Tip.it Times Presents: Jagex, I want a GOOD update!

MPM

i really loved the 'Kill RWT' update!!!!

i trained weeks to get my woodcutting up to 60 so i could cut yews and then sell them for good money, then to get the disappointment of my life when i went to the yews and saw an entire army of bots running around the trees.

then, when i finally got a full inventory of yews, found out that yews weren't that good moneymakers after all

SCREW ALL BOTS AND AUTO-ERS!!!!!!!!!!!

heres another tip.

Dark bows suck and bots will always exsist...

in fact..i saw on a site now that there accumulating the wealth on an account then selling the account.

*sigh* jagex, you screwed up :wall:

they didn't screw up, thats just what you think

a wonderful rea,d really expresses that issue of people saying we need a certain update, then when they get ti they flame it

there is no point to sell acounts

there is no ways to trade items over

they didnt screw up

filewf5.gif

rarely ever check forums.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great article. it's been a while since they've been this good. I miss the articles from the editor every week. :(

Anyways, i like how this one will finally explain to a lot of people what i thought of the RWT updates: Jagex is just doing it for the good of Runescape. As a shark fisher, I knew what the bots and RWT's were doing to RS, as the price of sharks fell ALOT when the mass invasion of bots occurred. So, I'm glad that now it's going to be really hard/impossible to make real money this way off of Runescape.

Oh yeah, and once again, Great Article.

But those prices are staying the same; the Gesta- I mean Jagex, has set prices at the old rates for "our own good".
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

I think it can be condensed a lot. It was a pretentious read.

On 12/10/07, Jagex emerged victorious from their war against the mechanical swarms of Real World Traders.

But in the battle, we, the spectators, lost one of our closest friends...

We will always remember you, Merchanting. May the question live on.

Question.jpg

This is probably the best tip.it times article I've ever read. Its avery good one! Good work!

<3: Etpelletier 8-)

Ty Veyron for Siggy help!

Finally, a decent article.

At first with the RWTing updates I was thinking, "Ok, why are they doing this? It makes no sense and nobody cares." But now I've changed my mind. Runescape is now pretty much rid of 2 of the 3 things runescapers hate most: scammers and bots. The last one is hackers, but they've been cut off a little too.

There's a thread in the Official Runescape Forums that I co-run, and we are fighting for our "good update". In our minds it's high level skill updates, quest continuations, high level mage updates, high level combat updates, and fun. Many people think that there have been a lot of high level updates, but there was really only one last year: God Wars Dungeon, and it was only combat. There needs to be a balance between skills and combat in runescape. Dark bow, dfs, and godswords don't go above 75, and that is not high leveled, so they don't count.

I can see where people are coming from with the cook-x thing though. If there was a new "fish-x" feature, and people started getting 99 fishing left and right, I'd feel like I didn't accomplish anything. I guess it's different though since you aren't constantly clicking. Btw, I have 99 fishing.

Anyways, great article and I hope you write some more.

PS: The thread quickfind code is 27-28-390-54805489.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

Good read. Welldone. I liked it.

Btw a good update is a skill requirement over 70 thats usefull. A quest with a requirement of atleast 70+ to even attempt.. An update that has a 70+ skill requirement that isnt replace a week later with something around level 30 that either makes more money, faster xp or both. Grr! lol?

Like they did with slayer bow thing or the lummy banks lol? Woot finally a bank in lummy after that long annoying quest!! ....*Week later update: FREE LUMMY LOFT BANK!* \' :XD: <.< ?? :uhh:

:wall:

As a quest master, I know a lot about quests (hopefully=P), so I've done them all and know what is a good and bad quest (for me).

I like quests with logic puzzles and where you have to think (even though I used a guide on MEP2, I still loved the thought you would of needed. Would of hated being a member on that release=P). I also like story lines that you can believe and submerge yourself into. Boss battles are ok, but they're easy usually, and if I needed a boss fight, why not go to the chaos element or something? And about the item gathering thing, its kinda annoying. Going off of the recent quest, why did I have to get 10 gold artifacts when I already played the game so many times that I got a Pharaoh scepter? That was boring to me.

So puzzles and story lines are what I look for in a quest, I'm sure not everyone does, but I do, even though I try and get the quest done as fast as possible, I still read what the NPC have to say=)

Players.jpg

Siggy-1.jpg

As a quest master, I know a lot about quests (hopefully=P), so I've done them all and know what is a good and bad quest (for me).

I like quests with logic puzzles and where you have to think (even though I used a guide on MEP2, I still loved the thought you would of needed. Would of hated being a member on that release=P). I also like story lines that you can believe and submerge yourself into. Boss battles are ok, but they're easy usually, and if I needed a boss fight, why not go to the chaos element or something? And about the item gathering thing, its kinda annoying. Going off of the recent quest, why did I have to get 10 gold artifacts when I already played the game so many times that I got a Pharaoh scepter? That was boring to me.

So puzzles and story lines are what I look for in a quest, I'm sure not everyone does, but I do, even though I try and get the quest done as fast as possible, I still read what the NPC have to say=)

I'm with you on this one! :mrgreen: I love quests and I use quest requirements for short term skilling goals. Even though I have used quest guides to get my Quest Cape, I still enjoy reading the dialogs and having a good laugh at a joke.

Oh and anything that gets rid of bots, real-world traders and scammers is all right with me. :thumbsup:

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

heres another tip.

in fact..i saw on a site now that there accumulating the wealth on an account then selling the account.

Where did dark bows enter into this discussion? Admittedly, they could be considered a part due to the fact that they're an update, but that was a little random. And the point remains that MOST autoers have been decimated. Even if not, who's going to buy a level-3 character with insane amounts of money? Is it any fun to have loads of money you can't do anything with? And even that's a temporary measure, and is now impossible, because there's no way to trade money to the account now. It's not impossible to sell gold any more. The point of the updates really wasn't to do that. All Jagex have done are make the business so slow and time-consuming, due to the fact that now methods of RWT'ing have to be so convoluted and twisted to get past the security measures recently implemented, that it's simply unprofitably and agonizingly slow to transfer gold between accounts. And as I stated before - nobody wants to give up their hard-earned account for an account that has nothing but its gold on it. Overall? Jagex didn't screw up. Of course, it's always a matter of opinion.

Anyways, on to the real topic of the article. Truth is, there's no such thing as a good update, which was really where the author was pointing. At least, that's the sense I got from it. It's technically impossible to make an update that's considered good by everyone, because there will always be certain people in any crowd that are polar opposites of each other. And the larger the crowd, the higher the likelihood. Even if, however, you refuse to believe the face that this is true, you'll still be unable to refute the fact that you will be able to find some combination of people that have no completely common interests whatsoever. For instance, Person A likes skilling and questing. Person B likes questing and combat. Person C likes combat and skilling. Therefore, if these are the three possible updates, it's impossible to have a good update. And while I'll be the first to admit that this is a seriously dumbed-down version of what we have with Runescape, I feel completely confident in saying that it is utterly impossible to find a common thread of interest in a crowd as large as the gaming population a game as large as Runescape services. Therefore, it is technically impossible to create a good update.

However, by the same logic, it is technically impossible to create a bad update. If you update questing, hey? Guess what? Persons A and B are happy. Skilling? A and C are in their element! And should you update combat, those bloodthirsty B and C are quite happy with their newfound ability for slaughter. And I'll say again - this is dumbed down! But it's impossible to find a common thread of hatred in a population as large as the gaming community we have in this game. In fact, even among TIF'ers, it would be impossible. Hell, you could probably go to the Varrock Library, search through its regulars (of which there certainly aren't many!) and never be able to find either a common thread of interest or hatred, although it has a higher likelihood of occurring there, since in a themed forum it would stand to reason that the regulars all have similar interests in one area, at least. However, the point still stands that in a community as large and as diverse as the Runescape players' community, it's dead impossible. So, bad? No way, I'll find you somebody who likes it! Good? Yeah right! I'll get you someone who hates it with all their heart.

Very well written, Armadyllo, it's been a good while since anyone could provoke me into this length of post, and it's certainly never happened in General. Thank you!

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

i really loved the 'Kill RWT' update!!!!

i trained weeks to get my woodcutting up to 60 so i could cut yews and then sell them for good money, then to get the disappointment of my life when i went to the yews and saw an entire army of bots running around the trees.

then, when i finally got a full inventory of yews, found out that yews weren't that good moneymakers after all

SCREW ALL BOTS AND AUTO-ERS!!!!!!!!!!!

heres another tip.

Real world money must be going up in prices, because rwt is nearly impossible, and selling accounts takes time to train and accumulate money. Less ppl will be interested in buying accounts, because most of them just want money for their main.=> Less buyers in RWT-system, meaning less gold farmers. Jagex didn't screw up. The blew they delivered to real world traders is of great importance, and shows how much jagex cares about his game.

On topic: Very good read: to me it makes clear that there are no "GOOD" updates, because there will always be rants about it.But the rants will die down. (look at decembers update and Januari 2: riots for a few days, but eventually things calm down) Updates which seem not so good for me, might turn out to be in my advantage, because others might like them.

Maybe skillers will find summoning not that good, because they want to stay at their lvl 3 combat. but summoning might require new items, items made by skillers, making the prices go up. so skillers benifit.

The sad part is that alot of ppl don't use logn term vision, and compare pros and cons of an update. They get a first impression of an update, and without any reflection about it, they stick to that first impression.

~Prozac~

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

I skimmed over your article, and it looks like a good read. However, I cringe when I read players' hate of updates happening to rs2. I don't even play either version of runescape, but updates displeasing to players have happened before, and they'll happen again. I'm talking about things such as:

- Fatigue;

- Mods ceasing to even log on to actually moderate their game (I'm aware that's hardly an update, but more of a gradual thing that happened);

- Worlds being deleted left, right and center...

And of course, ultimately:

- The real runescape turning into a dead game called 'classic'.

Please, do not get my post mixed up with a lot of the nonsense I read on these forums trying to strike up an argument, but I believe you rs2'ers really have it easy. Look how screwed over loyal rs1 players were who didn't like rs2. I played the beta, and thought it was horrible. It's nothing like the old runescape and now because of a few updates that displease the majority of rs2, it's constant complaints.

Also, don't think I'm some nostalgic kid who is yearning to see runescape classic make a comeback, because you'd literally have to be deluded to even dream that. However, you guys really have had it a lot better, so I suggest to just bit your lip and get on with it.

Rs1 - X dsp x (84 pure plate) - Retired a long time ago

i catch myself agreeing with all your recent posts, hannibal ::'

:P I'm glad. I remember your name from way back on old, old scapeboards. You've always had that 'pass the bhang' sig if I remember correctly. :P

i catch myself agreeing with all your recent posts, hannibal ::'

:P I'm glad. I remember your name from way back on old, old scapeboards. You've always had that 'pass the bhang' sig if I remember correctly. :P

didnt u play char named hannibal88 on rs1??

and ya hehe i cant get rid of this sig :P

Yeah, it was literally my first character around non-pk/pk times, then started a pure 'da str pka'... with no relation to da str tep lol. I can vaguely remember talking to you in game at some point actually a long time ago, or it may have been on these forums. Argh, my memory sucks ;--\\

how bout the poeple who may have gotten 99 in mining when there was still fatigue (and you needed a sleeping bag)..now that took perseverence...

Why would 99 mining be harder in rsc? All ores are auto dropped at full inventory compared to now, which you have to do a series of quick clicks to get rid of 3-4 ores.

Truth is, there's no such thing as a good update, which was really where the author was pointing.

I'm sure everyone would be happy if there is a bank organisation update or just some bank space.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

Best article i have read in a while. I think the click-x options are a good idea that should be made available to other skills when new skills are being introduced. I think making some of the older skills easier is a good idea because there are so many skills now. The players who have been around longer should not complain as they have a head start in terms of xp and they can use the new methods of training themselves.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

I personally think the update was in the best intrests of runescape. I hate it but i can't argue with something that will in the long run help me. Around June-July of 07 I remember that a lot of people were acusing Jagex of milking their cash cow to the point where it was simply a money making machine and wasn't being designed for fun. This update put all acusations to death, Jagex must have lost a large amount of subscribers in their attempt to end RWT.

On topic though: A well written article which i enjoyed reading.

I personally think the update was in the best intrests of runescape. I hate it but i can't argue with something that will in the long run help me. Around June-July of 07 I remember that a lot of people were acusing Jagex of milking their cash cow to the point where it was simply a money making machine and wasn't being designed for fun. This update put all acusations to death, Jagex must have lost a large amount of subscribers in there attempt to end RWT.

On topic though: A well written article which i enjoyed reading.

I agree with you. The mining guild hasn't been this enjoyable in years.

I usually like all the updates because I just like doing new things, and I usually go back to doing the same things after I play the updates, but this month I'm not happy with the updates, I think they're awful, not only did I not care that much about RWT that I would entirely change the game and cause thousands of people to stop playing, but even if Jagex had to do that they could have done it far better than they did.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]