Prices of rares?

ilya

The prices of rares are very unstable these times, I was wondering what's coming next?

Red mask prices went from 29.6 to 28.1 (minimum price) in one day since the 3k gp limit came into place. I'm sure the rest of the rares are falling at a dramatic rate as well.

I keep trying to sell it at the lowest price by the time I log out and log back in the lowest price is even lower!

Some people say that the prices will never rise because there are no more merchanters but some people say they will.

So what should us the rare owners do? Should we keep the rares because they will rise in price later on? or sell them as fast as we can before the prices go even lower?

Discuss.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three rares *points to sig*, two I publicly acknowledge and one I don't... 8-).

These items are discontinued and cannot ever enter to the game, so to my knowledge although they will go down at some point, they are bound to go back up in the future as more exit the game. The only issue here is how long the owner decides to keep it through the dramatic price decrease.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Weren't red masks nearing 38M in December? :?

At any rate, I'm no stock broker, so I can't tell you whether to sell or buy. If you want to sell then go right for it; if you want to hold on to it then more power to ya.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

These items are discontinued and cannot ever enter to the game, so to my knowledge although they will go down at some point, they are bound to go back up in the future as more exit the game.

That's the mantra that rare owners keep chanting, but it's not necessarily true.

Rares are basically a fad item, their price increases fueled by large amounts of money and "investors" speculating on prices. The economy has just been changed fundamentally, and where they go from here is anyone's guess (though mine is "down a lot more, then maybe back up a bit").

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

hmm thanks for the replys but the problem is I can't sell it. i keep trying to do it at the lowest price in ge but noone buys them. Also I searched the forums and out of 30 or so topics only 1 of them was buying (and it had 4 pages of replys even tho the author allready bought it a long time ago).

But perphaps the prices will go up in a few months? to be honest I want money for skilling and etc but i just can't get rid of the damn mask :)

These items are discontinued and cannot ever enter to the game, so to my knowledge although they will go down at some point, they are bound to go back up in the future as more exit the game.

That's the mantra that rare owners keep chanting, but it's not necessarily true.

Rares are basically a fad item, their price increases fueled by large amounts of money and "investors" speculating on prices. The economy has just been changed fundamentally, and where they go from here is anyone's guess (though mine is "down a lot more, then maybe back up a bit").

Well, theoretically it's true. As long as no more rares will enter the game, it will be bound for a price raise. So fundamentally, I splurged all my cash on rares, lowered it to my bottom of my where I can't see it, and started to make the cash I lost. It's there so whenever I need the huge boost of cash I can sell it. You're right in many ways though, but I'm positive that it will rebound back to its glorious price. =P~

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I think they'll drop a good bit more, people will sell like crazy, and then more people will buy at low prices making the prices rise back up.

Doesn't really matter to me though, I don't have enough money for a rare and if I did I'd spend it on something that wasn't acctually worthless. Just my opinion.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Well, theoretically it's true. As long as no more rares will enter the game, it will be bound for a price raise.

Sorry, but this claim is fundamentally flawed. Everyone keeps saying it, but that doesn't make it any less flawed.

The supply is small and won't be increasing, true, but price is dependent on both supply *and* demand. Right now demand for these items is dropping.

Since so much of the market for them is built on basically nothing (speculation, bragging rights, merchanting, and players who have now left) there is nothing to suggest that the price will necessarily return to what it once was. When bubbles burst, sometimes they recover to their former highs, but sometimes they do not.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Dunno about last month, but I sold a red mask last year for 38M (and last year not meaning 4 days ago, but a couple months ago :lol:)

Rares won't always keep going up if nobody wants them. As qeltar said, in order for an item to go up in price there needs to be a large demand for it. If there's a medium/low supply of an item but no demand, how can it go up?

Anyway from my experience, people tend to do a lot more selling than buying when new a new skill is being released. So right now there's just more supply than demand. I think the prices will settle down a bit in a couple weeks/months once people calm down about the recent updates. But don't take my word for it, as nobody can really make an accurate prediction like this :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

if you're looking for a high return rate upon investing, rares are not the way to go

you sacrifice alot of opportunity cost from buying a rare that will go +-5m a month

i do enjoy watching people buy santas in december before christmas thinking they will go up :P

Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't Andrew and the rest of jagex said how much of a mistake it was for rares and how much they hated them? Now with jagex virtually controlling the prices of everything through the grand exchange and the new 3k price limit. Jagex staff will imo just slowly keep lowering the price on them. Till they are pretty much free. . . . .

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

Dunno about last month, but I sold a red mask last year for 38M (and last year not meaning 4 days ago, but a couple months ago :lol:)

Rares won't always keep going up if nobody wants them. As qeltar said, in order for an item to go up in price there needs to be a large demand for it. If there's a medium/low supply of an item but no demand, how can it go up?

Exactly. There's an extremely low supply of black spears ingame, but do they have a high price? No. It's because they're useless, and nobody wants them.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Would make sense that they dont hit rock bottom, Rare low numbered items truly never plumitt if they are regarded as discontinued/collectable, lets take sports cards for instant. price is equivilent to players hype/legend/stats but rare cards limited in production normally hold some value regardless of the player is a flop or uncollectable. rares will too. Currently I see most big ticket items facing a large downward spiral. lots of players quit, have no consumer confidence so prices and demand is soft.

however when the dust settles, i see them picking back up, the question is where does the dust settle?

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I bought a santa right around 17m when prices were plumiting, I expect them to go back up but I've got plenty of time to wait (got all the money I need right now).

lol, it's so nice to be able to say that "I got cash!" And not worry as much about a hacker.

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Personally, I think that the price of rares has always been a little over-inflated. I bought my santa a little while ago for 23m... now look at the prices now :(

I think that prices will go back up, it will take some time, as merchanting has been shot in the leg.

~Hawt

Proud owner of a santa

227161.png

My hawt blawggeh

Don't worry guys I freak out when I see a girl too. One time I went outside and there was a girl so I quickly ran inside because I was so excited!

Well, theoretically it's true. As long as no more rares will enter the game, it will be bound for a price raise.

Sorry, but this claim is fundamentally flawed. Everyone keeps saying it, but that doesn't make it any less flawed.

The supply is small and won't be increasing, true, but price is dependent on both supply *and* demand. Right now demand for these items is dropping.

Since so much of the market for them is built on basically nothing (speculation, bragging rights, merchanting, and players who have now left) there is nothing to suggest that the price will necessarily return to what it once was. When bubbles burst, sometimes they recover to their former highs, but sometimes they do not.

I consider rares like any collectible. Just like fine art in the real world.

There's only so many Picasso's, Monet's, and Remington sculptures.

And Prices for them do ebb and flow just like rares in this game.

Prices decrease, but they WILL go back up. It's only a matter of time. And seeing as I'm willing to wait years, there's no doubt the "mantra" will prove correct.

Players that dislike rares being expensive investments can attempt to "talk down" about them, AND the idea that they will go back up.

But in the end we all only have past performance to base any claims on.

I base my position that rares WILL go back up on the fact that they've consistently done so since their introduction. And see no reason for them to stop doing that once the economy settles down.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

Exactly. There's an extremely low supply of black spears ingame, but do they have a high price? No. It's because they're useless, and nobody wants them.

There will always be players that want something that's hard to get.

Rares are that item. I see players that swam in a sea of money suddenly finding themselves without their "easy" ways to make hundreds of millions. These players are now panic selling. As they think it's impossible to play RS without making tens of millions a day, they want to make sure their suddenly "suspect" investments are in nice "safe" cash.

I don't know when the prices of rares will bottom out. If summoning can be leveled very quickly with tons of cash I bet the prices will drop even more as players sell even MORE rares to get liquidity.

But eventually the playerbase WILL stop worrying about "surviving" this economic mess.

And once that is over, players will start to worry more about making money again.

Once prices on rares start going up players will start merching them again, and we shall see how long that "bubble" lasts.

MY opinion is that because Jagex can now, if they wish, lower the price of rares continually.....

AND my reasoning for this is that jagex never intended for them to be horded for large amounts of cash.....

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

so what you guys are saying is that the prices WILL go back up no matter what it's just a matter of time? I guess I oculd wait I don't think i need that 30m anyways since i have 20m cash pile to skill:) I can always wait.

Anyways keep predicting I like the posts here.

so what you guys are saying is that the prices WILL go back up no matter what it's just a matter of time? I guess I oculd wait I don't think i need that 30m anyways since i have 20m cash pile to skill:) I can always wait.

Anyways keep predicting I like the posts here.

Unless the poster above you is right, yes. And by "just a matter of time" it MAY mean years.

And while I HOPE he's wrong, with the way Jagex has been caught lying about the way the GE works lately he may not be.

I have no doubt if Jagex wishes it they would do it.

As much as im down on jagex recently, i highly doubt they will lower rare prices. As it has been said in countless posts, there was a phat dupe and they had their best opportunity to rid the game or rares completely. Yet they didn't, and to my knowledge they banned a few people and thats about it.

If you keep puting rares on the ge at its lowest price and updating it, as im sure many people are doing, prices will continue to drop.

Rares a don't believe are a "bubble" product either. The trends of rares always fluctuate when there is and economic change or when a skill comes out.

I wouldn't advise owning a rare if its all your money into it. IMO i would hold onto it, im fairly confident it will rise again.

swordwarior.png