Cloverfield Discussion Thread: Warning! Contains Spoilers!!!

Craiglowery

Do you guys remember the one teaser during the Transformers movie about these kids having a party in NYC, then all of sudden something attacks the city?

For those who dont remember:

Teaser:

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufYF0f-zMgY

Its produced by JJ Abrams.

It looks like another Godzilla flick but I really want to see this.

You can watch the first 5 minutes of the movie here.

111-1.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a preview before "I Am Legend". Sounds interesting, I just wish they would have given more info...

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Most interesting thing is it seems it's gonna be done all in a single scene shot. Not a fan of shaky camera, but we'll see.

I doubt the entire movie is done with camera shakes, just that it was used in the trailer to give it an authentic feel. In any case, I was interested when I saw a preview for it in I Am Legend.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Not a fan of shaky camera, but we'll see.

I agree, it's the only thing thats putting me off of this film. It's become such a gimmick to use hand held camera's in films lately unfortunately.

Other than that the trailer seemed quite promising though.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I';ve been tracking this movie ever since I saw the first trailer back when Transformers came out, I cannot wait for it. The monster in the movie is a totally new invention, not something we have seen in prior movies, and its not NOT a Godzilla movie for those who think it is, the monster is known as "the parasite", nothing else is really known about it currently because they are being highly secretive about it. There are some still pictures around the web from the movie where peopel are coughing up blood and guys in biohazard suits are injecting people with stuff which suggests whatever it is is giving off some sort of disease, other stills also suggest that their are miniature forms of the monster because there are pictures of people pinning doors shut trying to stop something from coming through the other side.

If its a weekend I'm definitly going to a midnight showing :D

Yer, saw the first teaser trailer months ago when it was still an unentitled movie.

I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm hoping it's not a camcorder effort of a movie (a sci-fi version of Blair Witch lol)

Well then you're probably going to be dissapointed because the title "Cloverfield" comes from the tape that is recovered from the attack site. Basically what you are seeing in the movie is this tape that they codename "Cloverfield" which was recovered from this site. At least thats what is suggested from the material that is out there currently. However they do special effects and all the fancy hollywood stuff, but its shot in a first person sort of way with a camera. I think it'll make for a really cool effect.

The monster in the movie is a totally new invention, not something we have seen in prior movies, and its not NOT a Godzilla movie for those who think it is, the monster is known as "the parasite", nothing else is really known about it currently because they are being highly secretive about it. There are some still pictures around the web from the movie where peopel are coughing up blood and guys in biohazard suits are injecting people with stuff which suggests whatever it is is giving off some sort of disease, other stills also suggest that their are miniature forms of the monster because there are pictures of people pinning doors shut trying to stop something from coming through the other side.

I found some theories on what the monster might look like:

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

[hide]Picture

Glimpse of the monster

Monster.gif

[/hide]

111-1.jpg

what is it like war of the worlds? is it just one thing attacking?

starfox.jpg

Peppy: "Do a barrel roll!"

Fox: "That's your solution for everything..."

Peppy: "Just press Z or R twice!"

Fox: "No, Peppy..."

[quote name="Harrington"

I'm really looking forward to it' date=' but I'm hoping it's not a camcorder effort of a movie (a sci-fi version of Blair Witch lol)[/quote]

Thats exactly what I thought :XD:

But BW scared me :ohnoes:

Can't wait for it...looks awesome.

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

The monster in the movie is a totally new invention, not something we have seen in prior movies, and its not NOT a Godzilla movie for those who think it is, the monster is known as "the parasite", nothing else is really known about it currently because they are being highly secretive about it. There are some still pictures around the web from the movie where peopel are coughing up blood and guys in biohazard suits are injecting people with stuff which suggests whatever it is is giving off some sort of disease, other stills also suggest that their are miniature forms of the monster because there are pictures of people pinning doors shut trying to stop something from coming through the other side.

I found some theories on what the monster might look like:

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

[hide]Picture

Glimpse of the monster

Monster.gif

[/hide]

Thats not exactly a spoiler, its in the trailer, and it doesn't really give anything away as you can't tell what part of the monster that is nor what it looks like.

I liked "Snakes on a Plane". :| Weird name, but overall it was good. except for the inaccuracies (snakes climbing stairs, etc.) #-o

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

angel2w.gif

It looks awesome, I really hope it can be as good as its hyped up to be.

+1

Let's hope it's not like "Snakes in a Plane"

The entire point of snakes of a plane was to be a cheesy flick like that, it wasn't supposed to be serious.

(I loved it, btw. So funny)

Just a thought.

I saw the second trailer (The longer one) last night before AVPR.

What I found strikingly odd was the fact that some of the people seemed to be in buildings, but were running from something.

This leads me to believe that it is similar to one large monster not seen in a movie but a game.

Anyone remember Sin from FFX? Well it was a large sea creature which terrorized people and did large destruction like the Cloverfield monster does. But, Sin could also terrorize people on a personal scale with monsters that it had on its back and such.

Perhaps this cloverfield monster is a Large monster, but can send small ones after people on the ground.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Well, there was that one part in the trailer where the girl is in the tent behind the curtain and..distorts...so we can probably assume it infercts people with something, creating a small army of monster troops.

whalenuke.png

angel2w.gif

I'm just gonna wait before jumping to any theories, it could be pretty much anything. All we know is what the monster looks like (well, I do now anyway) and that it's attacking NYC. Looks great, I suppose they are very much going back to basics with a good old city destroying monster mashup, but it's great that although the storyline is edging on corny, it's pulling it off very well and very originally.

I think that this is what we're lacking in cinema these days. Everything's either a remake/comic book rip off or just a crap idea in the first place, what i'm wondering is who said it's wrong to use simple, tried and tested ideas and just pull them off really well?

Reakon this will definately be a hit this year and a great start to 2008 cinema. Bring it on!

logo.jpg