d hides, (maybe even d bones), yews, nats however you are correct in saying sharks do fluctuate the most.

PS: firefox tells me that there's one s in resource :wink:

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

I'd hardly classify all skillers as lower levels.

Solidus you totally missed my point, here I'm talking about ressource gathering, not skills or whatever >.>

Fishing and wc can be a steady income even for higher lvls, nothing flashy though, but all other ressource gathering, that it be a skill (fishing lobs by example) or not (picking flax) is just a waste of time for higher lvls.

2480+ total

Why is inflation bad for the economy?

Why? Because it widens the gap between the rich and the poor, aka the old and the new (yeah i know huge sterotype but mostly true) and might deter new players when a rune scimmy is suddenly 9678k beacuse money is not worth as much.

And btw, as history has told us, inflation leads to nasty revoltions, in our case ppl leaving and new ppl not coming in because of the huge financial gao between them and the people who have been here forever.

Now if you actually tried thinking before posting you would notice it's exactly the opposite. :lol:

Inflation means there keeps going more and more money into the economy. Because of that, money becomes less valueable (extreme example: in the past you could buy a nature rune for 300 gp, now you would pay 1500 gp, thus the money is worth less. ) Some rich guy has 100M gp in his bank. Suddenly inflation kicks in hard. In the past he could buy 333333 nature runes (300 each) for his 100M, but now he can only buy 66666 nature runes (1500 each) for his 100M, so he has become less rich.

Now if there was deflation, that would be bad for the new players, since the 100M of the extreme example guy is worth more and the newbs will have a harder time getting such an amount of money.

Sorry, but you just said the same thing he said, as far as what happens when inflation occurs. With inflation, everyone just becomes less rich, because you can get less for the same amount of money.

All he said was it will be harder for new players to start off, because everything will be more expensive.

If deflation occurs, (like now, because of macros,) newbs will have it easier because everything is so cheap.

AKA think before posting =D>

And I say the same to you, as you seem to completely miss my point.... =D> I didn't really mean the guy was wrong about inflation, just that his idea that it will be more difficult for newbs to catch because of inflation is wrong. I added the whole (maybe unnecessary) explanation about inflation to better explain my view on the matter.

Since you didn't try and think over what I said, I'll try to explain myself even better. Inflations is good for newbs! To go back to my example of natures and the guy who already has 100M, my whole point is that it is easier for a newb to catch up to a rich player when there is loads of inflation.

I think it's fairly reasonable to assume the average new player will try to gather great wealth by gathering raw materials. Now then, if he wants to catch up to the rich player and earn 100M, he will have to gather lots of stuff, but I'll just stick to the example of nat crafting.

Let's set up two times, labeled time B (before) and time A (after). B will be the past time when things were normal and A will be when the prices of all things have changed thanks to inflation. Just like my last example, at B the price for nats is 300 each and at A it's 1500 each. At time B mister newb has to gather 333333 nature runes to get 100M. At time A (prices have gone up due to inflation) mister newb only has to gather 66666 nature runes to get 100M. That's a difference of 266667 nats to gather, so the newb clearly has an easier time catching up to the rich guy when prices have gone up due to inflation.

best-guide-ever.jpg

Macros drop prices of everything...

Good money making in f2p:

Big bones | 300 each | ? | 100?

Yews | 330 each | 200 each? | 80?

Lobsters | 250 each | 180 each? | 90?

-------------^Before---------^After-------^After 2years?

That is helping...? For who? Maybe rich players who started 2-3years ago and now want cheap 99skill...

Forgive my ignorance, but I just gotta ask... What does a macro do when the evil chicken shows up and attacks. Does it log off and then back on again? Can't Runescape detect those things and kill the account? I tend to put up with those annoying random events largely because I expected they were keeping the playing field level. Not so?

• 4 weeks later...

OMG, i just had to reed this article.

About raws, macro's are destroying the buisness for the majority of player who make money that way. you have to have money to make money. Bowstring bots craft flax to bs and lower the price so now i have to sell my bs lower too. They cut yew logs and sell them cheep so now i have to too

weardall.png

Check out my 50M+ Blog

1) There is no excuse for autoing, it does not help the economy because it ruins the game for everyone. Eventually the amount of autoers will outweigh the real players and the game will just cease to exist because of lack of legitimate players. Then Jagex will push the big red kill button and take the game offline or something.

2) You missed a type of autoer in your list, Plank runners. Im trying to get 90 construction and I see maybe 10 of them in a world just running oak planks for hours on end. It sucks... <.<

Pasty.png

1) There is no excuse for autoing, it does not help the economy because it ruins the game for everyone. Eventually the amount of autoers will outweigh the real players and the game will just cease to exist because of lack of legitimate players. Then Jagex will push the big red kill button and take the game offline or something.

Off Topic - hence my thread "Will gold farmers be the downfall of RuneScape?"

On Topic:

Macroers are only good for thiose players that want to get to 99 in certain skills (ie. cooking, fletching etc.) very quickly.This is because they tend to keep the cost of raw materials down due to the large numbers being produced. Hence, the ever growing devaluation of the Skill Capes in these skills. I feel sorry for all the old-timers who got, for example 99 fletching, by cutting and then fletching their own materials as there efforts do not now get the recognition they desrve.

However, to those people that either gather resources to sell, or merchants the macroers are runing their livlihoods because they flood the markets with lots of cheap materials.

In addition to the effects on the RS economy macroers spoil the whole gameplay for people like myself who pride themselves in being self-sufficient, ie. if we want some cooked shark we go fish them and then cook them to use. The macroers mean that it is extremely difficult to get certain materials, such as Yews (even in P2P). In fact if Jagex do not soon get on top of the problem I shall be one of the people mentioned above cancelling their subscription and leaving the game.

• 3 weeks later...

INFLATION

th ecomomy would crumble remember what was it 1929? stock market crash, the great depression, It will be on much smaller porportions, cuz its in rs, but it will affect millions of people... :uhh:

I don't like fun, it upsets me.-- Marilyn Manson

I know another reason they help, they make the econemy more like the realworld economy. In both real world and RS there are people controlling the econemy. In RS it's bots, in the real world it's the Saudies, and all the other middle east countries sitting on oil.

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?

helping the economy... i care more about the players. and the legitimate players are not helped at all.

if you want high level fast in a skill that depends on raw materials and have the cash, then the "macros" are helping you because you get raw materials cheaper = you get there faster

in my case i wanted flech 85 and i wanted to cut yews to make yew longs. i think i don't need to tell you how hard it was.

for players that want high (99) wc or don't have the cash to buy the raw materials for fletching, it's bad

for players that start rs and want to get some cash, it must be very hard. they can't cut trees because of the macroers, they can't mine, they can't sell the flax for decent prices, they can't sell the ess (or p ess) for decent prices anymore. it's very bad. a new player is inferior to a bot: he can't stay 24/7 online and collect those resources, so he'll be very likely to quit seeing that it's hard (and alot harder than it was for us, the players that now have a jump-start in mining, wc etc). it's very hard to be skiller because he has access harder to resources, to be pk-er (needs lots of cash for that too).

if you look at the last question in the rs pool you can see how many players want to be better than someone else: more than 62% (at the time of this writing). what good is being better than someone if you just buy all? what good is for 15+% of rs (according to the same official pool) to be one of the best if alongside of you are loads of bots? it spoils alot of the feeling of accomplishment.

hi, Rebdragon.

explain to me why inflation is bad.

because it cuts new players 95% off their sources of income.

There isn't going to be a revolution full of death and unrest because there's more money in the game

but there are going to be way fewer new players because they are going to be put off by the hardships above mentioned. this will lead in time to the end of this game because players will also leave, and without constant flow of new legitimate players, it will become haven for macroers and real time traders.

Solidus_77, there is a "cost for living". if you really want something good, you have to pay for it: food to heal, raw materials, repair barrows, recharge crystal (shield, because i don't know why would someone recharge crystal bow since dark bow is better). other costs too, like buying from shops things players can't be bothered to sell (or are untradeble).

all our capital doesn't depreciate
yea? would you still buy my flax at 100 ea? or you would not talk to me unless i offer 60 or less?

most resources are infinitely replenishing (but they are still scare and therefore they are economic goods)

ok... i hope you rethink this when you try to cut yews/mine coal :(

It's a world of monopolistic competition where there are few barriers to entry that can be achieved by ANYONE

the difference is that it's alot harder now for players that play for short periods of time or just started recently

if your job becomes too unprofitable you can easily switch or even just stop all together since there is no "living cost" in runescape

i hope you remember this next time when you want to repair your barrows/recharge crystal item/buy food for pk

Halo_2_4_U

newbs will have it easier because everything is so cheap

the new players still need a way to make that cash to buy those things, but their places have been overrun by macroers :(

AKA think before posting

ouch!

raylifes

Inflations is good for newbs!

rofl

i think it's very bad

swordb88

i do agree with this,

they do jobbs we dont want to.

also wen people get banned for buying rs gold it is lost...helping the inflation probem

there are some people that want to do those jobs. and those people are ruined. i had a player BEGGING me to buy p ess from him. i did not need it at that moment, so i declined.

i think there is an inflation, but one of raw materials.

brave

n addition to the effects on the RS economy macroers spoil the whole gameplay for people like myself who pride themselves in being self-sufficient, ie. if we want some cooked shark we go fish them and then cook them to use. The macroers mean that it is extremely difficult to get certain materials, such as Yews (even in P2P).

my point of view 100%. thank you.

1alebcay

I know another reason they help, they make the econemy more like the realworld economy. In both real world and RS there are people controlling the econemy. In RS it's bots

there are no robots in real world that mine raw materials 24/7, leaving people without skills jobless.

(nature runes can't go that up, because there are quest shops that sell them for 300 coins max ea

rune scimmy won't be sold for less than 10k because it hi-alches for 15k)

blue_1979.png

True, I was just suggesting that in both econemies there is one group controlling things, here it is macros, in the real world it is arabs on their oil.

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?

Autoers are getting rid of a lot of gold too. Somebody whined earlier about how they couldn't buy runes or arrows. Autoers are getting rid of gold by buying all that stuff. <

My opinion? Autoers blow, I mine, I wc, I tried RC but on f2p there is absolutely no way to make money until like lvl 88 and make 9x airs but that takes way to much time or money, and the autoers are killing me. Its not only the prices that drop and make it harder for me to make money but the amount I can mine and cut also goes down because they take the ores.

Lets say that there are not autoers and I am at a place with three iron rocks and a bank right next to them. I get 3 iron ore every cycle which would proablly be about 330gp (110ea). Lets say I mine 1k an hour like this.

Now 2 autoers come and we each only get one ore a cycle. Thats 110gp and only 333 ores an hour. I lose like 70k and hour because of them and probally more because they are also lowering prices.

^^You might say "who cares, same amount of recources are entering game, whats your point?" But their not, I can mine two hours straight and bring in 666 iron a day with those autoers. But the autoers can mine 24 hours straight brining in 7992 iron a day (At 333 iron and hour). So instead of.....

NVM, I don't even understand myself anymore....

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Regardless, they're against the rules. Any advantages they present to the game are completely overruled by that simple fact.

And besides, yeah they gain mass raw materials to sell, creating a cheaper market ... but what about the players who gain the raw materials to sell legitamately? It's sure as heck unfair to them.

Whell, I' ve read a bit and here are my 2 cents:

Macroers are active in yew cutting, lobster fishing, shark fishing, green dragon killing, essence mining, flax picking to name the most common. They do NOT mine iron or coal, they are too slow. We, miners do that. Macroers make bars.

Then, macroers are NOT helping RuneScape. If macroers spread too far, people will quit. Meaning, macroers will leave when nobody will be left to buy their goods. Thus, RuneScape would fall apart. They may be helping buyers now, but belive me, too many macroers will be the end of RuneScape as we know it. What they need to do is hire some real mods who will ban all macroers they see. Only in P2P.If they do that, they may loose alot of money, but think about it. In the long run, more members will come, just because there are no macroers there. Why, in 2 years, the amount of members may just double, since kids get older, find summer jobs, and start paying for the game themselves. When the members benefits page says "100% NO macroers!", what do you think they will do? Whell, F2P will become infested, but there would be so many macroers, the users would start loosing money, instead of gaining. Thus, macroers would start to dissapear. And re-appear and dissapear again, but in the end, F2P players may start do dissapear. New players would rather convince their moms and dads (or grandmas and grandpas), to play for membership. In bout 3-4 years, JAGeX could release a new RuneScape, on a CD. They would make tons of cash, and the way you get membership, is like in World of Warcraft: trough a Game Card. There is a code on, and you type in the code the instance you want to become a member. Hell, RuneScape might just become WoW' s biggest competitor. Now I ask you, who won' t be able to get membership now? And think about it, a new RuneScape, bigger than the last one, better graphics, no macroers. THIS is a win-win situaton. JAGeX gets alot more money, maybe even TRIPLE they get now.

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

Jagex should remove 1/2 of all the money in the game... That and high-alch everyone's everything... Then we can start anew with much less, and only our skills...

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

Whell, I' ve read a bit and here are my 2 cents:

Hell, RuneScape might just become WoW' s biggest competitor.

They already are!

OT: As long as macros are in game, they are artificially efeecting the economy. When a big bot busting update is released, raw materials bounce around like ping pong balls creating mass hysteria in Fally W2 :) I like it when that happens, but the price of yews, coal, flax, sharks and ess etc need to have a stable price range. If that meas that it becomes uneconomical to high alch yew longs, then so be it.

for all of you defendig the macros

you KNOW they are bad, you KNOW they kill the economy yet you still defend them. why? challenge? fun? your cheating too? regardless we know the macros arent helping anyone but greedy pkers and cheap skillers so this is barely a debate