The future?

T-Roach

a long time ago ppl thought that today would be like that, and even if we get the technology to make those things its unlikely that humankind would even be existing due to the ozone depleting and the icecaps melting.

6p8kx0z.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a long time ago ppl thought that today would be like that, and even if we get the technology to make those things its unlikely that humankind would even be existing due to the ozone depleting and the icecaps melting.

Technology doubles every couple of years. I don't think the ice caps and ozone depletion will affect us until at least a century. We should have "unimaginable" technology in our lifetime.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Technology doubles every couple of years. I don't think the ice caps and ozone depletion will affect us until at least a century. We should have "unimaginable" technology in our lifetime.

I bet they said that 50 years ago.

Better technology, better standard of living. Third world countries will eventually become modernized. Cures will be found for cancer, AIDS, etc. China and India will become superpowers, surpassing the US and European nations. The economies of Arabic nations will collapse as demand for oil drops, and they will have to rely on tourism. Global warming will cause many problems, but temperatures will begin to decrease after a couple of centuries.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Eh, you never know. The technology for that kind of stuff could be built underground with investments from rich entrepeneurs desiring said technologies (i.e., what rich guy wouldn'y cough up the money for the technology to mind swap, if it resulted in him being guarenteed immortality). Other technologies could be secretly created by the government and police. And others could be accepted by society up front, with no major revolutions to fight against them. Sure, I'll admit that at least a few of those technologies will be stopped in mid- or pre-creation by the public, but you can't deny that it's still possible for them to be built without the people knowing.

Im not doubting it could be built, I am doubting your assumption of the destruction of morality through the government, i mean your visions are as extreme as Orwell's 1984. The only situation in which things like that happen is through appauling politics (AKA China) and that is never likely going to affect Europe or America or happen to anywhere near that scale anywhere in the world.

Look at America for example, people get pissed off when taking their right to bear arms away, imagine if all this technology you suggest was attempted to be enforced?

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Im not doubting it could be built, I am doubting your assumption of the destruction of morality through the government, i mean your visions are as extreme as Orwell's 1984. The only situation in which things like that happen is through appauling politics (AKA China) and that is never likely going to affect Europe or America or happen to anywhere near that scale anywhere in the world.

Look at America for example, people get pissed off when taking their right to bear arms away, imagine if all this technology you suggest was attempted to be enforced?

Pfft, wouldn't say it's quite as f***ed up as Brave New World, but ya, my vision's a little odd :P . Though, take out the "mind swapping" thing (just remember hearing that somewhere), and I think it'd be a pretty normal picture :-k .

And I don't think I made an assumption of a loss of morality in the government :-k . Can you point out where I stated something like that? I mean, when I was talking about the gov. building things, I was thinking more of things like building cameras into people's retinas (GITS :lol: ), being able to gather information from anyone at any time, like reading their mind, etc, but only for the "common good", as in helping the police get their job done, especially when they desperately need info. I'm just thinking that with the good of each new device comes the people willing to corrupt it's use iz all.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Without going into the pro/cons of these matters, I find it hard to judge these kind of things into good/bad categories.

* The decline/end of fossile fuels and the necessary uprise of green alternatives. There's no way around this one...

* The gaps between populations and population groups will continue to grow, on several levels (radicalisation): poor/wealthy; educated/non-educated; democratic/non-democratic; western/eastern; left/right

* Paradoxically enough, globalisation will grow larger also.

* Further technological growth and dependance on it, hopefully not to the exclusion of nature. It may sound very hippie & Ayurveda, but people need to have their feet connected with the bare ground and grass sometimes...

I hope we have a quick future without oil. There are plenty of possibilities to think about that we could live cleaner & cheaper. Also, I hope we find a solution for Africa, because that's really needed.

In general I wish the future to be a happier place for everybody (clicḫ̩̉̉, but it's true) but in the first place a cleaner environment.

signature4s.jpg

Pros: This virus, pest, and menace we call humanity will finally disappear off this planet and stop its plague of destruction.

Okay, humans may royally suck, but it's not like we're supposed to be rooting for a giant rock here -_-".

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Pros: This virus, pest, and menace we call humanity will finally disappear off this planet and stop its plague of destruction.

Okay, humans may royally suck, but it's not like we're supposed to be rooting for a giant rock here -_-".

I'm not rooting for the giant rock, but the things on it. I'm a big lover of nature and all that good stuff. But, I'm also very hypocritical as I love eating meat and do other not-so-envirnmentally-great things. I love human life, but we really are a plague to this planet and everything that lives here.

Cowards can't block Warriors.

Okay, so just why is cyborgism, "mind swapping" (which I'll choose to interprate as "digitized human consciousness" 'cause then I get it) and a bunch of all other stuff mentioned cons?

Why are they "immorral", and why would we want to resist the changes they'll bring to our society?

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

I'm not rooting for the giant rock, but the things on it. I'm a big lover of nature and all that good stuff. But, I'm also very hypocritical as I love eating meat and do other not-so-envirnmentally-great things. I love human life, but we really are a plague to this planet and everything that lives here.

And humans aren't part of nature, AMIRITE? :wink:

I only hope that the future will be cool before I die. :P

Overpopularity should be able to be 'healed' in around 1000 years, according to the show 'Futurama'. We could live on the moon, mars, etc if they invented Air holding domes big enough etc.

Or they could build giant roads going through the sea's, and houses along the way? Idfk. :-k

I dont need a siggy no moar.