What happened to this game?

CaJ

For those of you who been around since 2004 or so, I'm sure you'll all agree that Runescape has down downhill for quite some time now. My question is, what's going on? I mean, people surpassing the age limit? Over 20 people with All 99 Skills? Economy going through the roof?

Runescape has fallen into the dark realm. A while back (sometime in early 2007) I logged onto f2p just to see if any of my friends were still playing, and I couldn't believe how many changes were made for the worse. What use to be melee training in Legends Guild and the Wildy is now easily surpassed by PC, meaning that any fool can go from lvl 40 to lvl 126 within a few weeks. 99 Strength is hardly an accomplishment anymore. If a few hundred people possess it, that's fine. But over 10 thousand? And what the heck is with X Options? It not only made cooking and fletching easier, but it also gave people faster ways to make money.

Free-to-play was always the place for 8-10 year old kids to go waste their time begging for money and getting stuff that they didn't earn. But as early as last year I noticed that this was starting to become well apparent in members. What happened Jagex? What happened to your slow but worthful updates? Now it seems that they are throwing players tons of weekly updates that are hardly worth it. Quests use to have a purpose to them, now it's just to gain quest points and get more useless items and go to places that are barren. I remember the party room in Seers Village. Now it's moved to Falador where f2p players can go store useless items into them. People who play in the Wildy have been given items non-tradeable and I think that just destroys the concept of why they are there in the first place.

One of the major problems are the newer, younger players. They beg and want updates that are simply "kid friendly" and more easy on the player, rather than going to work to gain a certain lvl or item like how it used to be a few years ago. The trash that has always flooded the f2p worlds are now spilling into the members worlds. Do their parents even watch these kids? I'm 19, and I can't believe how many people who play this are younger than me. In a real MMORPG I would most likely be in the younger age group, but on Runescape I'm as if I'm some old fellow that gripes about anything new. The age limit is a joke. Your supposed to be older than 13, but any little kid knows that he/she can go past that barrier and make an account just to humilate others. I bet over 95 percent of these kids don't bother to read the rules or listen to the NPCs on tutorial island. These newer players either take the game too seriously or are just there to tease others. Finding a real friend is a rarity nowadays. The guy that helps you on quests and go training together at legends guild or being in a clan, while having fun. There's no honesty or intregity, it's all about making a quick buck and trying to become the best, richest player there is.

It's clear, Jagex is running out of ideas. The home teleport, the PC minigame, the Construction skill, and their constant updates on new items only made the game worse. I'm beginning to think that they are greedy now. I happen to quit this game last year, because I just couldn't take it any longer. I wish they would go and look at what they've done to their own game in the past two years.

i agree with alot of it, there has been some good updates but pc pretty much ruined mellee (other stats to but melee mostly) the home teleport afff there goes having to learn your way arround same with the world map link. so not only do people that dont bother getting magic now tele , you have people that dont know the way to places because they can just tele. gone are teh days when you had to have any smarts now all you have to do is train stg and attack and spam noob every few seconds

i know this isnt a FPS but if i freeze you can i still yell "Boom headshot" ?

For those of you who been around since 2004 or so, I'm sure you'll all agree that Runescape has down downhill for quite some time now. My question is, what's going on? I mean, people surpassing the age limit? Over 20 people with All 99 Skills? Economy going through the roof?

So would you rather they churn out skill after useless skill just to combat the problem of more people getting all 99's? Or aren't you aware that as time goes by people raise their skills? I would also like to see your proof of the economy "going through the roof"

Runescape has fallen into the dark realm. A while back (sometime in early 2007) I logged onto f2p just to see if any of my friends were still playing, and I couldn't believe how many changes were made for the worse. What use to be melee training in Legends Guild and the Wildy is now easily surpassed by PC, meaning that any fool can go from lvl 40 to lvl 126 within a few weeks. 99 Strength is hardly an accomplishment anymore. If a few hundred people possess it, that's fine. But over 10 thousand? And what the heck is with X Options? It not only made cooking and fletching easier, but it also gave people faster ways to make money.

So you complain about f2p, then back it up with member updates? Sure, they can go from 40 to 126 in a few weeks, if they don't plan on eating, sleeping or going to the toilet. Even with PC it takes a couple of months; whilst this may not be desirable, Jagex have tried to combat the problem with their PC update - if they removed it completely, can you imagine the rants and the riots? Like I said before, as time goes on, people raise their skills - it's natural. Or do you just want to make it impossible for anyone to get 99?

X-Options may have made these activities easier, but certainly not faster - there were numerous rants about the string-x update in particular. If anything, it's slowed their moneymaking (I assume you are talking about fletching, as cooking is a loss).

Free-to-play was always the place for 8-10 year old kids to go waste their time begging for money and getting stuff that they didn't earn. But as early as last year I noticed that this was starting to become well apparent in members. What happened Jagex? What happened to your slow but worthful updates? Now it seems that they are throwing players tons of weekly updates that are hardly worth it. Quests use to have a purpose to them, now it's just to gain quest points and get more useless items and go to places that are barren. I remember the party room in Seers Village. Now it's moved to Falador where f2p players can go store useless items into them. People who play in the Wildy have been given items non-tradeable and I think that just destroys the concept of why they are there in the first place.

Jagex manages to pull out quality updates most of the time, and for one a week that's damned good. Quests still have a purpose - setting up new storylines and continuing old ones, access to new items, rewards, etc. Oh noes, f2p received an update, it's the end of the world :roll:. You know, it's actually possible to not go to the party room, hard as that may be to comprehend.

Jagex has to balance the integrity of the system with the wants of the players - every time a good item comes out that is freely available to everyone, some [bleep] thinks the new item is too common or some other nonsense. So Jagex made high level rewards untradeable, to protect the integrity of the system. They already tried to rectify this problem with the barrelchest anchor, I think, as instead of the anchor you get ~200k (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

One of the major problems are the newer, younger players. They beg and want updates that are simply "kid friendly" and more easy on the player, rather than going to work to gain a certain lvl or item like how it used to be a few years ago. The trash that has always flooded the f2p worlds are now spilling into the members worlds. Do their parents even watch these kids? I'm 19, and I can't believe how many people who play this are younger than me. In a real MMORPG I would most likely be in the younger age group, but on Runescape I'm as if I'm some old fellow that gripes about anything new. The age limit is a joke. Your supposed to be older than 13, but any little kid knows that he/she can go past that barrier and make an account just to humilate others. I bet over 95 percent of these kids don't bother to read the rules or listen to the NPCs on tutorial island. These newer players either take the game too seriously or are just there to tease others. Finding a real friend is a rarity nowadays. The guy that helps you on quests and go training together at legends guild or being in a clan, while having fun. There's no honesty or intregity, it's all about making a quick buck and trying to become the best, richest player there is.

Yep, the new updates have been specifically for the inexperienced kids. Like the Godwars dungeon, any old kid can be really successful in there. And how is striving towards a certain level any different than wanting to "become the best, richest player there is?". Parents can't be watching their kids all the time when they're on the computer. They may have other duties, e.g. cooking, cleaning, etc. - and the parents should be able to trust their kids on the computer.

Yes, you do seem like an old fellow who gripes (for the sake of griping). Can you suggest a way for Jagex to enforce the age limit? Whilst it's not entirely successful, it may act as a deterrent to less adventurous children. If they don't listen to the NPC's on Tutorial Island, they're more likely to just give up because they can't figure it out.

It's clear, Jagex is running out of ideas. The home teleport, the PC minigame, the Construction skill, and their constant updates on new items only made the game worse. I'm beginning to think that they are greedy now. I happen to quit this game last year, because I just couldn't take it any longer. I wish they would go and look at what they've done to their own game in the past two years.

Home teleport - great idea, easy and convenient if you get lost or need a teleport. PC - a fun minigame, that's not quick levelling anymore. Construction - this has been long awaited since classic, so how can it be an example of Jagex running out of ideas? Or do you merely hate progress? RuneScape has grown and boomed in the past two years, and if I was Andrew Gower, I'd be damned proud of my game.

Economy has been stable for the most part. Mostly because Jagex and us are focusing on defeating the bots. Want something unstable that happened after that big bot bust in May? Shark prices at 300-400gp ea

Whats the problem with fast money? Anybody would want ways to get fast money. Anyway, X options really does help because we wouldn't have to click on lobbies just to cook something. Jagex did a good thing there.

Want every item to be non-tradable?

Jagex needs to attract the newer players because they have a higher chance of leaving RS than us. Besides, as high levels, we got tons of stuff to do. If you don't like the items/quests, don't it it, period.

You seem to be labeling some of the best updates as a "downfall" to Jagex, when infact, it is popular. Anyway, Jagex knows how to make money, as all companies want to. But, look at popular games like WoW, they don't seem to take care of the bot problem. Jagex is doing their best to make sure the game is fun for high levels and low levels.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Lol, two jagex puppets immediately proceeded to debunk :P

Anyhow, Runescape has gone downhill. Unlike some people *cough* Jagex puppets *cough* I played since 2002 and yes, it has gone downhill, even with all the updates.

But oh well, if everything was fine we wouldnt have anything to discuss about.

2480+ total

I agree with the beggars on members. It's about as annoying as...yes....that place...Hell.

But ranting about it basically is going to do nothing. You cant change what happened in the past 3 years to the game (In your opinion).

Just keep your head high (Cant really make it low in rs) and hope that everyone changes there begging ways and maybe become a little more mature. If they do i'll still be the little kid :P

Epee-Signature-2.png

Whatever... Although, I admit one of us didn't put anything logical.

Anyhow, Runescape has gone downhill. Unlike some people *cough* Jagex puppets *cough*

So, we are Jagex puppets if we think the game hasn't went downhill? :-k

I played since 2002 and yes, it has gone downhill, even with all the updates.

And.... You don't put any example of why you think the game went downhill...

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Lol

So, we are Jagex puppets if we think the game hasn't went downhill?

No, it's how you people always defend Jagex no matter what, even if it's utterly obvious the game went downhill.

Jagex puppet :P

2480+ total

Lol

So, we are Jagex puppets if we think the game hasn't went downhill?

No, it's how you people always defend Jagex no matter what,

You can't call me a Jagex puppet because I believe that Jagex makes mistakes on its rs gold policy (banning innocent people not trading gold). Also, I don't like the latest PC update.

even if it's utterly obvious the game went downhill.

And it has not gone downhill. Want a game that has went downhill? Play WoW. For once, Jagex updates its game with either rule updates or in-game updates. Sure, us high-levels could use more stuff, but we get a lot of stuff and not many low-levels get exciting stuff to do.

Jagex puppet :P

Whatever

safari20hat11.jpg

I have to agree, the game's falling slowly...

So, the climax would be something along the lines...

10 bots : 1 player

Hacks, bots outta control

Phats no longer are reachable goals (billions trillions gp ea)

All the high level people/ slayers quited

Thousands of accounts eliminated; Millions banned

Wilderness is gone

Every skill is trained exactly the same way

Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

The release of the Legends Guild (back on classic) was the peak of Runescape. I'm not quite sure what started the "downfall" but it had to be around a year after the engine change or so (Runescape 2's beginning).

I've been around since 2001 playing on and off and I have to say the game always shifted between rises and downfalls but never went as low as to make me lose interest so quickly when I log on. Yes, there were a lot of idiots back on classic as well but for the most part making new friends was easy, even with high-level players as well as the newbies. Nowadays, new players are either bots, Chinese farmers, gold diggers, underage players or nuisances; genuine nice new players are extremely rare.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Anyhow, Runescape has gone downhill. Unlike some people *cough* Jagex puppets *cough* I played since 2002 and yes, it has gone downhill, even with all the updates.

But oh well, if everything was fine we wouldnt have anything to discuss about.

Yes, because having an opinion different to yours means I'm a Jagex puppet :roll:

I've also played since 2002. Can you provide evidence to suggest it has gone downhill? Or can you only sit there a bleat about "Jagex Puppets"?

According to people who have played from RSC,

Miniclip happened.

And there is also gonna be MAKE "X" for smithing.

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

I think Miniclip really didn't help.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

According to people who have played from RSC,

Miniclip happened.

And there is also gonna be MAKE "X" for smithing.

Blaming the Miniclip advert alone cannot justify how the community has grown into, since some of my closer friends now CAME from Miniclip and a big percentage of the idiots were in the game before the ad appeared on their website.

I always wanted Make X for smithing. Do you know how tedious it is to have your all-time favourite skill become obsolete and shelved away by Jagex?

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

I remember the party room in Seers Village. Now it's moved to Falador where f2p players can go store useless items into them.
If you don't like its new location, nobody is forcing you to go there. And I fail to see what difference it makes at all. Moving the party room can hardly be considered another step down the hill.

It's clear, Jagex is running out of ideas. The home teleport, the PC minigame, the Construction skill, and their constant updates

----

That one shouldn't count, loads of players wanted it so Jagex made it for them.

(plus Construction is my favorite ::' )

Zaroterasu.png

The problem is the entire society, not just Runescape. Kids now adays are all about instant gratification and easy tasks. I volunteer with organizations that help educate kids, and it's evident. The kids are always trying to take the easiest and quickest way, even if they aren't learning anything, such as looking up the answers in the back of the book. It's the same way in runescape. Jagex is holding the newbs hands and walking them along every path. The same with quest help. And people can not wait to be a high level, so Jagex introduced things like pest control. Of course, now all the little kids are getting their precious high levels, but they don't get the satisfaction of getting there. I remember when I topped 70 strength, I just looked at the little "You've reached level 70 strength" pop-up. But now, so many people are training so fast, they don't eeven pay attention to the pop-up for 99 strength, but go on to achieve he next 99 skill. It makes me sick sometimes. Especially when some power leveler calls me a noob for "only" being lvl 88, even though I have been playing far longer then them, I just haven't power leveled. So, it's really not Runescape, it's everywhere.

It is impossible to exaggerate the unimportance of almost everything.

All my 100 friends on this game quit...wildy is now boring because there's been less people killing...guild system is still pretty stupid especially since you can't tell who's in the other clans (write the clan name next to their name or something).Oh and the players?Immature,powerleveling,elitist yelling,noob saying,begging,skill obssessed (what's your power level?), little jerks :evil: .

The problem is the entire society, not just Runescape. Kids now adays are all about instant gratification and easy tasks. I volunteer with organizations that help educate kids, and it's evident. The kids are always trying to take the easiest and quickest way, even if they aren't learning anything, such as looking up the answers in the back of the book.

I love how people throw in "nowadays", as if to somehow say that they weren't like that when they were younger. Or, for most cases, are still currently like that.

Kids have always been like that. Kids will always be like that. Your generation, our parents generation, our kids' generation, all kids go through an extended phase of being complete little bastards. Yes, even you, so stop talking like ya'll didn't for Christ's sake.

Oh, and that stuff carries through teenage years as well. Honestly, highschoolers, name one single kid in your whole entire grade who doesn't look in the back of the Calculus book every once in a while to know what the answer is before solving the problem. There isn't some line drawn at age [insert the "n-1", n being your current age] where all your kid habits just go away. We all keep the id with us, even into maturity.

Sadly, that's why it's not just kids, but nearly everyone who plays- 'cause who in their right mind doesn't want the easiest way out? Problem is, the id has a stronger effect on children, so with a lowering of the average age (which I hope no one denies has happened over the years), yes, Jagex is forced to make the game easier. It's just how updates work, and will continue to work as long as the majority requires easier leveling methods.

Guess it's just too bad people are immature bastards, and that they can live up to that [developmentally delayed]ed beast inside of them through the medium of the internet ::' .

Not to attack your points frog, I see little wrong with your analysis overall, in fact I hope my post portrays agreement; this is just a short monologue for the general Tip.it population ::' .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It's just the nostalgy. I wonder how many of you would keep on playing if we would go back to year 2002 and runescape classic. It might seem like alot of fun first, but after like couple weeks of playing I think you start to think about how much better you thought it was. Back in the days you didn't really have any clue what was going to happen, and didn't expect alot of things about games. There was really no big MMORPGS (like WoW), so there was nothing where to compare.

And there was atleast the same amount of jerks back in the classic. Like 80% of people used bots and some kind of hacks. -.-

BUT, I still think it has gone somewhat downhill. Everything has been made too easy, nothing doesn't feel like accomplisment anymore. Like getting 80 str or something what used to be like an impossible to do is like compared to "noobism" nowadays (if you don't have a 99 skill you're a noob now).

The importance of levels instead of having fun has grown too much.

u5zhkTY.gif

Well I would say the community has declined somewhat in F2P. Being a f2per from the creation of my account to now I belive I have a fairly uniqe perspective on things.

first off people where calling me noob alot 3 years ago- every 5-10 miniutes if I recall correctly. now that im level 83 its only every other day :) .

their where still bots, not as bad as they have been in the last year- but then again I wasent realy paying attention way back then to bots, where any of you?

their where alot of kids then, their are more now. I think its a corrupting attitude mostly thats to blaim, people see alot of scamming, macro's, swareing, name calling, and bad attitudes and it gets to them over time. if you have been playing as long as I have and havent turned into a cold nasty person who will only answer a hello from some one you don't know with "what do you want?" count yourself luckey.

also theirs all this competition from other MMO's with better graphics, more frequent updates, and a generaly more mature community due to the 15$ a month price tag (Havent played lord of the rings online but I hear its pretty good). such MMO's I belive help to further draw away the more mature players. so does a general lack of atttention to older players needs such as more bank space; members and F2P alike.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci