Looking Back on Skill Capes, A whole Year Ago

DRUMINATOR17

Skill Capes have not affected me at all.

I got 99 Cooking before Skill Capes were released so Lobster price

change did not affect me.

I have done and still doing what I have planned on doing over 1 year ago.

Oh..and I am not member. :P

But it has affected many members.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only skill that I got 99 in for the cape was cooking. I already had 99 fletching and 97 magic before the capes were announced, and I was planning to get 99 magic regardless. Range stemmed from using it as my main form of combat and runecrafting came from just enjoying the skill.

So this update made me get 99 cooking.

The problem here, like with Burger King hats and so many other things, is insecure people who want things to show off or "get respect".

It's a ridiculous concept. You don't get respect from objects, but from how you treat others. There might be exceptions for certain rare capes, but really, what are you respecting here, the number of hours someone plays a game?

Some people do like to get 99s quickly, others don't care. I'm combat level 121 with around 1900 total and I just got my first 99 last week.

I agree :lol:

I play for fun and not to impress some other player.

When I see a player with a 99 skill then I think to myself,

"Well, that's "good", but that must have been really boring to get!"

Every player can certainly play in whatever style suits them,

but grinding was never very fun for me.

Unfortunately, RS is heavy on grind and light on content.

I raise skills to be fully competent (aka "Can do everything allowed") in that skill.

IMHO, it always seemed kinda silly to me to grind for hundreds

of hours in a skill and get no additional capabilities...

It has given people more of a drive to get a skill to 99. The capes look nice, nice bonusses and something to show off.

I don't think it has made more people train more, it just made them train more in one skill.

so it has had an effect on the xp spread of people over skills and the prices linked to the skills.

The problem here, like with Burger King hats and so many other things, is insecure people who want things to show off or "get respect".

It's a ridiculous concept. You don't get respect from objects, but from how you treat others. There might be exceptions for certain rare capes, but really, what are you respecting here, the number of hours someone plays a game?

Some people do like to get 99s quickly, others don't care. I'm combat level 121 with around 1900 total and I just got my first 99 last week.

These "objects" symbolize an achievement, and people will honor those achievements. It's like an Olympic gold medal, they are just objects but they carry an insane amount of respect. Same goes for rares, they symbolize incredible wealth.

And what are you getting respected for? You're getting respected for getting an item that very few people worldwide have been able to obtain, you're getting respected for your patience and determination. People buy or get things to show off all the time. It doesn't mean the person is insecure, they are just motivated.

The insecure people are the people who think they can never accomplish anything and so they just go around bashing everyone's achievements and criticizing them for "trying to achieve respect in an online game".

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

It has changed the way in which I play, I now want to get no 99s at all. Even if I do get a 99 I won't buy the cape for it. I would want to get a 99 for myself, not to show off a flashy item. If I wanted to do that I'd get a phat. You should be proud of 99s and people with combat related capes (excluding slayer) get flamed for pcing.

Exactly. The introduction of Skill Capes have created a wave of 15 year olds desperate to gain respect from others by Cooking for a few weeks or whatever skill they're going for.

I hate Skill Capes, and rue the day they came out.

You should get a 99 skill if you actually enjoy the skill enough to train it that far, and not, to just show off by ploughing hundreds of hours into a skill you hate.

Kids these days.. :|

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Skill capes have changed the game a whole lot. Slayer has always been my favorite skill, but I doubt I would have ever gone past 90 if skill capes had never come out.

I respect people who go for the cape because they like the skill,yes even fletching, I really liked the skill about a year and a half ago, so I got it as my first 99, but I don't respect them if they want it to show off, or so they think they have permission to look down on others.

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

The Skill Cape update has changed my way of playing totally.

If it wasn't for the capes I'd never of got 99 Fletching and currently wouldn't be going for 99 Woodcutting.

It added a whole new look to 99s.You can tell it is the same with other players by the amount of 99s that have happened in the last year.

One of the best updates ever in my opinion

I don't want to grind to a 99 at all, let alone for a cape. I think the update is good for those who want recognition of their achievements, although personally I think there are some more important things in the game which don't always get recognised.

In a way skill capes were one of the smartest updates Jagex ever came up with. When it comes to skills where higher levels means that you unlock new abilities, Jagex doesn't like to max skills out at 99 anymore because they know that they will eventually become outdated and can't be expanded (take Smithing for example). So most people stopped at the level where you have mastered the skill (90 Crafting, 85 Farming, 82 Herblore, etc). With the skill capes, Jagex has given people a reason to go for 99 in these skills, while still keeping the skills open for high level expansion in the future.

Berrakus.png

Dragon Drops - 10 Meds, 9 Legs, 5 Skirts, 2 Left Half

PM me to have any potions made or crafting done

I've never been in intrested in high skils. My highest skills was 70 for a long time, just because i dont like the long time to lvl high skills. I just played the game and had fun. But a Few months ago, there was a change. I decided to get my fletchin up to 60, and i kept goin even after that, just because i like it. Now i'm 83 flethc and goin for my first 99, just because i like to fletch (this might sound strange to you :P)

yarrrrrrr.png

It scares me that it has been a whole year since these things came out.

I mean, it seems like they haven't been around long at all, which is because there have been so many big updates that preceded them. It makes me feel like I have been playing this game for FAR too long, which I have.

The fact that so many people are saying this thing was a huge and runescape-changing update is scary as well. I mean it hasn't affected me at all, I feel like I have sat through too many of jagex's attempts to change how players think and play.

When an entire year seems like a month, you know you are a loser who has played one game for far too long. I mean... I just think about all the people playing now that STARTED playing and saw skill capes (probably fletching or cooking, lol) their first week in the game, and I shudder.

When I started playing, 99 was not just a goal that seemed impossible, it was something that no one ever even thought about it, because it WAS impossible.

Scary things to think about, lol.

~Dave

In almost complete retirement.

goodbye0vx.png

I've only been playing for six months.

I thought skillcapes were out since day one. xD

So had no effect on me tbh.

I LOVE woodcutting.

Eejits.png

"Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better."

i was a noob when it came out ive only played seriously for about a year tbh before then kinda didnt.

high skills before skillcapes were impressibe now everyone has 99 cooking..

people spread thier skills evenly for example if n0valyfe had started playing today he would have prob had 10 99s at the end of his first year instead of 3

people instead of getting in one day 18k rc exp, 30k fish exp, 40k cook exp, 50k wc exp, 70k str exp in one day...... they would get say 600k hunter exp this emphasized training one skill at a time til a goal so instead of seeing people with almost all 80 with a few 90 skills you see people with a few 99s and some 50s people trained less balance..

but then again they still train balanced today and idk much about what people did before skillcapes lol.

StarViv.png

im gonna be swamped by em0t3 PL0X after i get my slayer cape... :ohnoes:

Might want to stop bragging about what you're going to do 'when you have your slayer cape' and actually get it. You're only level 63, you've got a long ways to go buddy.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

It changed the way I approach the game bigtime. I used to be about the drops; now I am about the skills.

But I try to wear my Legends Cape whenever possible. :)

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

im gonna be swamped by em0t3 PL0X after i get my slayer cape... :ohnoes:

Might want to stop bragging about what you're going to do 'when you have your slayer cape' and actually get it. You're only level 63, you've got a long ways to go buddy.

He has a point, even I have ages to go.

This is mainly just a post to get rid of my 666 post count, im superstistious this close to halloween yes.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

yeah i used to hate firemaking now i have all the logs in my bank for lvl 99 \'

quick question can you drop untrimmed cape to get a trimmed cape when you have more 99 skills?

I thik they automatically become trimmed, not sure though. I believe this update may have been the biggest update (in terms of relating to the economy and how people play the game) ever, other than RS2 of course =D. It jumped raw fish prices, log prices, ore prices... Basically everything. It also saw a huge increase in 'powerleveling' stats just to get the 99. I'm doing fletching right now, but I've vowed never to burn-out a skill again, I burnt out on fletching a couple levels back and took a break for a month or two. Now I'm getting it because it aggravates me to have 96.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

It just made people race to get the easiest and fastest 99 just to get a cape. This is like Godwars when people sold their rares to buy those swords all rares dropped 2m-50m that day.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I been wearing my quest cape since the day it came out

Damn jagex good fight trying to keep me away from my quest cape

PS

Dru your still a noob with untrimmed HP

gorillabones.png

Barrow Items: 45 (3 Guthan Spears)(12/25/06)(1/1/07)(04/07/07)

Proud Owner Of Quest Cape SINCE the day it came out

Got Visage July 31, 2007

Visage #2 August 4th, 2008

AFTER ONE HOUR of googeling i'v came to the conclusion that there is no game called real life :evil: