TIME person of the year 2007

malo2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I don't read Time magazine at all.

Reading the site it seems it's some kind of popularity contest. Or "whos face we've been seeing most time of the year" contest.

So, couldn't care less who gets it.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Dam this is so hard to pick from:

Its either jk i want money and im selfish so wont help a small book company

Or

Some random person...

This JK? http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/0 ... 14x650.jpg

None of those are worthy of getting some "person of the year", although i think Hitler won times personality of the year in 1938 or something. :lol:

It is not just for people who have made a postive difference to the world. Stalin also won it twice, Nixon and Kissinger, George Bush ect. The winner is someone/something who "for better or for worse, has done the most to influence the events of the year."

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Or

Some random person...

This JK? http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/0 ... 14x650.jpg

None of those are worthy of getting some "person of the year", although i think Hitler won times personality of the year in 1938 or something. :lol:

He was meant to get it for person of the century, but for fear of public outcry they chose someone else. It's a shame, because I don't think anyone can dispute that any other one person has had a bigger impact on human history in the 20th century than him.

I think getting the most powerful country in the world on the brink of declaring war against you, by your solitary doing, has had a tiny bit more influence on the world than a book about some 4-eyed magician. Putting it out there.

Am I talking about Putin, or Ahmejinad? Well...

I think getting the most powerful country in the world on the brink of declaring war against you, by your solitary doing, has had a tiny bit more influence on the world than a book about some 4-eyed magician. Putting it out there.

Am I talking about Putin, or Ahmejinad? Well...

Although i agree, from the perspective of Rowling fans she has almost single handedly introduced a generation of young people into reading who wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Although i agree, from the perspective of Rowling fans she has almost single handedly introduced a generation of young people into reading who wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
I don't think that's true. Kids would have just read something else.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I don't think that's true. Kids would have just read something else.

Like what? I can't imagine little kids queuing outside a book shop for the latest installment of many books other than harry potter.

I've yet to see or hear a Rowling fan make such an outrageous claim, in their defence.

I can't really see any that I'd call person of the year, why not sportsmen/women?

You'd think Hamilton might have had an outside chance if he'd won the title, but even then he'd be pushing it. To say he had such an impact globally in the way, say, Tiger Woods had back in 1997, would be a massive over-statement.

I can't really see any that I'd call person of the year, why not sportsmen/women?

You'd think Hamilton might have had an outside chance if he'd won the title, but even then he'd be pushing it. To say he had such an impact globally in the way, say, Tiger Woods had back in 1997, would be a massive over-statement.

I suppose, didn't know if there were any other sportsmen out there (maybe in America or something) who might have had a big impact.

Actually, my vote would go to Younis Mahmoud, the captain of the Iraqi National Football team for scoring the goal that won them the Asian cup that united that war torn country for a few precious moments.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I've yet to see or hear a Rowling fan make such an outrageous claim, in their defence.

Tell me a book little kids have been more excited about in the past 10 years and i'll agree, or even looking at sales. I dont even like harry potter but as far as childrens literature is concerned shes the most successful of the past few years.

I'd say Al Gore. If you like him or not, he's trying to make this world a better place. Anyone who does that, is someone who gets my vote.

The thing about Gore is, though, that most of what he did was in 2006 and before. Sure, Man of the Year 2006 would've been good, but this year...

ya he hasn't done that much this year....except winning the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE. just sayin.

Al Gore is the least deserving of them all.

Yeah and J.K rowling is? Shes a joke. Those suck [wagon] books..

You may think that they suck, but they have changed this generation. They actually got my brother to start reading! <----That says a lot.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

I'd consider Al Gore if he would stop calling himself "I was the next president of the United States"

Florida wasn't a faulty process, the initial decision was because the random sample was inaccurate from exit polls. Get over it.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Or

Some random person...

How did she "not help a small book company"

Bloomsbury was a small company before this.

[ignore my username too.... <.< ]

Tell me a book little kids have been more excited about in the past 10 years and i'll agree, or even looking at sales. I dont even like harry potter but as far as childrens literature is concerned shes the most successful of the past few years.

Admittedly she did get a number of people interested in reading, but that doesn't mean to say that all Harry Potter fans would be illiterate hellraisers had she not written the series. She's significant, but I wouldn't say as significant as Putin or Gore.

Honestly, I would select a book writer much over a god damn politician, can't stand them..

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.