The stupidity of summoning...

Kietaro1

That still presents the problem of allowing you to train a skill along side another skill. I.e. summoning and mage in the example I gave (summon beast, fight monster, high alch yew longs). Obviously if summoning is going to be appealing to the average scaper, it is going to have to have high level rewards. So by summoning and killing monsters while alching, you are getting 2 skills higher + making money in half the time. If it allowed you to train combat skills as well, this skill would be severely overpowered. My point is that within Runescape as we know it, this skill does not fit, it cannot fit or else it would make many exsisting skills obselete. Of course people would still use the other skills but why do a skill that only allows experiance in one area when you can get summon/mage or summon/range or summon/combat? It is kind of like the slayer skill but in the slayer skill you have to be engaged the entire time and there is always the oppurtunity to die. If summoning is to be as it traditionally is, it would allow you to make tons of money with little effort.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know what a discussion is? It doesn't mean people talking about somethign they know the solid facts of you know. There is nothing wrong with speculation, and as for Jagex not listening to people, You are joking arent you? They are one of the few games companies that BLATANTLY listens to its gamers input, many ideas posted on the official suggestion forum have been implemented in-game. Again this is a forum to discuss anything about the game, if you don't like a topic don't run in here with your axe and start decapitating people because you don't like the tone/content of a DIscussion. Its the wrong side of rude.

As for summoning, it to me strikes me as not a skill but an extension of magic, there would need to be a clear difference and unfortunately i think that will mean you need to do a quest and use 'summoning' runes, which to me would be stupid. Of course this is all speculation and thus i'm likely to have my head bitten off for it but thats a risk im willing to take in the face of the forum nazis.

If you really, really want to stretch the meaning, fine, this can be discussion. Is it thoughtful or productive? Does it have any basis for its speculation? No. All it has is a confirmation that JaGex may release summoning. After that, this... discussion... goes on to speculate how bad summoning will be by forming conjectures that bases off the OP's expectations. Where do those expectations come from? I don't know. If this thread is worthy of being called a discussion, then its proof that this forum is going to the [cabbage]ters. Lets "discuss" how something we know nothing about sucks, based on what we don't know!, as opposed to, "Lets speculate on different ways summoning can be implemented and used!"

And JaGex does listen to the players. On the rsof. You even said they listen to suggestions on the RSOF suggestion forum. But this is tip.it, and this thread is NOWHERE close to a suggestion thread. It sounds more like a rant. JaGex rarely listens to complaints unless its large, and this... complaint... is neither large, nor worthy of even being a complaint.

I brought no axe here. The OP is working off something so weak, i don't need an axe. A breeze would topple him. The OP comes and "speculates" that summoning will be [cabbage], i say, people have gone over this, how do you know. He has a negative tone. So must i respond with a positive tone? What possibly could i say thats positive? You make it seem like if i don't say anything that goes along with the OP, its rude. Im rude because the OP complains about something that does not exist yet. I'm rude because im responding to a complaint. Makes... sense?

Your last paragraph comes closer to discussion than the OP's ever will.

That still presents the problem of allowing you to train a skill along side another skill. I.e. summoning and mage in the example I gave (summon beast, fight monster, high alch yew longs). Obviously if summoning is going to be appealing to the average scaper, it is going to have to have high level rewards. So by summoning and killing monsters while alching, you are getting 2 skills higher + making money in half the time. If it allowed you to train combat skills as well, this skill would be severely overpowered. My point is that within Runescape as we know it, this skill does not fit, it cannot fit or else it would make many exsisting skills obselete. Of course people would still use the other skills but why do a skill that only allows experiance in one area when you can get summon/mage or summon/range or summon/combat? It is kind of like the slayer skill but in the slayer skill you have to be engaged the entire time and there is always the oppurtunity to die. If summoning is to be as it traditionally is, it would allow you to make tons of money with little effort.

How do you know you can train/use summoning alongside a skill? How do you know JaGex will allow you to use strictly what you summon to attack, while you do nothing? What if, you can't? What if its strictly combat? What if its not? I see people high alching while they wait for herbs to grow, ranarrs and snaps give nice yields, so they're training two skills at once, and making money. Should farming be nerfed? How about alching? But then again, how do you know it will function like that? What are the high level rewards? Stronger monsters to summon? I see people using curse spells while doing slayer tasks, thats THREE SKILLS AT ONCE!!! Magic, slayer, and combat, should they be nerfed? They're using magic to make it easier to kill their slayer targets, thats unbalanced! And what skills would be obsolete? You haven't even mentioned skills that could relate to summoning, so what skills do you speak of? And how do you know theres no risk? Maybe your monster would die and the blue dragon you had fighting it attacks you? Well, that assumes you can use just your summoned monster, so i can't say that for sure. And of course, you could make tons of money, because summoning will be completely free of cost! or will it? I dont know; in fact, no one does, so i am in no position to make such a statement

stan18 I think you fail to understand what exactely a discussion is. I have placed the burden of proof upon you the responder to show me ways that summon COULD be implemented as a Runescape worthy skill. I in no way have tried to imply that what I am saying is fact, all I am saying is that I do not believe that summoning is a skill that is presentable in Runescape. That is called an opinion and I have given reasons that support my opinion. Sure summoning may come out and be completely different than anything that I have suggested but it does not negate that I believe it to be a horrible skill choice for Runescape. 'What other skill would be better?', you may ask and honestly I do not have an answer but I will not back down from my belief that of all skills that could be introduced, this one is a horrible idea. Just like your opinion of these threads my opnion of threads endorsing the idea of summon is something that dislike.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

I think summoning could be a decent skill to have, especially if you could summon monsters for non-combat purposes as well as combat , like mabey a metal creature you could use as an anvil or a magic fairy that would look over any crops or some thing like that. :-k

I think it would be fun to be able to summon a leigon of demons to use in the wildy or castle wars as well. \'

But still, all things considered, this sounds like it should be a new branch of magic insted of a entire new skill.

Here's my signature--RUNESWORD 760

If you had the runes to do it you could fight indefinitely.

a) If you have the runes (or arrows) you can do this already

B) You can only have a finite amount of runes so not indefinitely.

While this is true, I believe that you fail to see my point. In circumstances that involve the usage of runes or arrows or even halberks, there is still the oppurtunity to die. I am a mage and while in the Ogre Shaman cave I was safe-spoting the blue dragons and accidently walked around the rock and got hit for a 47 instantly killing me. I lost tons of items, I had been there for quite some time, as well as the 30k air and choas runes. If you summoned up a beast to do you biding then told it to kill something while you sit over to the side (probably high alching) then there would never be an oppurtunity for you to die. This of course is me assuming that summoning will be after the traditional sense. This is not Runescape, this is Lemonade Stand.

Assuming summoning is in the traditional sense, how do you pickup the drops from the summons kills? It would probably be the same as when maging/ranging, so the risk would still be there. (also when you are high alching you could get a random and die :P)

Matthew T-D

Whip drops: 9

Abyssal head drops: 3

I imagine summoning as runecrafting. At level 1, you summon 1 imp. At lvl 11, 2 imps. At 22, 3 imps, and so on. Higher level monsters would follow the guidelines of higher level runes.*

As for disrupting the combat pyramid, there HAS to be something to lose when sending monsters out. Perhaps with each monster killed, you would lose a large amount of Run energy. So summoning many monsters will drain your run energy and leave you vulnerable.*

*Was I supposed to guess stuff like that? Meh, it was fun imagining.

And TECHNICALLY summoning already exists, in a manner of speaking. In construction, those monsters you make run a fine line near "summoning". True, you "construct" and not "summon" them, but its pretty close.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Stan just because you think the topic starter makes a poor point doesnt mean the following discussion is useless, ive seen many threads (accross countless forums) with hundreds of thoughtful replies where the OP consisted of a poorly constructed rant. Just because you think the bar is set low doesnt mean you have to follow.

just make it so you can only summon once every 5 or 10 mins. As for the new spell book how about summoning tablets? Players can make them in their POH at a lecturn

Barrows drops: Torags pl8, Torgas legs, Guthans chainskirt

If I could summon a Lesser Demon I'd make it give me a piggy back ride, but that's beside the point.

Summoning probably wouldn't work because of the fact that, like you said, it could be summoned indefinately. Maybe make a delay, like vengeance, if it did come out?

Mudkipz.jpg

Mmm... Mudkipz...

didnt u guys hear? rs2 will eventually become obsolete just like they did to rsc and theyll come out with rs3 which WILL have the summoning skill. and then everyone who wants to stay on rs2 will know how rscers felt when they got robbed of their game :roll:

im still bitter with their handling on rsc's situation but i dont blame them and have nothing against rs2 so this post is not a flame against rs2 cause i still play both versions :thumbsup:

I've always thought that if they do incorporate it into the game, it would be as a minigame, or extension of the Duel Arena. Say, you use cards that you recieve from monsters (Like a rare drop corresponding to the monster but all monsters will only drop their own and only decent monsters will drop them, like a Green Dragon has a rare chance of dropping a Green Dragon Summons Card) or recieve from Clue Scrolls (Level 1, Combats 20-60, Level 2, 60-90, Level 3, 90-up) and you can only fight in an extension of the Duel Arena... Or maybe you can offer to duel anywhere, and have like, battlefield advantages. Nah, the latter would be way too complicated, so, you each choose a monster and they fight for supremacy! (And you can choose to stake and stuff, just like a pokemonized/Nickelodeonized version of the DA)

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

i did not find that funny one bit. :|

I did... :lol:

You're possibly the only one.

Summoning is a plausable skill to release. And a LOT of the people on this thread I can tell have not done Swan Song, therefor don't know what the heck they're talking about.

Runes won't be required, and should the skill be released, it will be an actual skill, not part of the Magic skill. Jagex has said in the past the skill would be released.

And those of you who say, "Well Jagex promises lots of things that don't happen," I would like to remind you that for almost 3 years people constantly complained that Jagex lied about Player-Owned-Houses, and a lot even said it would never happen.

Yeah...it was a smack in the face for those people, I'm sure.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

I've always thought that if they do incorporate it into the game, it would be as a minigame, or extension of the Duel Arena. Say, you use cards that you recieve from monsters (Like a rare drop corresponding to the monster but all monsters will only drop their own and only decent monsters will drop them, like a Green Dragon has a rare chance of dropping a Green Dragon Summons Card) or recieve from Clue Scrolls (Level 1, Combats 20-60, Level 2, 60-90, Level 3, 90-up) and you can only fight in an extension of the Duel Arena... Or maybe you can offer to duel anywhere, and have like, battlefield advantages. Nah, the latter would be way too complicated, so, you each choose a monster and they fight for supremacy! (And you can choose to stake and stuff, just like a pokemonized/Nickelodeonized version of the DA)

umm well [cabbage] if thats how they make end up making the summoning skill ill definitely quit this game. i definitely dont want yu gi oh coming to runescape ffs <.<

i did not find that funny one bit. :|

I did... :lol:

Lol considering your the author, you probably did, and you nknow what- so did I.

but then again, im amused by the changing of the wind (not really-well i hope not)

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

ok, im just gonna be a level 3 skiller walking around pking better than most people.

"Die level 126! Fear my 10 jads and a kaphlite queen!"

Yeah, thats just so not gonna throw off the whole game.

when they release it, i hope its the day before april second. <.<

Solving that problem:

Summoning:

Summoning monsters using runes and bonesÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ but hard.

Each monster will need a special bone, available as a rare drop from the monster, to be summoned.

Lvl 1: Rat. Requires 1 earth rune, 1 blood rune, 1 soul rune, bones, and a rat skull (50% chance of getting one). (10 xp)

Lvl 5: Imp. Requires 5 fire runes, 1 blood rune, 1 soul rune, ashes, and a imp skull (20% chance of getting one). (30 xp)

Lvl 10: Goblin (Level 5). Requires 5 earth runes, 1 blood rune, 1 soul rune, bones, and Goblin bones (10% chance of getting one). (100 xp)

Lvl 20: Skeleton (Level 13). Requires 1 death rune, 1 blood rune, 1 soul rune, bones, and Zombie bones (5% chance of getting one). (200 xp)

Lvl 20: Zombie (Level 13). Requires 1 death rune, 1 blood rune, 1 soul rune, bones, and Zombie bones (5% chance of getting one). (200 xp)

Lvl 35: Hobgoblin (Level 28). Requires 10 earth runes, 1 blood rune, 1 soul rune, bones, and a Hobgoblin skull (5% chance of getting one). (300 xp)

Lvl 50: (Elemental Workshop) Elementals. Requires 50 (appropriate element) runes and a (element) Elemental Corpse (5% chance of getting one). (300 xp)

Lvl 80: Lesser Demon. Requires 20 fire runes, 2 blood runes, 1 soul rune, bones, and a Demonic skull (1% chance of getting one). (500 xp)

You can order a monster you summoned to attack another monster. You gain no experience from anything your monster does.

The special bones would be nontradable. Pwned, nooby wannabe summoner pures.

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

Ok I didn't read all that, but this is how it would work in my mind.

To summon a monster you need something (Jagex's choice) other than runes.

These would have the same kinda drop rate as herbs. W/o ppl killing stuff and getting herbs, there would be no way to train herby.

Once you summoned a monster, it would fight something, like at first a rat, working up to green dragons or whatever. Xp for the skill would be gained just like any other cb skill. 4 X the hit = xp. Now when you get into the high lvls, you can summon really good monster, and players could duel their monsters in a new dueling arena for cash.

anyway, i think the skill would ruin the game, my way or any other way.

bestsignpic.png

2181st to 99 Runecrafting on 7/28/2009

It won't be released except as an addition to an existing spellbook (Modern or Ancients), if it does become a skill and it's anything like what people suggested here I will quit Runescape since it would be stupid.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

didnt u guys hear? rs2 will eventually become obsolete just like they did to rsc and theyll come out with rs3 which WILL have the summoning skill. and then everyone who wants to stay on rs2 will know how rscers felt when they got robbed of their game :roll:

im still bitter with their handling on rsc's situation but i dont blame them and have nothing against rs2 so this post is not a flame against rs2 cause i still play both versions :thumbsup:

Your theory would hold more merit if Jagex hadn't already come out and said that RS3 will never happen. Idiot.

As for thinking you know how summoning will work, look at construction and all the theories that preceeded it before it was released. Giant blocks of land with millions of houses, people complaining that it would cause the servers to crash, more whining about the "ruined economy". Jagex has a way of surprising all of us with big updates.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Maybe it will not require runes? Maybe it will not be magic only? There's many possibilities, maybe it will not work in the wilderness? Maybe you summon monsters, with new tokens from mini-games, a game designed for the skill, and you use the tokens in combat to gain levels in this.

Maybe also, it's a hard skill like slayer, slow to raise, but with great benefits, such as getting dragons to join in helping you fight powerful monsters, or other monsters for fighting in player vs player areas, maybe like vengeance, there's a time limit in PvP areas, and you summon monsters to do powerful attacks, but it has a time delay on your other attacks?

So many possibilities, maybe even a PvP book that is seperate from a monster fighting book, with hard quests to ubnlock.

There's so much that could go on to make this skill a feaseable choice as the next skill.

- Zillis

Yay i so gud i gts 23 farming