Level Cap

Kevin_

With all the new goodies that came out, you're able to hit very high, perhaps to high? Piety and the new God Swords are just 2 examples. I mean, you can get killed with just two Dragon Dagger specials, with the max hit being 41 when using a Dragon Dagger, it's quite impossible to survive. Even the God Sword is deadly, even due the slowness you can get hit 60 Easily. So, is Jagex planning a level cap update in the near future? How high would the max level you could achieve be? Discuss.

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I read somewhere that the current experience cap (200 million) is what a level 126 in any given skill would be.

Yes that is correct, but that would take Runescape to a whole new game, much harder.

I think I read somewhere that the current experience cap (200 million) is what a level 126 in any given skill would be.

Yes that is correct, but that would take Runescape to a whole new game, much harder.

But if they release this, they would have to create a whole new list of items for each skills, new trees for woodcutting, new armours, new rocks, etc.. which will make the game much harder that it is at the moment.

High Players would like to reach that lvl 126 on each skill, and the Economy would certainly suffer :-k :-k

loverromeoau7.png

Meh, do you realise the bigness of this cap-raising? They called the god wars dungeon already one of the biggest updates this year. But raising every skill even a few levels requires much much more than this update;).

For starters you would need a whole new set of monsters, harder then the ones we know now. And also every skill should have something that makes it worthwhile to train so high, and seeing how many skills don't offer benefits at high 90 levels now, it will require a LOT of time & thinking to raise the cap on every skill. Smithing is maxed out, and people will train the combat related skills anyway, just to hit higher. But you'll need new slayer monsters, new runes to double craft, new stuff to craft, new ores to mine, new bows to fetch, new fish to catch, new food to cook, new rooms to build, new monsters to hunt, etc etc etc.

I don't think that the cap will ever be raised. While new high-hitting weapons are being introduced, other high-defensive armour is also being introduced. Which softens up the chances of hitting so high repeatedly... I don't do PvP so I can't fully comprehend what the new weapons and armour mean to the PvP'ing world, but every weapon has it's strong and soft spots. Sure you can get 2 hitted easily (theoretically speaking) now, but if you're worthy of your opponent, then you should be able to wield the same equipment he is, but you perhaps chose not to. Doesn't he/she deserve to be rewarded for his/her daring? Or on the other side, punished for his/her recklessness?

Nah, I don't see the need to raise the caps, and I don't see it happening either, tbh :).

I know what I know and what I know might well not be what you want to know but then seeing as only I know what I know and you do not know what I know then you will not know if what I know is what you would like to know

.... So, is Jagex planning a level cap update in the near future?

Well, most online games do raise their caps as the years go by.

Otherwise, maxed out players get bored and quit.

How high would the max level you could achieve be? Discuss.

Well, the max integer in RS is, IIRC, 2^31-1

That's 2,147,483,647

Now, RS does keep track of exp values less than 1

(killing randoms gives 1/10 normal exp, killing a rat in controlled gives 2.666... exp, etc)

So, perhaps, the displayed value of exp is actually 1/10 times the stored value.

If that were true, then the true max displayed exp would be 214,748,364.7

(Note that RS has a displayed exp cap of 200 million exp.)

That, in turn, would be level 127.3 for any particular stat

which leads to a new max combat level of 162.3

'Course, all of this is just idle speculation...

It'll be really tough to reform the game [as we know it] with a higher level cap in it than before. If they were to do that they'd have to redefine the leveling schema, the experience per item/monster made/harvested/killed, and change the combat levels and adjust a whole slew of things.

I'm quite confident that it can be done, but when it is, it won't be on a level that we could compare it to the RuneScape we know today. It'd be like comparing a catapult to an artillery battery; not gonna happen.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Jagex just needs to release new food - the max hp we can heal per "turn" is only 37 (tuna potato + sara brew). Since the dagger can hit potential 40-40s four times in a row, we definitely need higher healing food. Max HP wouldn't help much unless you plan on staying at 80+ hp the entire fight

77yLQy8.png

Jagex just needs to release new food - the max hp we can heal per "turn" is only 37 (tuna potato + sara brew). Since the dagger can hit potential 40-40s four times in a row, we definitely need higher healing food. Max HP wouldn't help much unless you plan on staying at 80+ hp the entire fight

I agree with this one...i think raising the level caps would spoil the game as we know it. Sure, some extra high level (as in 90+) features for some of the more "neglected" skills wouldn't go amiss, but yeah, a higher healing food is whats needed methings.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Cap raising is only to avoid that highlevel players leave.

It doesnt work to add levels just to 'fix' combat.

If you raise that cap in any skill, that new level needs it reward that is balanced to the level it requires. So adding new levels just gives you the same problem. You could increase the level cap, because the DDS hits 41-41. But if you add a new level, that should come with a reward that is usefull for that level. So a goddagger that hits 51-51. So you need a higher level cap. Etc.

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

.... So, is Jagex planning a level cap update in the near future?

Well, most online games do raise their caps as the years go by.

Otherwise, maxed out players get bored and quit.

How high would the max level you could achieve be? Discuss.

Well, the max integer in RS is, IIRC, 2^31-1

That's 2,147,483,647

Now, RS does keep track of exp values less than 1

(killing randoms gives 1/10 normal exp, killing a rat in controlled gives 2.666... exp, etc)

So, perhaps, the displayed value of exp is actually 1/10 times the stored value.

If that were true, then the true max displayed exp would be 214,748,364.7

(Note that RS has a displayed exp cap of 200 million exp.)

That, in turn, would be level 127.3 for any particular stat

which leads to a new max combat level of 162.3

'Course, all of this is just idle speculation...

You are correct, I've seen a J Mod confirm this on the RSOF. Can't remember who it was, but they stated that 200M looked a lot neater than 214M, so they stuck the XP cap at 200M.

I don't see raising the level cap being the answer though, for an extra 27 HP levels (from 99 to the new maximum of 126 with the current XP cap) you need a heck of a lot of XP (around 175M ish).

ki7Gvlk.png

To hell with humanity;

The more I see, the less I believe.

The only way I could see raising the level cap being beneficial for the new weapons and such would be if they raised ONLY the HP cap.

Say they raised the cap to 120. What good is 120 HP going to do compared to 99 HP when people start getting 120 strength as well. As your raise the caps for things, the max hit will only go up as well.

The max hit with the drag dagger at 39 strength is a 19x2

The max hit with the drag dagger at 59 strength is a 27x2

The max hit with the drag dagger at 79 strength is a 35x2

The max hit with the drag dagger at 99 strength is a 44x2

So what would that make 120 strength hit what? around 53x2?

(those numbers were using tipits calc and all the max strength gear including the new drag boots and bandos pants)

Then you will have everyone complaining that O the max gear is in the 70's and my stats are 120, thats 50 below, we need higher level weapons and armor.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

with the max hit being 41 when using a Dragon Dagger

you sure its 41? tip.it says its 40 for me... without tasset or fire cape. thats 6 less str bonus.

seems like it could be 41 maybe 42.

maxwi0.png

No D Fire Shield / Dragon Boots.

I agree as well. We need food that heals at least 30hp, thats not way too hard to get, with all this new groovy stuff to kill with. We are not pking with Dragon axes & rune kites or dragon longs anymore.

6he242p.jpg

"Be Excellent To Each Other"

with the max hit being 41 when using a Dragon Dagger

you sure its 41? tip.it says its 40 for me... without tasset or fire cape. thats 6 less str bonus.

seems like it could be 41 maybe 42.

maxwi0.png

No D Fire Shield / Dragon Boots.

i forgot the dfire shield... so that actually is +8str i left out. and that is on accurate.

let me go punch in the numbers.

edit: okay, with a str bonus of 90 with a dragon dagger doing its spec. the tip.it calc says 44 is the max hit. however, i know tip.it is off 1 or 2 generally.

so im thinking, with all the str gear and prayer with a dagger spec, you can hit at least a 42, maybe more.

but, also i believe the dragon dagger does not allow for double max hits. especially big 1's like, i have never hit my max hit with the ddagger previously when it was like 33/33 35/35 or whatever. i dunno its just a theory i have heard and it seems to be true in my eyes.

The only way I could see raising the level cap being beneficial for the new weapons and such would be if they raised ONLY the HP cap.

That will not work because ppl will think Jagex love Combat/Hitpoints more then skills...

(and i can already see ppl demanding 3x nats or 2x deaths at 110 RC or whatever :P)

Stephleref.png

About a week ago I saw an idea that 99 hp didn't mean that you had 99 hitpoints (might not make too much sense atm).

From what I remember they put that you could have (example) level 10 hp but actually have 14 hitpoints and by their calculations level 99 hp would actually give 132 hitpoints.

I'm not sure how it would work as in following your hits as the 99 would show in the stats screen and such unless some more rearranging of the stats screen and another box/bar or something to show it.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

Cap raising is only to avoid that highlevel players leave.

It doesnt work to add levels just to 'fix' combat.

True, but many online games to exactly that anyway.

EQ has gone from a max of 50 to the present 75 (with fall plans for 80)

...So adding new levels just gives you the same problem.

Yes

So, the game developer never fixes the problem.

They just keep adding newer, higher level content and

better gear to keep us playing.

Meanwhile, older content becomes obsolete.

The best that a developer can do is to slow down the process by

giving us other things to do.

Things like new skills and % ability modifiers.

Hmm instead of raising all lvls caps how about reforming the hp stat to that the lvl goes to 199 but still requiring 13m exp to get, this would be a good solution imo.

enjin-197880-13470529531124777514-gray.png

Ex-Wilderness Guardian

Ex-Solace

Retired from F2P clans indefinitely