Steroids/Doping/Other substances that give you an edge

T-Roach

What are your thoughts on substances such as steroids?

Helpful? Dangerous?

Should be legal? Should stay illegal?

Any personal experiences?

edit

just clarifying that im not even thinking about using steroids =D

Doctor of Dental Surgery-2014

Medical Doctor-2018?

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon-2024?

If you do all that and still don't win then you need to quit.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you do all that and still don't win then you need to quit.

That, or everyone else is using more steroids and stuff.

The point of competitions are to show how good you are; not how good you can make yourself artificially. If you have to resort to steroids to try and win, they you aren't trying hard enough and you should just try harder.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

The only experience of steroids I have is when I had to have some for my asthma when it started flaring up real bad about two months ago. So, in medical terms, yes they can be very useful. Too much is obviously dangerous though, I think (don't hold me to it, not done any research or anything) because they overstimulate cells in the brain and cause damage through osmotic pressure.

In terms of sporting, well if you needed steroids to deal with an illness, surely you shouldn't be in a fit state to compete anyway? Otherwise, it's cheating, and is rightfully being clamped down on in all sports.

What are your thoughts on substances such as steroids?

Helpful? Dangerous?

Should be legal? Should stay illegal?

Any personal experiences?

Well, my thoughts on the matter is that noone should use drugs to improve their performance in sports or stuff like that, no matter how pathetic you are at it. Drugs really mess with people lives, so, while they may help you run faster or be stronger that everyone else, you're mentality (Not sure if that's the right world) is going downhill fast, with mood swings and stuff like that. Personal experiences? Nah, I've never done drugs...

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Performance enhancing drugs should remain illegal within organized sport.

If some nub wants to take it for their own benifits in the gym or whatever - meh; they can deal with the consequences on their own. That said - there are some drugs, while banned within sport, that improve ones ability to recover faster. Like frindge performance enhancing drugs, and that's a bit of a grey area - bit of a yes, and no in there.

Too much of a good thing is dangerous, and even a little bit in the wrong hands is dangerous. Anyhow - I'm with matt; avoid them if you can. If you need to take them, you should quit and find something you're better at without needing an artificial boost.

With regards to sport, you're only cheating yourself. Cliche, I know, but if you achieve and win but know you've broken the rules, you'll never be able to truly appreciate and enjoy what you have.

What's the point in that? That's the main reason why we compete, we play to win.

If they removed all steroid restrictions from the sport, they would certainly get a lot more interesting... of course more and more athletes would drop dead where they stand for seemingly no reason, and the country that's willing to invest most in its research would sweep the olympics. I say keep them for medical use only.

Wow, when I read the topic name I thought "what does heroin have to do with steroids?" lol

Steroids should be legal in my opinion, but I also think controlled substances should be too. If somebody wants to destroy their body they should be legally obligated to do so, it is their property not the government's property. So, yeah I think steroid use should be legal for adults. Making it legal would give everybody the opportunity to do them instead of just the ones that can get their hands on them. Thus removing the edge that other people get from them by giving everybody the chance to get the edge from them.

If it was legal then everyone would do them who takes sport seriously. Those who play sport for enjoyment but are naturally very good wouldn't take them and then get left behind. With no steroids, sport is a more fair playing field which is very important.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Making it legal would give everybody the opportunity to do them instead of just the ones that can get their hands on them. Thus removing the edge that other people get from them by giving everybody the chance to get the edge from them.

Yeah, because everyone has the same amount of money to obtain the equal amount. >.<

That's a very hard question to answer. Because for me, the issue is, where do you draw the line? No one has any objection to high performance energy drinks before an event, but drugs which take it to the next level are illegal.

I think in sport it should be illegal, the drugs are too dangerous and it keeps the sport's and athlete's integrity. But what if there was a drug/steroid that didn't have the nasty side-effects but did boost your performance? As a general rule I wouldn't be against someone taking that for personal gains, in fact i'm going to read a book soon called Enhancing Evolution: The Ethical Case For Making Better People, in which the author argues in favour of using (safe) performance enhancing drugs (amongst other things). I kind of agree with him, but i'll be interested to see what arguments he has.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

With regards to sport, you're only cheating yourself. Cliche, I know, but if you achieve and win but know you've broken the rules, you'll never be able to truly appreciate and enjoy what you have.

What's the point in that? That's the main reason why we compete, we play to win.

yeah and win loads of money as a cash prize. :roll:

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Steroids should be legal in my opinion, but I also think controlled substances should be too. If somebody wants to destroy their body they should be legally obligated to do so, it is their property not the government's property.

Legally you do not own your own body, at least in British law anyway. Since that would theoretically permit you to sell your organs.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Steroids should be legal in my opinion, but I also think controlled substances should be too. If somebody wants to destroy their body they should be legally obligated to do so, it is their property not the government's property. So, yeah I think steroid use should be legal for adults. Making it legal would give everybody the opportunity to do them instead of just the ones that can get their hands on them. Thus removing the edge that other people get from them by giving everybody the chance to get the edge from them.

yeah guess who pays for the hospital bill when they fall ill and need a kidney transplant THE TAX PAYER. (in the UK anyway)

steroids are bad for virtually all parts of your body, we have a poster in the gym showing what steroids do to the human body and it's like 50x worse than smoking. + in competitive sports athletes get drug tested so they'll just get banned for substance abuse..

A lot of people seem to think that in lifting weights once you use steroids you can kiss goodbye any hard work and you can get by on doing a half assed job.

You don't take steroids and become Mr. Olympia the next week while sitting on your behind that whole time. It still takes years (decades) of hard training to achieve their physique.

I don't really have an opinion on the issue. I feel people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their bodies (within reason of course)

I also think that like guns, people that really want them will get them whether they are legal or not; which is the whole issue of controversy anyway- people using them while they are illegal.

If they were legal there would be no unfair advantage and no more wasted resources by companies that test athletes and goverment to track down users and sellers. Also, the safety of the drug itself might even improve since it is now legal it will be open to much more research.

my $.02

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

Well done, you've earnt a 'duh'.

I never said I don't understand why they do it, money is clearly the motive. But the ulterior motive for all athletes, especially the great ones, is the thrill of competition and the desire to be the best.

Well done, you've earnt a 'duh'.

I never said I don't understand why they do it, money is clearly the motive. But the ulterior motive for all athletes, especially the great ones, is the thrill of competition and the desire to be the best.

sorry I didn't know you knew ALL the athletes, I'm just being awkward today [bleep] me.

Medically acceptable, Socially unacceptable.

For example my youngest brother had Polychondritis and needed steroids to help him walk again and use his limbs.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.