Going back in time...Impossible?

Who

My friend and I were discussing an interesting topic on time travel. I'm not in a Physics course yet, so I'm not sure if any of this is even right, but here goes.

I just thought speed and time are related. Speed is really a measurement of time. See, after 70 or 80 years, people usually die. So the time for a human life is at the speed of 70-80 years... Or say you run 10 kilometers in an hour.... that's 10km/h.

And if so, wouldn't time have the same properties as speed?

For example, they are both present in this 3D world and the higher speed you are at the faster time goes (that's proven if you go faster than the speed of light you can travel forward in time)

If so... then wouldn't that prove my theory on time travel?

So right now we are going at an unknown speed of time... sort of like you don't really know how fast you run when your not timing.

Let's call this the SOT (speed of time) and the current speed n.

If we somehow manipulate the SOT lto go faster than the speed of light, and the SOT becomes bigger than n, we will go forward in time because time will be faster.

If we decrease the SOT to less than n, then we will be moving in slow motion.

If the SOT is at 0, than time stops.

But since the speed cannot go below zero, neither can time, which makes it impossible to travel back in time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to contemplate is scientific therum for a minute...

Not a bad Idea, but have you ever considered how far you'd travel in an instant if you were traveling forward in time! It would be a hell of a long way away thats for sure :shock: .

First post :D

And this is an excellent example of what the second quote in my sig recomends...

EDIT: Have you been watching back to the future lately?

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Most theory suggests that it may be possible to move forward in time, but not backwards.

If you want to view the past, you could still do so if we had both of the following...

* FTL travel

* Extremely powerful telescopes.

You could jump out to say 60 light years with our FLT drive, then train our telescope on Earth and watch "live" WW2 combat.

LOL, that's about the only way I can think of virtual time travel

Harrington.gif

If you went back in time, you'd go to a different dimension, or possibly create that dimension, and that dimension would be flawed with physics and inhabitable. If by some odd random chance the dimension did become stable, and you traveled back to 60 years ago(but in another dimension you created-or was already created??), it would in no way interact with our time. Or so I think.

But I don't think traveling back in time is the right saying. If quantum physics(am I right?) is correct, then you'd do what I said above if you 'time traveled'. Dimension traveled?

Also, I'd suggest looking through the two topics created before this about time travel...though I have no links in my pockets.

If quantum physics(am I right?)

Yes this is the area of quantum physics :)

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

I'm pretty sure it is possible to go forward, but not backwards. I read an article that said the faster you go, the faster time goes around the object moving. They say when you go on a plane trip you go slightly forward in time, but it's only a milisecond or two. The article said if you could orbit a black hole at very high speeds you would go forward in time. I wish i remember where I read that... :-k

soldersig.jpg

Time travel paradoxes are pretty mindmelting...

Let's say you want to know what it's like to commit a murder. You take a time machine trip back to some random city somewhere in time, kill, and come back. Then you go back to five minutes before the murder and stop yourself. Will you still have the experience?

Let's say you want to know what it's like to commit a murder. You take a time machine trip back to some random city somewhere in time, kill, and come back. Then you go back to five minutes before the murder and stop yourself. Will you still have the experience?

...HEADACHES! lol. I'm not smart enough to even guess... :-w

soldersig.jpg

Wow, this thread is just in time, because I came up with an interesting question earlier today: If we see into the past when we look at stars, because of the time it takes the light to reach us, would time appear to speed up as we got closer to them because the light is reaching us faster than it did before, and we are moving towards it faster?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Watch "The Langoliers" if you want a good going back in time scenario.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Wow, this thread is just in time, because I came up with an interesting question earlier today: If we see into the past when we look at stars, because of the time it takes the light to reach us, would time appear to speed up as we got closer to them because the light is reaching us faster than it did before, and we are moving towards it faster?

Good question.

I believe that if a Star somehow moved significantly, we'd see both the star in it's current form and in it's past form both at the same time. Like, some stars out there we can still see the light from, but they may not even be there anymore, or for sure have changed greatly.

"If I did break into a hotel room to steal my trophies, this is how it happened."

[...]

I think you've overcomplicating a simple idea- the faster you go, the slower time goes. You can't go slower than the 0, and you can't go faster than the speed of light, at which time would stop, and thus that is the interval within which time can dilate. All this n and SOT stuff, not really necessary :P .

Most theory suggests that it may be possible to move forward in time, but not backwards.

If you want to view the past, you could still do so if we had both of the following...

* FTL travel

* Extremely powerful telescopes.

You could jump out to say 60 light years with our FLT drive, then train our telescope on Earth and watch "live" WW2 combat.

LOL, that's about the only way I can think of virtual time travel

Too bad gravitational distortion would mess up the image beyond repair :P .

If you went back in time, you'd go to a different dimension, or possibly create that dimension, and that dimension would be flawed with physics and inhabitable. If by some odd random chance the dimension did become stable, and you traveled back to 60 years ago(but in another dimension you created-or was already created??), it would in no way interact with our time. Or so I think.

But I don't think traveling back in time is the right saying. If quantum physics(am I right?) is correct, then you'd do what I said above if you 'time traveled'. Dimension traveled?

Also, I'd suggest looking through the two topics created before this about time travel...though I have no links in my pockets.

But you can't go back in time. Any hypotheses about time travel into the past are merely just Sci-fi based random guesses, for now anyways.

If quantum physics(am I right?)

Yes this is the area of quantum physics :)

Actually, it's more general and special relativity than quantum physics.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to go forward, but not backwards. I read an article that said the faster you go, the faster time goes around the object moving. They say when you go on a plane trip you go slightly forward in time, but it's only a milisecond or two. The article said if you could orbit a black hole at very high speeds you would go forward in time. I wish i remember where I read that... :-k

You aren't going "forward in time" per se, it's just time dilation. Any and all movement creates time dilation, and thus you are always effecting your movement through time by how much you move.

Well, considering it's impossible and thus we have no models for estimating what would happen under given circumstances, it's not really worth thinking about.

Good question.

I believe that if a Star somehow moved significantly, we'd see both the star in it's current form and in it's past form both at the same time. Like, some stars out there we can still see the light from, but they may not even be there anymore, or for sure have changed greatly.

We pretty much just see it's past form since light takes a bit to get here.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Well, I meant if a star somehow moved instantly from like, 1,000,000 light years away to right outside our solar system, we'd be able to see both forms, I would think. :P

Even though it's impossible for that to happen, but yea.

"If I did break into a hotel room to steal my trophies, this is how it happened."

Well, I meant if a star somehow moved instantly from like, 1,000,000 light years away to right outside our solar system, we'd be able to see both forms, I would think. :P

Oh, ya, you'd be right in that case, dunno how the star would move faster than the light it's eminating though :P .

The fastest the star could move is the speed of light.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

I know, guys...I'm saying if...If it could be magically teleported here and we could party with aliens and ghosts. IF.

I'm aware it's impossible.

Hey, don't use the plural here, I already knew what you were saying :-w .

Ok, it's been a while since I've given any thought to this subject, so I might not be entirely correct here, so please correct me if I'm not.

According to the theory of relativity, when you move at extreme speeds, time "slows down" relative to the "normal" pace of time as perceived from the perspective of those who are not moving at your speed. For them, time is moving normally, and you would take the "normal" amount of time to travel that distance. But to you, time literally flew by, and you may have aged by a year while the rest of the world aged by ten.

My question is this: what do we define as "normal"? What I mean to say is, how can we judge any amount of travel time as normal, when theoretically any travel at all is dilating time to some extent. The only "normal" pace of time is when we are still and not moving at all. Movement at any velocity would be subject to relativity. So, when it took you the "normal" amount of travel time to the outside world, just what is that? Obviously it is much less than your speed, but nonetheless any other travel time would also dilate time.

Bottom line: Since there is no real constant to compare your travel time with the outside world's, the theory of relativity would be fundamentally flawed.

However, I do have a hypothesis, and this seems to me to be likely. I would guess that since any typical method of travel is so slow in comparison to the speed of light, and the speed at which you were traveling, the margin of error is small enough to be regarded as insignificant and simply "rounded" to the "still time", that is to say, the pace of time when you are still, which is constant.

Again, there's a chance that I'm completely off my rocker here, as I haven't touched this in a while and I'm supposed to be studying for exams, none of which are physics :lol: .

p2gq.jpg

What about this for a paradox?

Say you go back in time, and kill your own grandfather.You would cease to exist right?But, if you didn't exist, you couldn't have killed your grandfather..so he'd still be alive, andyou'd exist, so you would kill him, and you wouldnt exist anymore..... :shock:

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

What about this for a paradox?

Say you go back in time, and kill your own grandfather.You would cease to exist right?But, if you didn't exist, you couldn't have killed your grandfather..so he'd still be alive, andyou'd exist, so you would kill him, and you wouldnt exist anymore..... :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

Ironic, no?

p2gq.jpg

I believe the only possible way to travel back in time requires wormholes and singularities.

Read the book:

How to Build a Time Machine

Most physics majors say it's BS, but it's still an interesting read.

icecube7.jpeg

I believe the only possible way to travel back in time requires wormholes and singularities.

Read the book:

Err, I'll stick with Sci-fi if I want science-related fiction :-w .

Read the book:

Err, I'll stick with Sci-fi if I want science-related fiction :-w .

It's not quite fiction, it's definitely a possibility if you can create the technology.

icecube7.jpeg