Level Cap

Kevin_

I think I read somewhere that the current experience cap (200 million) is what a level 126 in any given skill would be.

That is correct, Jagex have set the max xp limit at 200million xp although it is possible to go slightly higher. The game works on a 32 bit system and in that system the maximum number possible to reach is 2,147,483,647 (2.1billion) although xp also work in desimals of xp, so for example some tasks could get 67.5xp

This lowers the limit buy adding a desimal, so the maximum limit possible for xp in this game would be 214,748,364.7 (214.7million)

also the desission was taken that 214,748,364 would look messy, so it was rounded to 200million xp. It is doubtfull that this will be increased for the reasons it was added in the first place.

When applying the equasion for the level gaps it would mean at 200million xp your level in any given skill would be 126.

The question to ask, should it be done? in my opinion anything higher than 100 would mess up the game, it would be wrong and would place too much pressure on players. The untimate goals would essentially become un obtainable.

sig2webzx7.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex just needs to release new food - the max hp we can heal per "turn" is only 37 (tuna potato + sara brew). Since the dagger can hit potential 40-40s four times in a row, we definitely need higher healing food. Max HP wouldn't help much unless you plan on staying at 80+ hp the entire fight

The problem with food is the long and never ending battle of PvE vs. PvP.

You cant make one side happy without upsetting the other. Add powerful weapons to kill bosses and monsters harder, you upset the PvP world.

You make higher food so that PvP have a chance vs those weapons, you can camp at KQ and other monsters for hours making the armor/weapons more common and more widley used.

Its really a non-winning spiral. The only way to fix it is make inprovements, but with weapons like keris, or black mask, or salve ammy, ect. Updates that help players against monsters, but not against other players.

Of course then the PvP's dont get updates as much, and then they whine about not getting updates. Really you cant make them happy. The only way Jagex has to control items such as this, is to make them so rare, only the super elite use them. But everything becomes common after time. Theres not much that can really be done.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Perhaps defence should play a more significant part in pvp, for example actually reducing damage taken to some extent. :-k

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Perhaps defence should play a more significant part in pvp, for example actually reducing damage taken to some extent. :-k

Agreed to some extent.

As we have special abilities for weapons that lower stats, and do yada yada or dont let other players use prayers...

Maybe perhaps some armor or something that to some extent "nullifies" or even so much as cancels out these amazingly high hits for say 10 to 20 seconds or something?

As it stands now, i think, If you have the right gear and stats, you will overpower / hit through someone with the right defencisive gear and stats....I think...

And even thats mostly becuase of specials.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

yeah, so they can do like they did with d boots and give them to lvl 83's in a certain skill.

what? I'm 146 after a few years and still get royally screwed? nah anyone in their right mind would pass on what jagex has to offer.

balance? yes thats what we want, mage is a real class, oh here to top off your dds ect have a mage sword..... lovely design that they have. story lines have been neglected after the elimination of a few key persons, and in stead they court lvl 60-110 players throwing wayside anyone who really works to achieve in the game. I see no future in rs except the harvesting of souls in the name of increasing grower's bank.

http://rsdo.net/sigs/users/s/sharkeater75.png

126 combat. 2001 total. 101 prayer. and off to go WoWin.

WHEEE NO MORE RANDOMS!!!! -.-

I think I read somewhere that the current experience cap (200 million) is what a level 126 in any given skill would be.

That is correct, Jagex have set the max xp limit at 200million xp although it is possible to go slightly higher. The game works on a 32 bit system and in that system the maximum number possible to reach is 2,147,483,647 (2.1billion) although xp also work in desimals of xp, so for example some tasks could get 67.5xp

This lowers the limit buy adding a desimal, so the maximum limit possible for xp in this game would be 214,748,364.7 (214.7million)

also the desission was taken that 214,748,364 would look messy, so it was rounded to 200million xp. It is doubtfull that this will be increased for the reasons it was added in the first place.

When applying the equasion for the level gaps it would mean at 200million xp your level in any given skill would be 126.

The question to ask, should it be done? in my opinion anything higher than 100 would mess up the game, it would be wrong and would place too much pressure on players. The untimate goals would essentially become un obtainable.

You can't split an integer into tenths to make it a decimal. That's why it's called an INTEGER.

For experience, they likely use a float or double, whose maximum values are... well let's just say, more exp than you could get playing nonstop for 100 years straight.

If you must know, a float is about 340,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 max value and a double is about 17 with 307 zeroes after it.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

About a week ago I saw an idea that 99 hp didn't mean that you had 99 hitpoints (might not make too much sense atm).

From what I remember they put that you could have (example) level 10 hp but actually have 14 hitpoints and by their calculations level 99 hp would actually give 132 hitpoints.

I'm not sure how it would work as in following your hits as the 99 would show in the stats screen and such unless some more rearranging of the stats screen and another box/bar or something to show it.

I'd prefer a system similar to this; the "base" level and the "base" experience wouldn't change, just the way the numbers are tallied.

In that system, it seems to have a ratio of about 1 to 1.75 in terms of levels. Under the current RuneScape structure, that is a perfectly acceptable move. Any other changes to the system might result in a new and totally radical game than we know.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

yeah, so they can do like they did with d boots and give them to lvl 83's in a certain skill.

what? I'm 146 after a few years and still get royally screwed? nah anyone in their right mind would pass on what jagex has to offer.

balance? yes thats what we want, mage is a real class, oh here to top off your dds ect have a mage sword..... lovely design that they have. story lines have been neglected after the elimination of a few key persons, and in stead they court lvl 60-110 players throwing wayside anyone who really works to achieve in the game. I see no future in rs except the harvesting of souls in the name of increasing grower's bank.

before there was mr. calc.. there was this..

http://rsdo.net/sigs/users/s/sharkeater75.png

126 combat. 2001 total. 101 prayer. and off to go WoWin.

WHEEE NO MORE RANDOMS!!!! -.-

what about skill capes? would u need the UPDATED or old lvl (99) to wear them?

i dunt wana lose my attack cape :(

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

There is something called Protect from Melee which halves damage from other players you know :wink:

But saying that even still, we need new food, something that can heal 30. Im sure there's enough cooks in the game so that this food would be available easily enough :)

Dark_Jab.png

Or just make armors which increase the max hp like a plate which increases hp by 5? and if you have the whole set of that armor you get a bonus of a extra +5 hp? or something along those lines

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

About a week ago I saw an idea that 99 hp didn't mean that you had 99 hitpoints (might not make too much sense atm).

From what I remember they put that you could have (example) level 10 hp but actually have 14 hitpoints and by their calculations level 99 hp would actually give 132 hitpoints.

This is the only thing that could be useful, 99 should be the level cap still. Making the cap higher would be stupid because

1. That's for lvl 107 already getting 99 twice. Maxing a skill should still be possible in a relatively short amount of time.

2. There are only like 2000 that will actually enjoy this, all the others won't like that they have to get twice as much xp.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

maybe this might be a solution that could substitude a skill cap on melee skills:

since higher hp levels would involve higher strength levels the desired effect will be compensated and not be accomplished.

so then there must be thought of a way of rasing ur hp without touching this skill cap.

personally im thinking about when a player achieves 99 hp he/she could obtain more protection (see it as extra health or for the ironic people between us, protective underwear lol).

protection is vague, so il give a example thats well known in games like 007 (AKA james bond), u have a healt bar, when u pick up a bulletproof vest u got another bar of health.

now i dont want to say that extra hp should not be obtained this easily, doing a mini quest for every extra hp was a simple idea i could make up very quickly... :-k

Proud owner of firemaking cape!

im wondering, what would happen if zezima reach total exp of 2,147,483,647

his acc would be deleted ? :DDDDDDD [JK]

A few months back the limit was set so we could not go past 1billion total xp (in the high scores) this will be upgraded to 2billion xp probaly (in the high scores), after this point total xp will stop beeing calculated.

The player is still able to gain xp in individual skills but it is fixed so the high scores wont display it increasing in total xp.

Jagex have said previousally they dont know what would happen if they missed a situation which allowed a player to break the limit...... it is untested as they are scared testing it could break the game.

if say sombody found a way to break the GP gap they belive that the money will switch to a negative number! although this was only a guess.

sig2webzx7.jpg

This moronic cap conversation comes along every half a year or so. There is enough training in rs, enough grind and repetition. How can anyone be as stupid to want more of the same? Lets face it, rs is the most skilless game after the introduction and release of commodor and atari type games. And you ppl want more grind? Amazing

You can't split an integer into tenths to make it a decimal. That's why it's called an INTEGER.

I think that you are mis-understanding what he is saying.

He is saying that the exp for a skill is stored as a 32 bit integer

but the displayed value is presented as that value divided by 10.

Hence, the max displayed value would be about 214 million

if there were no display caps in place.

For experience, they likely use a float or double,

They probably do something like that for total exp

since that total could go as high as ~ 23*2.14 billion

whose maximum values are...

a float is about 340,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 max value and a double is about 17 with 307 zeroes after it.

You have to be very careful here since most of those zeros will never change.

A double precision float number has about 16 digits that can be multiplied by up to about 10^308

(For example, in the Matlab programming language the maximum real

number is 1.79769313486232*10^308)

You never get the full accuracy of a ~308 digit number.

In other words, 10^300 + 1 = 10^300 when using a finite 16 digit number system.

This means that, eventutally, the exp of a player would "naturally"

cap, at a far lower level, when the exp gained from an action would

be in the 17th digit position of his skill exp.

Hope this helps

This moronic cap conversation comes along every half a year or so. There is enough training in rs, enough grind and repetition. How can anyone be as stupid to want more of the same? Lets face it, rs is the most skilless game after the introduction and release of commodor and atari type games. And you ppl want more grind? Amazing
You play runescape because......?

RSN: Kingdom196.

... There is enough training in rs, enough grind and repetition.

True, but there are 2 sides to every story.

And the other side is that RS doesn't sell new mega expansions

like EQ, WoW, GW, etc that offer greatly expanded content.

Jagex does that (for now) to allow "lower" income players to be able

to play the game and not "finish" it. (Well, most players, anyway)

In other words, Jagex has substituted grinding for content.

Personally, I would rather have mega expansions but the target

market of RS, (youth), has limited financial capability compared to the

target markets for EQ, Wow, etc.

How can anyone be as stupid to want more of the same?

I think that what players probably want is increased capability.

Higher caps allow that.

Lets face it, rs is the most skilless game ....

Well, it is a less complex game compared to others.

But then, RS can be played within minutes on a public library computer by players with very little money.

I think that Jagex's target market and game implementation has lead

to certain compromises to be able to "grab" the youth niche market.

Jagex has decided to not compete directly with larger, more sophisticated

games like Wow or EQ.

According to some data that was presented in these forums a few weeks ago,

RS has more players than EQ and Vanguard.

So, in that sense, Jagex has made a smart decision to "do" RS the

way that they have.

And you ppl want more grind? Amazing

Nah, we want more fun from higher hits, more hitpoints, bigger nukes, etc.

But to be fair to Jagex, they have made training in P2P easier than it

was back when only 15000 people were playing the game.

(Prayer and Crafting come to mind.)

So, Jagex's treatment of RS is fluid and subject to change (gimp or nerf)

The trend in the past few years is to make skill training easier

and then release more skills, gear, and monsters to keep us happy.

He has probably quit but need to stay on this forum to be "above everyone else"

Pathetic if you ask me.

Stephleref.png

Pathetic if you ask me.

ya well he has a good point.

• 2 weeks later...

Pathetic if you ask me.

You lil [bleep]er. U "probably" weight in at 400 pounds and cant move away from the computer without an elevator. Feels good when u get ditched for nothing eh?

I still play the game, though im not on as much as i used to be. I stay on this forums becasue i like to be updated what goes on when i dont have the time to log on. Not becasue im "above" anyone, and if you would look at my posts ud hardly ever see ( if at all) me putting down anyone. Im definatly not the fan of "above" to an extent u seem to be comfartable with. The funny thing is that the other guy actually asked me "why do i play if i dont becasue i adore grinding away.." I play becasue i like this game "INSPITE OF ITS GRINDING ATRIBUTES".

Moving on...

I thought Jagex have stated in the past that they actually can't raise the level limit due to how they designed Runescape? And even if they could make it so, all the stats would have to be wiped off everyones characters..

asrhasrh.jpg