What Jagex Rule would you Remove

pipeelbakan

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule 1 should be changed. Censor evasion out, and all-out insults in. Basically in RS nowadays you can say **** you, and can't be reported because "the censor did it's job." Everyone knows what the **** means, so really the censor did sod all.

If people are over 13 they should be able to chose whether they want a censor in the game or not. I.e, have an optional censor. In this way parents can look after their little kiddies who go on this dangerous game and stop them seeing bad words, and at the same time, people who have a life can type and see whatever the hell they like: they're gonna hear a lot worse IRL, and if they don't like it they can use the ignore list, it's what it's there for.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

I belive that the filter is to strict for a 13+ game, but then no one on tif should be nieve enough to belive that RuneScape is only aimed at 13+. We all know they target younger children as well, and honestly, I play a game with teenagers that has NO chat filter, and belive you me it does not improve the game in any way shape or form. I don't think any of there rules are there without reason and none of them should be removed.

The rule about ad blocking is a strange one.

There is no way that Jagex would be able to know if you are blocking the ads or not, but if they can "scare" people into thinking they're going to get banned for it then why not, after all Jagex wants more click-throughs for their advertisers.

Now you're going to laugh at this, but when I was a F2P I blocked the ads using a piece of paper stuck onto my screen with a bit of tape. Rudimentary but effective. :mrgreen:

The rule about ad blocking is a strange one.

There is no way that Jagex would be able to know if you are blocking the ads or not, but if they can "scare" people into thinking they're going to get banned for it then why not, after all Jagex wants more click-throughs for their advertisers.

Now you're going to laugh at this, but when I was a F2P I blocked the ads using a piece of paper stuck onto my screen with a bit of tape. Rudimentary but effective. :mrgreen:

flsed, I refer you to a post I made earlier on, in positive response to another who posted before me about it... Here's the link...

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=5210129#p5210129

...and just to save you time, I re-quote myself here...

[quote name=At viewtopic.php?p=5210129#p5210129 ... D_V_Devnull]

I don't agree with rule 15 from a security aspect. If I were to run noscript (ff extension), about half of the adverts don't show up.(Those involving javascript and flash, that aren't from http://www.runescape.com) Granted, the odds of one of them containing anything malicious is slim, but it could happen.

I fully agree with mchainmail about rule 15... Also, there are parents who have a house policy that doesn't allow display of adverts, therefore forcing the person playing RuneScape to be auto-violating that rule. The rule is effectively, in its' very essence, fully and completely unfair, and should be done away with. The parents (and/or person playing) have paid for the speed and bandwidth they have enabled to them for accessing the net anyway, and therefore have a right to choose what and what not comes through. (This normally puts control of the bandwidth out of the reach of the person playing RuneScape, I shall note again here.) Oh... One more thing. Sometimes the ISP is blocking the advertisement. Guess what? This means that the player who isn't seeing the advert (just like with parents controlling their house policy) is auto-violating Rule 15 again. But, and here's the kicker, in all these cases, that means that the fault is not actually on the person playing and they should not be banned for it. =;

I can say, if I ever see anyone wrongfully banned over this rule, I will raise hell. :x ... 'Nuff said.

... and bid you a good night. Enjoy the reading, because you're right. Rule 15 is fully unfair, and possibly illegal... Especially seeing as I've had to help troubleshoot systems that have come to harm because people were dumb enough to follow such an unfair rule... And Jagex calls themselves "Security Advocates"??? They're nowhere close!!! :ugeek:

~Mr. D. V. "Even I know the truth..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

That doesn't stop the lag, and that's the only reason I'd ever block an ad.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

To some extent, rule 7. I think if Jagex isn't going to make the gameplay in RuneScape more convenient themselves, we should be able to write programs to do that ourselves. I've played an MMO before where macroing was allowed as long as you didn't AFK macro. It was very nice to be able to avoid so much of the painful clicking.

...Or they could actually go through the game and remove some of the excessive clicking. A prime example; prayer training with a gilded altar. I really hate having to right click "use" on every bone and click back over on the altar. It's such an unnecessarily painful process, especially when you're doing it for an hour or more at a time.

Why don't people think of what will happen if they allowed swearing:

Look at immature people saying noob. Just imagine how many people would be spamming swear words. >_<

Gay,lesbian and homosexual shouldn't though, its kinda mean as being gay is normal to people and I have no problem with them.

But as they use as a offense then it can be reportable.

To be honest all the tiny rules make a huge difference.

They're all pretty good. :)

I mean, they're doing us ok for now, aren't they?

My opinion has changed so much in a year and a bit. :lol:
So... What is your opinion now, eh? :-s

~D. V. "I gotta ask..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

• 2 weeks later...
Bump, Anyone notice no rule 10? :B
Double-check the rules listing on the main website... As well as the News listings... Jagex is still applying the rule, but they have decided that they will choose when to apply... Further, they have decided it is not necessary for the user to have an option to send a report in for that rule number... Now, while I disagree with them taking away the option, there is nothing I can do about it except tell people that it happened. :|

~D. V. "It sucks, doesn't it?" Devnull

the cencor is indeed too strict, but i'm not talking about curse words. there are word combinations and words that aren't even proper curses that are blocked also; per example:

* suck/sucks

* poof (yes thats blocked, fcol! their randoms make that "sound" all the time)

* sj, (yes thats cencored #-o )

*damn (one of their npc's says it in a quest! :wall: )

while other things that should be cencored aren't:

* F*** everyone knows what it means, don't they?

* curse words from foreign languages (dutch spanish italian german and french to only speak of european languages)

* making words: like f[][k or se>< they should be 'starred' :roll:

rida81.png

Rida81.png

became quest point master on: 21 dec 2007 2:43 pm

I don't think any of the rules should be removed - they are there for a reason.

I do agree with most that the chat filter could use some major updating - if they can add words and letter-combinations to their block list, they can certainly add words and letters that don't get filtered out.

My one friend in-game lives on the opposite side of the world as I do - when I'm playing at night, he always tells me that he's "going ** ******."

It takes me a moment to remember that the chat filter blocks out "to school..."

Honestly...

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

• 3 weeks later...

rule 1 has really upset me over the past couple of years, i've been muted for sayin stuff thats not even bad. and they should actually look into people that provoke you too, i mean some people act like jerks just to find a reason to report you, so annoying.

living at draynor till i get 99 wc

Even though the first thought for me would be removing rule 7, as I have gotten banned many times for it (3 temp bans on main, 2 noob accs perm banned, etc), I realize I wouldn't have an advantage compared to others - if everyone would macro.. :ohnoes:

I'd say, remove: Encouraging others to break rules

and make the filter much nicer.

Rule 1, definitely.

They filter fgsfds. They should really fix the filters to *not* filter certain words. It can be done, I know because catablepon used to be filtered.

MR. OCTOPUS BEARD DISAGREES!

30259it.jpgNo, THAT's what she said.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read below.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read above.

[hide=OMG DRAGON KITESHIELD IN-GAME!!!!]rickrollad5.png

Never gonna give you up...[/hide]

I cant use a chair, evidence that Lucien's men are sitting on them.