RS official forums finally EXPLODED!!!

ikraz66

[hide]
As I said, it is mere silliness and stupidity, not chaos and anarchy as the author of this topic claimed.

When the ranting and raving has devolved to mass-spamming and the thread is going so fast that rational people can't discuss issues without their threads getting lost, then it has become chaos and anarchy.

And it has.

[/hide]

Such threads are locked, like on any forum. As long as things are under control, it is not anarchy, nor chaos.

Not only have these threads not been locked, one of them is stickied.

Despite that, dozens of new threads on the same topics are created every hour. All of which are devoid of any thought or even understanding of the topic at hand.

It gets a bit better during the day when the kiddies are at school not getting an education.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide]
As I said, it is mere silliness and stupidity, not chaos and anarchy as the author of this topic claimed.

When the ranting and raving has devolved to mass-spamming and the thread is going so fast that rational people can't discuss issues without their threads getting lost, then it has become chaos and anarchy.

And it has.

[/hide]

Such threads are locked, like on any forum. As long as things are under control, it is not anarchy, nor chaos.

Not only have these threads not been locked, one of them is stickied.

Despite that, dozens of new threads on the same topics are created every hour. All of which are devoid of any thought or even understanding of the topic at hand.

It gets a bit better during the day when the kiddies are at school not getting an education.

The update accomplishes nothing that wasn't already there. The only negative aspect to it is that it encourages begging; however, that is seldom what all the irrational masses rant about. Honestly, it does not devalue skills, because I guarantee that no level 99 smith will "assist" a random level 20 noob in making full rune. There is no difference between "assisting" a low level in making rune and just making rune and giving it away. It's the same thing, only because of the package it is presented in, the noobs fly all over it and accuse Jagex of "catering to the noobs." Granted, it is by no means perfect, as mentioned earlier with the "begging" epidemic.

td2sig.jpg

Jagex is saying now that charging for your assistance is a form of trust-trading.

Hi everyone,

It's been very interesting so far to read the various responses to the new 'Assist System'.

As many of you are doubtless already aware, the new update has been designed as a very safe way for players to help one another out.

Players who don't have the necessary levels to create a given item can temporarily 'borrow' the ability from a player with a sufficient level in the relevant skill.

The less-experienced player provides the resources and gets the finished items, while the more-experienced player gets all of the XP (up to a maximum of 30,000XP per 24 hours).

This is intended to eliminate the possibility for a number of scams to take place. For example, gem cutting is now completely safe. Previously, a player who wanted someone to cut a gem for them would have to hand the gem over and trust that the cutter would actually give it back. With the new Assist System, that element of doubt no longer exists as no items ever actually leave the player's inventory.

The player who is offering assistance receives compensation for their time by gaining XP without having to gather the resources or carry out any actions themselves.

We would strongly discourage players from asking for money in return for their skills. Doing so introduces its own set of problems because it's not a direct like-for like trade.

Consider these examples. Player A is the less-experienced player who wants assistance and Player B is the more-experienced player who has offered to give assistance.

1) Player A offers to pay Player B for their assistance. Player B takes the money up front, then logs out or teleports away without holding up their end of the bargain by giving the assistance.

2) Player A offers to pay Player B for their assistance. Player B lets Player A carry out the skilling, then Player A logs out without paying.

As you can see, there is a huge potential for someone to fall foul of someone else's dishonesty. Asking payment for assistance basically involves a form of trust trading, which is already against Forum rules for these very reasons.

It's much better to simply use the Assist System in the spirit in which it has been designed; as a quick and simple way to be nice to your fellow players by offering them a little bit of assistance when they need it.

The more astute among you will already have noticed that the daily XP cap has been set fairly low. This is to provide an in-built balancing element; the Assist System was never intended as a way to enable people to power-level while letting other people do the work for them, nor as a way to obtain unlimited high-level items without having to do any skill training! :)

Many thanks. Enjoy the new update! :)

-Mod Jon H

Be warned.

I suggested on the RSOF that Jagex could have just created NPCs to provide the "free services" or empowered the various Skils Tutors to do it.

Would have ruffled a lot fewer feathers.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

yes, but even with the ditch the ranters had a little bit of an argument. They ditch DOES make abyss crafting about 1-2 seconds longer. And it IS an eyesore.

But I really can't see anything wrong with assist AT ALL. How do you rant about a PERFECT update?

Before: Noob stands in bank and constantly yells: "Plz co0k mi lobbi!! Plz make mi roon scimi!!"

Now: Noob follows you and constantly yells: "Assist me, assist me!!!!!!!!!!" and if you don't, "OMG FREAKY NOOB NOOB NOOB"

Profins.png

specty.png

Always a bunch of people who don't understand what's going on fully and decide to complain. And apart from that, it's impossible to update something and not affect something else negatively, however small it may be. People just pick on those small things and continuously go on about them ... :?

bottomsupsiggyori.jpg

Runescaper since June 2005

Blog

This update is in my opinion one of the best in a good while!

The morons complaining in the Rs forums etc are in all probability and mostly the sad gits that can't do any scams anymore

leebrave.png

Gorak Chronicles Ended, thinking of something new for next week

This sort of thing is EXACTLY why Jagex doesn't 'listen' to its user base, because its user base has absolutely no idea what its talking about. OMG theres no point leveling skills cause all lvl 3's will just get assistance - from who? I can just see it now, all the high levels standing around waiting for some low level to require their assistance, because we all know how patient and generous high levels are with their time..........(I'm not saying they should be of course they shouldn't and aren't).

People really need to realise just because something could happen (all high levels devoting their time to helping low levels) doesn't mean it will.

There is no valid reason to moan about this ANTI-SCAMMING update.

In one thread, a forum user ranting about the assist update managed to argue with a forum mod for over 6 full pages, and STILL didn't understand why the update didn't hurt him. I wanted to slap that forum mod for trying to argue with an idiot and expect him to listen to reason. #-o

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

Im lvl 115 with some skills over 70 some over 80 etc

I when ask will gladly lend my skills to anyone not for the exp, I can get that myself but because I know how annoying it was trying to obtain a certain item or to make one like the addy square.

leebrave.png

Gorak Chronicles Ended, thinking of something new for next week

In one thread, a forum user ranting about the assist update managed to argue with a forum mod for over 6 full pages, and STILL didn't understand why the update didn't hurt him. I wanted to slap that forum mod for trying to argue with an idiot and expect him to listen to reason. #-o

Why not slap the idiot? :-k It wouldn't help him to listen, but it would make you feel good anyway. :)

I think we should generally ignore the RSOF, aside from the very occasional spoilers and decent suggestions (Believe it or not, there are some!), because it allows Jagex to literally control the chain reaction in the reactor known by us tip.iters as the Rants Forum From Hell. Jagex made a perfect update, but the only thing is that the idiots cannot understand why. Perhaps it's because they expect the update to have a flaw or some sort and treat the next best thing: An aspect of the update which could potentially have a flaw but actually doesn't.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I think the update is a good idea (though I never tried it yet). It appears that there are many ideas and suggestions that suck of course. However, do some of you actually read some of the rants? There have been many good ideas (Blurite being a tradable ore, butter being too slow, etc) that have been re-read by the poster. However, mainly some people love to rant about pretty much anything. After all, its easily and more relaxing being negative than positive.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

I can see why this is good, and how it could be bad.

Higher level player will be followed by people asking to assist them. Maybe Jagex could add a button in that allows you to turn on/off the assist system for you, so you don't have to be annoyed by people.

There already is one. Look at the bottom of the screen.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

The complaining comes from people who are either scammers, elitists, or the players with a pathological need to feel superior to others.

The scammers rant and complain every time an update makes it harder to take advantage of newer players. Oh well. Too bad. This is beneficial to the game.

The elitists are all upset that their fury or whatever is no longer the huge status symbol they thought it was (even though it really wasn't). Again, too bad. No loss to the game there.

The last group are simply full of themselves in an odd way. While it is a normal part of the human condition to compare ourselves to others, and feel good if we seem better in some way, these people actually get joy from seeing people who are worse in some way. They are the ones complaining about lower levels being able to smith, cut, mine something above their level. Their little piece of superiority has been taken away, and their means of self-identification along with it.

As many others have pointed out, the limits placed, and the need for the higher level player to do nothing will keep the system from being abused. Not many players will receive the assistance needed to cut 1k mage logs, or mine rune in significant amounts. And as the novelty wears off, more and more high levels with put their assist button on Friends.

It should all balance out more quickly than some prior updates.

It might even be beneficial to the game if the RSOF did explode. They have long ago lost their usefulness. Official Forums are supposed to be for players to have contact with devs. RSOF doesn't really function for that - too high of a noise-to-signal ratio.

bop_dravian.png

The only thing worth ranting about is our new little agility mascot.

Agreed :-X

But let's not start a riot, kay?

I'm too lazy. :anxious: And if we did start a riot, RSOF ranters would join us. That is a situation I don not want to be in. :uhh:

It's a situation no one want's to be in :D ::' :? :| :uhh: :ohnoes:

Just let it be, JaGaEx should kill the rants forum..

Its because they hate the way Jagex makes the game, they want to have it their way... :roll:

The only thing worth ranting about is our new little agility mascot.

Agreed :-X

But let's not start a riot, kay?

I'm too lazy. :anxious: And if we did start a riot, RSOF ranters would join us. That is a situation I don not want to be in. :uhh:

It's a situation no one want's to be in :D ::' :? :| :uhh: :ohnoes:

Just let it be, JaGaEx should kill the rants forum..

Bring back the stick figure?