Runescape the new cheap knock off of wow?

thisismine

How do other people think about this ?

ive played both games, runescape more that wow, mainly due to time.

also because its a different game.

how ever for some time now there is more things i associate with wow on runescape. recently the grand exchange, does anyone see how similar this is to the ah ?

now these duel arenas and ratings to go with them.

not to mention all teh graphics updates when they need to adress the so called combat triangle issues. i might as well stop playing runescape completly as runescape is just becoming a cheap knock off of another game i play.

i know this isnt a FPS but if i freeze you can i still yell "Boom headshot" ?

According to the World of Warcraft website, the game is only three years old.

According to RuneScape's copyrights, the game is eight years old. Let's go ahead and adjust that number to when the RS2 beta came out, so December 2003.

RS[2] - 4 years old; WoW - 3 years old.

Who's copying who?!

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I've never played WoW, so correct me if I'm wrong [someone else], but I do believe that the Duel Arena was created to replace duel-anywhere from Classic, ergo it was in the beta.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

how ever for some time now there is more things i associate with wow on runescape. recently the grand exchange, does anyone see how similar this is to the ah ?

not to mention all teh graphics updates when they need to adress the so called combat triangle issues. i might as well stop playing runescape completly as runescape is just becoming a cheap knock off of another game i play.

1. No.....You don't even know how the grand exchange will function, other than the selling of items. WOW auction houses allow you to bid on an item, as far as I've seen the grand exchange shows absolutely no signs of being able to do that.

2. OH MY GOD! You mean Jagex implemented a ranking system for duels, something that's been in mmorpgs for....YEARS? Clearly it's a ripoff of wow, because wow did everything first.

3. How does making graphics updates while supposedly ignoring the combat triangle make runescape like wow? If anything, wow has updated their combat....hexogonal? more while ignoring the graphics.

4. Can't argue that point. You really should quit Runescape, you have the normal mentality of a world of warcraft fanboy (Which, oddly enough, matches the mentality of the average middle schooler)

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I've never played WoW, so correct me if I'm wrong [someone else], but I do believe that the Duel Arena was created to replace duel-anywhere from Classic, ergo it was in the beta.

You are correct Duel Arena WAS intrduced to replace the duel anywhere from Classic. Again before WOW was even released.

The GE is not a copy of WOW auction house. It is actually closer to the EVE online trade system. However, as someone pointed out most MMORPGs have trading systems similar to the GE. IMO it is about time Jagex caught up with the rest of the MMORPG world as systems like this make trading easier and safer.

YES! one less player clogging up my servers...woooot! buh bye

lord+krohn.png

RS name: lord krohn Combat 138

slayer specific: 103 whips, 38 dark bows and 250+ dragon boots dropped to date.

Dragon drops: 5 Half shields, 21 drag legs, 8 dragon skirts, and 9 drag meds dropped to date.

Correct me, i haven't really played WoW at all(about 20 minutes at my friends house :P) but isn't the leveling up system completely different..? and the world is completely different. and the story is completely different. the graphics, gameplay, all different. What did they rip off exactly..?

soldersig.jpg

Correct me, i haven't really played WoW at all(about 20 minutes at my friends house :P) but isn't the leveling up system completely different..? and the world is completely different. and the story is completely different. the graphics, gameplay, all different. What did they rip off exactly..?
Currently, just the bidding system from the game WoW (though you could say that Jagex is copying a LOT of games....I mean, it's not like, I don't know....there's 100 mmorpg's online nowadays. No, it can't be possible. And it's certainly not possible that maybe there was a online rpg BEFORE all these games that had this stuff...*sarcasm). Also, every game company copies ideas from other companies...it just happens.

While everyone is debating that Runescape is older than World of War Craft im going to take a different approach.

The players are the ones who demanded Jagex do these updates. Jagex isn't copying anyone. These ideas are used by alot more games other than World of War Craft.

The problem is everyone compares the two because they are the games alot of people know.

Overall the players asked for the it, the players got it. Jagex is just keeping their income happy. If you feel runescape is a cheap knock off then don't play. Frankly, why do you play then? Surely its not just time.

I have tried World of war craft and i was so bored of it. Yes it has nice graphics, lots of features etc. But the content in my opinion was lacking greatly.

Runescape is runescape World of War craft is as it is. They are two seperate games which maintain categories of other games as well. A much as you think WOW is original it isn't.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

Just to start, Nearly every invention you can think of has come off other people's ideas and thoughts. This is true with many games as games build off other games to advance.

To say that Runescape completely copied the idea of the GE off WoW's Auction house (or whatever it's called) is like saying WoW copied the idea of PvP off Runescape since Runescape had it first.

As others have said, Jagex get a lot of their ideas off their players and use their ideas to create something from it.

Someone said that RuneScape copied the ranked duel system off WoW.

Did WoW create the concept of a rank system?

No, of course not. They would of got these ideas from previous games whether MMO or not.

A lot of games are going to have similar content regardless whether they used ideas off other games or they made them theirselves. This is apart of every game and something you cannot change. You just need to accept it and enjoy the game for what it releases, not rant that they completely ripped off this other game.

And I noticed you said that RuneScape is filling up with WoW ideas and concepts. I can't really think of anything other than that they are both MMOs which all MMOs have in common. World of Warcraft would have built a lot of their game from many ideas and concepts from other MMOs including RuneScape as it was out much before WoW was.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

technically runescape is 8 years old

rs2 is 4 years old

the rs classic series came out in feb 1999

or was it jan

cant recall

Anyway, World of warcrack is for losers...but thats besides the point of course XD

If you study anthropology you learn that everything is in relation to each other and that there are no new ideas, only recreated or redeveloped ones.

Let's for a moment assume jagex copied WOW, with all these things - even if they didn't let just say for purposes of argument they did.

What's bad with that? If it's popular in another game, that means it's good. If it's good, of course jagex is going to do it, it makes their game better. Who wins? everybody, except perhaps the WOW developers who are losing customers to jagex (but vice versa), if people didn't copy other peoples ideas that would suck big hairy balls.

We'd have, one piece of music in the world because other people would just be copying music.

We'd have one brand of everything - pants, cups, toothpaste, toilet seats...

I'd honestly rather have copying in the world than lose my fluffy toilet seat cover.

It's good, they took ideas that worked elsewhere, implemented them with little risk of them failing, and good chances of satisfying the gamers. Isn't that what we want?

Suppose you take a thousand respectable scientists of similar ability, give them all the same specific research field, scatter them to every corner of the globe with absolutely no contact (directly or indirectly) with one another, and give them a year to come up with something. Even assuming that every last one of them comes to a conclusion, how many conclusions do you think you will see that are:

1) Unique,

2) Useful, and

3) Accurate?

A handful, perhaps.

So Jagex and Blizzard came to a similar conclusion regarding in-game trading. What's so special about that? Just how many truly unique ways are there to go about in-game trading (without reducing the system to an even bigger pain in the arse), anyway? :-k

So many talk of WoW as if it had invented everything in the mmorpgs and everyone copied it >___>

The truth is WoW is a copy of things that existed before it, much like all the mmorpgs around today are copies of earlier stuff.

2480+ total

How can something be a knock off of something its older than. If anything WoW is an overpriced knock off of runescape.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.