combat is that all new players want to do?

ckyowns

Well, surely it's not all that new players want to do, but it certainly does get a heavy focus, both in RuneScape and other media. Other popular MMORPGs like World of Warcraft focus mostly on combat, as to many video games (Which is a common prerequisite to RuneScape, the common video game)

Now, obviously there are exceptions, but I believe there is a heavy combat focus from newer players, derived both from the general attitude in RuneScape as well as popular culture.

blackmbnaval,Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

What do you see when you look at another player? Their combat level. Combat is the most obvious way to improve your character in Runescape, so of course it's the first thing a lot of players do.

that i understand

O Hai dere hans!

Because i can 0wn j00 w1th my 99 str :XD:

Ya because they hate the word noob i guess :-k

But combat is fun u hit higher and die less. I actually listen to tutorial island :).

Thats why i skill moderatly.

But i focused on 1 skill(smithing) :)

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Yup, as someone already said, everyone see's your combat level, so logically, it is the quickest way to improve your character when you start (For the first time, not making a second skiller/pure/noob account when you already know the ropes).

Anyway, who doesn't enjoy killing things? :twisted:

And yeah, i think most people do listen on Tut. Island. Its not uncommon to see a lower level in Lumbridge area asking for help on how to get started with crafting or some other "complicated" skill (lets face it, who was 100% sure on all the steps with crafting some leather or jewellery when they first started ::' ) but you hardly ever see anyone asking for help with cooking, mining or other simple skills that are taught in Tut. island.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Combat is easy to do right from the word go. Once you finish tutorial island what is right next to you as you start? Men. If you go outside what is there? Chickens, goblins and various other low level animals for low levels to train on. If they are just starting the game they wouldn't know their way around the map very easily and as combat is staring them in the face from the moment they start then it's just an easy thing to do (and probably more fun than other skills are at level 1).

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

:ohnoes: :wall: im sorry english?

That is English, you pusillanimous abomination. :wink:

Again in English?

yup

Basically, it means you suck. =)

OT: Almost everyone does combat to move up the ranks of being looked at by others:

1-9 Newb

10-19 Goblin Basher

20-29 Cow Slaughterer

30-39 Spider Fighter

40-49 Pest Exterminator (PC Nub FTW!)

50-59 Scorpion

60-69 Moss Giant Berserker

70-79 Ogre Masher

80-89 Demon Beater (Me!)

90-99 Dragon Slayer

100+ God Wars Master

Lewagold2Sig2.jpg

^Clicky for Q Cape Blog^

MY SIGGIE AND BANNER SHOP

Killing things = stronger character. Why wouldnt new players want that, then they get too used to training combat.

P2P offers more and better ways of making money than f2p. That's one of the cons you just have to play with if you don't feel like having 1 bigmac meal less per month.

Its hardly a new thing.

Among even long term players they assume low combat = noob

quest with no combat or combat xp or combat related reward = pointless

any update that doesn't invovle fighting = pointless

I wouldn't say its a view that MOST hold, but it alos isn't something exculsive to NEW players

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I trained combat first. :anxious: I guess it's because combat affects your combat level that other people can see much faster. If you have a high combat level, you won't be called a noob I guess. That's what I thought anyway..

j0xPu5R.png

Again in English?

im sure he means "widen your vocabulary u thick piece of [cabbage]"

ot: new players should be given a test on departure from tutorial isle

My Goal Signature

With recent "awesome" equipment like GS, Bandos, DBow, attention will divert more to combat than before.

RS is becoming a linear, combat based game. I blame Jagex because their strategy to play on peoples egos/desire to "own" is shortsighted.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

for one thing, its one the few things they know how to do, and it dosent require gathering resouces in order to train it. (a thing many newbs arent good at early on)

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Again in English?

It means cowerdly or timid, lacking corage and resolution.

ANyways I think combat is proboly the first thing most people do because you can get started on it right away. Plus you know everyone else can see it so that affects it to. Then you get into skilling a bit. And eventualy you come back to combat. At least thats how it works for me: combat a bit than skill a few different skills, changing as I get bored, than go back and gain a combat level or 2. Once im quite tired of plain killing I just skill again, normally working on about 10 different skills at least before combat is up again. And theres normally questing dispersed in teh skilling part of the cycle.