Guitar Hero/Rock Band Discussion thread

Karmastocracy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just takes a bit of practice. I used to suck on medium too -- but now I can do great on expert. (all within a 4 month period or so really.)

This time also could have been spent practicing REAL guitar...

This is the first time someone has ever pointed this out. Thank you, I will drop my game and go spend a few hundred bucks on a guitar.

:uhh:

It just takes a bit of practice. I used to suck on medium too -- but now I can do great on expert. (all within a 4 month period or so really.)

This is the first time someone has ever pointed this out. Thank you, I will drop my game and go spend a few hundred bucks on a guitar.

At least the second half of his post contained some of the intelligence this forum needs. But I do agree, I am rather sick of people pointing out that we could play a real guitar instead. That's like saying we should drop FPS games and go kill real people.

when i did the game on medium i used i different band to easy, i got stuck at Morello, then today i went back to the easy band and did medium on that, got past morello on 2nd shot, i used a whammy then difficulty up then another whammy right before the death drain began

then i beat Slash first shot! :D

i used double notes at the end and then death drain wasnt enough to finish me of, i won, unexpectedly :wink:

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig

At least the second half of his post contained some of the intelligence this forum needs. But I do agree, I am rather sick of people pointing out that we could play a real guitar instead. That's like saying we should drop FPS games and go kill real people.

Nah, it just gets rather degrading when people constantly talk about Guitar Hero and how Guitar Hero teaches you how to play real guitar and how the only reason people know certain songs is on Guitar Hero, which they use to judge the actual difficulty of playing it, or how people assume that things sound the exact same legato or alternate picked, and so on and so forth.

What I'm getting here is that it's not the game that guitar players don't like, but more the false empowerment it gives to its players that are of lesser mental capacity to realize that a GAME is far, far different from doing something for real.

The FPS analogy is a bit stupid, though, especially since a guitar can be had for $150 and causes nobody harm, whereas firearms cost a sizable amount of money and cause permanent damage to people.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Nah, it just gets rather degrading when people constantly talk about Guitar Hero and how Guitar Hero teaches you how to play real guitar and how the only reason people know certain songs is on Guitar Hero, which they use to judge the actual difficulty of playing it, or how people assume that things sound the exact same legato or alternate picked, and so on and so forth.

What I'm getting here is that it's not the game that guitar players don't like, but more the false empowerment it gives to its players that are of lesser mental capacity to realize that a GAME is far, far different from doing something for real.

The FPS analogy is a bit stupid, though, especially since a guitar can be had for $150 and causes nobody harm, whereas firearms cost a sizable amount of money and cause permanent damage to people.

Just speaking for myself but I don't say that, at all. Hell the reason why I don't want to play Guitar is because it is a lot different than the game. It's kind of silly for others to assume that because you like Guitar Hero you would automatically like playing a real guitar.

Of course its a game, and I don't think anyone in this thread here disagrees with that. I don't think anyone in this thread actually thinks they are a better guitar player because of guitar hero.

Well, to get back to my game progress, I'm currently stuck on Metal on expert. Can't figure it out for some reason. That and the White Zombie song (forget the name). It's my least favorite song on the whole game, and of course I have to play it a bilion times to try to beat it. :x

Gotta agree with Nadril about playing Guitar Hero v. real guitar. Of course, I play real guitar because it's different than the game. Gotta mix things up once and a while right?

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Huh. On Expert, out of the main setlist, I only have Number of the Beast, One, Raining Blood, and The Seeker to 5* (no clue why I can't 5* Seeker, so eh). I really need tips on how to prevent my arm from wearing out whilst playing NotB, because it causes me to break my streak very, very often.

2552DyWnY.png

Well, to get back to my game progress, I'm currently stuck on Metal on expert. Can't figure it out for some reason.

I found it quite easy, it's really just repeating the same thing over and over. Though if you have troubles with hammer ons and pull offs I could imagine it to be a difficult song.

Still can't finish raining blood on expert <.<

On one, with the first part of the solo it will be something like OBY OBY OBY OBY YRG YRG YRG YRG for a while. Don't try to use pull offs because it's not gonna happen. Hold down the bottom of the 3 notes, and then alternate for the top 2 and just strum up and down at a decent speed. When your rock meter is just in the red use star power and you should be fine for the rest of the solo.

Oh hell yes! I got it today - three days before it's officially released. :) I just beat easy, and struggling somewhat with medium (I rarely get over 90%).

Is it necessary to double pick on medium? Do you guys double pick at all? Because I'm finding it hard to double pick while still being able to work the whammy.

edit: also, does purchasing new gear and clothes improve your performance anything?

2009rb9.jpg

Oh hell yes! I got it today - three days before it's officially released. :) I just beat easy, and struggling somewhat with medium (I rarely get over 90%).

Is it necessary to double pick on medium? Do you guys double pick at all? Because I'm finding it hard to double pick while still being able to work the whammy.

edit: also, does purchasing new gear and clothes improve your performance anything?

Only double pick on parts that are too fast to strum normally.

Also, no purchasing gear doesn't help other than to make you look cool. :P

Only double pick on parts that are too fast to strum normally.

Also, no purchasing gear doesn't help other than to make you look cool. :P

Ah good. I'm digging my Bullzeye LP way too much.

2009rb9.jpg

Mega, it depends on whether or not you have to strum all of those notes or if they're hammer-ons. If they're hammer-ons, a very easy to learn trick known as "trilling" can help tons with that, where you simply hold down the lowest note with your index finger and press down on the higher note with your middle finger when it rolls on down, and you should be able to get 'em fairly easily; this helped me a ton on the harder songs. :)

2552DyWnY.png

I played it for the first time in my life at a friend's house... lamest 25 minutes of my life... well depends on the time I built that snow fort out of non-packing snow when I was 6... but, otherwise it was nothing like a real guitar. I play the drums and I have a friend who plays guitar and we often play together.

Otherwise this is my feelings for guitar hero: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=232

Blender builder

Today's experiment is:

Learning how to make light industrial space craft.

I played it for the first time in my life at a friend's house... lamest 25 minutes of my life... well depends on the time I built that snow fort out of non-packing snow when I was 6... but, otherwise it was nothing like a real guitar. I play the drums and I have a friend who plays guitar and we often play together.

Otherwise this is my feelings for guitar hero: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=232

20070509.jpg

GTFO

Tk5SF.png

http://www.cad-comic.com/comics/20070509.jpg

GTFO

Seriously agreed. If you're trying to compare this [cabbage] to a real guitar you fail at life -- HARD.