The best take on the December Updates I've ever seen.

Mecakoto

I have gotten permission to post this from the original creator via email. He/She is A.Furry of IGN's Runescape Boards. They would like it to be credited to them if used anywhere else with the simple title of "A.Furry of IGN." You have his/her permission.

A.Furry:

In the grand scope of things, they have lost few of their paying members. I'd think that they have lost 10% of their paying player base. Along with the ads that pay to be put up on the sight and free to play version of the game, they will still have enough players to recover nicely.

Overall, most of the Pkers will continue playing because of the fact that pking wasn't about the loot. That was just a perk. Pking was about just getting a kill and having that adrenaline rush of simply destroying and/or killing someone. Players can still do this in Duel Tournaments, Castle Wars, and Fight Pits, which is where all of the non-pure pkers have gone, me included. Also, if the 1 vs 1 area is how it should be, then even pures will come back, or even remain active until it is implemented, along with all the other big Pker fans that want loot along with thrill.

Summoning will also keep people playing, simply because it is a new skill. Not really anything else I can say about that, other then the mere hype will keep people playing.

Finally, there is the biggest aspect why people will keep playing: the sheer amount of time people have put into there characters. Most of the people who have been playing for 1+ years will continue, simply because they have put so much into their accounts. And, as the first big interface change, the Pest Control change, and various other things that have been big, things will be tweaked, and people will adjust. That is basic human nature: adjusting to new things, and finding ways to work with them.

Proofreading this, this oddly sounds like something Jagex would say... That in mind, it doesn't make it any less true, except for the Pkers leaving statistic I gave. It isn't confirmed, just an estimate...

All in all, I think 'ol Runescape has a few more years, if not more. If the Price is Right can continue on, despite not having the same feel, so can a simple game of pixels. (Yes, I do still watch it with Drew as Host. Bob will be sorely missed. Despite it, the rating will recover, and new fans will be made)

I agree completely. I just thought you all needed to see this. That is why I asked to post it. It was posted as a response to someone else, so it is directed at that person, but oddly enough, to every player.

EDIT: Found a typo, fixed it. Ill tell Furry.

EDIT2: A.Furry is planning to make an account here tomorrow. Until then, I;m not allowed to give out Email Adresses.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Well, the day after the updates, I noticed a 40% drop in the usual amount of players around at the time I'm usually on. However, as Furry says, by the time a week had gone by, it had hit well over 80% of its previous amount. I really have never thought this was going to hurt the game in any serious way. I still give major kudos to TB@JT for this update, losing 10% of their population is nowhere near as serious a problem as RWT'ing.

Well written by Furry.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

Eh, to a lot of us, it just comes down to principle. Whether or not things are ok after this wave doesn't matter. Jagex has taken an extreme stance, and who will know what'll happen next time they need to eradicate a problem? Whether or not we can make due with the changes has little to do with the fact that they changed what made runescape the game it is. Sure, most people will keep playing, but that's because like the guy stated - they're already hooked on the game.

well written. However many people are waiting for summoning before choosing to quit or not. I doubt people are going to get members just to summon.

I reckon the january updates, the 3k trade limit thingy will turn a lot of people away, maybe even some of the addicted players.

however I reckon I will be staying, at least till I get 99 cook and fish. then at least of i quit after that i can say I achieved something on RS.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

Yup, they're goign to fix and replace everything that they destroyed...

Xept for the thing that made RS unique... And for that I will refer you to Lime Mercuries post on why he is unsubscribing...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

well written. However many people are waiting for summoning before choosing to quit or not. I doubt people are going to get members just to summon.

I reckon the january updates, the 3k trade limit thingy will turn a lot of people away, maybe even some of the addicted players.

however I reckon I will be staying, at least till I get 99 cook and fish. then at least of i quit after that i can say I achieved something on RS.

I'm staying in this for the long haul. You realize now that jagex has utterly disenboweld the rwt problem. they will have much more money to spend on us. And after they gain more members we will have lots of more great updates.

And for you pk advicates out there think about this. You are a lvl 40 who everytime you go to the wildy gets killed in 2 minutes and you lose you armor that took you a week to get. So when pking is gotten rid of you rejoice, it doesnt really affect you, in fact it makes you happier. You think the 3k thing is a little annoying but its nothing they cant live with. The gigantic tree we call runescape is still gonna grow even though a few branches have been clipped, there are 5 more ready to take its place for every branch that is taken off.

cool_sig1.jpg

The gigantic tree we call runescape is still gonna grow even though a few branches have been clipped, there are 5 more ready to take its place for every branch that is taken off.

Amen to that! Runescape will go on, it will be different, it will take some getting used to, but the updates are not the end of the world. I am primarily a self sufficient slayer/skiller, just plugging along, raising my skills 1 lvl at a time, gathering all my own resources to get what I need...so except for the revenants in the wild when I try to do a clue, and the absence of bots, these updates could of gone unnoticed by me had I not read the front page and all the ranting on forums. Not everybody is ready to up and quit over it. For those that pk, monster hunt/loot share, or give gifts (this part I will notice when they implement it in a few days) I hope they can find a substitute that will make you happy ....but if not ..... find something else you like about the game and do that ...if pk'ing was all you did and now you hate RS without it, you weren't really playing the whole game anyway ...there is so much more to RS than just killing other players. If you can no longer find anything about RS you like, than move on to a new game and let those of us who still enjoy, continue to enjoy it without all the whining.

mak_1027.png

And for you pk advicates out there think about this. You are a lvl 40 who everytime you go to the wildy gets killed in 2 minutes and you lose you armor that took you a week to get. So when pking is gotten rid of you rejoice, it doesnt really affect you, in fact it makes you happier.

Well, maybe it was HIS FAULT FOR WALKING INTO THE WILDERNESS!

And for you pk advicates out there think about this. You are a lvl 40 who everytime you go to the wildy gets killed in 2 minutes and you lose you armor that took you a week to get. So when pking is gotten rid of you rejoice, it doesnt really affect you, in fact it makes you happier.

So you never went into the wildy not knowing what it was?

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Once the first week I started playing 5-6 years ago... from then on, the wilderness was glorified in my mind. The highest honor in the game to me, was running around the wildy looking for players to fight.

Now, I've adapted my range pure that went from 1-80 range in 1 week!!!!! Is now a tanker with prayer... i'll prolly do barrows on it until 1 v 1 arena comes out. But since most people praising this date are self-sufficient skillers, please try to understand that pking was a big enough aspect of the game for someone to play solely for that reason. I supported you guys when fatigue was introduced before sleeping bags, why can't a pker get a lil respect? I am afterall your peer, you enjoy other aspects of the game then me and to that I say to each his own. But I don't bash the fact that you like to skill so please show us some courtesy and realize that our favorite aspect of the game has been mutilated and horribly so, until tweaks are made and if the 1 v 1 arena is good.

pandapk2.jpg

Well, the day after the updates, I noticed a 40% drop in the usual amount of players around at the time I'm usually on. However, as Furry says, by the time a week had gone by, it had hit well over 80% of its previous amount. I really have never thought this was going to hurt the game in any serious way. I still give major kudos to TB@JT for this update, losing 10% of their population is nowhere near as serious a problem as RWT'ing.

It's hard to accurately attribute the drop in numbers to legitimate players leaving or RWTers. Some of that drop is likely a loss of RWTers, how much is up to debate. (Plus, I think they added some worlds, so that would cause some thinning as well.)

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

I used to mine coal and a number of other assorted ores in the Wilderness. I still mine runite out there. And I used to complain about getting attacked by PKers for no reason other than a good laugh for them- But you know what? I didn't want PvP to go away, I just wanted people to be nicer and leave miners alone. They never did, of course, and I came to hate them. However, I didn't want PKing gone from the Wilderness because I enjoyed the idea of fighting other players in such an environment when I was ready (getting revenge and protecting other miners was big for me). And now, I want PKers back: they break the monotony of mining runite and they were actually smart predators. They aren't idiotic like these revenants are. Now, people who were too cowardly to set foot in level 1 Wilderness are freely coming to 46 to mine ore in no armor. I don't think that's right. There has to be more risk. I never attacked my fellow miners out there unless they themselves did (or seemed to be goldfarmers), but now I have come to resent their presence when mining.

And no, even when I started out it was very difficult to go into the Wilderness without knowing what it was because of the pop-up screen (and all the people fighting on the borders). You should have known what you were getting into when you approached.

PK'ers don't get respect because they do not deserve it. They are a bunch of cowards who wanted an unfair advantage over other players; people who were just working a clue or something. These changes now make them fight other people who are prepared to fight back; and they are crying and whining about it. I feel no sorry for the PK'ers, I am glad that their little self-satisified game was taken from them. Watch them cry, baby, watch them cry. :boohoo:

PK'ers don't get respect because they do not deserve it. They are a bunch of cowards who wanted an unfair advantage over other players; people who were just working a clue or something. These changes now make them fight other people who are prepared to fight back; and they are crying and whining about it. I feel no sorry for the PK'ers, I am glad that their little self-satisified game was taken from them. Watch them cry, baby, watch them cry. :boohoo:

People like you are just as bad as they are; elitist snobs who think that anyone who sets foot in the Wilderness to do harm is barbaric. You hurt the game's community as much as any abrasive Abyss PKer.

I agree with this compleatly, we may have lots some people due to Dec 10. but i think the game will go on. I know ill play the game till it dies.

-Haseo

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Anyone who sets foot in the Wilderness to do harm to someone who is not prepared to fight back is barbaric and a coward. Now, I know that cowards hate to be called cowards, but it is true. They just want other people at their advantage, they do not want to fight on fair terms. I know that it hurts to be called out on this, but grow up.

Anyone who sets foot in the Wilderness to do harm to someone who is not prepared to fight back is barbaric and a coward. Now, I know that cowards hate to be called cowards, but it is true. They just want other people at their advantage, they do not want to fight on fair terms. I know that it hurts to be called out on this, but grow up.

Wilderness was free game. You went out at your own risk. I don't think anyone should be calling players controlling an online character 'cowards'. Pretty sad in my opinion.

You know, when you are all dressed out in armor and weapons, food and pots, and you go into the wild looking for someone who is not all decked out, maybe just someone working a clue, and then you use this decisive advantage to kill them and ruin any possibility of getting them obtaining their clue reward, what do you call such a person other than a coward? It is very very sad to see people defending this kind of behavior, when someone does not have any intention in a fair fight, only a fight where the odds are so in their favor that a win is almost guaranteed. And all to do what? Spoil someoneÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s search for a clue reward? Spoil the mining of runite? Spoil agility training on the wildness course? What do you call someone who gets trills from just spoiling the fun of others? Maybe you are right; cowards everywhere are ashamed to have their label associated with the likes of these.

You know, when you are all dressed out in armor and weapons, food and pots, and you go into the wild looking for someone who is not all decked out, maybe just someone working a clue, and then you use this decisive advantage to kill them and ruin any possibility of getting them obtaining their clue reward, what do you call such a person other than a coward? It is very very sad to see people defending this kind of behavior, when someone does not have any intention in a fair fight, only a fight where the odds are so in their favor that a win is almost guaranteed. And all to do what? Spoil someoneÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s search for a clue reward? Spoil the mining of runite? Spoil agility training on the wildness course? What do you call someone who gets trills from just spoiling the fun of others? Maybe you are right; cowards everywhere are ashamed to have their label associated with the likes of these.
Can you pleeeeeeease stop generalizing a population to fit your views and opinions? Also, not only is there a popup theres also a ditch. How can you NOT be prepared to enter the wilderness? Gotta do a clue? Don't wanna risk the wilderness ... I think its obvious what to do.(What risk... You're never at the opportunity to lose anything of value if you bring a spade and your clue).

People like you make my gaming experience less enjoyable. Bringing down PvPers by calling them cowards just because you are not able to prepare yourself for the risks of the wilderness. Let me tell you something, rune mining? Its only the best metal in the game, I think it should have a risk. That risk is making it to and back. Wilderness agility course? Its crap, why would you train there.

Also, I don't know where you pk, but I've had and seen lots of 'fair fights'. I don't know why you have such bias towards a certain population.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

The wild was made specifically for player killing. ANY player going into what it was with anything at all choose to take the risk of getting attacked and killed. Player killers go by what their name is perfectly: killing anyone in their sight just so the chance of getting anything is increased.

In summary: if you go into the wild, you ran the risk of being killed by another player, regardless of the reason for you being there.

Yep, I'm a furry.

I keep my Runescape account name undisclosed for privacy reasons.

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

I'm not a big fan of pking... I've only ever actually killed green dragon hunters, people who've attacked me, or some random guy when I ran out of food in the agility arena lol.

However, the wilderness is suppsed to be wild, unexpectable etc... etc... I honestly have lost interest in abyss crafting because it's so boring now. It was fun to get randomly attacked by some loser and then come back and kill them... Also, if you "set foot in the wilderness," you get a big ol' wrning message that tells you to be prepared. Just because you don't "want" to fight doesn't mean that you aren't "prepared" to be attcked. Being "prepared" isn't necessarily fighting back. It could be sacrificing 1 or 2 inventory spots to bring along an anti-poison or 1 click teleport, or you could click that little "run" thing and then move away at an accelerated rate.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I don't mind that much, I never did like Pking, I usually collect my own materials and I play because its something to do during my free time. :D

seetons.png

Feel free to HYT me in-game =)

~~3,483rd to 99 Thieving, Feb 22, 2008~~

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin (& Hobbes)